Full stereo option when watching TV audio ... please?

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

131 replies

I'd agree, +1 to this feature, and would be great if it were a toggle like Night Mode, even when playing music because depending on the situation it would be nice to switch between Ambient and Full.
+++++1

I would love to have this feature, we have a Sonos One in the kitchen and would like to still hear the TV while cooking.

Please Sonos add this feature.
Adding my vote to this feature request.
Please add this sonos!!! I see people have requested this for 2 yeses in this tread. I just bougt a a beam, two sonos one's and a sub, but when watching tv it is often only the beam thats active. It is realy bad that i cant use my "one's" when watching music shows and music channels.

When i bougt this i never even thought that Sonos did not have a setting to turn all speakers om when watching tv. Realy disapointing when buying a sound system at this price range..
Sorry for my bad english 🙂
Please add this sonos!!! I see people have requested this for 2 yeses in this tread. I just bougt a a beam, two sonos one's and a sub, but when watching tv it is often only the beam thats active. It is realy bad that i cant use my "one's" when watching music shows and music channels.

When i bougt this i never even thought that Sonos did not have a setting to turn all speakers om when watching tv. Realy disapointing when buying a sound system at this price range..
Sorry for my bad english :)

You could try going to the Beams Room Settings/Advanced Audio/Surround Settings and then sliding the 'TV Level' for audio slider bar all the way over to the right hand side. See if that improves things for you when playing PCM stereo audio based TV channels.
Userlevel 2
This needs to be a feature. It should not be hard to implement. Rear speakers Sonos One speakers paired in 5.1 mode with a Playbase have minimal output when listening to audio that does not take advantage of 5.1 encoding. I would REALLY like to be able toggle on a mode that would allow simple stereo sound to be broadcast to the rear paired Sonos One speakers. This would really be helpful when watching sports games, concerts on the tv, or many other situations where I just want "full" sound coming from behind instead of ambient 5.1 sounds.

Currently the only option is to completely unpair the Sonos Ones from the Playbase, regroup them as a stereo pair, and then group the playback with playbase tv audio. This is not a bit only cumbersome to do, it is really cumbersome to then re-add them back to the playbase as a 5.1 speakers. Also, unpairing them from the 5.1 set-up and regrouping them to the playbase as a stereo pair does not take advantage of the 5Ghz directing pairing and instead uses the standard 2.4Ghz wireless--which increases the latency a bit and is noticeable in the lip-syncing.

Sonos, PLEASE add this feature. A simple toggle to change to "full sound" when watching tv. This can be just like the option to change from ambient to full sound when listening to music. Make this happen. I promise, many people would rejoice. I don't think you understand how many people who pay good money for a nice surround set-up get disappointed and resentful when they don't hear sound coming out their rear speakers during many of their television programs.
Badge
Wow I'm in the market for a sonos playbar etc and if I can't do a simple function like toggling to 2ch then I guess I need to look elsewhere. 4 years people have been asking sonos for this basic function if you search this forum. Not great support
Userlevel 7
Badge +16
Wow I'm in the market for a sonos playbar etc and if I can't do a simple function like toggling to 2ch then I guess I need to look elsewhere. 4 years people have been asking sonos for this basic function if you search this forum. Not great support

Don't hold your breath, can't understand why they won't code this option in. Far more useful than some of the stuff they've been up to recently..

Don't hold your breath, can't understand why they won't code this option in. Far more useful than some of the stuff they've been up to recently..

While usefulness is going to vary from customer to customer, I'd have to agree that this certainly seems like a rather easy change with a big pay off. If the audio coming in is only 2 channel, I don't see why they can't treat it as if it's music source. Even if it meant a 5 second delay before the change kicked in, it would still be a big positive.

I'm normally hesitant to say that a code change is easy, but in this case, Sonos has already implemented this feature for the music source use case.
I'm normally hesitant to say that a code change is easy, but in this case, Sonos has already implemented this feature for the music source use case.
There's no buffering in TV mode, meaning that in addition to introducing serious lip syncing issues, you won't never ever get the rears to play in perfect sync with Playbase/Beam/Playbar.

The playbase/beam/playbar/amp would trasmit to the rears over 5.0 GHZ, same as it does when sending surround sound channels. I wouldn't think there would be a signal processing caused delay either since you aren't processing a new channel or anything. I don't see how you're concluding that sync issue would occur.
TV is a live broadcast, the audio signal would have to be converted/preprocessed by Beam et al. to (double) stereo during the transmission on the fly and passed on to the rears.

There's nothing that has to be converted or processed. All you're doing is sending channels you already have to the rears in addition to the front. Unless there is some sort of hardwiring going on that physical prevents the Beam from sending the LF signal to the LR speaker, I don't see why this is an issue. It can't be more intensive that having the beam recognize that it's receiving a DD 5.1 signal and deciding to send the LR channel to the LR speaker.

I'm open to the possibility that I'm missing some important detail, but I'm not hearing anything that makes me think this is not possible.
An option to switch TV sound to stereo would be great. Stereo sound for music sounds much better. Please try to make this happen.
but asking that main controlling device to receive, then send the same two channel stereo to its rear bonded speakers, most likely means that the audio would need to first be buffered and synchronised before playing the output.

Could be true, but I don't see why that would require buffering, but sending different rear surround channel audio to the rear bonded speakers would be less or none at all. Does duplicating a channel require processing?

The reason buffering (enough to cause video lip sync issues) is required for going from Sonos room to room is because of the wireless 2.4 GHZ limitations, not any kind of processing issues, right? You can build a wired whole home system without any buffering, delay issues, or am I wrong about that? Is it an issue between an analog and digital signal?

I’m guessing this has perhaps already been tried and put in the 'too difficult to do' box, as it has been spoken about lots over several years by community members and there is no 'strong hint' at all from Sonos that they may one day introduce this much requested feature.

I would guess that it's not been requested enough to be a priority, or that the control of such a function within the Sonos app is more complicated than it appears from the outside.

I suppose it doesn't really matter. The feature is not there regardless, I'm just discussing for discussion sake.
Would you be so kind as to post which systems you know of that support this kind of feature? I'm looking for some speakers for my hard of hearing father.
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
Hey @camillo777, I don't have any news on the request to share. The AirPlay 2 option is still they only way to accomplish this.
Adding my vote to this feature request as well. How come this is overlooked? I'd like to play music from my TV, without those surrounds.
Userlevel 3
Badge
I posted a similar feature request recently but with slightly more options. How about 4 or 5 selectable user settings to allow for sub settings, surround and even perhaps we. They could be for listening to music, tv, movies sport etc. it would make the listening experience so much better.
+1  would be great, to be able to play full stereo sound on Play:1 paired with a playbar while watching TV... I don't buy the Playbar yet, only for that.
I recently bought Sonos through recommendations, but my rear speakers will not play at all through my Xbox One when the audio source is Stereo. Surround audio through gaming and videos work great.

I like what you said, there should be more toggles on the controller. Currently there is night mode, speech enhancement mode, there should be "music" mode too which will treat the rear surround speakers as stereo that uses 'full' or 'ambient'. I am on the Controller for Windows PC.

Right now buying the Play:1 is not worth it, I am considering returning them cause watching TV, listening to Music, or anything that emits stereo, doesn't make them work.

I asked this question on another thread and they pointed me to this thread:
https://ask.sonos.com/sonos/topics/xbox-one-treat-party-mode-for-music-and-surround-for-videos-and-g...
Userlevel 5
Badge +2
Sonos is not scaled or intended to serve as an audio processor. 
If you want stereo music on more than two speakers just put them in the same group. I do this with my Playbar and a Play5 stereo pair without any issues. 
Userlevel 2
Doesn't the lag in the spoken word between the playbar and the speakers drive you crazy?
There is no lag with music so why is there one with grouping?  We keep the playbar sound turned down as low as possible and just listen through the speakers
Userlevel 7
Badge +17
Doesn't the lag in the spoken word between the playbar and the speakers drive you crazy?
There is no lag with music so why is there one with grouping? 

I dont see any noticeable lag - only when grouping the playbar with other speakers but that is to be expected since a 'buffer' is needed when grouping.  However, this isnt how I would typically watch TV.
Userlevel 5
Badge +2
There is no lag with music so why is there one with grouping? 

The audio adjustment on the playbar allows to sync this
Userlevel 1
Badge
Sonos is really the poorest customer service in the world ... by far ...
No answer to questions, bad implementation of solutions, I feel dumb because i bought 3 of that poor speakers ...
Userlevel 1
Badge
Sonos is not scaled or intended to serve as an audio processor. 

But can you switch with surround when you're watching a movie. I don't know how to put my playbar and my two play1 in a different group while having my speakers bonded. I don't want to set up everything each time i switch from music on TV to movie on TV