Answered

Minimum Volume is too loud to enjoy background music

Show first post

184 replies

Userlevel 1
+1. Just adding my voice to the chorus that the lowest volume is too high - noticing it on my Playbase when I like to have a game on as soft as possible but just loud enough to hear a crowd cheer (for example, while I'm multi-tasking on my computer and typing this on the forum). Sonos, please add more granularity.
Userlevel 5
Badge +12
+1. Buyed Play1 today for my bedroom for a soft music when I go to bed. The minimum volume is much too loud. Would also recommend a way to be able to set a really minimal volume.

And to me the fade out option of the sleep is so quick! It seems like a not finished feature.
Userlevel 1

Honestly that's not the point nor a solution. You expect from a 200eur speaker that you can let it next to your bed and read in peace with some background music. Even if I set it further it will disturb my wife or kids. It is simply too loud at minimum volume. And it still amazes me that sonos is absolutely ignoring one of the longes and oldest issue reported on their forums. Now if you want we can also put a pillow on the speaker or put it in the drawer of my nighttable... But again that should not be the workaround... 

Same here! 2x play 3 in our bedroom. Minimum level is too high so my wife hates it!

@Sonos: anybody out there?
Userlevel 1
yet another customer that is asking for this, cannot be hard to implement, can it?

please sonos, fix this for us!
Userlevel 1
Badge +1
Problem still exists, 2 play one in bedroom, music too loud at minimum level. Same with playable/play3/sub in living room, not enough level of control. And is it me or has the volume of the minimum level go up recently? I start lounge music in the living through my home automation, always on the same 4% level, different online stations or from my NAS. I had to bring it back to 1% this week, otherwise I'll wakeup the whole house in the early morning.
Badge
One solution is to turn off loudness. Tested it and now the lowest increment of volume on all devices is a non-disruptive soothing background music. 🙂
Let me be the first, at least on this thread, to say what a great move this is.

Really useful.
I have gone through the steps to set my volume on my play 1 to just 10%

it DOES NOT reduce the MIN VOLUME.

All this fix does is reduce the RANGE of possible volume, it DOES NOT make the min volume any quieter.

Shame
Any new information? I have Sonos Play 1 in a small bedroom and the volume set at level 1 (on the whole scale) and its too loud to fall a sleep.
Userlevel 1
Badge +1
I agree. The first level is way too loud.

This post has NOT been answered. Please correct.
Userlevel 1
Same problem here. No matter what max volume I set up, there is no smooth transition from silence to the volume I choose: there is a leap from silence to a minimal volume that is too loud for easy background listening.
This is annoying Sonos!
I would like to enjoy my Play:1 at my desk but I have started using a plain old headset on which I can better control the volume.
If it's a hardware problem (which I doubt considering the quality of your products) please correct your software so it streams a sound signal of lower amplitude.

Any update on this?

This is so frustrating and I think we all should move back to good old analog receivers with cables 😄 

WAKE UP SONOS! Your UX is very poor on this 😕 

Userlevel 3

Have you used the maximum volume, I note you mention it. I find it great at allowing more control over low volumes. Seems to me they have fixed the issue as Ryan above notes. Loud volume if or when you want it - great control over low volume at the flick of a virtual switch.

Well with maximum volume set at 50% it does help with the slider that is more precise but if we set volume at one the sound is muted. If I set max volume at 25% I then have muted volume for step 1,2 and 3. And still at the first step the sound is heard it is still way too much lound.

However I found yesterday that it was the Apple Music service sources that is louder that others. If I use the YouTube music service for example I have much better lower volume at 1/100 compared with Apple Music.

Might be good for Sonos to add a “Per service” volume ratio or something like this to have consistency between different music source. So it might not be Sonos fault finally (Sorry about that Sonos !) but still I have no control to fix it other than streaming with Airplay out to grouped speaker.

It’s been FOUR years of topics like this and still no solution. This is terrible. 1% is simply to loud for background music.

@Sounding,
SVC is ‘Sonos Voice Control’ - it’s available to install alongside Alexa via the S2 Sonos App - goto ‘Settings/Services & Voice’ to add the assistant to your Sonos One and/or see this LINK.

See this link too for the available SVC syntax:

https://support.sonos.com/en-us/article/list-of-voice-requests-for-sonos-voice-control

Hello Sonos! Any update here? Looks like we're more than a year into this thread without a response...

Now 3 years without a solution?

@Sonos- please reply, detailing how to enable a sliding volume control ranging from 0 dB to a selected max. 

The currently lowest achievable volume is simply much too loud. (Even with just one “click”) 

The use case is: iPhone, SONOS OS “S2”,  Amazon Music streaming.

Userlevel 7
Badge +15
I know that - but I'm talking about the physical.buttons above. Unless I'm mistaken, there isn't a smaller increment than a single tap?
Userlevel 7
Badge +16
My surround setup could do with a 1/2 setting between 0 and 1, late at night it can be a bit too loud on first click from zero.

Ive got 2x Sonos 1, and having the same issue, the minimum volume is too loud!!!

Is that at 1%, or are you using an Assistant to set their minimum volume, which is in whole integer increments and that therefore may mean a setting of 10%?

I personally find a setting of 1% (via the Sonos App) for a Sonos One is fine and I actually choose to set the volume slightly higher than that in my bedroom at night. I have the pair on the bedside tables too (bonded to a Beam) and I would even say 1% is possibly too low for my own needs.

Userlevel 7
Badge +15
Yes they are saying it's too loud with apps (inc. iPhone, tablets etc.).
This thread and others before it. You don't see them?
I'm on a phone so apologies for no quotes etc. but read earlier in the thread.
Same here. I’ve been able to achieve low volume by adjusting vol level via their app. Can’t do it using physical buttons on the speaker itself unless I’m missing something.
Userlevel 3
Badge
If you have 10+ meters of distance maybe but in our case we have a chairs next to the Play 1s and then the sound is really way too loud on its absolute minimum. And yes, I know how a slider works.
Adding a comment here about this problem:
I use the Sonos App. I understand how the control works. I have my speakers across my bedroom (approx 15ft). I have a sound bar/bass/Sonos 5 in my living room, Sonos One's in two other rooms, and a Sonos 5 in my home office.
I have adjusted the "loudness" option (which changes the treble/bass equalization and adversely impacts sounds quality) and also reduced the the Treble/Bass equalization to their minimum levels. Degraded sound that is too loud is a worse experience and this is, at best,a "hack" for reducing sound levels only in certain audible frequency ranges determined by the EQ engineers.
I also have Amazon Music, Google Play Music and my own music library - and the issue is on all of them, but some songs/stations seem louder.
The lowest possible increase in sound volume is easily heard at night and is sometimes too loud for my enjoyment in all of my rooms.
Based on the comments on this channel it would be nice if Sonos would recognize that finer control options for night or "more sensitive" owners would be an excellent feature for their product.
To address the commenters posting here that ask about volume control understanding or cannot hear their speakers on the lowest setting - I would like to comment that Sonos still should hear this complaint and try to address it. High quality speakers should have options for finely controlled sound output at any level, whether that means providing better volume controls, instructions on how to test/adjust the minimum volume, an explanation that the technology doesn't support lower sound levels, or another option would be appreciated.