Switch off WiFi and Bluetooth PERMANENTLY from Sonos One

• 27 January 2020
  • 92 replies

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

92 replies

And not knowing for sure makes it more like comparing apples with chalk. 

I don’t know.  I’ve taken a bite out of some pretty bad apples before.

Hi Bruce, in our house all build in power cables are shielded against EMF, additionally, in the central power box circuit brakers have been installed, which cut the current when devices like lights are turned off. The outer walls contain a layer, which shields against EMF from cell phone masts. Every room has 6 ethernet ports. It was an option, we could select when our house was planned.

Despite all of that and working in tech, I have no problem using wireless devices when needed. A tablet for example would lose all its advantages when being hooked up to an ethernet cable. What I don’t like is avoidable EMF emitting. Speakers with an ethernet port certainly fall into this category.

Why do you call the Sonos speakers Wifi speakers? I can turn off Wifi in the app settings. So, they become non-Wifi-speakers, or not? Is there something I have not yet comprehended? Do the (stereo) speakers still commute via their own Wifi net?

Since you wrote that BLE is only turned on during setup, I powered up the “Ones” to conform that. My laptop found the 2 devices, they each disappeared when pulling the power cord from the speakers. If there was no Bluetooth (regardless of BLE or not), my Laptop would not find them.

Badge +1

If I am to disable the buttons etc, I would switch to the cheaper version. I have a return window and being conned by the company and then proving them wrong, and then finding this thread, is reason good enough to return it. Or an older speaker where bluetooth is not a possibility, if I decide to trust Sonos partially again.

Which one “cheaper/older” you mean? Are you sure they do not use BLE? Please notice, that you can never be sure - a word “bluetooth” is nowhere in manual, nowhere in specifications of One SL. And? And suddenly you find out that there is BLE. Not fair on Sonos. More of it - I also had a chat with their support (see my post above) and they said that “One SL, (...) utilize Bluetooth low energy (BLE) during setup. After the speaker are set up, the BLE is stopped” and? And as you can read here several people measured that it is not stopped. Not fair again. 

When you use the speaker on your desk, working remotely, emission for hours every day, close to your head - is not without significance.

When you plan to install an multiroom audio system in a little medical clinic where there are medical equipment with prohibition of using BT nearby - is not without significance.

So Sonos, please make your manuals more transparent, please let people switch on only that audio transmission, they really need.

Userlevel 1
Badge

I just installed 16 Amp devices, and with the latest f/w, bluetooth is definitely still turned on after installation. This is not a good thing, since bluetooth uses the same 2.4GHz frequency as 802.11, and yet does not follow any of the traffic control of regular wifi. It is like a very rude neighbor, and definitely should be disabled after setup is complete.

One wonders if this contributes to the wifi issues that the majority of my Amps experienced when relying on wifi. They are all in a rack, with an AP a couple feet away, and yet continuously dropped off the network. Fortunately I was planning on connecting them to my switch anyway (yes, in daisy chained groups of 4, with line-in devices on each Amp closest to the switch).

Userlevel 1
Badge

It is possible that they are using some low-end bluetooth chipset that does not allow itself to be disabled.

Hi All

I have a very quick and simple question:

• Can I SWITCH OFF the Wifi and Bluetooth PERMANENTLY from my Sonos One?

I am keen on using Sonos One connected to my Router via a Ethernet cable and also because I want to reduce the EMF Radiation in my Flat.

Thanks in advance

N

WiFi, yes.  Bluetooth, no.  

Badge +1

Thank you vey much for your clever advice! 

Greetings! 

2 meters, close by, 1500 +

going outside in the city is a problem.

bt is a different signal the WiFi and 4g.

it hops 1600 times per second, and that’s what se is feeling. Nasty signal.

Average sunlight is 1000 W/m2, an intensity 40 Million times your Bluetooth.  Now that’s a “Nasty Signal”.  

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

Though enlightening for most, I do not think you’ll convince the people concerned about this…….

Though enlightening for most, I do not think you’ll convince the people concerned about this…….

True.  But that's not why I reply.

Sonos already accommodated this by offering wired Ethernet connection and disabling the wifi. Yet the newer generation still has Bluetooth capabilities and can’t be disabled. 

Purchase a frequency metre and see that these speakers put out the same amount of EMFs as your router… that’s frightening. 

You didn't answer the question. 

Also FYI, for years Sonos didn’t allow you to turn off wifi, its a rather recent addition.  And I don't own a frequency meter, because I don't have an irrational fear of non-ionizing radio waves.

That is most certainly not a peer reviewed article from a respected medical/scientific journal.   Show me a peer reviewed article from a respected medical/scientific journal and I’ll be the first one to say I was wrong. 

2 meters, close by, 1500 +

going outside in the city is a problem.

bt is a different signal the WiFi and 4g.

it hops 1600 times per second, and that’s what se is feeling. Nasty signal.

Average sunlight is 1000 W/m2, an intensity 40 Million times your Bluetooth.  Now that’s a “Nasty Signal”.  

At the same frequency?

sunlight carry’s no information like Bt.

Unfortunately I know some people who can’t stand the sunlight, the wil burn alive.

the live in the night. And when the must go out at daylight then dress themselves like it’s winter.

i know this radiation subject is difficult to understand, but it’s a problem that is growing, perhaps you speak with a person with this problem, listen and try to understand.

myself, I’m helping a lot off people who are facing this problem.

with my tools and experience I’m helping them to make there live more easy.

Has Sonos provided an update to disable the bluetooth module?   There is no need for it to be always on, especially considering you can’t even use the feature anyway.  Thinking of buying Sonos One but waiting for this update before doing so.  Thank you.

Badge +1

Let me share the knowledge I collected after some research:

- as Sonos support answered to me, One SL, One (Gen 2), Five, Sub (Gen 3) products utilize Bluetooth low energy (BLE) during setup. After the speaker are set up, the BLE is stopped, you can connect the Sonos devices via Ethernet cables and then disable the WIFI from the Sonos app for the Sonos products and they will work only on the Ethernet connection. I was looking at One SL - it really has a special button to press only during the initial setup
- new Sonos models (as production of One SL has just stopped) for example Era 100/Era 300 have no BLE, we can use an external USB C Ethernet adapter (additional cost) to work wired. After the setup, we can disable the WIFI from the devices and they will only work on the Ethernet connection. The Bluetooth is disabled by default, to start the Bluetooth setup on the Era 100/300 we will need to press and hold the Bluetooth button on the back of your Era until we hear a chime. The front status LED will start flashing blue, and then the speaker will start to search for nearby Bluetooth speakers.
- there is another company - Bluesound, for example, their speakers (Pulse Flex 2i), are nice, with the possibility to add a battery “back bag” - making it movable. We can switch Bluetooth/WiFi off in options.
- Denon speakers - no way to get human support, they send me links to FAQ or AI-prepared answers. No Bluetooth off option in the app, they use a “sleeping” system, but how it works is described very lapidary (probably we always have to wait 20 min for “sleep” Bluetooth/WiFi)
So, the Bluesound options seem to be ideal, but the speakers are expensive. Sonos Era 100 plus Ethernet dongle - also expensive. Sonos One SL - model, from 2018, not produced starting this year and how to check if BLE is off indeed? (any way - very attractive economically) 

I have also found a Erickhill ER02 electro-emission meter - I would like to make sure, that all the above is true in real life, but I do not know if this meter will be suitable to measure that. Maybe someone knows?

To this point, no, they have not.

At the same frequency?

The sun emits all frequencies that WiFi/Bluetooth/4G/5G does, and then some.  It even emits x-rays and other forms of ionizing radiation, which are actually proven to be harmful, given a certain dose. Still, people go outside all the time. 

sunlight carry’s no information like Bt.

So what? It’s still millions of times stronger than Bluetooth.  

Unfortunately I know some people who can’t stand the sunlight, the wil burn alive.

the live in the night. And when the must go out at daylight then dress themselves like it’s winter.

Those people have a proven, recognized, and diagnosed condition - xeroderma pigmentosum.  It is also extremely rare (1 in 1 million), so you knowing one person, never mind “some people” with that condition belies the odds.  

i know this radiation subject is difficult to understand, but it’s a problem that is growing, perhaps you speak with a person with this problem, listen and try to understand.

myself, I’m helping a lot off people who are facing this problem.

with my tools and experience I’m helping them to make there live more easy.

“Problem”?  There isn’t one scientific study where this “problem” was proven to exist.  When blinded to the source, people are not able able to identify when they were being “irradiated” vs when the “radiation” was off.  In the majority of cases studied using peer-reviewed science, the results lean heavily to the “problem” being wholly psychosomatic.  I feel for these sufferers, I really do.  However the help they need has nothing to do with eliminating EMF, and you offering affirmation or encouragement that it does is of no help at all.