Play:5 Hardware Failure

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

33 replies

Thank you everyone for the quick replies! Unfortunately, I'm in the states and the UK laws don't apply. The 1979 Sale Of Goods Act would be great to reference but I'm not in the UK, and besides, the Sonos products sold in the UK have two year hardware warranties so I'd still be covered. Go figure, people in the states get screwed with a 1 manufacturers warranty. I was hoping someone who had gone through this type of failure might be able to suggest a fix, like replacing a fuse, capacitor, something along those lines since I'm sure that's what the problem is... That's easy enough for me to fix on my own. I can tell you I won't be paying Sonos $150 to make the repairs and if I can't get something worked out with them or the retailer I bought it from, that was the last Sonos product I'll ever purchase. I'd rather give Bose or another competitor a shot if this is how they treat customers. Might not be any better somewhere else but I'd at least give it a shot.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Simon, I absolutely agree it is worth fighting your corner and as you say it will depend largely on how well your present yourself and who you talk to. Your experience and my comments do not disagree with each other, here is a section from the page you linked to:-

Any defect or non-conformity of goods with the contract which becomes apparent within 6 months of delivery are presumed to have existed at the time of delivery. After the expiry of this 6 month period, the burden to prove that the defect or non-conformity of goods with the contract existed on delivery generally shifts to the consumer.
Here's apples page about their take on it: http://www.apple.com/uk/legal/statutory-warranty/
Worked for me Stuart more than once. Depends who you are dealing with as to how pushy they get but in my experience if you deal with the store the right way and stand your ground they will normally do the right thing.

Always ask to speak to head office or the area manager if not.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Don't forget, under EU law you are protected for 6 years from date of purchase. I had a laptop repaired by Apple FOC after 2 years under this piece of legislation. Contact the retailer involved and tell them you are invoking your rights under this law and they should legally repair it at no cost you to you given the fact this should last a lot longer than 1 year. (note power cable will not likely be covered by main unit will be).

It's not really as simple as that. There is NOT a six year warranty. If YOU can prove the fault was present at manufacture AND you would have a reasonable expectation of a 6 year life (I think that second bit would be easy) then you have a claim.

If you are in the UK then "The Sale of Goods Act" is your friend
Don't forget, under EU law you are protected for 6 years from date of purchase. I had a laptop repaired by Apple FOC after 2 years under this piece of legislation. Contact the retailer involved and tell them you are invoking your rights under this law and they should legally repair it at no cost you to you given the fact this should last a lot longer than 1 year. (note power cable will not likely be covered by main unit will be).
This may be rather a simple point, but I've had intermittent problems with a PLAY:5 Gen1 which turned out to be due to a faulty power cable and/or the force being applied to it when the unit was pushed back against a wall.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Well firstly.

Your contract is with the retailer from whom you purchased the speaker. If you have a contractual beef take it up with them.
However, chances are the unit is outside of warranty so $150 to inspect, repair and test a Play 5 doesn't seem particularly unreasonable to me. You are not going to get it repaired for any less than that elsewhere unless the fix really is very easy.

I suggest you bite the bullet and get it repaired by Sonos or their authorised repair shop, request a report and then prepare to argue the toss depending on what they find. However, as you say the unit is out of warranty so it would have to be a gross manufacturing defect to help.