Answered

Minimum Volume is too loud to enjoy background music

Show first post

184 replies

@tesox 

I use the lightdims for the mic LED, as that allows the mic to be on with no light visible at night - Otherwise I can’t switch that feature off without losing voice control. I have three speakers in the bedroom, a Beam & surrounds (One’s) and even with 1% volume and set to ‘ambient’ I struggle to hear the playing music at that level, so I don’t think the volume needs to be any lower than it is. I do not consider myself to be ‘hard of hearing’ even in the slightest and the surrounds are placed close-by on bedside tables and within 3-4 feet away of my listening position, with the Beam set about 8 feet away. So I guess that Sonos need to cater for all users when setting the lowest volume available. Anyhow I’m fine with the lowest 1% volume (on the scale of 0-100%) as it currently stands and more often than not set it to higher than that setting. Had it been too noisy at 1% I would have toggled off the surrounds anyway, but that has never been necessary in my own use-case.

What solved the issue for me was setting the eq (Bass & Treble) to the minimum (-10) & disabling Loudness.

Userlevel 3

So my Sonos where flawless since the last 6 years. I have 9 Sonos speakers, mainly using Apple Music service and no voice service of any sort. Since some time I just found that the minimal playback volume (Setting it at 1 without any max volume limit) is pretty loud and just cannot use the system when kids a sleeping and using the S2 Controller.

I have found that using AirPlay to my Play:5 grouped with all other speakers is my only way to play at much lower volume. Official Apple music Airplaying to Play:5 at volume 10/100 is about the same than S2 app with Apple service at volume 1/100.

Please fix this issue, the speaker are definitely capable playing lower volume. Look like to me that Sonos is pushing out too much products recently and crippling the basic feature that made them standout. Keep Sonos good for music and TV...

Have you used the maximum volume, I note you mention it. I find it great at allowing more control over low volumes. Seems to me they have fixed the issue as Ryan above notes. Loud volume if or when you want it - great control over low volume at the flick of a virtual switch.

Userlevel 2
I don't have a solution, but I do think I have the cause. It's not Sonos, it's Spotify (and maybe other 3d party streaming services). When I play tracks stored on my home server, the min. volume is perfectly adjustable. The moment I switch to Spotify, the min. volume jumps a few steps to too loud.

No idea why this is, but this is what I've found. I've the tried the maximum volume setting. Even setting it to 5% has no effect. The first half of the slider gives only silence. Then it jumps from silence to way too loud...
I feel like I'm missing something here.

I do tend to listen to music loudly, so I went up to my bedroom to test quiet music on a play:1.

Using the slider I can go from total silence to so quiet it can't be heard in a quiet room unless near the speaker and on up incrementally.

What am I not understanding?
Userlevel 1
I don't have ipad or other tablet in use. Those may have larger volume control, I don't know.

When I use the app in my phone, the control tends to be too small. It's difficult to control the volume with my large fingers especially in the low end. It would be great to zoom in to the controls, giving more room for small adjustments. Or the app could be used horizontally as it would give more space for the volume control, meaning larger volume slider.

When using the PC app control is very small as well.
Userlevel 3
Badge

I solved the problem, and fair to say, it was an issue of “incompatible user” in combination with unclear UX/UI in the Sonos App. 

So what you need to check is the following, if you - just like me - are using a Playbar with 2x Play 1. In my case I apparently increased the volume of the surround speakers.

So how to solve: Go to your system settings, and select the group with the playbar. Then go to the “Surround Audio” settings and make sure you set both sliders; Tv Level, and Music Level to 0. 

I had them initially at arround +9 and what happens is that the base volume of the Sonos system is then increased with the number configured on the sliders resulting in a much louder volume. Overall, I think the sliders are not clear enough. But they simply set your surround speakers to a higher or lower volume level compared to the Playbar.

Right now the first step in the volume slider is just noticeable, almost whispering. Hope this helps other people. 

Using the slider I can go from total silence to so quiet it can't be heard in a quiet room unless near the speaker and on up incrementally.

What am I not understanding?

I don't understand either; and control, that I just tried on the Mac, works well too. One has to keep tapping with the cursor arrow on the left or the right of the button to have it move in incremental small steps that give fine enough control. Dropping volume this way on the Android with a finger tapping to the left of the button is a little difficult though, because of how close the mute button is to the slider button at low volumes.
PS: and what is Level 1 - no such thing marked or indicated anywhere, AFAIK.