Answered

Minimum Volume is too loud to enjoy background music

Show first post

184 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge

Coming back one year later and still the same issue. Please Sonos do something. This is feasible for sure. I paired 2 Sonos Ones as surround of the Beam. I can’t set the surround volume to -15 in the setting parameters for the surrounds. Then the minimum volume of both Ones is what I would love to have on my other Ones themselves. The speaker can technically do this so please allow the software to do it. 
I was waiting Sonos S2 hopping this could be solved. But almost nothing new and no issue solved with this update. 

I feel like I'm missing something here.

I do tend to listen to music loudly, so I went up to my bedroom to test quiet music on a play:1.

Using the slider I can go from total silence to so quiet it can't be heard in a quiet room unless near the speaker and on up incrementally.

What am I not understanding?

Did you do this at 3am in the morning? If you did this during the day the there would be too much ambient noise.

Set your alarm, try again and report back.
Userlevel 3
Badge +7
To get to the lowest possible volume, I slide the slider all the way to the left (zero volume) and tap on the line once to the dot's right. Is this how everyone is doing it?
Userlevel 7
Badge +22

What music source are you using?

Can you send a diagnostic and post the number here with it set to the minimum non-silentvolume?

That's a good way to do it, but when I just did it on my Mac controller at my desk in a quiet room, with speakers flanking the computer and close to my ears, it took me a couple of taps - more like 4 - before I could hear music with some clarity. Hence I remain puzzled as to why this too loud complaint is made.

And the same results from my handheld.

For decades a logarithmic volume control was used so that low volume had more fine control than high volume. There is a reason for that…

Userlevel 3
Badge +7
That's a good way to do it, but when I just did it on my Mac controller at my desk in a quiet room, with speakers flanking the computer and close to my ears, it took me a couple of taps - more like 4 - before I could hear music with some clarity. Hence I remain puzzled as to why this too loud complaint is made.

And the same results from my handheld.

Yes, hence my question above - works for me as well.

I live in rural area where my ambient noise is 25 dB (measured)

Userlevel 7
Badge +15
In a very quiet room (let's say in bed at night), turning the volume all the way down on a Play 1 and then pushing the Volume up button once is too loud and the wife can hear it. Repeated with a Play 5 it is quieter.

Wikipedia:

The 'log pot', that is, a potentiometer has a resistance, taper, or, "curve" (or law) of a logarithmic (log) form, is used as the volume control in audio power amplifiers, where it is also called an "audio taper pot", because the amplitude response of the human ear is approximately logarithmic. It ensures that on a volume control marked 0 to 10, for example, a setting of 5 sounds subjectively half as loud as a setting of 10. 

Don't push it once it is all the way to the left, tap next to it, to the right of the button. I would very surprised if you need less than 3-4 taps, each tap does a very small advance of the button/sound levels.
Ahh, I see what you mean. Yes, the physical tap is too "coarse" as can be seen by the reflected move in the controller. Fair point, but some above have also complained about the controller via the app, which muddies the waters. Hopefully Sonos reading this picks up this important difference.
Userlevel 3
Badge +5
i agree the physical buttons have a lower gradient of volume control than the apps. Almost feels like sound is reducing in slow motion if you use the physical buttons as compared to the apps..
To be honest, what I ended up doing was moving the Play:1 from next to the bed to somewhere further away (across the room), which allowed me better control over how loud it appeared to be to me.

Of course, I sleep alone, so there's no one else I'm trying to please other than me. I recognize that my solution isn't a perfect fit for everyone. I have this issue in hotels, where sometimes it's hard to find an appropriate place to put the speaker.
I totally agree and can't believe thìs isn't fixed already! It should be an easy problem to solve!
Some of you are talking about tapping the volumecontrol. Well I've tried and still can't get lower volume.

I would like to propose a test, so that we all know we are talking about the same volume level. Here's how we do it.

Put alarmclock on volume-level 1 (just a minute ahead or so). Listen carefully how high the sound is.
Now, the big question is, can you manually adjust the volume to a lower level? I cannot! I can adjust it to the same level as the alarmclock set on volume-level 1, but i cannot get lower. '(And it is too loud... Please fix this Sonos.)
Tap to either side of the button in the controller to have it move in 1% changes. That gives fine control over the volume changes.

I’ve posted on this thread years ago, just posting again to say how completely ridiculous it is that Sonos has not fixed this issue. All the pages of recommendations on this thread do nothing. Reducing the max volume makes no difference, connecting to the speakers via airplay makes no difference, no matter what you do, the 1 increment volume is too loud for background music, especially in a bedroom. (And yes I know how to properly increase the volume from 0 to 1 by tapping the right side of the volume slider in the Sonos app 1 time).

Is that the first tap to the right of the dot in the controller? Every tap moves the dot by 1 step out of the 100 step range, so I am surprised to read that this is still too coarse.
Userlevel 7
Badge +16
Yep, first tap. For me it's just the first increment that would be handy to have in two steps.
Hmm....someone with player/base units can comment. I have only music playing units and it takes 3 taps to the right of the zeroed button in the controller - when the mute light is on as it is at zero - to even hear some sound from them with my ears near them.
Userlevel 7
Badge +16
Mines a Playbar 2 play 1's and Sub. Listening to music late night it could do with a 1/2 setting but not the end of the world.

I am perfectly capable of operating the volume as I assume many others are?.

I suspect many of the people who stilll have this issue are NOT tapping the correct place on the controller.

Stuart, I find that anywhere to the side of - as long as it is not on - the button on the controller has the same effect of a 1 step change out of 100 steps. Whether I tap at the end of the line or close to the button does not seem to matter.

Ive got 2x Sonos 1, and having the same issue, the minimum volume is too loud!!!

Badge
I use the sonos app on my phone, but find the lowest volume setting at night is to loud, I like to listen to rain sounds or meditation music at night in bed, but find it to loud for this, sonos need to bring in a fine volume control to take it to the lowest it can go
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
I use the sonos app on my phone, but find the lowest volume setting at night is to loud, I like to listen to rain sounds or meditation music at night in bed, but find it to loud for this, sonos need to bring in a fine volume control to take it to the lowest it can go

Have you tried disabling Loudness within the EQ settings?