Privacy statement concern

• 19 August 2017
  • 87 replies

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

87 replies

Is your system not already registered so as to allow streaming services?
Userlevel 1
Badge
Indeed, an official response and clarification would be most welcome. I hope my interpretation is wrong to be honest because I love the products and the value delivered (even though I do keep eyeing up ($$$) the Naim Uniti range!)

I tend to get grumpy when a corporate looks like it is loosing sight of the fact that it's the customers that pay their wages. I also get grumpy when collection of personal data is dressed up as "only being done to improve our services to you", which always comes over as complete b/s and they never provide a total opt out option.
I doubt very much that there is any intention or threat to disable your speakers. You have assumed that and used language like 'blackmail' on the basis of your almost certainly misguided interpretation. We had better all wait for an official response to your post, I think.
Userlevel 1
Badge
...and a location. Just because you are happy to pass over information doesn't mean everyone is or that they are happy with being coerced into doing so. You are entitled to your view as am I. I am fully aware of the need to provide data in the modern world. Normally the option is there to either opt out, use a burner address or select an alternate service provider. I think you are missing the point - which is that in this instance information (no matter how innocuous) is being asked for retrospectively and with an explicit threat of interference with the function of my property. Could an update brick the product - sure but then they go out of business if they don't fix it. Could they ask for more detailed information in the future - nothing to stop them. This is about point of principle in a connected world. If Spotify stop streaming, I stop paying, fine. If Sonos decide to link functionality to compliance where does it stop? There are many that mindlessly travel through the connected world (until something like a casual post or someones Instagram shot bites you in the a@@), I prefer to still think about what goes on.
I think this probably involves giving an email address. Which you could set up for this specific purpose. If that troubles you, be prepared for a difficult time in every aspect of your life in the modern world.
I don't think this is even a change from the current situation but I am not sufficiently bothered to check.
Userlevel 1
Badge
Quote....."You must register your Sonos Products, in order for them to work."
that seems pretty clear?
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Where does it say that?