Question

playbar and comittment for DTS playback firmware upgrade

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

214 replies

Is it? Like, wireless, home theatre, 5.1?

All valid research results.

Who ,that doesn't have prior knowledge or technical understanding, thinks to check what kind of audio signal can be passed over optical from their television? What average consumer thinks to check that out?
Userlevel 1
Me. If you go anywhere that sells Sonos and read the reviews you would know this in a matter of minutes.
Whatever mate.
Userlevel 1
Well things to consider further, whilst I throughly want DTS support from SONOS and I am in no favour of all these DVD players doing DTS to DD convertions. I believe SONOS has another plan up its sleeve that I for one hope happens. I believe the SONOS system can achieve surround settings the same way cinemas can supporting any configuration like 9.2 or 15.4 Whilst at this stage we don't have DTS consider how in the past 8yrs HDMI technology has changed. We have gone from 1.2-1.4 and now supporting 4k up scaling and so on. If you purchased any of the current soundbars with HDMI on them, most if not all of them within the next 2 yrs will be obsolete due to technology. Also consider the fact that HDMI at this stage will probably only support a data throughput of 35Gbps. Tv companies are now in the process of producing 8k TV's and HDMI will not work on that. Please don't respond with we won't have any supporting media either as it will happen. In my opinion SONOS's bold and forward thinking of optical only is a ballsy move and the best part is it only requires a software update. Even though I would love DTS as a primary sound source on it, again it comes back to the TV manufacturers to allow pass-through. the SONOS playbar is 2yrs old in its technology run and at the time of design all TV's optical output was at best DD 2.0. I think it would be incredibly silly at this point to rule out what SONOS plans to achieve in the Playbar
Userlevel 6
Badge +16
@User820801 

So you have the time, inclination and technical understanding to thoroughly research every purchase you every make?
Yes 90% of the time I do when it's a big purchase, have you never bothered because you have money to throw away.

Your post is a bunch of pointless jibes with no substance.

Your opinion only but others might learn to research first.

End of the day, there are a number of customers that aren't happy with Sonos.

Agreed and like every product ever made you will have good and bad, so by that there is no wrong or right just personal experience of that product.

We're going to talk about it. And I , for one, and going to tell others about.

Wow sounds like you have issues, have you got sonos Playbar and if so were you mislead by a salesman or TV advert? If so go make a complaint to trading standards or the Advertising Standards Authority.

Word of mouth is just another form of research.

The systematic investigation into and study of materials and sources in order to establish facts and reach new conclusions.
Userlevel 2
For Christmas I bought myself a top of the line Panasonic Blu-ray player that has the digital optical cable output. I can finally listen to Blu-rays in theater surround sound on my $2000 Sonos home theater system. I also bought a toslink switch so I can run the optical cable directly to my Sonos Playbar from the TV, Apple TV and my new Blu-ray player. 

The switch worked perfectly, now I have true surround sound when watching Apple TV, the difference is phenomenal. Then I switched to my new Blu-ray player well all the previews sounded really great I'm thinking man this is what it's all about. Surround sound was fantastic just what I wanted. Then the main feature started and no sound I'm thinking what is wrong with my new Blu-ray player perhaps I have a bad disk. So I put in the new Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtle movie and it played perfectly beautiful surround sound. Then I put in another movie and no sound from the feature film, so I cursed my new Blu-ray player, thinking it's the problem.

Then I started doing research on the internet trying to figure out what's wrong with my new Blu-ray player. Then I came across this thing called DTS and started reading blogs about how the Sonos is not configured to receive the DTS signal. So I just couldn't believe what I was reading that the problem is my Sonos and not the Blu-ray player. Sonos doesn't support DTS what the heck I replaced a perfectly good Panasonic Home Theater system with what I thought at the time was the most innovative advanced sound system I could buy. Well I must say the Playbar sounds beautiful when playing music from the Sonos app. However I feel cheated when I want to use the system as a home theater. Sonos should have never advertised this system as a home theater when in fact it's not. Enhanced 2 channel surround sound is not what I wanted.

For Christmas I bought myself a top of the line Panasonic Blu-ray player that has the digital optical cable output. I can finally listen to Blu-rays in theater surround sound on my $2000 Sonos home theater system. I also bought a toslink switch so I can run the optical cable directly to my Sonos Playbar from the TV, Apple TV and my new Blu-ray player. 

The switch worked perfectly, now I have true surround sound when watching Apple TV, the difference is phenomenal. Then I switched to my new Blu-ray player well all the previews sounded really great I'm thinking man this is what it's all about. Surround sound was fantastic just what I wanted. Then the main feature started and no sound I'm thinking what is wrong with my new Blu-ray player perhaps I have a bad disk. So I put in the new Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtle movie and it played perfectly beautiful surround sound. Then I put in another movie and no sound from the feature film, so I cursed my new Blu-ray player, thinking it's the problem.

Then I started doing research on the internet trying to figure out what's wrong with my new Blu-ray player. Then I came across this thing called DTS and started reading blogs about how the Sonos is not configured to receive the DTS signal. So I just couldn't believe what I was reading that the problem is my Sonos and not the Blu-ray player. Sonos doesn't support DTS what the heck I replaced a perfectly good Panasonic Home Theater system with what I thought at the time was the most innovative advanced sound system I could buy. Well I must say the Playbar sounds beautiful when playing music from the Sonos app. However I feel cheated when I want to use the system as a home theater. Sonos should have never advertised this system as a home theater when in fact it's not. Enhanced 2 channel surround sound is not what I wanted.

Get a Sony or Samsung Blu-ray player that converts DTS to DD 5.1.  Problem solved.
Userlevel 2

Do you have one that works? I looked at the Samsung BD-F6500 model that supposedly converts DTS to Dolby Digital, however it does not have a digital optical cable output. So does it convert through the HDMI and than have to pass through the TV? If I can get DTS to convert to Dolby Digital I'll be happy. Thanks for the help.

You would need your TV to output DD 5.1 from outside sources via the optical out.  Connect the Playbar to the TV optical out.
Userlevel 2

I'll see if my TV can do that, THANKS!

Hi Thomas.  What makes you say the BD-F6500 has no optical out?  I have this model and it does! I am using it with the Playbar via an optical switch (because I have other inputs to the Playbar).  It transcodes DTS to DD5.1 so does the job for blu-rays

Specs here: http://www.samsung.com/uk/consumer/tv-audio-video/blu-ray-players/blu-ray-players/BD-F6500/XU

John
Userlevel 1

I'm surprised that most of you have purchased an optical switch but didn't purchase one with a DTS decoder or a HDMI switch with optical out and a DTS converter. Using the DVD players ability to convert DTS to DD isn't really optimal at all

What optical switch do you use? What does it do that is more "optimal" than my PS4 converting between DTS and DD? 
Userlevel 2

John, I was looking at the pictures of the rear of this model and it does not show a Digital Optical output, it actually shows a coaxial digital output. However the data spec sheet says it does have a digital optical output. So perhaps they have the wrong picture of the back, take a look at your link and see what you think. I want this model however it says the model number is no longer available, so I'll look for the comparable unit. I'm glad there is a Blu-ray player that can decode the dts and convert to dolby digital. I just need to make sure I get the right one.      
Userlevel 1

Martin the conversion of DTS to DD is "dirty" and should never have happened in the first place. Those that want DTS sound are comproming the DTS sound by doing this conversion. The point of a DTS converter it to send the Playbar a decoded 5.1 or 7.1 source, which the Play will do.
Userlevel 2

I'm with you Martin, I'm just looking for something to give a me a DTS conversion to 5.1 and I'll be happy. The 5.1 sounds really good on the Sonos.

Thomas.  Replacement seems to be the BD-H6500.  Link to manual below.  On quick look it appears to be OK for you, but please take a careful look. John

http://downloadcenter.samsung.com/content/UM/201402/20140204140842395/02465A-BD-H6500-ZA-ENG-0204_BM...
Userlevel 2

Thanks John, BD-H6500 it is! The manual says it will convert DTS to Dolby Digital so I'm a happy camper. I really appreciate your help. Thanks again!
Userlevel 4
Badge +1

I have the predecessor, the BD-F6400 and use the optical out and transcoding to get Blurays to work (ie. produce DD5.1). It works.
Userlevel 1

I got a question for you all. I have a samsung smart tv and a hdmi switch with optical splitter capabilities. This way al my hdmi devices (Rpi, ps3, Tv decoder) can pass on DD5.1 to the playbar and 2x play:3s. DTS is transcoded to DD5.1 or downmixed to 2.0. It works as expected. There is however a functional problem. I also enjoy watching netflix on the smart tv. The app itself is installed on the smart Tv so the Tv generates the 5.1 and not some other hdmi device. By using the hdmi switch there is no optical out from the tv to the sonos or the switch. There is only the optical out from the switch to the playbar. I could get ANOTHER optical switch but this would start getting ridiculous. I could also use netflix on the ps3 but I simply want to watch it on the smart tv only. Any of you who also encountered the same problem? Any other suggestions that I'm overlooking?
On my side, I've sold my entire SONOS system because of the DTS issue and the behavior of the Sonos team.
I've bought a Samsung Home Theater system and the Samsung Shape System. Now, I can listen my bluray with DTS-HD audio (not DTS only, but DTS-HD), can listen to my Spotifiy radios by Spotify Connect on my Samsung Shape and I will never buy once again a Sonos product and inform all my friends, my family and my colleagues about this situation with Sonos.

So: "Dear Sonos Team, two words for you: good bye" !
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
You never said hello - you registered to say goodby and complain.  Sonos wasn't for you.. fine but that makes you a troll.
Userlevel 6
Badge +16
You never said hello - you registered to say goodby and complain. 
+10 There Chris 🙂
No, you're wrong : https://ask.sonos.com/sonos/topics/dts-support-still-needed-wk2p1?topic-reply-list%5Bsettings%5D%5Bf... My pseudo was razowski84
But anyway, I let you with your sonos system, good luck
And I can also write this comment with my razowski pseudo if you prefer...