Full stereo option when watching TV audio ... please?

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

131 replies

Another vote for this!!! PLEASE Sonos add this to the under consideration list and get it into Beta.

You've already given us the functionality to choose between ambient and full playback when playing music through the Sonos App. Surely it can't be that much harder to give us the same option when playing music through the TV or other external source. We can already achieve it by unlinking the surrounds and regrouping as a stereo pair (and then back again next time we want to watch TV). But that's way too clunky and manual for such a slick sophisticated system (and now you've made that method even more time consuming by prompting us to retune Trueplay each time we de-link and regroup - so much so that i'm now skipping the Trueplay step which surely defeats the object of you spending months developing it!!!)

Come on Sonos, where are you on this??????
Userlevel 7
Badge +17
OK - sorry if this has been posted already, but my installer taught me a trick to do this. It is labor intensive to go back and forth, but it can be done. Instructions:
1. Remove Surrounds from your current home theater system (ex: Living Room)
2. The two rear surrounds now become stand alone speakers, named Living Room 2, and Living Room 3
3. Group Living Room, with Living Room 2, with Living Room 3
4. Done - 5 Channel Stereo

Now to go back to Surround:
1. Un-Group all of the Living Room speakers
2. You now have 2 rear stand alone speakers
3. Now, add surrounds, like you did when you first go the system, one at a time, follow the prompts
4. Done - you are back to surround sound

SONOS - why can't you make a single click function in the app that switches between surround and 5 speaker-stereo???

well detailed by Aman - agreed ! Just give us a button to toggle this (of course it would have to 'remember' the surround settings) - how hard can this be ?? Put it right between Night Mode and Speech enhancement.
Hi,
I experience the same problem and would really like to have a simplier solution than the one given by Aman.
Please Sonos try to satisfy your buyers by providing them a simple solution on the App.

Thx in advance
Another vote for this!!! PLEASE Sonos add this to the under consideration list and get it into Beta.

You've already given us the functionality to choose between ambient and full playback when playing music through the Sonos App. Surely it can't be that much harder to give us the same option when playing music through the TV or other external source. We can already achieve it by unlinking the surrounds and regrouping as a stereo pair (and then back again next time we want to watch TV). But that's way too clunky and manual for such a slick sophisticated system (and now you've made that method even more time consuming by prompting us to retune Trueplay each time we de-link and regroup - so much so that i'm now skipping the Trueplay step which surely defeats the object of you spending months developing it!!!)

Come on Sonos, where are you on this??????

Exactly what I'm thinking....
Me too but mainly when watching or listening to music channels on TV or music based smart TV content. There should be a 'music' button between 'speech enhancement' and 'night mode' that uses the 'full' or 'ambient' setting of the app

+1
YES! I would like to have a full stereo option when watching TV audio!
---
Sonos should focus a lot more on cutomer dialogue.
Userlevel 1
+1

Just added rear speakers - Im so disappointed... :(

Many TV-channels in Denmark have reverted to only send in 2.0 - so without this feature, Sonos as Surround is really pretty useless in Denmark.
Please consider this in the next update of the software. I would like to use my surrounds on a full playback mode with music for any source.
Userlevel 1
Badge
Push push push
I would also like to use my surrounds on a full playback mode with music for any source.
+111111111111
Yes, please add a stereo option for the surround sound speakers playing anything through the TV. I really love the surround sound through the play 1's but sometimes feel they are not being used to their full potential when listening to music etc on the TV. Come on Sonos, this would be a great addition to a great product......
Userlevel 1
Would also very much appreciate this. Please please please add a stereo option to surround sound. I frequently have guests over and this would make watching youtube videos and many TV channels such as sporting events a much more enjoyable experience. Additionally, I frequently hook my DJ controller to the playbar via optical. The sound coming out of the playbar and sub are great but the surround speakers clearly suffer and are not being utilized to their full potention.
Me to please. I often listen to music shows and had assumed that this was the benefit of a good set of speakers. I was amazed to realise I couldn't make use of it.
Dear SONOS, this seems like a basic functionality that would not take much effort to implement. Full stereo from the playbar + surrounds would really make your customers very happy. Something that would take you a couple of days to implement would go a long way to please your customers. Seems like a no brainer to me. Please work on this ASAP. Many many thanks.
Userlevel 1
FYI: I believe your competitor (D. H.) offers "DTS Neo:6 Cinema", "DTS Neo:6 Music", "Dolby Pro Logic II Music", and "Multi-Channel Stereo" on their new system...
Userlevel 5
Badge +12
This is a must have for me as well.

Only with this I can replace my denon x2100w avr with Sonos 5.1 hardware.

Please Sonos, this thread is 3 years old, I cannot believe in 3 years there was no time to develop this common feature.

Thank you
Thanks!

Setup stereo L&R and grouped with the playbase.
+11111 Would be great to be able to easily toggle between Full and Surround.
+1 Yes please, this would be a very useful feature. It is already an option for music playback. It would be great for TV playback as well. Especially for TV stations that do not support 5.1, meaning your surrounds are dead air.
+++++++1

Wow, just picked up a beam and a pair of Sonos One speakers for this exact use case. Shame on me for assuming this would be standard. My Play One speakers are right behind my couch, and barely make any noise while watching TV. I was hoping late nights I could turn the volume lower and listen to stereo TV audio from speakers behind me, so the volume wouldn't have to be so loud. Please add a toggle between "Full" and "Surround" so we can pick which output we want!
Userlevel 5
Badge +12
+++++++1

Wow, just picked up a beam and a pair of Sonos One speakers for this exact use case. Shame on me for assuming this would be standard. My Play One speakers are right behind my couch, and barely make any noise while watching TV. I was hoping late nights I could turn the volume lower and listen to stereo TV audio from speakers behind me, so the volume wouldn't have to be so loud. Please add a toggle between "Full" and "Surround" so we can pick which output we want!

This is exactly what I told Sonos guys, but... they seem not to care
And for music it is already working like this, it should not be a big issue to extend also to TV audio...
Badge
Me too but mainly when watching or listening to music channels on TV or music based smart TV content. There should be a 'music' button between 'speech enhancement' and 'night mode' that uses the 'full' or 'ambient' setting of the app

Please Sonos this is my number one complaint. At least I know I am not the only one.
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
Hi glances. I'm happy to pass along a request to the team for you so they know there's still interest in this sort of unconventional setup. Since the topic was first posted, there is one way to get this full stereo working for some systems. If you're playing your TV source from something capable of AirPlay 2, to a Sonos Beam or Playbase, you can instead use AirPlay 2 to send the audio to your Beam/Playbase and the rest of the speakers in that room.

AirPlay 2 signals are played as music and not TV content, so if you have the surround settings to play full audio with music, it'll give you the surround stereo.
Userlevel 5
Badge +12
Hi glances. I'm happy to pass along a request to the team for you so they know there's still interest in this sort of unconventional setup. Since the topic was first posted, there is one way to get this full stereo working for some systems. If you're playing your TV source from something capable of AirPlay 2, to a Sonos Beam or Playbase, you can instead use AirPlay 2 to send the audio to your Beam/Playbase and the rest of the speakers in that room.

AirPlay 2 signals are played as music and not TV content, so if you have the surround settings to play full audio with music, it'll give you the surround stereo.

I would not call it: "sort of unconventional setup" .
this setup is supported by any home theater setup in the market.
only Sonos does not support it.
Thank you for your time
Camillo