Full stereo option when watching TV audio ... please?

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

131 replies

Userlevel 2
Are there any downsides to using the Neat box type solution other than added wiring/complexity?

I presume the wiring arrangement is; connect ATV4 via hdmi to Neat box ( or similar ) then connect Neat box to tv with hdmi and then Neat box to playbar with optical tos cable?

I want to use atv with a second tv that wont pass through 5.1
Would also very much appreciate this. Please please please add a stereo option to surround sound. I frequently have guests over and this would make watching youtube videos and many TV channels such as sporting events a much more enjoyable experience. Additionally, I frequently hook my DJ controller to the playbar via optical. The sound coming out of the playbar and sub are great but the surround speakers clearly suffer and are not being utilized to their full potention.
Have you tried turning the surrounds level control up to its maximum?
I'm normally hesitant to say that a code change is easy, but in this case, Sonos has already implemented this feature for the music source use case.
There's no buffering in TV mode, meaning that in addition to introducing serious lip syncing issues, you won't never ever get the rears to play in perfect sync with Playbase/Beam/Playbar/Amp whilst in 'stereo mode'.
TV is a live broadcast, the audio signal would have to be converted/preprocessed by Beam et al. to (double) stereo during the transmission on the fly and passed on to the rears. As long as it remains impossible to switch the rears ad hoc between surround configuration and stereo pair this request will remain not feasible.
My personal thoughts here, are that there is currently minimal delay to play a PCM stereo signal to the Beam/PlayBar/PlayBase etc. but asking that main controlling device to receive, then send the same two channel stereo to its rear bonded speakers, most likely means that the audio would need to first be buffered and synchronised before playing the output. If that buffering requirement is true, then perhaps the audio then falls too far out of sync with the video showing on screen, making it not worthwhile to watch and listen in that way. I can’t see this feature being achieved without some sort of audio buffering by the main controlling device.

I’m guessing this has perhaps already been tried and put in the 'too difficult to do' box, as it has been spoken about lots over several years by community members and there is no 'strong hint' at all from Sonos that they may one day introduce this much requested feature.
Bumping this thread: is it possible to get a response from Sonos on this?