Answered

Unable to play X - and the song is not encoded correctly

• 18 January 2021
  • 61 replies

I was getting this error from time to time, but now I'm getting it on 3/4 of songs... Seems random, as sometimes a song that was working fine would refuse to play and start showing this error (or vice versa). 

My music source is YouTube Music. I've tried rebooting the speaker, reinstalling te app, rebooting the Wi-Fi router, etc. Also tried using an ethernet cable instead of Wi-Fi. Nothing seems to work. 

Diagnostic number : 1167656549

Screenshot :

Thanks in advance! 

icon

Best answer by Airgetlam 12 February 2021, 20:13

View original

61 replies

Same problem with any XM channel.  But Funny….no problem with Sonos Radio channel….

hmmmmmm

Badge

I’d have to concur. It’s unfortunate that most routers do not have a better facility to point out the issue. 

Thats all very well but not everyone is an IT expert.  Some of us are simply customers of SONOS endeavouring to use their products purchased in good faith.  I have no idea how to "PING" an IP address to the router.  

For some reason SONOS, out of the blue,  indicate that tracks on our playlists are not encoded correctly. 

I'd much prefer to receive proactive emails from them indicating there are apparent issues and suggesting fix's, in layman's terms, rather than emails trying to sell me something every two minutes.

Same problem îm running out of patience with Sonos product

I am not technically educated to delve into the areas discussed here.  My system has progressively degenerated over the years to the point where I wished I just connected my phone to Sonos like I do to my car’s sound system.  I can no longer listen to radio episodes nor shows. Sonos don’t have staff available at weekends to discuss.  Seems to me their entire systems are too fragile for 2022 when electronics are becoming ever more easy to operate and intuitive. Sonos have my contact detail should they wish to persuade me otherwise.  If they fix it, I’ll post again. Silence suggests they can’t be bothered. 

I totally agreed… SONOS sucks

Having this similar issue in the past 10 days.  

Local files are playing fine, but my vast music library sits in Subsonic & now is saying all files are not encoded correctly.  All Files...MP3, M4a, FLAC…..Nothing is playing through my Subsonic library.

The same folder accessed locally is fine.  

Very weird & frustrating.  Any suggestions????

The same thing happening here using Apple Music.  Very disappointing with Sonos constantly having to figure out what the H is wrong before enjoying our over $800 worth of Sonos speakers here at home.  Having to mess with this so often does not impress family and friends.

Recall and reimburse all of us attempting to enjoy and be entertained.

Sonos - Fix this Shi……!

I love paying thousands for a Sonos sound system that I cannot use. Its just wonderful.

If only you’d supplied any details that might help people try to assist you, or even submitted a diagnostic, and called Sonos support, who could look at the hard data there and provide some guidance….

In general, there’s two potential reasons for this.

First is the simple fact that the source file doesn’t match the the supported audio formats.

Second is some sort of issue with the speaker getting clean data from the server. That could be issues in the internet, issues with your local LAN(WiFi), etc. This is why a diagnostic and a discussion with those who have access to your diagnostic could really help identify what the issue might be. 

I’m pretty sure just posting a generic complaint on a forum won’t fix your Sonos system, although it may make you feel better. 

Is there any way I can access the logs myself?

I get this intermittent error with the “encoding” of a song from YT that usually plays fine, so the error message is most likely bs. I can play other tracks when I get this error, and when I try again the next day it usually works again.

I get it as well, but with the following services.

1. Sonos Radio - Seems more odd that this is in the list here.
  2. Amazon music