Skip to main content
Answered

Sonos Ray optical connection stopped working, any ideas?

Hi, I was using Sonos Ray as computer speakers via soundcard with digital optical output. Everything worked fine until few days ago when Ray no more sees the digital input. The app TV Setup says No signal detected. The digital input works otherwise OK with another device instead Ray.

I have spent almost entire day on the Sonos help line, but in the end they told me they never intended Ray to be used with PC and that it is my problem I bought it and that maybe they changed something so now it doesnt work. This is actually not true, they mention usage with PC on their website: “For a next-level gaming setup, connect your PC.” on https://www.sonos.com/en/shop/ray

Do you have any ideas how to possibly fix this without the Sonos helpline help?

What I tried already:
 - factory reset the Ray
 - connect the optical cable to another device - it works
 - reinstall sound card
 - play music on ray through wifi - it works
 - play test sound from the sound output properties in windows - only Dolby Digital works, it plays nevertheless TV Setup (even during the playing) in Sonos app says there is No signal detected, other Encoded formats dont play anything

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

64 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge

Works perfect with that Amazon part.  Back pre software update.    I’m very happy again 

My Playbar works on the TV but will not connect to other speakers in the system to get surround sound. The Ray doesn’t even work on the other TV at all anymore. This is ridiculous. 

@Meyers1601 
Thanks! I can confirm that the ADC you does work for getting audio to work on the Ray.

It definitely was the most recent update. It was working fine for me until a couple of days ago when I opened the app to ungroup speakers (the only time I use it) and was forced to do the update.

I have bought in the past 2 ADC converters and only the one with PCM and a bitrate of 48khz or higher will still work with Sonos. The one with a lower bitrate wil not work anymore. This item works:
https://a.aliexpress.com/_EQsImvd

I can confirm that this A to D converter works like a charm and finally solved it for me! It’s also available on Amazon in case you dont won’t to buy through AliExpress:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B09YCQG9JV

I had the same problem with a Ray connected to a Mac Studio via an usb c to optical convertor. There was an update today (79.1-54060), and it is working again as before!

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

Yes, can confirm, fixed for me too!

My version now: 80.03.04-release+20240618.cd11093

Will still take some time before I trust Sonos again though...

Userlevel 1
Badge

@Rudi vo 

@SmallhillCZ 

Encouraged by your seemingly good news I tried it yesterday with my Beam - but failed.

What did you do? Only using the new app version or any additional reset?

I can confirm. My Ray with USB-C adapter started working again after the latest update.

@HPU

I just installed the update on my iPhone, it took a long time, al my Sonos devices updated, and then it worked again. Make sure your Sonos devices are on version (79.1-54060). If not search for updates in the app.

I cannot get my ray to connect to my phone or my tv I have tried master reset tried restarting the router my tv doesn’t have optical port and and the ray doesn’t have hdmi port so Bluetooth is my only option any ideas?

Hello all, has there been any further updates to this issue ? I work away from home and have just returned to find the Ray optical input, is still not working 😡😡😡… TX 

Im having the issue now too! Just started 2 days ago. Any updates from folks that got it working again?

Userlevel 1
Badge

Read ChrisSchan’s posts in

and

No joy ?