Answered

Alexa voice assist stops working S2

Sonos hive, seeing if anyone else is seeing this issue. I upgraded to S2 and did a full redetect of every device in my Sonos system. All are compatible with S2 and all upgraded successful. Alexa detected my SonosOne and picked up all my devices. So far so good. 

My SonosOne was not showing the mic active. I figured out this was due to the voice service not being set right. I went through pass after pass of trying to get it working only to be stopped by the dreaded error that sonos could not make the amazon account "There is a problem adding Alexa."

I have tried multiple speakers alexa enabled sonos speakers; same issue. I have also ripped out the sonos skill and put it back to no avail. It all worked under S1 software. And all the Alexa-Sonos groups and play services work. So this is limited to just voice services.

What is interesting is I CAN successfully add the Google Assistant service without issue. So I  thinking this is a compatibility issue with S2 and Alexa.

Anyone else seeing this issue? Amy suggestions are welcome and I am glad to provide further info

Thanks in advance for your help

icon

Best answer by d2iguy 24 June 2020, 13:25

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

68 replies

[SOLVED]

This morning I successfully pulled my Sonos ONE back into Alexa. It looks like the 12.0.1 release fixes the issue. But, there is a catch: the 12.0.1 update will not come install if you were an early adopter of S2 via SONOS. Here are the symptoms and the fix:

• Within the SONOS app, you go to System - About My System and you will see you are running Version 12.0
  • If you go to System - System Updates and check for updates, the SONOS app will indicate there is an update and take you to the app store. There you will see the version is 12.0.1.
  • The app store WILL NOT give you the option to install or upgrade as it “thinks” you already have the upgraded versions (12.01)...but you don’t.
  • Uninstall the app from your device and then go back to the app store and install the app store-version. Once complete, check the System-About My System and you will see it now says Version 12.0.1.
  • Now go and add the Alexa assistant back to your devices and you should not longer get the dreaded unable to connect to Alexa error.

Give this process a shot and see if you have the same success. Go luck!

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

Thank you for your feedback.I will try tonight when I will back from work. 

It's just worked for me too- I added the skill through the desktop alexa site and then all just went smoothly...

Same here as well.
Also tried enabling Alex directly over the Alexa Web interface ( https://alexa.amazon.replacewithyourcountry ) when it didn’t work on the phone (Android 10;Pixel 3a).

No success there as well.

Background:

Updated to S2 at the 10th, no issues whatsoever, around 10 days later Alexa only plays 1 song and stops. Tried removing and enabling Alex again and eventually tried removing an adding the skill.
And since then I cannot enable it again. Like in the screenshot above “There was a problem adding Alexa”.

And, of course, I cannot link Speakers with Alexa, very likely due to it too.

Google Assistant works fine depending how you define “works”. Compared to Alexa the music playback capabilities of GA are ..well.. utterly horrible.

“Alexa, play some rock music" → “Ok, Rock playlist is playing from Amazon music”. *Music plays*

“Ok Google, play some rock music" → “Ok, Rock Music is playing from YT Music. .. I cannot find the requested content” *GA enabled speaker is flying through the window*

Thats what I was doing. Over alexa.amazon.de, though, because I am from germany.

Tried it yet again over alexa.amazon.co.uk, got redirected to alexa.amazon.de when I added the skill and continued with the whole authorizing from there as usual, but strangely enough it worked this time. 

Cannot imagine it is because I went to co.uk first, I suspect the server is still a bit unstable. And I will for sure not disable the skill and try adding it again to test it ;)

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

Good news for you. Note I’m french and I use alexa.amazon.fr… It really looks like a big server issue. 

Agree with you : I’m not ready to desactivate this skill !!

Badge

Good news. Just got my system linked and working as it was before.

Ironically, I was on hold with Sonos support at the time and I tried it via the browser and it linked!

Badge

Update: I have played with every option. I have now added Alexa back into the voice section of amazon Alexa. I disabled the Sonos skill in the Alexa app and even deleted the speaker to connect again. Everything shows up as connected now. 

However, Alexa doesn’t function properly on my Sonos one. I’ll give my echo Commands and it carries it out. When I activate Alexa on my Sonos one, it doesn’t know date/time or even my address for location. 

Same here.  Today I'm going for a full restart. Everything factory reset,  power off, removed from accounts etc. Installed as a new system.  Will report back if that works

I’ve been having same issue since upgrading to S2. I initially disabled and re-enabled and couldn’t link. Tried again this time retyping Sonos email and password (not allowing iPhone to auto fill) this worked and now linked ok. Still can’t get Alexa to work tho. Says sorry “kitchen is offline” 

any clues?

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Update: I have played with every option. I have now added Alexa back into the voice section of amazon Alexa. I disabled the Sonos skill in the Alexa app and even deleted the speaker to connect again. Everything shows up as connected now. 

However, Alexa doesn’t function properly on my Sonos one. I’ll give my echo Commands and it carries it out. When I activate Alexa on my Sonos one, it doesn’t know date/time or even my address for location. 

Can you just check that the small light round light is displayed on the top of the Sonos One.  If not the Mic is been switched off accidentally, just tap the mic symbol to toggle back on.

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

Good news for you. Do you think you do specific thing that explain it works now ??

Badge

Good news for you. Do you think you do specific thing that explain it works now ??

I did everything exactly as I had done before, just this time it worked when I must have tried 50+ times before and got the above messages.

The support person on the phone did say they’d had a lot of calls about this.

I enabled and linked the skill via alexa.amazon.co.uk first, then I added the alexa voice service in the S2 app. After that, I tested that the One worked before setting a Play:1 as preferred speaker for my other Alexa enabled devices.

Solved also with the new 12.01.1 update. I needed just to Restart the phone.

Note: Only worked when I first activated the Sonos skill (Was also not working before) in Alexa before doing the voice service activation in Sonos. 

Also Spotify is now working with Alexa over Sonos Beam.

Bug fixed :)

• Now Amazon just needs to allow English language when I have a German account, its bad I cannot change the language, I can be in Germany and want to speak in English

Userlevel 1

You cant link two accounts to one alexa

Same issue with me. Nothing works now. Today morning I could enable Alexa but Spotify was not responding, only music from Amazon Music. Then after installing and reinstalling all apps finally Alexa is not not even possible to activate in the Sonos app. Try again later message. 
I hope the issue is solved soon. Also the problem in Alexa enabling Spotify is not solved. Seems there are major issues that started today. Yesterday all worked fine. 

Is Spotify working with Alexa app for anyone? 

Also Sonos skill does not install.

its still not working for me at all.  Glad to hear it is sorted for some though.  shows there is progress.  

Badge

The mic is on. Example: I have a smart thermostat that I frequently have Alexa change the temperature on. When I ask Alexa to do so, she says “sorry I can’t find a device called ‘AC’”. My echo and the Alexa app handle this task normally. It’s strange because the Sonos one used to be able to do all these things without any issues. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

The mic is on. Example: I have a smart thermostat that I frequently have Alexa change the temperature on. When I ask Alexa to do so, she says “sorry I can’t find a device called ‘AC’”. My echo and the Alexa app handle this task normally. It’s strange because the Sonos one used to be able to do all these things without any issues. 

Can you check for duplicate Devices/Groups within the Alexa App?  Also, have you booted your Router recently?

Badge

No duplicate devices or groups. I can reboot my router now. 

Unfortunately no it did not. Think I'll go back to S1 

Userlevel 4
Badge +2

Alexa also stopped working for me and now I can’t link the accounts between Sonos S2 and Alexa! Frustrating!!!

Can't go back, I think I've all I can just waiting for a fix now.

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Solved also with the new 12.01.1 update. I needed just to Restart the phone.

Note: Only worked when I first activated the Sonos skill (Was also not working before) in Alexa before doing the voice service activation in Sonos. 

Also Spotify is now working with Alexa over Sonos Beam.

Bug fixed :)

• Now Amazon just needs to allow English language when I have a German account, its bad I cannot change the language, I can be in Germany and want to speak in English

Hi

@BladeRunner73 This is possible now. Please open the Sonos App/Settings/Services & Voice and then under each device you can select the language.

Badge

Okay, I rebooted the router, reset my Sonos to factory settings, reset the Sonos app, deleted everything from the Alexa app and readded it. 

I can’t control any of my smart home devices and I’m not able to use Alexa to play anything from Spotify. I’m only able to use the Sonos app to play music on my Sonos One.