Question

HomeKit

• 14 September 2016
  • 53 replies

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

53 replies

Board burp, caused duplicate post. Sorry!
Userlevel 2
Badge
I`m not disagreeing with you but If look at other companies like Phillips Hue, they do support Apple Homekit, Nest, Amazon and IFTT. There is no point in my opinion that SONOS don`t do the same.
It's entirely possible that they're working on it. We won't know if they are until Sonos releases it, since Sonos usually doesn't talk about what they're cooking up. But my impression is that of all the home automation companies that are out there, Apple is the most challenging, and probably least flexible. When you're the 900 pound gorilla on the block, you don't need to be all that flexible. I think that is why there have been such great advances by others in that marketplace. They're less rigid, and more amenable to working with others. I don't hate Apple, I've got many of their devices in my stable. But they do have a history of "my way, or the highway" in their DNA.
I think the announcement of HomePod yesterday kills the possiblity of HomeKit intergration.
If only it was up to Sonos as a company individually to add it, without requiring any cooperation from Apple. But I don't think it works that way, to my way of thinking it requires cooperation on both sides.
Userlevel 4
Badge +5
If only it was up to Sonos as a company individually to add it, without requiring any cooperation from Apple. But I don't think it works that way, to my way of thinking it requires cooperation on both sides.
You don't think the ball is in Sonos' court? Did you see the list of supported companies in the Keynote? Sonos was absent, then later used as the example for a "dumb" speaker.

Apple took a shot at Sonos so clearly they haven't been playing very nice, meanwhile, a whole lot of other companies have.
Userlevel 2
Badge +1
Bruce hit on something big here. HomePod is NOT a viable replacement for a Sonos system. You can put one anywhere in your house and Apple will support multi-room for the HomePod, but Sonos devices take so many sizes and shapes. I'm not going to replace my 5.1 system with a couple of HomePods. The HomePods don't connect to a television. I'm not going to replace my Play:5 with a Apple speaker. The Apple Speaker doesn't sound as good.

Simply put, there's really no robust solution that can replace Sonos via Apple. And that's not even considering the fact that HomePod only supports Apple Music while Sonos supports ALMOST everything.
Userlevel 2
Badge +1
I don't run Sonos, but if I did, I would do whatever I could to get on stage at Google I/O or a Google product launch as a launch partner for a Google service. If Sonos could position itself as the premium android speaker option, they could be a true viable competitor to Apple's offering.
Userlevel 3
Badge +5
I don't run Sonos, but if I did, I would do whatever I could to get on stage at Google I/O or a Google product launch as a launch partner for a Google service. If Sonos could position itself as the premium android speaker option, they could be a true viable competitor to Apple's offering.

Premium and Android don't gel. Especially of you look at longevity of the Sonos speakers (not to speak about their penchant to keep your information). See the list of Apple phones that TruePlay supports - it starts from the 4s!!! Which Android Phone from that era still survives in functional mode today?
NO ONE does true multi room and true wireless like Sonos

Check this link to read on the Apple solution https://www.theverge.com/2017/6/5/15740944/apple-homepod-speaker-photos-video-hands-on-wwdc-2017.
Userlevel 3
Badge +5
Lots of good points. But HomePod seems to do the one thing I think is great about Sonos: it streams directly to the device, not via your phone or computer. That's gonna give Sonos a run for their money.

It also does a lot of things that Sonos can't do.

Finally, if the HomePod is successful, you can bet it will eventually come in other shapes and sizes.

If Sonos doesn't start to step up, this could be the beginning of the end for Sonos. (A dire sentiment, but a plausible one.)

I wonder if the Alexa + Sonos solution will change that? My gut feeling is that Apple has not been great at making speakers (don't get me started on Beats!) or even headphones. So if the technology works then they will still be a limited environment not able to serve up the list of music services from competitors. Don't get me wrong - I (and my entire family) use all of Apple's mobile and portable devices.

Best case they will get people who buy without paying much heed... The market is huge, even Bose seems to sell speakers right ?
Userlevel 5
Badge +11

Premium and Android don't gel.

Unsupportable opinion.

Especially of you look at longevity of the Sonos speakers (not to speak about their penchant to keep your information). See the list of Apple phones that TruePlay supports - it starts from the 4s!!! Which Android Phone from that era still survives in functional mode today?

TruePlay is easy for Apple due to the lack of variety in models. It's a challenge that the Android ecosystem faces, but it has nothing to do with device quality.

The 4S was sold as recently as mid-2014, but I'm presuming you want to compare against its original launch back at the end of 2011. It's a moot point because 4S support doesn't support the assertion. Premium doesn't mean long lasting in the "smart phone" game. No reasonable person buys the highest end devices with the intent of using them for a decade. The better buy would always be to purchase mid-tier devices on a regular interval. There's not a smart phone being designed with true long term use in mind because it'd be folly.
Badge
Being an avid home management/security (15+ years) Apple (10+ years) and SONOS (newbie), I am really interested in integration/interoperability of these 3.

As we know, in the WWDC announcements, HomeKit acknowledge speakers compatibility from a number of speaker suppliers to interface with homekit and airplay2.

I am interested to hopefully see SONOS in this list soon. Perhaps we have the SONOS direct sound option with TruePlay and also an alternate use for the SONOS speakers using AirPlay2 or some higher integration options. We already have access to the speakers through Spotify (a little bit of Apple and orange comparison, I realize) which shows that SONOS recognizes standards and industry leading interfaces are important.

I am looking forward to staying tuned to see what comes next from SONOS in this area of interoperability for us.
Userlevel 5
Badge +11
As yet there is no box "to rule them all"

Someone will win. But who will it be. Juggling several different and incompatible systems is a complete nightmare. Alexa is leading the way, especially with its long awaited release in Europe at the end if October, whilst Homekit still hasn't decided if it wants to work properly and Siri still sucking the battery life out of your device.
Userlevel 3
Badge +2
Thanks for the insight.
Userlevel 5
Badge +11
Ken, Apple music. Perfect fit with Sonos. Lifestyle integration.

I have a house full of Apple stuff because I like the way it all works together without fuss. Since getting Sonos and joining Deezer (I wonder how long they will last) I rarely listen to the huge amount of stuff on my NAS. It's easy to substitute Apple music whuch is where I am likely to head when Deezer disappears.
Well, Apple has just about shut down their ill-fated car project, so maybe they will finally throw enough resources at their home automation projects to catch up with Amazon and Google, who are light years ahead. Not sure why anyone would want to lock themselves into Apple's ecosystem though, when there are two far more open alternatives...
I've been planning to buy Sonos for some time but am waiting to see if they or anyone else support HomeKit first. I don't want to buy any hardware that isn't future proof at this point.
Intersting perspective.

I think they'll likely finish the announced integration with Amazon's Echo first, before moving on to anyone else's systems. Not saying it won't happen, though. Unfortunately Sonos tends not to share much of their roadmap with us consumers. I was surprised they announced the Echo integration, it's the first thing they've pre-announced in recent memory.

Being a pleased owner of Sonos products, I have the feeling that I enjoy the benefits now, without the need to wait for additional features later. They'll be great when they happen, in the meantime, I'm thoroughly happy with the system as it works.

I wouldn't mind if they'd announce something like that, but I'm not holding my breath. I would encourage you not to hold yours, either.
Hi atomick, I'v also installed homebridge on a Raspi and added the Sonos plugin. So far in the Apple "home" app they show up as "switches" which means you can only turn them on or off. I'm gonna try other home kit compatible apps, which also might allow at least volume control. But never the less, it's coll to say "good night " to siri and she turns off the lights and all speakers 🙂. nevertheless I also would highly appreciate Sonos to become HomeKit compatible. Looking forward.
Badge
I'm just starting to completely automate my home and i started out by buying 7 Sonos Speakers for certain areas of my home where i would not install ceiling speakers, i'm also looking to buy another 5, i was told that Sonos speakers are amazing and it's really easy to work...but as i look forward i'm wondering if i made a mistake, my lights, thermostat and blinds will be HomeKit compatible...i want everything run on 1 app and as i'm reading more and more it doesn't look as though they will be part of the Apple eco system.

should i keep investing in a product that i am not sure will meet my wants and needs???
Only you can answer that question. Sonos has stated they are open to working with any home automation system, and have a published API for this very purpose. I'm not sure how much more they can do, it seems asking Apple if they plan to integrate with this API is your next step.
Badge
If they published their API it's because they don't want to venture down that road themselves, also i can say i'm willing to do anything, however actually doing it is somewhat different. there are only a few really big players and them not expressing specifically that they will integrate within this one means that they're waiting for something...not sure exactly what, but the fact that they're waiting means that it's not an obvious decision to them or they're holding out for something or they've chosen a path that will never include them.

I'm just trying to figure out which one of these is the truth, because if they've chosen the path to never include them they will never come out and say it for obvious reasons.
If they've chosen not to, I highly doubt they would say the exact opposite in their biggest press release in years. And publishing an API is most certainly NOT an unwillingness to do it themselves. If they were unwilling to do it, they wouldn't waste the man hours of writing and maintaining an API. They certainly can't do Apple's side of the project, so publishing an API is standard practice for any and all devices wishing to be controlled by 3rd parties. For years 3rd parties have complained about Sonos' unwillingness to publish an API, and now that they have, it's evidence of unwillingness to work with others? Seriously? You'd think you'd take it as encouraging, but there seems to be more going on with your post. Oh well, just trying to help.

should i keep investing in a product that i am not sure will meet my wants and needs???

No, I'm with you. Apple just doesn't seem to have much of a future without Jobs, just like the first time he left. I sure won't be investing in their ecosystem; Amazon and Google are way out front, and Alexa/Sonos integration is due soon.

No, I don't see much of a future for Apple without Jobs. I sure won't be investing in HomeKit either.

Amazon and Google are far ahead in this race, with Amazon being the obvious choice for Sonos owners.