Answered

Roam not turning on

I have had the Roam since release date, I’ve been using is about every other day for work. But as of this morning, it’s not turning on. Power button isn’t powering on the speaker. Plugging in to power is also not working. Yesterday I turned it completely off with about 70% battery life. Have had a few issues with connections and audio breaking out as well. Not too thrilled with the speaker right now.

icon

Best answer by Corry P 3 May 2021, 10:49

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

27 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @High-Fi J 

Welcome to the Sonos Community!

Not to worry - it sounds like we just need to give the Roam a reboot.

Please remove the Roam from any charger connection and hold the Power button for 12 seconds. Thanks.

Userlevel 1

I had similar problem with my Roam. I noted on another chat board that the Roam requires a USB port that can deliver an output of 5v - 2 Amp. I was using an old phone USB charger that was only delivering 800mA hence the Roam was slowly depleting it’s battery.

Changing to a more powerful USB charger seems to have fixed the problem.

I seem to have the same issue with my Roam not turning on. I have only had the product about a month now and even though it has been charging, it just won’t turn on. I’ve read about holding down the power button for 15 seconds but this does nothing. 

Any other tips would be appreciated but it may be a return for this product! Reading comments on other websites, and this one, the Roam doesn’t seem to be the high end product that I’m normally accustomed to with sonos, disappointed. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @Mark.J 

If your Roam won’t turn on after holding the power button for 12 secs, I recommend you double-check the rating of your charger (5 volt, 2 amps is required). Try another if you can.

If there’s still no signs of life, I recommend you get in touch with our technical support team.

Same problem here - just sits on blinking orange light - reset doesnt appear to do anything. Using chargers rated at 5volt - 3amp and 5.2voly - 2.4amp and changed usb-c cables.

If the reset is not doing anything,I would recommend that you submit a system diagnostic , and call Sonos Support to discuss it.

There may be information included in the diagnostic that will help Sonos pinpoint the issue and help you find a solution.

When you speak directly to the phone folks, they have tools at their disposal that will allow them to give you advice specific to your Sonos system and network.

Badge +1

Nothing but problems since I received my Roam. On/off function is awful. Battery drain  is common. Putting an off function on the app might help? But the button operation just feels ill-conceived. 

Apart from that - it would be great.

Hi

Is there any answer to this problem? I have the same issue.

No blinking, no lights.

When I plug in the Sonos charger to my Roam then it just stays solid orange/red. I’ve left it several days like this, and - no luck.

I’ve tried chargers with higher outputs, still no luck.

I’ve tried resetting, and holding power button 12-15 seconds, still no luck.

It’s been over two weeks, and I miss using my Roam. I have the wireless charger for it. And I usually leave my Roam on it. Until one day, it stopped working (no lights).

Need a fix to this issue

I would maybe contact/chat to the Sonos Support Staff via this link below and perhaps see what they recommend: https://support.sonos.com/s/contact

Userlevel 2
Badge +2

Hi

No blinking, no lights.

When I plug in the Sonos charger to my Roam then it just stays solid orange/red. I’ve left it several days like this, and - no luck.

It’s been over two weeks, and I miss using my Roam. I have the wireless charger for it. And I usually leave my Roam on it. Until one day, it stopped working (no lights).

Need a fix to this issue

I’ve had exactly the same - Sonos support (eventually) arranged a replacement under warranty as it’s dead...

I have had the Roam since release date, I’ve been using is about every other day for work. But as of this morning, it’s not turning on. Power button isn’t powering on the speaker. Plugging in to power is also not working. Yesterday I turned it completely off with about 70% battery life. Have had a few issues with connections and audio breaking out as well. Not too thrilled with the speaker right now.

I just had the same issue with my Roam. Pushing the power button for 12 seconds fixed the issue. Thank you!

Enjoying magnificent sounds again:metal:

Userlevel 5
Badge +15

Hi

No blinking, no lights.

Need a fix to this issue

Same for me. Just started happening. Not turning on and staying red with the charging. Won’t reboot. 

Same for me. Just started happening. Not turning on and staying red with the charging. Won’t reboot.

Have you tried an off charger power reset? Take the Roam off charge and hold power button for approx 20-25 seconds and return to a charger with a minimum of 5v/1.5A power output for half hour to an hour and then remove from charger and try the power reset procedure again and try to get the status light to show and it reappears in the Sonos App and then return to charger and leave it until it’s fully charged.

Userlevel 1

I’ve had both of my roam’s since release date. They had been fine (other than annoyingly ungrouping after playing for a while) until a week ago. All of a sudden one of them was showing in the app as not connected. I brought mine with the SONOS Qi Wireless chargers and they had been on them pretty continuously since buying them (other than a few sessions outside).

Having tried the 12 second reset, the 3 second press and any combination in between nothing was happening. No lights at all, not even the charging light. My second ROAM charges up to 100% just fine on either SONOS charger.

I resorted to calling technical support - well, ‘support’ is a misnomer. To say they have been unhelpful is an understatement. The first guy told me that the SONOS Qi charger doesn’t have enough power to charge the roam - clearly it does as it had been and still does on the other device.

I was advised to plug it into a charger using the USB-C lead - which I did on a brand new apple 20w charger (9v:3A / 5v:2A). The charging light came on - and stayed on. SONOS says that the light is supposed to turn off after around 10 seconds - this one hasn’t.

Contacting technical support again I was advised to press and hold the power button for 12 seconds - first with it plugged in, then without, then again with it plugged in. Nothing. Then I was asked to video myself doing this and send that to SONOS (presumably in case I am a cretin and don’t know how to use a power switch and charging cable). After numerous attempts to send the file to SONOS (their email system kept sending a response saying that they don’t accept emails anymore and that I needed to file a report on their web site) I succeeded in sending off the video.

Some time later I was asked to send photos of the charger that I had been using - so I sent them a photo of their charger and the apple one.

Next day I was asked to “please use another usb-c cable and charge the Roam for 30min-1h and try to power it on again.” - by this time it had been connected to a charger for over four days - still with its little orange light showing but not responding to any button presses and not showing up on their app.

Since responding to that effect, both to the technical support guy and their CEO, I have heard nothing further.

I have been a SONOS user since my first purchase of a couple of zone players (Was it the ZP90 and ZP120) and a controller back in 2005 or 2006 and have encouraged several friends to splash out on the products too - especially more recently once the ones and play bars etc were released. I always felt that the high price was justified even though, more and more, I seldom use the app and just Air Play music to the newer speakers, grouping in my pre-air play S2 units.

However, the debacle over the older kit (yes I still use some of the older stuff on the S1 app and all of the newer on the S2 app) and my experiences with this ROAM have put me right off - I certainly won’t be recommending them to anyone else particularly as there are other equally effective and cheaper devices that I can stream too straight from my iPhone.

As for the faulty ROAM? Since SONOS don’t seam keen to actually sort it out - it’ll end up in landfill and I’ll be onto my credit card company for a refund under ‘Section 75 of the Consumer Credit Act’ for the cost of the faulty product. Oh yes - and I won’t ever buy anything else from SONOS.

Userlevel 5
Badge +15

That’s surprising. As an update. Called Sonos tech support. They had me try a couple of things including charging with the supplied cord and Sonos box from the Qi charger. Didn’t work. Called back the next morning had to send a picture and boom, new one sent and old one returned. Less than a week. Couldn’t have been happier with the service. Maybe call them and they will do the same.

Userlevel 1

Update:

Hadn’t heard anything from them for over a week so tried calling again. Got through to a really helpful chap. He talked me through a factory reset - press and release the power button whilst pressing and holding the >|| play button - which didn’t make any difference but the good news is that he has arranged for the faulty unit to be collected and replaced. - That’s one result.

Unfortunately, over the weekend, the other Roam that was working fine has developed exactly the same fault. It worked fine on Friday but I tried to connect it to a room group yesterday, it played one note and seemed to stop playing (though the app thought it was playing). After a couple of minutes the app reported that it was offline. I have tried all of the various reboot and factory reset options previously advised to no avail. Am now back in the support loop of phoning, chasing and having to email massive video files in the hope that I get to the same helpful chap that arranged for the return/replacement of the original faulty model.

Having one faulty device could be bad luck, but two? Looking at social media there seem to be a whole host of folks having issues with ROAM. It’s such a pity, I used to love SONOS because it just worked. Now I just want to get out - it is really going to take a lot for me to feel comfortable enough to give them any more of my hard earned cash.

After total of 53 minutes over two calls to support I have my replacement Roam on the way. Thankfully no one asked for pictures. I’m pretty sure they’re expecting the old one back, which is fine, but I wasn’t clear on the process. The support person suggested the delivery person would wait for the old one. hah. I have it, they’re welcome to it.

I take it all back. I can either mail it back to them, or give them a credit card that they’ll charge if I don’t return the old one.

Both of which is fair, but I don’t think I trust the process well enough to give them my credit card, so ship it back it is. Oddly, I kept all the boxes it came in, so they can’t complain about how I pack it.

Similar scenario here - Out of 3 roams bought direct from Sonos when they first came out, 2 have now died (within months of very light use) and apart from permanent red light when connected to a wired supply (various, all with decent amperage) they are completely bricked and no end of charging, discharging, soft or hard reset brings them back to life.

I have been with Sonos from pretty much the start and have owned about 10-15 different Sonos speakers across the various generations and despite the fun and games with S1 / S2, the hardware has always been rock solid reliable until now.

Sonos UK support seems to be the same level of everywhere else - tried the chat window and it’s sat there connecting for over an hour each time before I get bored waiting. Honestly, at this point I do not want to sit on a phone line waiting for a support rep to put me through the standard runbook of questions when very obviously the Quality Control on these things is so poor that they should be proactively accepting returns / replacements for duff ones.

Userlevel 1
Badge

I feel everyone’s pain with Sonos and their support.  I posted earlier today with similar experience.  Terrible!

Same as above, no real resolution…I fear it’s going back after just 30 days. 

Once I got approved for the return I received my replacement quickly. They shipped the replacement as soon as they got notice that I shipped the return. 

I’ve had the same problem. It won’t charge at all and is clearly faulty. Sonos have gone out of their way to avoid refunding me 

Same as above, no real resolution…I fear it’s going back after just 30 days. 

Same with me but now I have to get Sonos customer services to actually refund. So far they have refused