Answered

Alexa voice assist stops working S2

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

68 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge +1

I don’t know if this makes any difference but for reference:
Living Room: paired gen2 Play:5’s with gen2 sub
Office: paired gen1 One’s
Move

Alexa works on all with S2.
I use S2 on Galaxy Note 8 and on Windows 10.

When S1 first appeared I ran Update.
I installed S2 app on my phone and ran Update, then installed S2 for Windows.
With Alexa app on my phone I disabled, then reenabled the Sonos skill.

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Okay, I rebooted the router, reset my Sonos to factory settings, reset the Sonos app, deleted everything from the Alexa app and readded it. 

I can’t control any of my smart home devices and I’m not able to use Alexa to play anything from Spotify. I’m only able to use the Sonos app to play music on my Sonos One. 

Okay, it’s never a good idea to reset your Sonos device but… Have you Enabled the Sonos skill in the Alexa App? If you open the Sonos App>Settings>Voice & Services>Amazon Alexa do you see your Sonos One Enabled?

Badge

Same problem here! I have tried  the suggested fixes and it still does not work! Sadly my kindle fire also cannot run s 2!

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

Hi,

I’ve the same problem : unable to re-link Sonos and Alexa. When I try to enable skill, always the same answer : “unable to link Sonos at this time, please try again later”. It makes me crazy :rage:

Other thread about the same problem : https://en.community.sonos.com/amazon-alexa-and-sonos-229102/sonos-alexa-integration-broken-since-s2-update-help-6843457?postid=16444557#post16444557

Please, Sonos Staff, look at this, it seems to be a real bug.

Thanks.

Badge

Okay, I rebooted the router, reset my Sonos to factory settings, reset the Sonos app, deleted everything from the Alexa app and readded it. 

I can’t control any of my smart home devices and I’m not able to use Alexa to play anything from Spotify. I’m only able to use the Sonos app to play music on my Sonos One. 

Okay, it’s never a good idea to reset your Sonos device but… Have you Enabled the Sonos skill in the Alexa App? If you open the Sonos App>Settings>Voice & Services>Amazon Alexa do you see your Sonos One Enabled?

I have. It shows as enabled and the device appears as a speaker in the Alexa app. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

All

Please open the Sonos App>Settings>Services & Voice>Amazon Alexa and ensure that all of your Sonos Alexa devices are set as Enabled.

EDIT:

I’ve posted in that thread but it appears to be an intermittent issue, it worked on the forth attempt - so just keep trying and it may work.  I wonder if this is a time out issue?

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Is the small white round light still shown on the top of the Sonos One (Just touch the Mic symbol to check - it will toggle on and off)

Here is some additional info about the issue and why I believe some of you are having success while others are not:

• If your Alexa-enabled Sonos device was already configured and you simply upgraded to S2 and did not have to reset or re-provision those devices (it simply did the upgrade), chances are S2+Alexa voice is working
  • If you had to reset or re-provision a voice-enabled Sonos speaker (eg One or Beam), the Alexa voice assist will not go back in place no matter what you try

In my case, I did the S2 upgrade on my Galaxy S9+ phone and pushed to my Sonos devices. My Sonos One fell out of the Sonos network after the upgrade. I reset and re-provisioned it successfully. However, Alexa voice would not link to it. Alexa DOES see all the devices via the Sonos One so I know they are talking to each other; it is just the voice assist. My Beam continued to work with Alexa Voice Assist since I didn’t reset it. Then, testing my theory, I did a reset and re-provision. It successfully detected but broke Alexa Voice Assistant.

I suspect those of you who successfully disabled/enabled the Sonos skill in Alexa did not have to reset and re-provision the Sonos speaker. Hence, Alexa Voice Assistant is still working. If you follow my steps above, I believe it will break.

Solved also with the new 12.01.1 update. I needed just to Restart the phone.

Note: Only worked when I first activated the Sonos skill (Was also not working before) in Alexa before doing the voice service activation in Sonos. 

Also Spotify is now working with Alexa over Sonos Beam.

Bug fixed :)

• Now Amazon just needs to allow English language when I have a German account, its bad I cannot change the language, I can be in Germany and want to speak in English

Hi

@BladeRunner73 This is possible now. Please open the Sonos App/Settings/Services & Voice and then under each device you can select the language.

Does not work here in Germany. I have the amazon.de account and also the itunes set to .de due to delivery address and prices.

I have in the Sonos app language set to English US for my Beam under voice services. Still Alexa is German language.

if you have a way to do it please let me know.

Badge

Can you power off and on your Sonos One and then ask 'Alexa, discover devices.'

“I couldn’t find any new smart home devices. Please enable the smart home skill in the Alexa app.”

The skill for my Honeywell thermostat is enabled in my app. If I ask my echo spot to change the temperature, it works. But not if I ask my Sonos. 😩

Userlevel 1

having the same problem here. Anyone with a solution? 

Yes, exactly the same issue. Been going crazy resetting everything, removed alexa, uninstalled etc. Nothing works.  I'm now guessing we'll have to wait for a fix. I'm gonna use Google for now but will switch back when I can.

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

@UKMedia : I’ve tried to enable skill many time… Always unable to add skill.

Badge

@agarciat it started working again for me yesterday:

1. Enable the Sonos skill and do the account linking via the alexa web app first; alexa.amazon.co.uk
  2. Add the alexa voice service in the S2 controller mobile app

The issues are still persistent here in the U.S. Sonos has been very quiet about the issue or a resolution. A few people here mentioned using the PC software for upgrades and getting the Alexa piece operational. To my knowledge there is no v2.0 version of the PC software available. I am pretty sure Sonos has stopped making the PC and Mac software at this point. Curious where others have found this software.

Badge

@d2iguy there are S2 versions of the controller for OSX I am certain (as I use a Mac) for windows, let me check…

Windows

Mac

Userlevel 1

@agarciat it started working again for me yesterday:

1. Enable the Sonos skill and do the account linking via the alexa web app first; alexa.amazon.co.uk
  2. Add the alexa voice service in the S2 controller mobile app

I am afraid that it does not work. If you have s1 ecosystems and an S2 at the same time under the same account, you are stuck to the S1. It does not matter how you do it  but you will not be able to change it and repoint it to the s2 ecosystem

Whew! Glad to know someone else is in the canoe with me. I am guessing it is an authentication bug between Sonos and Alexa. 

I just set up a pair of new Sonos Fives and built in Alexa is not working. I can only control the speakers via Alexa through a separate Amazon device (echo).

Badge

Ah, I see.

Can you not factory reset your S1 devices then add them to your S2 setup? Or do you have S1 devices that are incompatible with S2?

I am afraid that it does not work. If you have s1 ecosystems and an S2 at the same time under the same account, you are stuck to the S1. It does not matter how you do it  but you will not be able to change it and repoint it to the s2 ecosystem

Yep, same.thing here.

I have 2 Sonos ones and I can't add the Sonos skill in the Alexa app or the Alexa voice skill in the Sonos app.…

Don't they test these things first?! 

Userlevel 1

Yes, I have some devices that are not compatible so I have no option but to have the s1 and the s2.  Now something that worked is completely broken and does not talk to each other. Feels like been back to 1995 and  having a mac write  and word perfect document....

Badge

Can you power off and on your Sonos One and then ask 'Alexa, discover devices.'

“I couldn’t find any new smart home devices. Please enable the smart home skill in the Alexa app.”

The skill for my Honeywell thermostat is enabled in my app. If I ask my echo spot to change the temperature, it works. But not if I ask my Sonos. 😩

Can you submit a diagnostic and post the number in this thread?

770158180 Is the number. 

Userlevel 2
Badge +3

I live in Philippines , after Sonos S2 upgrade, Alexa/ Sonos doesn’t work anymore, is there a way to make it work again?

Add Voice Service is no longer available on my Sonos S2 App > System & Voice, cannot add any Voice Service at all

Badge

Very similar situation here. Short story is I can’t enable the sonos skill in the alexa app, or add alexa as a voice service from the sonos app.

I have 4 x Play:1 and 1 x One (1st gen). S2 upgrade was fine to begin with.

In one of the bedrooms we have an echo dot clock linked to the Play:1 in that room. Yesterday I noticed that Alexa was responding to commands to play music, but nothing was palying from the Play:1 as it usually would do. I checked the sonos app and it hadn’t recieved the request to play from Spotify, but if I tried to play the music from spotify or sonos app it worked fine.

I looked around online and saw that it could be due to linking authentication issues, so I did as instructed and unlinked the sonos and alexa etc.

Now I am in the same boat as most of you and seems like it is an S2 issue?