Airplay 2 unable to connect to Sonos

• 7 September 2023
  • 50 replies

Userlevel 1

I have around 11 sonos speakers and 3 Apple HomePods. The HomePods work flawlessly for Airplay. But only certain speakers work on the Sonos side for Airplay and no matter what I do, (unplug all speakers and reboot router and modem and finally hard reset most speakers, nothing seems to work I consistently get “unable to connect to “speaker name””. However they all lseem to work on the Sonos V2 app. Has anyone found a fix to this issue?

50 replies

Have had this problem consistently as well. Resetting the speakers works for a few days then back to unable to connect. Has anyone found a long term solution to this? Getting extremely fed up. 

Or maybe Apple should update their software so it works with Sonos and others? It wasn’t a Sonos update that broke this, was it?

I have many airplay devices from different vendors. Only issues are with Sonos kit. They advertise as AirPlay compatible it’s up to Sonos not Apple to ensure this is the case. 

first for everyone saying this is a wifi issue or a network issue, i call BS. this a an iOS/sonos issue, i can use the sonos app to play to all my sonos speakers without issue, i can use airplay to my bose soundbar or apple tv 4k no issue, i have one sonos speaker that works on airplay the other 4 fail to connect, they also fail to add to home kit. 1 of the 4 that wont connect is hardwired. this all started for me with ios 17. apple changed something in the update that sonos hasnt adapted to.

You seem to be suggesting there is a difference in the software on one of your Sonos devices than all the others, or am I misunderstanding your post?

It’s hard to make out what you’re saying, honestly, it mostly seems to be one run on sentence. From what I can tell, you may benefit from a network refresh, by unplugging all your Sonos devices from power, then rebooting your router. Wait a couple of minutes, then plug back in the Sonos, and see if this behaviors you are describing continue. If so, I’d recommend that you submit a system diagnostic within 10 minutes of experiencing this problem, and call Sonos Support to discuss it. Those of us in this community forum don’t have access to see the data in that diagnostic.

There may be information included in the diagnostic that will help Sonos pinpoint the issue and help you find a solution.

When you speak directly to the phone folks, they have tools at their disposal that will allow them to give you advice specific to your network and Sonos system.

I have done a network refresh, I have factory reset the speakers ( which is a temp fix of about 2-3 days). I am not really sure why the one speaker works. I have placed all speakers into a separate vlan and still just the one speaker works via airplay. All work flawless in the Sonos app. AirPlay works fine to my Sony tv, Bose soundbar and Apple TV 4K. It is only the Sonos.

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

Sonos are pretty picky about networking, take them and your controllers off the VLAN and put them back on your normal LAN and see how they work. If you have issues then Sonos support should be able to look at a diagnostic and see what the issue is.

They were on my default network, I moved them to a vlan to try and fix the issue. And if Sonos is that picky about network why is it only airplay I have an issue with the Sonos app works perfectly fine on every speaker from every device

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

You could try sending Sonos a diagnostic with them on your VLAN and discussing it with them, not sure how that would go though. Putting them on your plain LAN is likely going to lead to a less confusing and hopefully productive support session.

Remember, all of us here without a Sonos Staff badge on our user ID have no ability to see inside your system or look at a submitted diagnostic.

You could try sending Sonos a diagnostic with them on your VLAN and discussing it with them, not sure how that would go though. Putting them on your plain LAN is likely going to lead to a less confusing and hopefully productive support session.

Remember, all of us here without a Sonos Staff badge on our user ID have no ability to see inside your system or look at a submitted diagnostic.

It is just super frustrating, I have already factory forest speakers and they worked fine with AirPlay for about 3 days than started getting unable to connect. I wouldn’t even worry about it but I have a Bose soundbar setup in the living room and AirPlay lets me sync music to all the Sonos and the Bose.

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

The factory resets are often a problem as they erase info Sonos could use to look at the problem and they very rarely solve problems even though they can often kick them down the road a few days.

Good luck.

Just wanted to add myself to the list. It started with my Gen2 play 5’s and now my amp (new gen) is also affected… This is killing half the functionality for me, and making me reticent updating all my play 1’s as this would have been the main reason for me to do so (I use Airplay everywhere else without issue)...

What did Sonos support say, when you submitted that diagnostic, and called them?

I will join this. My Ikea Symfonisk worked once using Airplay from AppleTV, The day after i failed and have never worked since. Reading this rather old thread it must be about time that Sonos does somthing about it. 

Badge

I, too, have this problem,   It’s ridiculous.   I have no idea who to point the finger at, both Sonos and Apple tend to release things without adequate QA.   I wonder how many people just don’t bother with dealing with problem and just stick with the Sonos app and never try to use Airplay.   All I know is that I can Airplay to pretty much everything except my Sonos speakers.

Neither Apple or Sonos seem to be copping to the problem, both act as if they haven’t heard anyone else ever have this problem.

I didn’t buy Sonos so that I would become a QA troubleshooting expert, I bought it to listen to things.  Users shouldn’t have to deal with all these recurring problems.

I am also experiencing the same issue. I have a sonos amp connected via ethernet and all other speakers (bot new and old) are connected to the amp via sonosnet. I can airplay just fine to all my airplay-enabled speakers, except for the ethernet-connected amp.

I used to work fine a couple of days ago, but when I decided to revert my Philips Hue-lights from Matter to the old “homekit-setup”, since I got other issues with that setup, my airplay stopped working and I can't even re-add my speakers to the apple home app anymore. 

When I try to airplay from my iOS-device it just say “unable to connect” but when I try to connect from my MacBook it indicates it´s something wrong with my Home-app settings that´s not allowing me to connect, witch is strange since the settings is set to “allow all within the network” with no password set and the speakers are not even in the app itself.

The Hue lights works fine now though...

i’m having the same problem. i only have 1 Sonos, and only my iphone has a problem connecting thru airplay. Using the Sonos app on my phone will play on the Sonos. My ipad can still connect to the Sonos using airplay. It’s only when i want to play audio from my iphone using airplay that doesn’t work. 

I’ve had success by rebooting the Apple device. Right now, my iPad works without issue, but the Apple TV disconnects often (I have a contractor that is frequently cutting power, which doesn’t help, either). 

This has something to do with a recent iOS update for the Apple Vision Pro goggles. Everything worked fine until they pushed that update, and now all of my iOS devices either wont connect, or connect and then drop after a brief period of time. There are reports of this issues from numerous people in the past week. 

That’s interesting. I’ve applied all of the updates to the iPhone, iPad, Mac’s, and Apple TV, but will admit I’m not a huge fan of the Vision Pro. While I needed to reboot many of these devices (and sometimes wait a bit), they’re all connecting to my Sonos AirPlay 2 speakers at this point. I’m not experiencing this dropping at all (other than when my contractor cuts the power!)

I’d still be tempted, in your case, to reboot the Apple devices, and at the same time, reboot the Sonos speaker. I certainly have noticed that software updates to either cause interruptions in the connection, so they need to be re-set up. 

Unfortunately, I suspect Sonos can only see successful attempts of connection to their devices, but I would hope that they might see a reason for a disconnect, at least more than just a cessation of signal from the Apple device, so you may want to submit a system diagnostic within 10 minutes of experiencing this problem, and call Sonos Support to discuss it.

I use Itunes on 2 PC’s for streaming different things. I could not connect via airplay to one PC but I could on the other. I read the Q&A’s about the ‘unable to connect’ issues. On the PC that wasn’t working I simply turned off the AVG firewall and it is immediately working !!! I now need to find a way to configure AVG to allow access to my Sonos Roam - All help gratefully received !

https://support.avg.com/answers?id=9060N000000gVwhQAE

https://support.avg.com/answers?id=9060N000000TnplQAC

https://support.avg.com/answers?id=906b0000000DjgIAAS

https://support.avg.com/answers?id=9060N000000EhXzQAK

https://support.avg.com/answers?id=9060N000000EkXqQAK

https://support.sonos.com/en-us/article/configure-your-firewall-to-work-with-sonos

https://support.sonos.com/en-us/article/configure-windows-10-network-and-security-settings

This has something to do with a recent iOS update for the Apple Vision Pro goggles. Everything worked fine until they pushed that update, and now all of my iOS devices either wont connect, or connect and then drop after a brief period of time. There are reports of this issues from numerous people in the past week. 

Not saying this can’t be the case but I’ve had the issue for a fairly long time - pre Visio  Pro release. Have other apple and  non-apple gear with zero issues playing AirPlay 2 content. 

Add me to this list going on at least a half year (def pre anything to do with Vision OS). Multiple other non-Apple vendors working with no issues. Many Sonos speakers reachable, and others not - have done power recycles on all components. 

One observation currently is that my Arc is the only one which has been unable to connect at all. The other components when alone and/or unpaired from an HT setup  have managed to keep or regain their AirPlay reachability (Sonos One SLs, Sonos Roams). 

I have wondered if it was room naming and some form of sync malaise but I’ve also tried renames - those that were connected stay connected and reachable but the Arc does not. 

I have tried connecting the Arc via Ethernet and then WiFi - both had no impact. 

I’ll keep tinkering as I get annoyed but I sincerely think this is a (likely complex) Sonos networking issue given that no other vendor I use has this issue and I view them generally dumb as bricks compared to Sonos. 

The cause of this problem, for me, was that my Sonos One was the master of the network and it had outdated code that it wasn’t telling me about. I now have everything working with AirPlay, even though the Sonos app no longer works and complains that my iPhone 7 is outdated. I can still use the Sonos app on my newer iPhone, but I use the iPhone 7S as my home jukebox.

Here’s my solution:

1. Turn off all of your Sonos equipment. 
  2. Power down your network and let it boot up clean with no Sonos devices. 
  3. Pick a Sonos device to add to your network, but not the Sonos One. I chose my Sonos Amp, because it is not using Wifi and is hard wired to my network.
  4. Do a Factory Reset on this device and add it to your Sonos network.
  5. When it has completed, confirm that AirPlay connects to the device.
  6. Do a factory reset on the Sonos 1 (hold the infinity button while connecting to power, then continue to hold the button down until the light flashes GREEN) and add it to your Sonos network. At this point, my Sonos One said it needed a software update. Why it never updated before is a mystery.
  7. Continue to add any other Sonos devices, I suggest doing a full Reset on each of them just to make sure they get updated. I also had a Roam that kept falling off the network and it updated during this and has finally quit disappearing!
  8. Confirm AirPlay connects to the new devices as they are added.

My system is working better than ever now. The Sonos support guy said that my Roam kept dropping because of ‘network interference,’ but it was actually because of outdated software! Apparently, the Sonos app isn’t showing real version info for the network, because the devices can report current versions even if they aren’t on the current version. They only update when you do a factory reset. But you don’t know they are outdated, so you never know you need an update.

THAT would be a good glitch to fix. 

I created an account just to say that I've had this problem for months and the steps that dh1966 describes seem to have solved it for me. Going well for the past 2 days.