Question

playbar and comittment for DTS playback firmware upgrade

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

214 replies

Userlevel 1
This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled DD 5.1+/DTS support. Upcoming purchase.
This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled Joining into the protest, add DTS to Playbar. We don't want 'workarounds' in order to play DTS. 
Even my new TV now is able to output DTS, but I can't. 
I have lost count of how many people want DTS, but we want it. The Playbar is amazing and is being let down by this hugely. 
Userlevel 1
This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled Playbar - DTS support. I know this has raised before but i just wanted to add my voice. I bought the Playbar as a one size fits all solution for my living room; To improve the sound of the tv, allow me to play music and when watching films grab 2 play 1s from other rooms and use them as rear surrounds. I was advised by the salesperson that the Sonos Playbar and system was fit for this purpose

Firstly I find that my TV (like the vast majority) won't pass surround sound from an HDMI source (like my bluray player) over optical, which i have got around by buying an toslink switch, then I discover that the 5.1 DTS feed from my bluray player is unrecognized by the Playbar!

What is the point of creating a system where you can set up 5.1 using the (very expensive) Sonos components and then not support DTS? It makes absolutely no sense to me, surely this can be added via firmware quite easily?
So for you, the fact that a playbar - a material to make better sound for TV - is not working with TV standard is normal ?

I can answer for you, no it's not. 

And when i read that sonos is not doing it just because the DTS owner want to bill them for each sold unit (as everyone else) but sonos as try to negociate only "package price", it's just stupid. 

be practical : make a premium firmware 10$ that have DTS, and everyone is happy !

(And sorry for my english, it must be a couple of years i've not written something in this language !)
Badge
Sorry I disagree with Prescott.  The two things that annoy me:

1. They don't support DTS.  Given that it is transported over the same medium (optical) and all it requires is a license to do the decoding - omitting it was no more than an attempt at reducing their BoM cost.  It could easily have been added and all this 'we monitored the market' garb is just that.. Garb.  By far the predominent format on Blu-Ray is DTSHD and while I know that cannot go over Toslink, like every other device on the planet, DTS-HD tracks can still be played over TosLink as just the core track is used (still 5.1).  Given the amount of people here asking for it and being totally ignored is it any wonder people are frustrated?

2.  The Sub and Bar are not available in white.  Once again, not a major ask.  No fundamental product redesign needed - especially as they do their other components in white already.

It just smacks of arrogance.  "We know more than our customers about what they want!".  All the companies I know who have done that in the past have ended up disappearing...
Badge
I am looking at the LifeStyle 525 and the SoundTouch 20's and 30's
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
Our stance on DTS support hasn’t changed. The PLAYBAR doesn’t support DTS and we have no plan to add it in the future. The main thread regarding DTS support is found here, which has our standing official response and some background information.

If DTS is a requirement for you, there are some straightforward ways to get the audio playing on your system by transcoding DTS to Dolby Digital. Note that your TV must be capable of passing a Dolby Digital signal through its optical port.

• Certain Blu-ray players are capable of converting DTS to Dolby Digital output during playback. Some players capable of this conversion are the Samsung BD-F6500, Samsung BD-F5900, and Samsung BD-F5700.
  • In addition, the Xbox One can transcode DTS to Dolby Digital 5.1. More information for setting up the Xbox One can be found here.
If DTS is a must-have and you don’t want to use a workaround, the PLAYBAR may not be the right solution for you.

We support discussion, and will leave these threads available for conversation and suggestions. However, we also want to be very clear that we have no plans at this time to implement DTS support for the PLAYBAR.
Userlevel 6
Badge +16
Yeh Ryan you tell umm 🙂
Userlevel 1
Things to consider also in the above post. I'll address HDMI first as this seems to be a thing that people ask for but miss one of the fundamental points. At this current stage HDMI has gone through several changes from 1.3-2.0 and now starting at 4K as well. Like many people you may have invested in a high quality audio receiver that had first gen HDMI pass-through. The receiver/amp is still chugging alone nicely but your now about to purchase a new 4K tv and your amp is no longer compatible. What do you do? SONOS made the decision to not use HDMI in their Playbar due to the ever changing hardware updates. If you paid $999AUS for your sound bar a few years ago, it would not have 4k upscale to pass-through. And you would be very frustrated at your purchase, now if you wanted a new 4k tv. In regards to the Playbar and Sub "must need" package, I would hardly compare the SONOS Sub to many subs on the market under $1500. If you have yet to play "Limit to your love" by James Blake I suggest you try it. I personally think SONOS's best option would be to add DTS/DD decoder into their new Boost and decode it on the fly
Userlevel 1
Our stance on DTS support hasn’t changed. The PLAYBAR doesn’t support DTS and we have no plan to add it in the future. The main thread regarding DTS support is found here, which has our standing official response and some background information.

If DTS is a requirement for you, there are some straightforward ways to get the audio playing on your system by transcoding DTS to Dolby Digital. Note that your TV must be capable of passing a Dolby Digital signal through its optical port.

• Certain Blu-ray players are capable of converting DTS to Dolby Digital output during playback. Some players capable of this conversion are the Samsung BD-F6500, Samsung BD-F5900, and Samsung BD-F5700.
  • In addition, the Xbox One can transcode DTS to Dolby Digital 5.1. More information for setting up the Xbox One can be found here.
If DTS is a must-have and you don’t want to use a workaround, the PLAYBAR may not be the right solution for you.

We support discussion, and will leave these threads available for conversation and suggestions. However, we also want to be very clear that we have no plans at this time to implement DTS support for the PLAYBAR.

Translation - stuff what your customers want, you aren't doing it!
Userlevel 4
Badge +1

Such a shame, Ryan, that the Playbar can't decode DTS on the fly..... all for the sake of a few pennies, poor market research, poor product development and poor product support. How about a buy-back programme for your customer base? Or extending the money back guarantee?
Badge

You guys are amazing. The way you care about you costumers and their ideas is fantastic.

Actually i bout the system knowing the problem with DTS, but there's workarounds, no perfect ones but anyways. The problem is that I thought that a high end manufacture of sound products like Sonos would lie in the front regarding this stuff. I thought that Sonos would turn around and say "hey okay, we was wrong, you was right, we will add DTS".

How stupid I was. Sonos really got their heads up in their arses.

At least tell us the reason why you won't support DTS. Is it hardware limitation? Home networking ompatibility issues? Conflict of company interest? Whatever politics it may be, at least just tell us. If you're part of some anti-DTS license group and want to be the big boy to stand up to DTS fees, that's fine, at least just let us know. We'll even support you. If your data shows most people buy Sonos to play music and only 0.1% would use DTS but DTS wants you to pay a license fee on all speakers sold, again, just tell us the honest truth. Hiding this just makes Sonos seem like another lowest common denominator product company.

I know Sonos has made it clear they have no plans to implement DTS. I think it's also safe to say many of us won't be buying or recommendding another Sonos product until you can provide some honest truth to why DTS isn't supported because so far all comments by Sonos has just been BS.
Userlevel 3
It's amazing that I always considered sonos to be high end but since investing in a rather expensive system I have managed to put most of my friends off buying them. Once you explain the many limitations its a no brainier that they are just not worth the hassle and there are cheaper and better systems out there that are much more flexible. Now go out and spread the word and we'll see if they still act so dogmatic.
Userlevel 1
I was still hoping DTS support would come around some day but this seems pretty clear. They simply don't want to support a standard audio format. Sonos, don't advertise your products as a high end home cinema system because today you confirmed again that it is cleary not and will not be one in the future. 
Userlevel 4
Badge +1
It's amazing that I always considered sonos to be high end but since investing in a rather expensive system I have managed to put most of my friends off buying them. Once you explain the many limitations its a no brainier that they are just not worth the hassle and there are cheaper and better systems out there that are much more flexible. Now go out and spread the word and we'll see if they still act so dogmatic.
Same here. I'm committed to explaining the limitations to anyone considering Sonos. If they buy when forewarned that's fine, but all I've informed have gone elsewhere....
This is the reason for me not to buy SONOS player. Have a lot of SONOS in the house for music etc but now with my 4k UHD TV I will NOT buy the playbar, subwoofer & satellite speakers for my 5.1 surround to go with the TV. Looking to buy e.g. Harman Kardon. 
Userlevel 1
Which Harman kardon are you looking at Marc?
Looking at either the BDS 680 or 880. Alternatively the AVR 370 with JBL speakers (have that set up in my home cinema in my basement and very satisfied). 
Userlevel 1
Badge
There's no home cinema capable wireless multiroom solution from Harman. Their Omni series delivers wireless multiroom HD audio but it's not meant for home cinema setups.
Userlevel 1
I think he was being sarcastic about the last statement. DTS is going to be a massive issue very soon, as all Bluray movies will be encoded in DTS. As I stated about though the issue isn't the Playbar, it's your TV not supporting Pass-Through. The optical output on most TVs is Dolby 2.0 and the Playbar decodes it from there
The problem IS the playbar if sonos recommends to use a HDMI switch. I got one and it works perfectly. Every signal is passed to the playbar. If you use Netflix app or Plex app on a smart tv, it is considered OTA and then your optical out port on the tv even passes all signals. In latter case you don't need a switch and the playbar is the issue.
Userlevel 1
Badge
But those HK BDS are just home theater in a box solutions. Wired speakers and no multiroom. The Blu-ray disc is integrated into the receiver and features a rear fan. I would at least take a look at LG's Music Flow system or Bose Lifestyle first.
Userlevel 1
You just can't compare Sonos to wired systems. They are the most innovative wireless multi room system out there. They have issues that we can see but do they know something we don't.? Is there a new format that will replace DTS? Is it just a licensing fee issue? I don't know. What I do know is I will never have a wired home theater again. Keep us posted Sonos. You do have loyal customers that love the product.
Userlevel 1
You just can't compare Sonos to wired systems. They are the most innovative wireless multi room system out there. They have issues that we can see but do they know something we don't.? Is there a new format that will replace DTS? Is it just a licensing fee issue? I don't know. What I do know is I will never have a wired home theater again. Keep us posted Sonos. You do have loyal customers that love the product.
Have you tried to buy a blu-ray recently?? Have a look on the back and tell me how many are in DTS master audio. It's the superior format and it's here to stay. And even if it isn't, say, Dolby Atmos becomes movie standard - Sonos doesn't even decode the current Dolby TrueHD. 

Samsung have Shape, LG have music flow. LG have made a big point of being able to decode DTS, and their playbar has a HDMI output AND input, so their multi-room setup will actually be a true 5.1. The sound is great but the app at the moment is terrible in it's first iteration. Give it a year and it will be much improved. Sonos have the market still, but it won't be for long at this rate.
Userlevel 1
You talk about innovation and still buy DVD's Streaming is the future and Sonos saw that years ago. Get on board with followers. Go ahead.