Answered

Minimum Volume is too loud to enjoy background music.

Userlevel 3
The minimum volume on a Play 1 for instance (volume level 1) is too loud to let the music play as background.
It's "no music" or "too loud music" on volume level 1 Nothing in between. Ideally I could lower the music volume like an old amplifier. It's as simple as that. We use the Sonos system on the lowest volume side and the minimum volume is just way too high. I'm surprised that nobody else raises this.
icon

Best answer by Ryan S 9 October 2018, 22:26

Hi everyone, starting today with Sonos 9.2 there's the ability to use the mobile controller for Android or iOS to set a maximum volume for each of your Sonos players. The reason I bring it up in here, is that if you have the maximum volume set at 50%, the whole volume bar will still go from 0-100, but 100% will now reflect what your volume limit is set to. This has the added benefit of being able to get more granular control of players at low volume, as the volume steps will scale up or down with the max volume.

So, if you never set your players above a certain volume, this is a great chance to improve the control at lower volumes. Play around with it and see if this helps.
View original

116 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +25
Hi everyone, starting today with Sonos 9.2 there's the ability to use the mobile controller for Android or iOS to set a maximum volume for each of your Sonos players. The reason I bring it up in here, is that if you have the maximum volume set at 50%, the whole volume bar will still go from 0-100, but 100% will now reflect what your volume limit is set to. This has the added benefit of being able to get more granular control of players at low volume, as the volume steps will scale up or down with the max volume.

So, if you never set your players above a certain volume, this is a great chance to improve the control at lower volumes. Play around with it and see if this helps.
Same here, PLAY:1 in the bedroom: the minimum volume is too loud, trying to lower the volume the music is off then. No matter if controlling through iPad, iPhone or the volume button on the PLAY:1
Userlevel 1
Agree with all here. Min volume is just too loud. Sonos please fix this.
Userlevel 1
Badge
The max volume feature does nothing with regards to low volume. Personally, I don't understand why Sonos keeps adding these corner case features when there is a huge customer base asking for more fine grained control on lower volumes since 2014.

Unless the hardware isn't capable of delivering sound quality at lower than current minimal levels I could understand, but I assume this is just a volume scale between 0-100 that treats every step as equal. Treat the first 0-10 with more fine grained control and the other 90 with less accuracy. Quite simple solution and shouldn't take days to implement.
Userlevel 7
Badge +21
You aren't the first so Sonos are aware that a few customers note this.
Userlevel 7
Badge +21
I've just tested with my playbar and the iPad controller.

When moving the slider all the way to the left and then 1 tap at the end of the line I could barely hear the TV (It was dialogue).

The to screenshots show the slider in the 2 positions.

I suspect many of the people who stilll have this issue are NOT tapping the correct place on the controller.

I'd like to add my experience here. I suspect part of the reason people have different experiences is that there is a considerable range of different volumes on different music sources. This is also a bit of a challenge for somebody designing a volume control. I find that the Sonos controller volume controls (less so the hardware switches) are fine for well mastered recordings with wide dynamic range. The problem comes with recordings designed for "pop" radio. These are all too often compressed to hell during the mastering, allowing the mastering volume to be pushed to the loudest possible for every part of the track, sadly at the expense of musical dynamics. This is because unfortunately louder music tends to sound better than quieter, and on a radio station playing track after track the ones that have the highest volume tend to stand out. The Sonos volume controls just aren't designed to handle this type of track. You end up using a tiny fraction of the left hand end of the volume, which is at best a fiddle and at worst you simply don't get the volume you actually want. The answer is to make the volume control more logarithmic (increasingly sensitive at low volumes), but this depends on the hardware level of control. It may be that the hardware volume has fixed steps and so there's little that can be done in software.
Yes, please. The lowest volume is still too loud on my PLAY1.
Please reduce the minimum volume. I really enjoy listening music when going to sleep but with sonos it's just much too loud. I've had a squeezebox before which was not perfect but the minimum volume was great. Btw I use a Play 1 in my bedroom.
+1. Buyed Play1 today for my bedroom for a soft music when I go to bed. The minimum volume is much too loud. Would also recommend a way to be able to set a really minimal volume.
Userlevel 5
Badge +11
+1. Buyed Play1 today for my bedroom for a soft music when I go to bed. The minimum volume is much too loud. Would also recommend a way to be able to set a really minimal volume.

And to me the fade out option of the sleep is so quick! It seems like a not finished feature.
Same here! 2x play 3 in our bedroom. Minimum level is too high so my wife hates it!

@Sonos: anybody out there?
Userlevel 1
Hello Sonos! Any update here? Looks like we're more than a year into this thread without a response...
Userlevel 1
Badge
Problem still exists, 2 play one in bedroom, music too loud at minimum level. Same with playable/play3/sub in living room, not enough level of control. And is it me or has the volume of the minimum level go up recently? I start lounge music in the living through my home automation, always on the same 4% level, different online stations or from my NAS. I had to bring it back to 1% this week, otherwise I'll wakeup the whole house in the early morning.
Badge
One solution is to turn off loudness. Tested it and now the lowest increment of volume on all devices is a non-disruptive soothing background music. 🙂
Let me be the first, at least on this thread, to say what a great move this is.

Really useful.
Userlevel 1
Badge
Unfortunately this doesn’t solve the issue. We have now a better accuracy to control low volumes but the minimum volume remains the same... Still too loud in a fully quiet room. Next update I hope.
I will continue to use AirPlay when I need very low volume.

I’m afraid this doesn’t help. In my living room I have a Sonos playbar, sub and two play 5’s. I set the maximum volume to 20% and it still goes from zero to too loud. There is still no inbetween.
I have gone through the steps to set my volume on my play 1 to just 10%

it DOES NOT reduce the MIN VOLUME.

All this fix does is reduce the RANGE of possible volume, it DOES NOT make the min volume any quieter.

Shame
Any new information? I have Sonos Play 1 in a small bedroom and the volume set at level 1 (on the whole scale) and its too loud to fall a sleep.
Unfortunately this doesn’t solve the issue. We have now a better accuracy to control low volumes but the minimum volume remains the same... Still too loud in a fully quiet room. Next update I hope.
I will continue to use AirPlay when I need very low volume.

I have the same problem. Only when I use AirPlay I get the desired low volume from my set-up (2x One, Beam and Sub).

When I play exactly the same Spotify song through the Sonos app the minimal volume is MUCH LOUDER and too loud for background listening. The first tap on the volume slider in the Sonos app has no effect (still silent). And with a second tap on the volumeslider the sound is way too loud. Setting a maximal volume (i.e. 50%) does not do anything. This is really annoying and clearly software related. When I use AirPlay with my iPad Air 2 the volume control is much beter a can be set at a nice minimal volume. Moreover the first tap on the volume slider with AirPlay does actual something and produces a very minimal volume. This means it's not hardware related.

Sonos please fix this! This issue has been addressed over 2 years ago. I spend a lot of money on my set and this is not something you would expect from a 'premium' brand.
Userlevel 6
Badge +13
I know that - but I'm talking about the physical.buttons above. Unless I'm mistaken, there isn't a smaller increment than a single tap?
Badge
Dear all. Same feelings : Lowest level is too high. Has nothing to do with apple controls : went as low as possible, then pushed just once on play bar button which immediately went to level zero. As a proof this was really the mute : the led switched to green. Apart from that it is my feeling that the increments when you use iPhone or iPad buttons are to large and that the volume button on the screen is difficult to fine tune. Room for improvement.
Userlevel 6
Badge +13
Everyone reporting it here and in previous threads all have a defect?
I'd suggest more granular control is needed at low volume - inc. from the hardware volume buttons too.
Userlevel 6
Badge +13
Yes they are saying it's too loud with apps (inc. iPhone, tablets etc.).
This thread and others before it. You don't see them?
I'm on a phone so apologies for no quotes etc. but read earlier in the thread.