Play:5 Hardware Failure

Hey everyone, so I have several Sonos components, one of which, my Play:5, stopped working about a week ago. I've had the speaker for about 14 months. It has no power, led's don't light up, and it doesn't show up on the app. Speaker is completely dead. Contacted support, did a reset, ran a diagnostic, and it still doesn't work. Does anyone have any suggestions on how I can fix this or what may be the issue? A simple Google search showed dozens of people with the same problem, so it's not uncommon but I couldn't find anyone that suggested a fix. Contacting Sonos support didn't get me anywhere. They are happy to charge me $150 to take a look and repair but that seems very unreasonable. The unit was plugged into a Panamax power conditioner so I know a power surge didn't get it. Hard to believe a fairly high end speaker like this would simply fail for no apparent reason 2 months after the warranty expires....

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

33 replies

Hi, I have several Sonos products but made the mistake of purchasing a Connect from a third party. It died within 7 weeks so I contacted Sonos for advice on repair. They do not do a 'repair' service however they offered to replace the unit for which I was very grateful. Then came the rub. I would have to pay them £249 (Connect is £309 new here in UK at present) and what's worse, the replacement unit only has a 90 day guarantee. This clearly is NOT an option so my Connect is now scrap.

It seems that potential buyers need to be aware that there is no repair service and no spare parts available and they cannot even find out how old a unit might be. Seems to me if people were aware of this they probably wouldn't buy a 'used' Sonos item. This might also impact upon the sale of new items if there were little chance of selling it on.
ok i wil contact Sonos to see what is going on
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
i possess Play 5 Gen 1 and suddently without reason - nothing work anymore - even light not working ? please help

Beyond trying a different power cable/outlet give Sonos a call.
i possess Play 5 Gen 1 and suddently without reason - nothing work anymore - even light not working ? please help
My play5 failed this week after updating with recent software update. 2 months over 3 years, sobout of warranty. Sonos turns out to be a junk company with junk products which wants 350 us dollars for replacement. I will never buy any product from them and then make sure none of our friends even consider them. My money wasted on faulty product, and my time.
Hi Lance17, I had a similar experience, and share your reaction. It's a shame that I thought I was getting a premium product that would last, but really just purchased the first year of a $500-a-year subscription service to a home stereo....

I hope Best Buy at least offered you acceptable customer service!
I bought two Sonos Play:5 Gen 1's a little over a year ago. Now one of the speakers has a rapidly flashing green light. Tried resetting by unplugging, then while holding pause button in plugged back in. Heard this would reset the speaker. Wouldn't reset. So I called Sonos support. Was on the phone with them as they logged onto my computer and did all they could do to figure out the problem. In the end... they told me it was a bad speaker. Nothing I could do. So they offered me $150 credit to send back in to replace with Play:5 Gen 2. But Gen 1 and Gen 2 won't play stereo together. So, I'd either have to go on-line and find a second Play:5 Gen1 (probably can find one for $150), or just live with a mis-matched pair (Gen1 with a Gen2), or send in both Play:5 Gen 1's and replace with Gen 2's. Can't tell you how upset I am with this speaker not lasting more than a year or so. I will take it to Best Buy where I bought them and see what kind of deal I can cut with them. IMO Sonos should replace the speaker free of charge since it only lasted about 18 months. Soon, if enough people start complaining about the quality of their speakers I suspect their business will start to slow down.
Badge
Any options here. I'd love to be able to bypass the onboard supply on a play1 and play 5 in order to determine if the issue is within the onboard supply.
Hi... Did it work..? I have mine running on an external power supply, as I gave up fixing the onboard switch mode supply. No schematics. And previous owner had already opened it, so I could not utilize Sonos exchange program, which otherwise would have been nice.

Hi, my play5 power supply seems to have died too. Could you share how you hooked up an external power supply as that seems like the easiest way to get it working again. Thanks!
Well, clearly your vision of "generous" and mine are not the same. That's it. About learning, I've indeed learned that I will never buy Sonos anymore.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Sorry, but in Europe, 2,5 year the device would still be under warranty. So that crap about out of warranty in Canada because here is only 1 year is just bulxxxxx

I'm not saying it's not frustrating and annoying. But like I said you WERE offered a very good option which you chose to ignore. In my opinion that was a mistake. But we live and learn eh?
They had liability. Just their product which was not OK. As I wrote, I tried and opened it AFTER having contacted them and their failure to propose an acceptable solution.
Sorry, but in Europe, 2,5 year the device would still be under warranty. So that crap about out of warranty in Canada because here is only 1 year is just bulxxxxx
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Thanks for the advice. I indeed called them BEFORE, but since there was no acceptable proposal, I took the things in my own hands. As mentioned here above, their "generous" offer was to pay 206 $ for a replacement unit. Mine was even not 3 years old.

Given Sonos had NO liability on your failed product to offer you a replacement Play 5 for around 1/3 the cost of a new one is in my opinion extremely generous. It's irrelevant now as you'll either need to buy a new one or purchase second hand
Thanks for the advice. I indeed called them BEFORE, but since there was no acceptable proposal, I took the things in my own hands. As mentioned here above, their "generous" offer was to pay 206 $ for a replacement unit. Mine was even not 3 years old.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Hi,
Does anybody have information on how/where to buy spare parts ? My Play:5 stopped working correctly. Actually, the central (big) speaker has problems. It makes itching noise. Tried opening the Sonos and disconnecting this one only and the rest works great. But of course, without the main speaker, no bass 😢.
My Play:5 is 2,5 years old, so according to Canadian law, 1,5 outside warranty and support "offers" me a replacement (same version) for a "generous" 206 CAD. So I'm looking for a way to repair it. Asked support to provide me with a replacement part, but no response for now.
Thanks for any hint

Sonos don't supply replacement parts though you may find somewhere on the web where folk have dismantled units. Advice for the future is to call Sonos BEFORE you open the unit. They usually make very generous offers to purchase refurbished units. But once opened all bets are off.
Hi all just to let you know that Richer sounds in Reading returned our play 5 to Sonos for £40 who have replaced it with a new one for no extra charge. Great result. Thank you to all who helped us try this solution :0)
Hi,
Does anybody have information on how/where to buy spare parts ? My Play:5 stopped working correctly. Actually, the central (big) speaker has problems. It makes itching noise. Tried opening the Sonos and disconnecting this one only and the rest works great. But of course, without the main speaker, no bass 😢.
My Play:5 is 2,5 years old, so according to Canadian law, 1,5 outside warranty and support "offers" me a replacement (same version) for a "generous" 206 CAD. So I'm looking for a way to repair it. Asked support to provide me with a replacement part, but no response for now.
Thanks for any hint
Hi all thank you for the advice. We contacted Richer sounds who we bought it from and they have suggested to take it back to their shop even though it is out of warranty and they say they can send it to Sonos if they can't get it to work. Will let you know the eventual outcome but it may be a while.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
411y.

Before you do anything to the speaker give Sonos a call. As Jesper suggests they may well offer you a re-furbished unit at a very attractive price.
Userlevel 1
Sad to hear. But do check out if that same exchange program is available for you. I know here in Denmark, it was actually quite a good deal (when comparing to just having to scrap it)

But then again, now you have the excuse to go out and buy the updated play:5 😉
Sadly no it didn't work. Guess the fuse went because there was something wrong with the speaker. Checked both power leads today and both still working but play 5 still dead :0(
Userlevel 1
Hi... Did it work..? I have mine running on an external power supply, as I gave up fixing the onboard switch mode supply. No schematics. And previous owner had already opened it, so I could not utilize Sonos exchange program, which otherwise would have been nice.
Hi All,
I am in the UK. Have had the same problem with a play 5 which is completely dead. I tried plugging it in overnight when re-set didn't work. Plug in did not work overnight and re-set still not working. Just no lights working on it at all. Just tried the power lead from the non working one on a working speaker it didn't work. Checked the actual fuse in plug and the fuse had blown. Have now plugged the non working speaker in and will leave it tonight and see if it works in the morning for a re-set. Fingers crossed as these are very expensive speakers to not work after a couple of years. Will let you all know tomorrow :o)
Userlevel 1
Hi SixPointsKev.
Did you get any progress on your Play:5? I have one with similar problem. I am.just searching for schematics to start troubleshooting..