Answered

my roam wont charge

Despite being plugged in and sat on the charging base my roam speaker won’t charge. It’s now flat and unusable. 
I’ve also recently changed broadband providers so I can’t see it on my system either as I can’t add it to the wifi!

where do I start please?!  

icon

Best answer by buzz 16 April 2023, 13:57

View original

29 replies

Here are instructions how to recover after changing routers.

With respect to the battery issue, I suggest that you refrain from Factory Reset without further consult, however, there is another type of reset that may resolve your issue. Remove ROAM from the charger then press and hold the power button for 15 seconds. If your finger slips off the button, restart the 15 second interval. The ROAM should respond. Now place the unit back on the charger and fully charge the unit.

Also make sure that you are using a proper charger and  that the charger is functioning.

The reset operation solved everything!  After pressing the power button the unit came back to life with 100% battery life. And then I was able to add to my Wi-Fi 

thank you so much 😊😊

You’re welcome -- “Been there, done that … .”

My roam won’t turn on.  It has been sitting on its charging base.  No lights come on when I touch or hold the button down.

My Sonos Roam is dead.  I've charged using a 5.2 volt, 2.4 Amp usb connected to the charging pad that came with the unit. I've held the button for 15 seconds with no luck resetting.  I have no idea why this will not work.  Any suggestions are appreciated.

My Sonos Roam is dead.  I've charged using a 5.2 volt, 2.4 Amp usb connected to the charging pad that came with the unit. I've held the button for 15 seconds with no luck resetting.  I have no idea why this will not work.  Any suggestions are appreciated.

Can you perhaps post an image of the power-output shown on your charger/adapter - what you’ve posted isn’t the correct voltage output. Thanks. 

How would I post an image.  I see a link to post a URL, but not to upload an image.  Thanks

USB CHARGER #2 I USED

I also used Samsung Travel Adapter Model EP-TA200; input: 100-24-v - 50-6- hz  0.5 A

Output 9.0 V - 1.67A or 5.0 V - 2.0 A

Do you perhaps have a PD ‘certified’ charger - if so, it will charge the Roam at 5V x 3A = 15W - you will need a different USB cable however, as those certified power adapters are USB-C?

If not then you ideally need a charger that will do 5V x 2A/3A, which equals 10W - 15W power output. 

(Edit: Your Samsung travel adapter is perhaps the better bet, assuming it supports 5v x 2A, but it might just be a bit slower to charge the Roam). The Apple adapter is the wrong voltage.)

I also bought and tried a USB C Wall Charger Block 20W, 3-Pack Dual Port PD Power Delivery Fast Type C Charging Block Plug Adapter from Amazon with no luck.

Wouldn't the charging pad that came with the roam work with above PD USB charger?

The Qi charger pads are a little slow to charge, to say the least, around 5W, I believe, I think you might need to kick-start it with a USB-C connection, but it’s also not clear if using the Apple’s incorrect voltage charger might have caused your device to go into some kind of fault-state (perhaps?). I see you tried the ‘off the charger’ power-reset by holding the rear power button for 20s or so … note: it’s worth trying that reset a couple of times inbetween each 1 hour charge period to try to get the Roam going again.

If you do have a PD certified charger, then I’d certainly give that a go as I know one of its seven in-built voltage power-outputs is 5V @ 3A (15W) and that should (hopefully) get it going. You just need to use a USB-C to USB-C cable with those type of chargers, rather that USB-C to A that comes with the Roam.

If the issue persists however, then maybe go onto contact/chat with Sonos Support Staff via this LINK  and see what the Staff can perhaps suggest to resolve the matter. 

Hello, I ordered the USB-C to USB-C cable and used it with the PD charger.  The orange light came on.  When I checked it this morning, the orange light was still on.  No green light was evident.  I tried to power on, no luck.  I pushed the button on the back of the device for 30 seconds, no reset.  Not sure what else I can try locally.  Thank you very much for your assistance thus far.

Hello, I ordered the USB-C to USB-C cable and used it with the PD charger.  The orange light came on.  When I checked it this morning, the orange light was still on.  No green light was evident.  I tried to power on, no luck.  I pushed the button on the back of the device for 30 seconds, no reset.  Not sure what else I can try locally.  Thank you very much for your assistance thus far.

I suggest speaking to Sonos Support Staff - see link in my previous post. Hope you get it sorted.👍

Thanks for your help.  Have a great weekend.

I am so disappointed with my 2 Roam purchases. One has already been replaced, because it was defective and both are now useless, very expensive paperweights. After reading all of the complaints and issues with Roam speakers, it’s obvious that they are selling a defective product. While SONOS charges a premium for their products, they are a subpar company with unhelpful, snotty customer service representatives. Yes they offered 30% discounts, but why would I invest another dime for an expensive speaker that doesn’t last just beyond the warranty?

I am so disappointed with my 2 Roam purchases. One has already been replaced, because it was defective and both are now useless, very expensive paperweights. After reading all of the complaints and issues with Roam speakers, it’s obvious that they are selling a defective product. While SONOS charges a premium for their products, they are a subpar company with unhelpful, snotty customer service representatives. Yes they offered 30% discounts, but why would I invest another dime for an expensive speaker that doesn’t last just beyond the warranty?

I have two Roams still going strong here after 3+ years of use … you’re either really just unlucky, or something is going awry with your charging routine by the sounds of it. In my own case I often use a PD certified USB-C charger with an E-marker chipped cable to ensure the correct power output is delivered to either a Roam, or Move, or any similar rechargeable device.

Mostly though for the Roam, I leave it on charge on the Sonos Qi charger pad and I keep its li-ion battery topped up regularly. I never let those type of batteries stand empty for too long as they are controlling a computerised device and letting them drain out regularly, or stood empty for long periods, is not good for the battery cells apparently, but that applies to any device that uses those type of batteries. That said, it’s also good to drain them occasionally, so every few months I discharge them to around the 20% level and find I’m still getting an estimated 8+ hours of playback time from them when taken out and about in the camper van.

One thought here is, it might have been useful, with the 30% discount saved, to have considered extending the warranty period, but perhaps it’s too late for you in this instance, if you declined Sonos’ offer. Maybe try the power-button reset a number of times (that’s a 15+ sec. power-button press whilst off it’s charger - return to USB-C charger for an hour) - sometimes doing the power-reset repeatedly, can occasionally bring things back to life, but it depends on any damage that’s ‘perhaps’ been done already. You could always sell them on for spares or repair and recoup some of your loss that way.

Anyhow, as another user, I’m sorry to hear the Roam has not worked out for you, I find it a great little speaker personally and they are even better as a stereo pair, or when grouped, over WiFi.

My Roam speakers reside on the wireless chargers that came from SONOS… they have never run down to zero...

My Roam speakers reside on the wireless chargers that came from SONOS… they have never run down to zero...

Oh so it maybe wasn’t a battery issue then, but something else, perhaps?

Did you use the same charger throughout, or ever discover if it wasn’t conditioning the Roam’s battery over a period of time?..  You can sometimes see the speaker battery discharge/recharge, just a little, when it’s left on the Qi charger for a long period.

Of course it might be an intermittent issue with the charger (or speaker) too, in your case, but I presume these things are not clear at this stage, plus any mass-produced electrical device can fail in a variety of different ways too, I guess. I personally like to extend the warranty cover period for that reason, but that’s moreso on any expensive electrical items in use around the Home.

And it really is important as to what you plug into the wall. The Roam can sit all day on the charger, but if the charger isn’t receiving the correct voltage/amperage to the Qi charger, it doesn’t actually help, and the Roam will indeed eventually fully discharge.

I actually had the USB end come out of my charger, and I didn’t notice that the Sonos wasn’t charging at all. It was only when it went flat that I realized that the cable had come loose, and it took several hours to fully recharge while sitting on the Qi charger. It took about 10 minutes or maybe more for the Sonos Roam to get enough charge to be recognized by the controller app. I could have sped that up by connecting the USB C connection, but it wasn’t convenient. USB C direct connection will always be faster than a Qi charger. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +15

@mscoughlan , try contacting Sonos support again.  There are hundreds and hundreds of reports here about the same problem.  Do a search and you will see a theme….  There is clearly an issue with Roam battery/charging circuitry/charging ‘logic’.  My Roam still seems OK but doesn’t get too much use.  I tend to charge it, use it and then power it down - it’s never left for long periods plugged in as I simply don’t trust it to last if left plugged in on a ‘trickle’ charge.

Sonos don’t appear to have a clear way to progress the issue and it seems random (and sometimes based on manufactured date) as to whether they replace the Roam free of charge or try to fob the user off with a 30% discount on a replacement.  As I said above, contact them again and mention how many other users get replacements instead of a 30% voucher.  Again, many examples in this forum.

Unlike batteries of old, li-ion don’t need anything like the same ‘care’ as they used to - and Sonos make no mention of special care either.  If it was needed, for sure they would say.

You, and most others, just use the chargers that came with your Roam yet are having the same issue as all the others.

Many seemed to have accepted at least there’s something not quite right with Roam but some here will think it’s almost any possible other thing than an inherent issue with Roam.  I just go with Occam’s Razor, usually the most obvious thing is the problem.

Ken may have has a pre-production/beta model maybe as he’s had it a lot longer than they’ve been available to the public.

@sjw,

Not a beta model at all, but wouldn’t such ‘beta’ devices not be internal only and returned by the Staff to Sonos in any event? I do not work for Sonos (never have - I’m retired and live in the U.K.) …unless you maybe class pre-ordered items as beta?

The Wife Jane and I have had our Roams since they were first launched, in fact they were purchased by our daughter and her husband as a gift for our Anniversay in March 2021 and were for use in our camper van, but as far as I’m aware there’s never been another version of the Roam since then anyway. I’ve not ever heard of any changes to the Roam mentioned here in the community.

Userlevel 7
Badge +15

No, I didn’t mean pre-order, I meant you may have had them as part of the official pre-release.  Sonos does ‘give’ hardware to users to test in advance and it often does not need to be returned.  That is what I thought may have happened as your 3 years plus of ownership is before they were even announced to the public, never mind released.

No, I didn’t mean pre-order, I meant you may have had them as part of the official pre-release.  Sonos does ‘give’ hardware to users to test in advance and it often does not need to be returned.  That is what I thought may have happened as your 3 years plus of ownership is before they were even announced to the public, never mind released.

Ah well it’s 3 years - (minus) then, rather than + (plus).

I thought it was a little longer when I typed that post and put the ‘+’ (plus), but my Wife has now reminded me that Jenny and her husband got them for our wedding anniversary, rather than as a Christmas present in December 2020.. which was my initial thinking… sorry🙏that’s just my mistaken memory. It’s an age thing.