Answered

System skips songs during playback

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

173 replies

Oh, one more thing....

Submitting a diagnostic doesn't do anything unless you post the number here for them to reference. I suspect those guys get thousands of diagnostics a day, and they only pull them up when they know they've got a customer asking about it. So either on the phone, or here in the boards, you post the number, and sooner or later, they'll get back to you. If I were to guess, you might get a response this afternoon, it being Monday here in California, where I bet their support staff is (although I could be wrong, and there's recently been an indication that they may have some in the UK as well, so completely different time zones).

As I said, best of luck.
MCMaxx,

While you're waiting for a Sonos Rep to respond, I've got a quick question.

At the time when you unplugged and then replugged in the speakers, did you also reboot your router? If you spend much time perusing these boards, you'll frequently see suggestions that have to do with resetting the connections from the speakers to the router. Songs cutting out or skipping is a frequent symptom of duplicate IP addresses in your network, and is frequently caused by replacing a router (at least it has in my experience!) In order to force all devices to get new IP addresses, you need to shut down everything in your environment that connects to your wireless system. Cash registers, speakers, laptops, anything and everything that connects. Then reboot the router. Once it comes up, start plugging back in all the devices that would connect to it, giving each a minute or two to make the full connection to the router, before moving on to the next device. This forces each device to grab a new IP address from the router, and since everything is shut down all at the same time, nothing is "stored" in memory to be conflicting the next time.

The other option, which I'm in the process of doing myself, is assigning unique IP addresses to each speaker in your router's table. But that may be more effort than you're willing to go through.

I hope this helps. I've often thought that a Sonos system would have been ideal for the many various restaurants that I've managed, 'lo these many years ago. I can still remember one restaurant where we had an 8-track of Billy Joel's The Stranger, which played about 5 or 6 times a night. I can still identify where the track clicks were.
Bump
Hello

We've been having similar problems at our restaurant to the point that we stopped using Sonos over the last few weeks.

Anytime we are streaming music off Sonos the song stops halfway, or skips songs completely.

We've done the following
- Submitted multiple diagnostic reports (no response)
- Unplugged replugged in the sonos (helped for about a day)
- Readded Spotify (same day we replugged in the sonos, so helped for about a day)
- Changed the channel (now instead of skipping at the beginning of the song, skips at the end of the song)

Here is our latest diagnostics number done today if we can get some help

Thanks

Userlevel 7
Badge +20
I had totally forgot about the TV-rum as I rarely use that. I have deleted the wifi credentials now, but it still skips songs and goes to silence (even though it looks like it is still playing in the Sonos app on my idevices). I have send a new diagnostic 6556066
This indicated that there is something disrupting the signal. Can you please try different Sonosnet channels, within the advanced settings?

Thank you! Channel 11 works like a charm. I can really enjoy the system now
Glad to hear that! Please let us know if you need anything else.
[quote=Edward R]Still having a problem with skipping after switching to Channel 1. New dx-6540513
You are still losing connection, I am afraid. You may wish to try toggling between different channels, or perhaps using a WiFi scanner to discern which channel may best suit you.

Thank you! Channel 11 works like a charm. I can really enjoy the system now
Badge
Johnny, you have a wired component ("TV-rum"). This makes Sonos self-sufficient. In saying that, the devices communicate amongst each other and not back to the main router. It is therefore unnecessary to have your wireless credentials present on the players, keeping them there can cause interruptions. Please follow the instructions as given.

I had totally forgot about the TV-rum as I rarely use that. I have deleted the wifi credentials now, but it still skips songs and goes to silence (even though it looks like it is still playing in the Sonos app on my idevices). I have send a new diagnostic 6556066
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
Still having a problem with skipping after switching to Channel 1. New dx-6540513
You are still losing connection, I am afraid. You may wish to try toggling between different channels, or perhaps using a WiFi scanner to discern which channel may best suit you.

@Edward R I don't have a Sonos Boost, what do you mean? Why do I need to remove my wireless credentials? Is it possible to run my Sonos of a wired cable instead_ I have tried to connect a ethernet cable directly to my Sonos Amp, but that doesn't work.
Johnny, you have a wired component ("TV-rum"). This makes Sonos self-sufficient. In saying that, the devices communicate amongst each other and not back to the main router. It is therefore unnecessary to have your wireless credentials present on the players, keeping them there can cause interruptions. Please follow the instructions as given.
Badge
@Edward R I don't have a Sonos Boost, what do you mean? Why do I need to remove my wireless credentials? Is it possible to run my Sonos of a wired cable instead_ I have tried to connect a ethernet cable directly to my Sonos Amp, but that doesn't work.
Still having a problem with skipping after switching to Channel 1. New dx-6540513
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
Confirmation number 6518724
followed instructions and reseted wireless connection and it still skips song, just submitted a new diagnostic no. 6529933

You both still have the wireless credentials present in your devices. Did it tell you it was successful in having removed these, or did you see an error? Here are the instructions again, just to be sure:

Sonos Controller App for iOS or Android: From the Sonos music menu, tap Settings > Advanced Settings > Wireless Setup. On the Wireless Setup screen, click the button that says "Reset". Then click "Done" on the next screen.
Sonos Controller App for Mac: Click Sonos > Preferences > Advanced > Wireless Setup. On the Wireless Setup screen, click the button that says "Reset". Then click "Done" on the next screen.
Sonos Controller App for PC: Click Manage > Settings > Advanced > Wireless Setup. On the Wireless Setup screen, click the button that says "Reset". Then click "Done" on the next screen.
Hi, my reference number is 6517333, please help. Thank you.
For you, I think we need to remove your router's wireless credentials from SONOS. See Step 4 in this article. [/quote]

followed instructions and reseted wireless connection and it still skips song, just submitted a new diagnostic no. 6529933
Badge
Confirmation number 6518724
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
Similar problem, got the system about 2 weeks ago. Work amazingly for a week and now it's skipping songs, ending the playlist early, or saying it has a problem connecting with Spotify, Diagnositc number 6509014
Can you please try changing your router's channel to 1 and seeing if this fixes the issue? You are consistently losing connection with Spotify.

For you, I think we need to remove your router's wireless credentials from SONOS. See Step 4 in this article.
Any chance you could help me with the skipping problem?
Similar problem, got the system about 2 weeks ago. Work amazingly for a week and now it's skipping songs, ending the playlist early, or saying it has a problem connecting with Spotify, Diagnositc number 6509014
Userlevel 6
Badge +3
I'm getting so tired of sonos and this problem. The system is constantly skipping beats and stops playing Spotify songs all the time. Sometimes it just goes to total silence but it still seems to be playing the song. I have checked if there any interference on channel 11 using wifi analyzer on android and it is completely empty on that channel, so it can't be the cause of this. Sonos fix this, it's clearly a big problem and have been so for a very very long time now.

Hi Johnny, we hear you and would like to help. Can you send us a diagnostic of your system? Please reply with the confirmation number. This will allow us to have an idea of the local network health. Here's how: https://sonos.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/142.
Badge
I'm getting so tired of sonos and this problem. The system is constantly skipping beats and stops playing Spotify songs all the time. Sometimes it just goes to total silence but it still seems to be playing the song. I have checked if there any interference on channel 11 using wifi analyzer on android and it is completely empty on that channel, so it can't be the cause of this. Sonos fix this, it's clearly a big problem and have been so for a very very long time now.
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
I'm having the same problem, half the song will play every few songs then skips to the next song, here is my diagnostic confirmation number 6481073

Thank you!

Hi Trixtan,

There's quite a bit of wireless interference showing in your diagnostic report. Please try changing the wireless channel your Sonos system is using and see if that helps.
I'm having the same problem, half the song will play every few songs then skips to the next song, here is my diagnostic confirmation number 6481073

Thank you!
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
I have the same problem. When listening to a playlist several songs end prematurely and the next song in the list kicks in. Diagnostic 6467397
Thanks

HI pmus2016,

There's a bit of wireless interference showing up so it might help to change the wireless channel your system is using.

There are also some DNS lookup errors which can usually by fixed by rebooting your router and each Sonos unit as well.
I have the same problem. When listening to a playlist several songs end prematurely and the next song in the list kicks in. Diagnostic 6467397
Thanks
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
Same problem here. Somehow playing from Groove is more sensitive than Spotify, for Groove skips every song midways and Spotify only once in a while.
My diagnostics number is 6238851.

I tried another less occupied WiFi channel (moving from 6 to 1), without any noticable changes.

Hi Ftamminga,

There's some wireless interference showing up likely from a wireless router. It may help to look at your home router's settings and make sure it is not set to automatically switch its channel. Instead of using an automatic channel, set your router to channels 1, 6, or 11. Once you've done that set your Sonos system to one of the other 2 channels. This should reduce interference on your system and may help with the issue. Please let me know if you have any continuing troubles.
I had the same problem and it bugged me for days. I closed the app, switched off our Router and speakers, waited 10 seconds or so, then switched it all back on. Problem solved. I had tried switching it off individually prior to this and it still skipped but the above fixed it. Hope that helps 🙂