Answered

Drop in on Alexa

• 19 December 2018
  • 56 replies

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

56 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +26

Please can someone from Sonos please provide an update on this? The lack of this functionality is disappointing and am seriously retuconsidering my recently purchased Sonos and ditching the brand completely!

Hi  Demus, the message above from Keith is still accurate. We’ll make sure the team knows people are still asking for this feature, but there’s no update or news to share right now.

Badge

Please can someone from Sonos please provide an update on this? The lack of this functionality is disappointing and am seriously retuconsidering my recently purchased Sonos and ditching the brand completely!

I have the sonos play 1 with Alexa and wanted to use the drop in feature to call the echo dots around the house but can't seem to find this on the menu for the sonos has anyone got this working or is it not available if so will it be added to an update soon?

Did you forward this request to the dev team,  really? One year ago,  and no update… please do again...

I agree. This was a huge disappointment. All the marketing online as well as in a well known national electronic store   If the device is limited you should make that clear ! I use my drop in feature from my phone to my child when he is grounded from his phone even. So when I purchased the Sonos one I expected it to perform for a smart device (echo) as well as a smart speaker. So who ever is having the power struggle between the two companies. Both of you need to pull your heads out of your asses before the consumer finds an attorney that will take you both on for false advertising. Both of you are profiting! 

Alexa Drop In feature missing :-(

Won't buy any other Sonos as planned before Alexa Drop In us included...!

•  
  •  
  •  

I agree. This was a huge disappointment. All the marketing online as well as in a well known national electronic store   If the device is limited you should make that clear ! I use my drop in feature from my phone to my child when he is grounded from his phone even. So when I purchased the Sonos one I expected it to perform for a smart device (echo) as well as a smart speaker. So who ever is having the power struggle between the two companies. Both of you need to pull your heads out of your asses before the consumer finds an attorney that will take you both on for false advertising. Both of you are profiting! 

I actually purchased two One SL's and returned them to purchase then One's with Alexa for the sole purpose of having the integration for drop in and announcements as our house is spread out. Such sham! They need to correct this ASAP or stop advertising as full Alexa integration.

I’ve personally never seen where they advertised the Sonos One as having a “full Alexa integration”.  Could you post a link to that claim?  

I actually purchased two One SL's and returned them to purchase then One's with Alexa for the sole purpose of having the integration for drop in and announcements as our house is spread out. Such sham! They need to correct this ASAP or stop advertising as full Alexa integration.

Another disappointed customer here, who is desperately hoping for Drop in for Alexa to be added to the Sonos one and Beam please.

I do notice that they have added a disclaimer to the marketing material now though, I hope this isn’t a sign that it will never come.

No support for Alexa Routines, Drop In, calling and messaging features

I am a Sonos early adopter and love the products for music. Very disappointing that the Alexa drop in feature is not supported.  I bought this for my son’s room to upgrade his music experience from an echo dot.  I use the drop feature on the echo dot all the time.  Any updates if this will ever be supported?  

Agreed. That's a massively disappointing oversight on what is otherwise a great product.  However, Drop In is not a gimmick, for some its essential.  

Sonos, please update us as to when this is going to be rectified.

Please add me to that list 

It’s odd that you can use announcements but not the drop in feature.  If there is a Sonos moderator, it would be helpful to “hear” from you.

Is there room for another voice in the chorus of voices calling for this to be fixed?  I just bought my son a Sonos One precisely to make use of the Drop In feature.  If I knew that Alexa only had limited functionality I might have “just” got him a Play 1, or let him get the Bluetooth speakers he originally wanted.

Alexa is NOT “built-in” to Sonos Ohe - it’s some kind of impaired digital relative that is actually built-in. Sad and misleading. 

Here’s another vote for Drop In functionality on Sonos. I have the Sonos One which replaced an Echo, but I am missing the ease of drop in.

C’mon, Sonos. Either fix this or let your community know what the hold up is. Promoting Sonos products as “all the benefits of a smart speaker” is kinda BS if you can’t do things like Drop-in. Ridiculous that I’ve gotta buy an Echo dot and stick it right next to a Sonos One just to add this feature. 

Please add Alexa drop in or I may have to drop my Sonos. It was understood that I could use it same way I use echo devices

Is this a limitation from Amazon or due to development priority from Sonos?

Nobody knows, and Sonos isn’t telling.

Please Implement Drop in on the Sonos Beam plus the Gen 2 does not make sense why some of the commands ie Alexa are not available.

Is this a limitation from Amazon or due to development priority from Sonos?

Userlevel 1

I just set up a new One & OneSL as stereo pair to replace an Echo Dot, only to find that Drop In doesn't work. This is a must-have feature in that room as it is remote from the rest of the house. Seems I have to disable Alexa on Sonos One altogether to have the Dot continue to work alongside, which is totally pointless! May well return the Sonos One and stick with OneSL + Dot. Very disappointing! Any plans to implement Drop In?

Great feature to add if Amazon lets you!

I get your point, but saying it has “all the benefits of a smart speaker” is not the same thing as saying it can do everything than an echo can do it.  “Smart speaker” is much more generic , as is “benefits”.  Technically, all the sonos speakers are smart speakers since smart speaker does not mean voice control.  Sonos speakers were classified as smart speakers before echos were even sold, although I think the definition has changed to require voice assistant. 

In general, marketing material is designed to get you to want to buy the product, not to be perfectly clear on everything that the product can and can’t do.  I try and avoid making any assumptions and look into more details, ask questions, when there is a particular function I’m interested in that isn’t clearly documented.

So saying it has all features of a smart speaker isn’t true  false advertisement also in the store I was told it dose everything the same as Alexa.

Userlevel 1

Any update on this. Would be a very useful feature to have

Userlevel 3
Badge +3
I use calling and "find my phone" features a lot. It is very annoying to not be able to use this in my Alexa Sonos rooms.