Privacy statement concern

• 19 August 2017
  • 87 replies

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

87 replies

I don't really care that much if Sonos knows that I called a zone 'bathroom' and I like to listen to Weird Al Yankovic in there.

Thank God there's no taste-police. :8

Apart from Weird Al, parts of what you described is already being collected by Sonos. You can review the collected data in the 'My data' section of your Sonos user profile.
Actually it's just missing the track titles and respective zone player room names for played titles, but that's what changes in privacy polices are made for, I guess?!
I can't update at the moment, but I will when I get home. I will also then check the settings to see what options there are to opt out of data collection. Like I said though, I'm not concerned.
You should go update,. You must confirm agreement with the privacy policy as a whole, no option to decline, no option to decline specific data collection you want to opt out of.

So you are really gonna call this fake news? Come on man get real.

I'm not going to blindly believe the news article when a staff member says otherwise. I'm honestly taking more of a wait and see approach. We will know when it comes out. But as I said, the worse case scenario is probably ok with me anyway.

They are going against what is considered good policy when it comes to customer privacy.

Maybe. If the news article is true, then yes. If the staffer on here is true, then no.

Just click yes and give them access to your living room, bedroom, bathroom, kids room and continue, I'm sure it will be fine. I'm gonna put my tinfoil hat on and wait this out.

'Access'? What does that even mean? I don't really care that much if Sonos knows that I called a zone 'bathroom' and I like to listen to Weird Al Yankovic in there.
I really don't trust news articles that much anymore. Particularly when the source is an unnamed spokesperson. We have a named spokesperson on this thread.

But if you think about it, this shouldn't be too big of a deal. They are going to add new features that are going to require more user data. Eventually, features could be updated so that you don't get much out of the speakers if you aren't ok with the privacy policy. However, Sonos isn't stupid. If customers are not comfortable with the privacy policy, if it's going to effect sales, then they are going to setup options that work for the customer.

Personally, I get why people are concerned, but I just don't see how people could harm me in anyway with the information they are gathering.

So you are really gonna call this fake news? Come on man get real.

They are going against what is considered good policy when it comes to customer privacy.

Just click yes and give them access to your living room, bedroom, bathroom, kids room and continue, I'm sure it will be fine. I'm gonna put my tinfoil hat on and wait this out.
I really don't trust news articles that much anymore. Particularly when the source is an unnamed spokesperson. We have a named spokesperson on this thread.

But if you think about it, this shouldn't be too big of a deal. They are going to add new features that are going to require more user data. Eventually, features could be updated so that you don't get much out of the speakers if you aren't ok with the privacy policy. However, Sonos isn't stupid. If customers are not comfortable with the privacy policy, if it's going to effect sales, then they are going to setup options that work for the customer.

Personally, I get why people are concerned, but I just don't see how people could harm me in anyway with the information they are gathering.
Everybody should read the article linked by beynym.

But if you are short on time, to paraphrase some of the tweets I've been reading about the article:

Tl;dr Sonos tells users to accept massive private data collection or your expensive speakers will stop working.
No, Sonos will not disable your products.
http://www.zdnet.com/article/sonos-accept-new-privacy-policy-speakers-cease-to-function/

WTF Wow just wow. Will be watching this closely.

The article seemingly contradicts the comments from sonos defenders and employees.

No granular opt out options + no updates without accepting giving away our privacy to Sonos is insidious.
Userlevel 7
Badge +18
No, Sonos will not disable your products.
http://www.zdnet.com/article/sonos-accept-new-privacy-policy-speakers-cease-to-function/
Userlevel 7
Badge +17
I thought people with Play5s would be more worried about sonos recording everything you say for 20 seconds whilst it waits for a "wake up" word, wonder if Mi5 has a special wake up word ;O))
Indeed, thank you Max, for your patience.
Userlevel 1
Badge
Thank you....
Userlevel 6
Badge +3
Didn't ANSWER THE EARLIER QUESTION...I'd like to hear it direct from Sonos - will existing users be REQUIRED to provide additional information if it is not already lodged with Sonos OR ELSE Sonos will disable your products? To which I add why do you need location data?

No, Sonos will not disable your products. In short, the new privacy statement is the same as the old statement. What changed is the additional data usage option that is optional.
So are the Voice and Trueplay options.

Yes, of course, got that....so location will only be needed down to Country not zip/postcode?

Like Stuart mentioned, the country is required to show the available music services. The zip/postcode is for TuneIn Radio allowing it to show the local Internet Radio stations near you.
Userlevel 1
Badge
Yes, of course, got that....so location will only be needed down to Country not zip/postcode?
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Location data is required because music services are available by country/territory
If you require an answer from Sonos perhaps you should contact Sonos directly rather than post on the community forum. It appears nobody shares your concern.
Userlevel 1
Badge
Didn't ANSWER THE EARLIER QUESTION...I'd like to hear it direct from Sonos - will existing users be REQUIRED to provide additional information if it is not already lodged with Sonos OR ELSE Sonos will disable your products? To which I add why do you need location data?
Userlevel 6
Badge +3
Hello, Everyone.

We understand that you, of course, have questions about this topic, so we’d like to shine some light on it.

Sonos collects your registration information, location data, as well as usage data; for instance, performance and activity information.

Sonos uses the data we collect for the following purposes:
  • Product Improvement
  • Future Product Development
  • Customer Support
  • Security, Safety, and Dispute Resolution
  • Product Performance Analysis

Also, we have a blog post about Sonos Privacy Statement.

If you have any further questions please feel free to reach out.
I believe that @jgatie is correct, and that in fact you will not have to provide any further information and there isn't the remotest possibility of anybody's speakers being disabled. IMO this is a complete non-problem
@jimdery, I don't think you'll have to worry about, but if you are concerned get in touch with the Sonos Support on Twitter.
Userlevel 1
Badge
Melvimbe - Interesting point about ownership. Spot on I own the hardware but do you where does the law stand regarding the embedded software at the time of purchase or any upgrades? Surely there should be a reasonable assumption on the part of the consumer that the basic functionality provided "out of the box" would remain available (on the the same basis as at the time of original purchase) regardless? I recognise that additional and third party services would be a separate issue. And yes, I do know that I have given up some info already and will end up having to provide whatever they ask for but, as I said in an earlier post, it is a matter of principle.
All Sonos systems are already registered to your accounton initial setup. It's how they get diagnostics, geolocate service availability, and how you post to this forum. If the Sonos goons weren't pounding on your door in the past, I doubt they will in the future.
I doubt you're going to get an official response on this thread, other then a link back to the privacy statement itself. It looks to me like they explain in great details what 'register' means.

As far as there being a legal issue with a company changing the privacy policy on an existing product, I doubt there would be a real case. Legally, I would think that you've paid for the hardware. You can do with it what you wish. Sonos provides a separately available service.that the hardware works with. There is no obligation to provide the service with a set privacy policy for any period of time. Of course, they would go out of business if they stopped providing services or came up with an utterly ridiculous policy.

I went and looked at the information I had already provided to Sonos, and I can't see that they're asking for anything that I had not already provided to them. There are option available them to collect usage data. Under registration, my setup only shows the software, but none of the products...although Sonos clearly has that information available.

OP, I'd be surprised if you were not already registered, whether you remembered doing it or not.. In fact, I would be surprised if the account you're using to post here isn't the registration itself.

As an aside, for months now, we've heard that Sonos isn't think about customers in the supposed delay in voice control. Now, with an updated privacy policy due to voice control, we hear a complaint about Sonos not thinking about customers.
Userlevel 1
Badge
I beg to differ - the "You must register your Sonos Products, in order for them to work." statement isn't explicitly linked to voice control as far as I can tell. It actually appears in a section that suggests it is part of initial post-purchase actions.

In fact in FAQ...quote "Can I use Sonos without registering? No. For your Sonos Product to work, it must be registered." Pretty clear I'd say.

I'd like to hear it direct from Sonos - will existing users be REQUIRED to provide additional information if it is not already lodged with Sonos OR ELSE Sonos will disable your products?
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
It's only saying you require registration in order for the VOICE CONTROL to work. Your functionality as it is now will continue to work as it is if you choose not to register.