Stereo Play 5s vs Play 1 pair with sub

• 29 December 2014
  • 59 replies

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

59 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge +2
Ummm, no. I have many of each and that statement could not be further from the truth.
Well, after adjusting the sound controls, I'd say the Play 5 is not as good as it's price indicates, i.e. two times better than a Play 1. For example the H/K Go Play can play much louder and have way more bass.
But, it is better than a play 1 for sure.
Play 5 sound more balanced in comparison and deals with fully loaded tracks much better where Play 1 can sound flat sometimes.
My experience is that the 5 has a little more scale. And each responds differently to positioning. Get that right with the eq set to accommodate differences, then both have a sonic signature that is very alike.
Userlevel 5
Badge +10
I just got a Play 5 home and I am really disapointed with the sound.
It's much worse sound overall than even one Play 1. It can't even play louder than a Play 1.

Ummm, no. I have many of each and that statement could not be further from the truth.
Userlevel 2
Badge
I have two Play 1 as a stereo pair and two set up as Mono speakers. I just got a Play 5 home and I am really disapointed with the sound.
It's much worse sound overall than even one Play 1. It can't even play louder than a Play 1.
I am very sure a pair of Play1 and a sub will outclass two Play 5 easy.

This was actually my first impression when i purchased single Play 1 after already having Play 5. I think Play 5 is harder to position well and it can get boomy. Later head to head comparison (with defoult EQ and loudness off) showed that Play 5 sound more balanced in comparison and deals with fully loaded tracks much better where Play 1 can sound flat sometimes. It is important to match the volume of these two also as i strangely noticed that my Play 5, until it reaches 75%, plays lower at the same volume level than Play 1.
I just got a Play 5 home and I am really disapointed with the sound.

While I agree with your conclusion, it is the Sub that tilts the balance. The 5 isn't worse than the 1 - but it needs its bass to be dialled down to a point where it doesn't sound muddy - down to 50% or less. Have you tried doing that?
Userlevel 1
Badge +2
I have two Play 1 as a stereo pair and two set up as Mono speakers. I just got a Play 5 home and I am really disapointed with the sound.
Userlevel 3
Badge +1
For a start, you could also use what you have got and use the stereo Play1 on one side of the room and the single Play5 on the other side in the middle. A group of both would make a very nice "immersion" in music and the single Play5 might be enough for your bass need.

Have in mind, that the Sub would normally stand on the floor and has very fragile membranes in the inside (if you are aware about the Sub configuration you might know what I mean). You say you have small kids. These fragile membranes could easily be in the reach of their hands/tools and be pierced with a pencil / damaged in no time. With all other Play speakers you won't have that problem, you can even put them on the walls and have them safe from the hands of your kids.
Userlevel 5
Badge +10
Literally have both set ups in different rooms.
Would go with the 5s in your example if I were you
Either i add another Play 5 or purchase a Sub to go with Play 1s. Having small kids my listening volume is normally quite low.

Play 1 pair with Sub would be my choice - even more so for low level listening though that sounds counter intuitive.