Stereo Play 5s vs Play 1 pair with sub

• 29 December 2014
  • 59 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge
Moving to another apartment and selling my old stereo equipment I now have spare 2 x play 1 and 1 x play 5 on hands that were before used for different rooms. Due to convenience factor I would like to move one of these to my main listening area but i still question which way to go. Either i add another Play 5 or purchase a Sub to go with Play 1s. Having small kids my listening volume is normally quite low.

Reading this forum some suggest that the sound from play 5s would give me fuller sound but bass from the Sub would be much better, while others seem to think play 1s do sound better on their own when Sub comes into the picture. I understand the decision would always be subjective but would still like to hear some advice.

Thanks
Tomaz

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

59 replies

Badge
Yes i did not take cost into account. Everyone’s value difference can be different. yes everyone has a unique value for merchandise, I just feel for the little more you get with a play 5 doesn't offset the cost difference. Just my opinion.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Yes i did not take cost into account. Everyone’s value difference can be different.
Badge
I kinda agree with your list, but what I feel is that some of these speakes are so close, but the price isn't. For example. The play 5 compared to 2 play ones is very close and for people to make an arguement either way would be a valid arguement, however the price difference is quite a bit
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
I didn't mix playbar in with my order of least to worst so ... and this is Music wise when it comes to playbar

Single Play:1
Single Play:3
Double Play:1
Single Play:5
Playbar
Double Play:3
Double Play:5
Playbar, 2 Play:1
Double Play:1 with Sub
Playbar with Sub
Double Play:3 with Sub
Playbar, 2 Play:1 and Sub
Double Play:5 with Sub (yes for stereo separation I'm still giving this one above the playbar system as its the traditional sweet spot for music vs. all enveloping).
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Play:5s are terrific speakers.

Sub makes every single Sonos speaker much better.
Badge

Now, will a Playbar and a sub give equal or better music quality than a pair of Play 1 and a Sub?

The stereo separation should be better with the Play1s set apart, the Playbar with its bigger number of speakers in my opinion is at least able to hold up to two Play1s. The Playbar is btw definitely able to output quite some bass itself.
I have a play bar and 4 play ones. The play bar is beautiful and so is the 1's. I think I prefer the play bar over 2 play 1's. Now I need a sub to try. However, the play 5's are nice, but they are not a great deal better than 2 play ones.
Badge
I have two Play 1 as a stereo pair and two set up as Mono speakers. I just got a Play 5 home and I am really disapointed with the sound.
It's much worse sound overall than even one Play 1. It can't even play louder than a Play 1.
I am very sure a pair of Play1 and a sub will outclass two Play 5 easy.
I do have to agree 2 play ones with a nice sounding base I think would be my choice.
Userlevel 1
Badge +1
Meanwhile I tried out the two setups and I favor two Play:1s with Sub. My problem was the room, there was too much undefined bass, but with a TRUEPLAY-corrected sound, it's a deeper and better sound for me than the two PLAY:5s as stereo pair without SUB - although the last choice sounds also very nice!
Userlevel 1
Badge +1
Thank you for your help! I guess I will borrow a second PLAY:5 from a friend and test it!
There are pros/cons on both sides, and the new play 5 will make this a more difficult choice than before.

If I was starting with a clean slate and I had enough room to provide good placement for the new 5 units, I would pick a pair of those over a 1 pair + Sub. I also expect their feature of providing a choice of stereo imaging based on horizontal v vertical placement to be useful to better accommodate different room types. And if line in was a must, 5 is no brainer of course.
Userlevel 1
Badge +1
I would like to restart this discussion considering the new PLAY:5 (2nd generation).

I have one room with two PLAY:1 and a SUB and another room with a single PLAY:5. Believe me - I like it more listening to music with the single(!) PLAY:5 than with two PLAY:1s and the SUB.

The bass of the new PLAY:5 is almost deep than the bass of the SUB, but it's faster, clearer and more precise. So I really consider to replace my two PLAY:1s and the SUB with two PLAY:5 of the new generation. It's even cheaper. And I have two more inputs for external devices!
Userlevel 4
Badge +9
I have had a Play:1 pair + Sub since December in my main living room, using it for TV and music (TV input via a Connect that I had spare - there's a thread on this in the Speakers section if anyone wants to know more).

The Sub is currently located about 3 feet to the right of the P1 pair, and to my ears (or brain), the placement is noticeable, particularly at higher Sub volumes. Of course, this might just be a perceived effect because I know the Sub is there, but it certainly feels real. For reference, the P1's are approx 4 feet apart, and the main listening position is approx 7-8 feet away - not ideal I know, but a real world compromise)

Oddly, when I tried the Sub in a completely different part of the room, way over to the left, the placement wasn't so obvious. (Unfortunately that location causes the wooden floor to buzz and shelves to rattle, so I can't leave it there.) I plan to try it in the corner behind the TV, though it's a shame to hide it away, and the sound might be too intense with it tucked tight in a corner.
For me / my setup, placement of a Sonos Sub does not matter, as the sound does come from all four corners of my room (kind of).

I cannot speak for 2xPlay1 and Sub. It could be, that the bass is more important there with a 2 speaker configuration.

I think your four corner set up is why it matters less. Even for a 2 speaker set up, it may not matter as much as one moves away from the stereo listening sweet spot.
PS:If stereo imaging is desired, and there isn't a good place to position the Sub, my suggestion would be to start with just the play 1 pair. The sound quality from just that isn't very far behind a Connect Amp + budget speaker ( BX2 or Zensor) set up. The Sub can be added later on, and the best way is to buy it on returnable basis to be sure that it works fine in places where you are able to place it.
Userlevel 3
Badge +1
Well, I have my Sub positioned on the left side of the room (seen from my Playbar, which is in the middle) - kind of at the same axis as my left Play5 (grouped left surround) and I cannot really locate the Sub - no matter at what frequency the crossover really is. Hz numbers only help so far. Listening is a subjective experience. For me / my setup, placement of a Sonos Sub does not matter, as the sound does come from all four corners of my room (kind of).

I cannot speak for 2xPlay1 and Sub. It could be, that the bass is more important there with a 2 speaker configuration.
Userlevel 2
Badge
Good find - you could be right with that.

Additionally as claimed and measured here "The -3 dB bass response of the Play:1 is 88 Hz" :

http://stereos.about.com/od/Wireless/ss/Sonos-Play1-Measurements.htm

so crossover could be somwhere around 90hz which is good news
I found some measurements on below page where frequency response of Sub was measured as 34 to 96 Hz ±3 dB so crossover could be lower after all :

Good find - you could be right with that.
Userlevel 2
Badge
at 110 hz - close to where I suspect the play 1s are crossed over.

I found some measurements on below page where frequency response of Sub was measured as 34 to 96 Hz ±3 dB so crossover could be lower after all :

http://www.soundandvision.com/content/review-sonos-sub-page-2

But, yes, the reason of asking was the fact that i can not position Sub perfectlly between speakers.
For what would be a relatively small sweet spot for getting good stereo imaging from a play 1 pair, I think the Sub placement options narrow down. Exact centre between the two speakers isn't critical, but off to one side of both speakers doesn't sound right. This based on my Connect Amp set up placement experiments, crossed over at 110 hz - close to where I suspect the play 1s are crossed over.
Userlevel 3
Badge +1
Below 80hz is where this is generally found to be the case, which, I suspect is why the crossover question was asked. To what extent localisation capability correlates to the frequency rises beyond 80hz, I do not know.

Well, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sound_localization#Evaluation_for_low_frequencies "sounds" (no pun intended 😃 ) quite good for low frequencies and "mono".
As the human ear is not very good in locating low frequencies (other than high frequencies, in my opinion it doesn't matter, where the sub is located (as long as it is not completely obstructed) and certainly does not have to be between the higher frequency speakers.
Possibly true for steady state, but I found that putting the SUB behind the couch was not a good idea. It could be transients which gave the game away.
As the human ear is not very good in locating low frequencies
Below 80hz is where this is generally found to be the case, which, I suspect is why the crossover question was asked. To what extent localisation capability correlates to the frequency rises beyond 80hz, I do not know.
Userlevel 3
Badge +1
Ideally, place the Sub approximately between the two so that the mono effect of the Sub bass isn't an issue.

As the human ear is not very good in locating low frequencies (other than high frequencies, in my opinion it doesn't matter, where the sub is located (as long as it is not completely obstructed) and certainly does not have to be between the higher frequency speakers.
Any special instructions for placement other then obvious? Sonos manual has none.

Sadly this might not be possible. Is there any info from Sonos at what frequency crossover is made when pairing with Play 1? Is it well above 80HZ?

No, nothing more than how you would place any decent speaker. If on a shelf, close to the front edge. Tweeters at ear height in listening position.
No, there isn't any cross over info. But going by how they advise crossovers for the Connect Amp, my guess is 110-120 hz.
Userlevel 2
Badge
Once they integrate with the Sub, they will be as good once properly placed with the same care you would use to place any good stand mounted speaker.

Any special instructions for placement other then obvious? Sonos manual has none.

Ideally, place the Sub approximately between the two so that the mono effect of the Sub bass isn't an issue.

Sadly this might not be possible. Is there any info from Sonos at what frequency crossover is made when pairing with Play 1? Is it well above 80HZ?
I just hope Play1s can at least come close to mids of mentioned speakers.
Once they integrate with the Sub, they will be as good once properly placed with the same care you would use to place any good stand mounted speaker. Since they won't need to produce bass, they can be in free space to allow all the mids to be well delivered.