Switch off WiFi and Bluetooth PERMANENTLY from Sonos One

• 27 January 2020
  • 92 replies

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

92 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

I’m glad you approve.

Just keep it coming, @George_George!

I think you have enough content in the Prof Jim Al-Khalili video to get on with.
I like his statement “you can’t argue with Einstein and E = mc2”
It sorts the wheat from the chaff in the tin foil hatters who deny any issues with EHS health issues.
Enjoy

Badge +1

I think that a large segment of BT users assume that BT simply replaces the wire. In that context BT must be constantly available.

Maybe, but it doesn't mean it could not be switched off, see my smartwatch example above.

Technology always adapts to changes with some delay. Antivirus programs appeared some time after viruses appeared. Similarly, WiFi high encryption and the ability to disable the publication of your network WiFi name. I don't rule out that it was postulated on the forums ;-)
What will come after BLE? I can imagine - this is an extreme case - potential thieves walking down the street, scanning for BLE signals, publishing how expensive equipment is in which house :-( The ability to choose - whether I turn BLE on or off makes sense :-)

Good grief.  🙄

I was too late to get One gen 1. I’m either stuck with gen 2, or need to go back to the drawing board. Does anyone know if Ray is the same as One? Or can BT be turned off?

BTW, I’m going to replace the battery in my old Bose buds to avoid BT headsets. It’s not user replaceable, but still possible to do.

Badge +1

Did that device use Bluetooth or Bluetooth Low Energy?

I have several Bluetooth LE devices that do not have that warning.

Who knows :-) 

I've noticed that manufacturers don't like to brag about the transmitters they put in their devices. Here is the source of the instructions for the equipment I wrote about (not cheap one):
https://assets.denon.com/documentmaster/master/ceol_n12_owners-manual-eu-en.pdf
Interestingly, the fine print in this manual states that you must turn on Bluetooth on your phone if you use the phone app to control the device (HEOS app). It's unclear whether it's only during installation or all the time, but from the description it looks like it's all the time...
There are probably some meters to measure whether the device is transmitting something and I would gladly buy it, but they are probably expensive toys.

With respect to emissions from SONOS units when WiFi is turned OFF, we don’t know exactly what this means. It might mean that power is removed from the WiFi radios or it might mean that logically WiFi data is being ignored and the transmitter simply sits at a fixed frequency or turns into some sort of beacon. 

When RF power meter readings are quoted, I’m not sure exactly what they are measuring. If the meter is simply measuring energy in the 2.4 and 5GHz bands, this energy might not be associated with WiFi and Bluetooth transmissions, the energy could simply be leakage from the microprocessors and such on board. I’d like to see a measurement before and after WiFi is turned OFF.

My biggest question here is why would someone worried about Bluetooth and WiFi buy a system that uses them?

From experience I have a cell phone and laptop which has a capability of wifi and bluetooth. Both these devices can be turned on or off (activated or deactivated). The same goes for routers with respect for wifi although on Virgin’s router it isn’t an easy process for non tech people to use this feature. 
Considering the Sonos unit gives excellent sound quality it would be reasonable to expect that using the auxiliary input, there would be an option to disable wifi and bluetooth. 
In the absence of a built in method, it’s a reasonable request to see if the unit can be hacked to remove those functions, with also meter testing to show it has been achieved. 

At the same frequency?

The sun emits all frequencies that WiFi/Bluetooth/4G/5G does, and then some.  It even emits x-rays and other forms of ionizing radiation, which are actually proven to be harmful, given a certain dose. Still, people go outside all the time. 

sunlight carry’s no information like Bt.

So what? It’s still millions of times stronger than Bluetooth.  

Unfortunately I know some people who can’t stand the sunlight, the wil burn alive.

the live in the night. And when the must go out at daylight then dress themselves like it’s winter.

Those people have a proven, recognized, and diagnosed condition - xeroderma pigmentosum.  It is also extremely rare (1 in 1 million), so you knowing one person, never mind “some people” with that condition belies the odds.  

i know this radiation subject is difficult to understand, but it’s a problem that is growing, perhaps you speak with a person with this problem, listen and try to understand.

myself, I’m helping a lot off people who are facing this problem.

with my tools and experience I’m helping them to make there live more easy.

“Problem”?  There isn’t one scientific study where this “problem” was proven to exist.  When blinded to the source, people are not able able to identify when they were being “irradiated” vs when the “radiation” was off.  In the majority of cases studied using peer-reviewed science, the results lean heavily to the “problem” being wholly psychosomatic.  I feel for these sufferers, I really do.  However the help they need has nothing to do with eliminating EMF, and you offering affirmation or encouragement that it does is of no help at all. 

https://www.mareonline.nl/achtergrond/ze-zijn-ziek-van-straling-zeggen-ze-maar-niemand-gelooft-ze/?fbclid=IwAR1UbmRGlJYFECFaIHtgUUzdqSpReCQRSAk2sus0kQ9tcxrMC7R-tRBAAJQ

Bluetooth is only active when setting up.  WiFi can be turned off in the settings menu:

How to disable or enable WiFi on your Sonos players

Make sure to wrap your flat in a Faraday cage to prevent everyone else’s BT and WiFi signals from getting in. And cellphone signals.

Don’t forget the solar radiation.  Nasty stuff. 

I just bought a new Sonos One. The bluetooth is still on after the setup and there is no way to disable it. Please make it possible to turn it off. I'm also concerned about EMF radiation. There are many studies that says it is harmfull. I think it will be our generation smoking problem. So please stop making lame jokes about it.

I have a to year old Sonos One with voice assistent, and there is no bluetooth in that speaker, so I was very surprised and dissapointed to see it in my new one. The new speaker is useless to me :-(

Userlevel 7

Hi @Henrik Duedal 

I don’t think Sonos is going to introduce a switch to turn off Bluetooth LE (Low Energy). Accordingly it’s only active during setup.

It’s not my intention to get into a long debate about the source, cause and effects of EMF radiation. However to target Sonos IMO is a bit of a stretch given all the other probable sources of EMF.

Take a look at the YouTube video in the link. After viewing it you may want to move to a deserted island. Although moving to a deserted would be extreme the bottom-line is that there’s no escape. 

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=what+is+emf+radiation&docid=608035865481642019&mid=038BE28E7B0277E3EFF5038BE28E7B0277E3EFF5&view=detail&FORM=VIRE

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

Even your remote island option is iffy given the number of high power ocean penetrating radar surveillance satellites there are orbiting today.

If all your speakers are wired (I assume they are) you can turn off the wireless radios in the speakers.

Go to Settings, System, then under Products tap the speaker type (for example,  Play:5) for each product and then Disable WiFi.

If you have a Sonos HT then it is best to leave the radios on the components on and wire only the main speaker. 

I know I can turn off the WiFi and have already done so on all my Sonos speakers. It is only the bluetooth that is my issue. And it is on all the time, not only when setting up the device.

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

I have to ask the OP: how are you controlling your Sonos speakers without any device emitting EMF? Can’t be an Echo, or a Google device, or a mobile device obviously.

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

My biggest question here is why would someone worried about Bluetooth and WiFi buy a system that uses them?

From experience I have a cell phone and laptop which has a capability of wifi and bluetooth. Both these devices can be turned on or off (activated or deactivated). The same goes for routers with respect for wifi although on Virgin’s router it isn’t an easy process for non tech people to use this feature. 
Considering the Sonos unit gives excellent sound quality it would be reasonable to expect that using the auxiliary input, there would be an option to disable wifi and bluetooth. 
In the absence of a built in method, it’s a reasonable request to see if the unit can be hacked to remove those functions, with also meter testing to show it has been achieved. 

From an RF exposure standpoint turning off the WiFi and Bluetooth on an active cell phone is going after the lesser of three evils.

Turning off WiFi to a non-Ethernet connected Sonos would remove the ability to control it.

Several good points for other reasons to turn off Bluetooth.

I have to ask the OP: how are you controlling your Sonos speakers without any device emitting EMF? Can’t be an Echo, or a Google device, or a mobile device obviously.

I use voice with google assistent and then I use a android tablet connected to a ethernet cable

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

So is there no EMF from the Google device, the router or the tablet? They are all electronic devices. 

So is there no EMF from the Google device, the router or the tablet? They are all electronic devices. 

It is very very low. The switch is ground connected and I use at CAT 6 shielded ethernetcable, wich reduces the e-field to a minimum in the tablet. The tablet is in fly-mode and dosen’t emit any radiation from wifi og bluetooth

If you are worried about the harmful effects of non-ionizing EMF, WHY ARE YOU BUYING WiFI DEVICES AT ALL!!!???

I’m worried by the harmful effects of smoking.  So I don’t smoke.  Ever.  Period. 

And if I were worried about the harmful effects of non-ionizing EMF, I wouldn’t own a cell phone, or Sonos, or a WiFI router, or anything that uses WiFi.  Ever.  Period. 

I wouldn’t expect Sonos to accommodate my wishes when, if my fears are founded, I shouldn’t even allow their product in my house.  

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

@tpalmquist06 Since the bluetooth version that is built in to Sonos is BLE (low energy), where do you get the notion that it’s emissions would be high? 

There are probably some meters to measure whether the device is transmitting something and I would gladly buy it, but they are probably expensive toys.

I did find this tool. I cannot vouch for its accuracy or effectiveness.

The only Sonos device with Bluetooth is the Sonos Move. All other current products have Bluetooth Low Energy (BLE) for set up purposes only, which doesn’t carry any music signal. 

I am confused as to why you chose to purchase WiFi speakers if you’re only interested in a wired solution. 

Do you also shield the power supply and electrical cables to block the EMF they generate?