Answered

Alexa voice assist stops working S2

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

68 replies

Badge

Urgh.

If you use gmail, maybe you could have two accounts? Gmail doesn't consider the period in an email address, so first.last@gmail.com is the same as  firstlast@gmail.com - I’ve used it to have 2 accounts use the same email address before.

S1 on one sonos account, S2 on the other, both linked to the same Alexa account.

Apologies if you’re not using gmail!

Yes, I have some devices that are not compatible so I have no option but to have the s1 and the s2.  Now something that worked is completely broken and does not talk to each other. Feels like been back to 1995 and  having a mac write  and word perfect document....

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

Hi,

It seems to be a general issu (see: https://en.community.sonos.com/amazon-alexa-and-sonos-229102/unable-to-link-akexa-with-sonos-1-6843573)

I’m in the same cas as most people : if you unlink Alexa and Sonos, no way to relink.

Very frustrating.

I’ve open a cas on twitter support and support ask me some try : ungroup all speaker, wire speaker directly on router without result. 

I suspect software issu and I’m really sure there is a big problem between Sonos and Alexa Sonos skill.

I have had the same problems with S2. All was fine until I installed this new version. I tried re-enabling the Sonos skill in Alexa many times. Sometimes it successfully installed, other times it didn’t. But even when it was successful, Alexa still didn’t work on my Sonos One. Finally, I deleted the Alexa Voice Service from the Sonos app, and added it back in. It worked! Hoorah!

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Can you power off and on your Sonos One and then ask 'Alexa, discover devices.'

“I couldn’t find any new smart home devices. Please enable the smart home skill in the Alexa app.”

The skill for my Honeywell thermostat is enabled in my app. If I ask my echo spot to change the temperature, it works. But not if I ask my Sonos. 😩

Can you submit a diagnostic and post the number in this thread?

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

That’s strange.  I have a UK account but can select German within the Sonos App and Alexa will speak in German.

I’m not sure if that is a restriction with a German Account but it may be worth Disabling and then Enabling the Sonos Skill in the Alexa App.  Also what have you set the device location to in the Alexa App?

Userlevel 1
Badge +1

I saw in another thread that disabling the Sonos skill in the Alexa app and then reenabling fixes this.

After upgrading to s2, Alexa responded to me but did nothing.  So I disabled the Sonos skill in the Alexa app on my phone and then reenabled it, and now it works.

Unfortunately,  that has not worked for me. That was one of the first things I tried.

Badge

I’ve tried almost every option and still nothing!! So frustrating. All of a sudden one day (after updating the app to Sonos 2), Alexa just wouldn’t work on my Sonos One (ie no response to the wake word). I deactivated the Alexa skill from the Sonos app and also disabled the skill from the Alexa app. Every time I try to add the Alexa skill back into the Sonos app, it gives me an error message. I have already it set up from the Alexa app. 

This was the issue I had.  I've spent quite a bit of time on the phone and by email with support.  In the end I got it working but the Sonos app always reported there was a problem.  I removed all sonos from alexa, logged out of all amazon apps and tried to add again from Sonos.  As always it reported there was a problem. But I noticed that in the Alexa app 2 of my units were showing as online and 2 as offline.  I tried to play music through the online ones and it worked.  I went back to the sonos app and it was now showing these as with Alexa but I had to change the settings to turn on the chime.  For the other two I had to power cycle and add 1 at a time. In each case sonos reported a problem but alexa showed online and then could play music or voice command and they would appear in the sonos app shortly after.  It could take a couple of goes but eventually worked. I have reported all of this to support.  All units have been working  fine since. 

Not sure if this helps at all. But maybe worth a try.

I spent a long call with very helpful tech support and tried lots of different config changes but we did not fix it.  From sonos end this should be fine.  We left it with a few things for me to check to rule out specific problems my end but they did not help so it seems to me a bug that needs fixing but Sonos need to be able to reproduce it to that.

Badge

12.0.1 UPDATE

Updated my system to 12.0.1 this morning after seeing iOS updates for S2 and Alexa apps.

Upgrade was fine but I had to reboot my router for the broadcast to behave correctly on half the system.

However I did notice that my original issue returned where Alexa was reporting to play music on Sonos, but no request was being received by the Play:1 and no audio… I feared the problem was back, but I resolved the issue much easier this time by disabling then re-enabling the Sonos device from within the Alexa app.

Badge

I only have the one unit - a Sonos one. I was able to enable the skill in Alexa but it shows the device as offline in my Alexa app. However, I’m able to play music on it from the Sonos app. 

How do I proceed?

if it showed offline I needed to try again.  I could only get it to work when the Alexa app showed as online  even though the sonos app reported a problem adding Alexa.  

No luck here so far.

Badge

Is the small white round light still shown on the top of the Sonos One (Just touch the Mic symbol to check - it will toggle on and off)

Yes it is. The response is either “sorry I didn’t find a device named ___” or “sorry there was a problem.”

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

Hello, it works since yesterday evening for me too. Activation is ok by alexa.amazon web site then audio services in Sonos app. I suspect server issue...

Badge

Good news for you. Do you think you do specific thing that explain it works now ??

I did everything exactly as I had done before, just this time it worked when I must have tried 50+ times before and got the above messages.

The support person on the phone did say they’d had a lot of calls about this.

I enabled and linked the skill via alexa.amazon.co.uk first, then I added the alexa voice service in the S2 app. After that, I tested that the One worked before setting a Play:1 as preferred speaker for my other Alexa enabled devices.

@Psykhe try the above, which worked for me yesterday

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Can you power off and on your Sonos One and then ask 'Alexa, discover devices.'