Answered

I think I've made an expensive mistake.

• 13 December 2017
  • 93 replies

Alexa - what a piece of junk. I'm serious. :@

I ask it to play a group (Cream today) and it will either play one, or if I'm lucky two songs then stop. Or if it does move to a third song it plays rap. Rap for God's sake. The last thing I want to listen to is rap crap.

I asked it to play sixties music today. Two songs and silence.

It has become very obvious to me that the people who program this device do not know what they are doing.

A lot of money for a piece of garbage. Merry Christmas to my wife.... not.
icon

Best answer by Tek_Freek 3 January 2018, 02:24

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

93 replies

Amazon will replace all the parts. That just might be the best solution.
They did that once for a speaker defect in a Dot, and now I have a free Dot lying at home because it is too expensive for them to pick it up! On which the speaker works these days...so this worked for me:-).

For my specific issue I would not let them do this even if they offered because it is not the solution; I tried replacing Dots in the same location and stuttering continued.

I also agree that with updates exposing network issues that cause system stoppages, Sonos would release far fewer ones than it does. But that seems to be what the market wants, as it gets bored in a hurry with how the app looks and looking old fashioned is supposedly a sales killer these days. I could not be bothered if the app looked and functioned exactly as it did when I bought Sonos in 2011, as the desktop controller largely does, but apparently I am a very small minority that does not crave cosmetic refreshes.

With wireless systems at home, let sleeping dogs lie is always a good idea. Unfortunately, every one of the frequent updates will have them all barking away and breaking things.

All this said, ever since I reserved IP addresses in my router, and used a Boost wired to the router to anchor my Sonos net in 2014, every update has been flawless with no stoppages. The only reason I still hate updates is the consequent forced relearning of how the new looking app works.
It's early yet, but. A BIG BUT.

I found a reference to firewalls. https://sonos.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/4268

When I went to the little slide out box to open Norton (The one by the calendar - see below) I notice Windows Defender was there. It's never shown up before. I think the recent Windows update may have activated it. So I found how to turn it off. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_other-security/do-need-to-run-windows-defender-if-i-have-norton/85dd02b7-1722-4dd3-8f09-2c76acd956c7?auth=1

I added Alexa back in, asked her to play the Doors and it's playing the second song. Scratch that - fourth song. I just may have figured this out. Stubbornness and perseverance do pay off sometimes.

So if I have found my solution I can hope it helps others. Fingers crossed.

The right pointing arrow

Sixth song - Hot damn!!
Badge
Chris, here is my issue with the fix you suggest: I should not have to do this. Every single product I have that connects to my Wi-Fi network works seamlessly, with the exception of the Playbar. Fixing my router is not something I should have to go through because I purchased a Sonos product. It is absolutely unacceptable, even if it works, for a user to have to spend time diagnosing issues, wait half an hour on hold, then adjust their router when other products using Wi-Fi and the exact same applications have no issue. That is an inherent problem in how the product connects to the Wi-Fi network on its own, and you cannot expect people with very little IT experience to start messing with router configurations.
Badge
Thanks Kumar and Tek_Freek, glad things are working! I will give it a shot.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
I don't agree abear33. Many times the Sonos issue is not Sonos but those other devices that are holding on to IP addresses they shouldn't have to.

About every single time my iphone gets a firmware it will corrupt its IP address. That's a fact.

When a Sonos unit boots and gets an IP address from the router that is already being used by another device that is not the fault of Sonos (but the reboot sure made the issue happen). The issue is the router not knowing another device is still holding on to that lease (so in most circumstances it is the other device that is the issue).

I know when I first had the problem with my Sonos years ago it was an older slingbox that was holding on to an IP address that my router assigned to my Connect:Amp.

Saying it doesn't happen is just ignoring the facts for your own narrative. Facts are the more network devices you have the more issues you have. Getting help and fixing properly actually isn't difficult but you also can't be stubborn enough to just say "I shouldn't have to deal with it because well I shouldn't"
Userlevel 7
Badge +19
Hey there, Tek_Freek. Thanks for posting. Glad to see you were able to get further than 2 songs. If you run into more problems after making these changes to your firewall, feel free to reach back out. I'm happy to take a look and advise. Additionally, I noticed you opened 3 tickets with our email team on the 31st of December. As a heads up, you are likely to get responses from a technician for each ticket opened. You can continue to work with them instead if you so choose.
Badge
Nobody should have to deal with sub par customer support. This is a problem that arose in the last couple months, nothing has changed in my household since I first purchased the product so blaming it on additional network devices seems illogical. I am not ignoring facts for my own narrative; I have had no problems with other devices and experienced less than productive assistance from Sonos. I have sent half a dozen emails to Sonos and waited on hold during their inconvenient call center hours, so no, I should not have to deal with that.

And if the router is assigning IP addresses incorrectly, why is it not affecting other devices? I am certainly not an IT expert, but I expect a product to work well without such problems, and I am certainly not alone. Run an online search surrounding playback issues of Sonos products and there are hundreds of people experiencing similar problems. It's not too much to ask that a product work as advertised.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
product works as advertised ... a few hundred people asking for help vs. millions units sold does not equal a Sonos issue. It equals people needing help with their network issues because inherently networks will develop issues. Be in as much denial as you want but I'm sure your problems can be easily remedied with a little troubleshooting.
Badge
If a "little trouble shooting" was the only problem then the multiple emails with Sonos should have fixed it. Your responses fail to consider the fact that I have spent several hours on the phone and over email on this matter already.

And having worked in the consumer electronics industry I do not agree
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
ok disagree then. I will go back to listening to my 13 troublefree Sonos Zones.
why is it not affecting other devices?
Other uses like browsing do not need the stability needed for continuous music streaming in a multi room environment: if your browser stutters, you won't even notice it the way you will if music does.
Badge
13 zones? Is that so you can play your own theme music as you walk from one room to another admiring your unlimited resources? For the rest of us that actually work and do not spend our free time in forums unless we are having difficulties, wasting hours with customer support is not ideal.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Insult me as you may .... you decide if you want it to work or not its up to you.

In turn, as most customers don't come on the board that have no issues, you don't get the thousands of people to come on here to praise how great Sonos works right out of the box do you.
Still playing....:)
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Great news Tek_Freek
I did not adjust the router. I adjusted Norton Internet Security and Windows Defender.

Nobody should have to deal with sub par customer support. This is a problem that arose in the last couple months, nothing has changed in my household since I first purchased the product so blaming it on additional network devices seems illogical. I am not ignoring facts for my own narrative; I have had no problems with other devices and experienced less than productive assistance from Sonos. I have sent half a dozen emails to Sonos and waited on hold during their inconvenient call center hours, so no, I should not have to deal with that.

And if the router is assigning IP addresses incorrectly, why is it not affecting other devices? I am certainly not an IT expert, but I expect a product to work well without such problems, and I am certainly not alone. Run an online search surrounding playback issues of Sonos products and there are hundreds of people experiencing similar problems. It's not too much to ask that a product work as advertised.
and Windows Defender.

Chris, here is my issue with the fix you suggest: I should not have to do this. Every single product I have that connects to my Wi-Fi network works seamlessly, with the exception of the Playbar. Fixing my router is not something I should have to go through because I purchased a Sonos product. It is absolutely unacceptable, even if it works, for a user to have to spend time diagnosing issues, wait half an hour on hold, then adjust their router when other products using Wi-Fi and the exact same applications have no issue. That is an inherent problem in how the product connects to the Wi-Fi network on its own, and you cannot expect people with very little IT experience to start messing with router configurations.
Userlevel 7
Badge +19
abear33: You have been working with us over email about this problem since the beginning of December. Shortly after giving some recommendations, we didn't hear from you and closed the ticket. A new ticket has since been opened with the same problem, and you were again recommended to call in so we can work together through a remote session and troubleshoot with you in real time. I second that recommendation as the ticket explains that the problems you are experiencing have to do with your local network and how UPnP traffic is being routed on the network. We understand that not everyone is an IT expert, which is why we offer remote sessions to remove that burden and get you up and running ASAP.

After a quick look at the tickets, your problem may have something to do with these HomePlugs you are using. Sonos is not supported on PowerLine network devices.
Looks like my rants are over. LOL.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
It can be frustrating! You just want it to work!
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Sounds like good support to me Keith N.
Userlevel 7
Not to rain on someone’s parade…but I guess I am.

Reference to Firewall’s specs set by Norton. Norton is a SOFTWARE running on a computer. All of the Norton settings made are resident to that one piece of hardware and affects only how it (the computer) will interact with traffic over one’s network.

Conversely, Sonos performance relative to Norton are only affected when using the Sonos App resident on that computer. If using the Sonos App on an iPhone or compatible tablet the settings made to the Norton software on the computer have no influence over how Sonos performs.

The only configuration that would globally affect Sonos performance (using a computer, iPhone or tablet) with respect to a firewall or port settings would be those made at the HARDWARE level or more specifically at the ROUTER.

I have an Asus AC5300 Router Tri-Band router and it’s locked down tighter than a melted engine block. I have no problems streaming on any of my Wi-Fi enabled devices. I also run BitDefender on my computers with Windows Defender adjusted down to a secondary periodic background scan. My point being that having an understanding of how Wi-Fi works (or router configuration) solves/prevents a multitude of issues. I might also add that I use a Boost Component (not a speaker) setup with my Sonos which is what I always recommend. Some will use a Sonos speaker to accomplish the Boost but I prefer the dedicated Boost component.

What I have been leading up to is….

This is a great forum to get help and learn about Sonos. However, a lot of the finger pointing at Sonos IMO is unwarranted. The majority of the issues by my observation always come back to two things:

Lack of user knowledge which is one reason why this forum exists (we all have learn); and the biggest one IMO_NETWORK issues.

Network issues are always going to be the prime suspect. However, blaming Sonos is not going to resolve the problem. Sonos cannot possibly in a million years anticipate the multiplicity of network setups that consumers will have in their homes. The UPnP (Universal Plug n’ Play) touted by manufacturers of networking equipment is the biggest misnomer since it was believed that the Sun revolved around the Earth. The Sonos speaker is a relatively simple setup it’s the networks that cause the issues.

To be fair I will allow that Sonos has made a few missteps with the Sonos App upgrades. People don’t like change…but guess what…change is inevitable. It’s the price we pay for improvements and progress.

Bottom-line…understanding networking is key. If you don’t understand it that’s OK…get help from a friend or the neighbors kid down the street. Remember, you can always call Sonos if you don’t mind the wait. Cheers!
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
very good summary ajtrek
Badge
Keith, I have already tried disconnecting the powerline components, no change. The Playbar is not connected through this extension which is used to extend wireless to a separate building.

I am not saying the static IP fix won't work, and never said that, nor am I am saying it is not a network issue. My question has always been, why do other devices streaming the same applications not experience the same problem? That has me feeling that it may be a network issue, but one specific to Sonos. These other devices come in and out of the network regularly, so would they not experience the same IP issue? This is not a challenge, just trying to understand the problem.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
The answer was above. Many other devices will have network issues but you don't see the symptoms because they will just repeatedly try connections and slowly get them. You never notice because a half second disconnect browsing a webpage you can't see.

My iPhone when it has ip address conflict seems to work. Then all of a sudden when I try to do something that requires specific network protocols I will find the phone isn't working properly. It's very dependent on what the device is trying to do and how sensitive it is to network timeouts and issues.