Sonos Arc loud pop then audio loss

Show first post

1200 replies

Apparently Sony dropped a beta update today for the PS5 to enable Dolby Atmos for games. Anyone have access to the beta and has been able to test if the popping issue is prevalent on the PS5? 

Will definitely try once I have access to the beta. PS5 doesn’t have Dolby Vision (should that be involved in the Dolby Atmos pop), but will be eager to test regardless. 

I believe they’re using Atmos to power their 3D Audio. If it’s not MAT format we won’t see any issues. I’m hoping for the best because I’d love to use my PS5 with Atmos when Spider-Man 2 arrives

Agreed. 

Hello,

Just experienced this exact issue on my Arc while streaming from an external device. Loud startling pop, audio cuts out. After disconnecting power and reconnecting, audio did come back.

My unit is less than 2 weeks old, so I can say the hardware does not appear to be updated. I’m definitely concerned about this issue coming up again as it did for @Derry Brewer  and the damage it could cause to the sound bar and audio quality.

I concur with the previous post, this is extremely disappointing. After spending $1500 on the arc + sub, I should not have to be waiting with concern for this issue to happen again. This is my first Sonos product, so I can’t speak for other ones, but I’m not impressed and can’t see getting another Sonos product after this type of failure. 

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

The same has been happening to me about 8 to 12 times over the last couple of months. The first two times it happened I thought one of my devices had exploded in my living room.

I would add some more aspects to this:

• I’m not using an Xbox, it happens for me while using my Windows 10 Gaming PC which is configured for Dolby Atmos (showing as Multichannel PCM 7.1 on Sonos). It happens both in-game (5.1 or 7.1) and when using YouTube (Stereo).
  • I think it has happened once with my Apple TV 4K (not 100% sure though).
  • Most of the time the loud noise came from the Sonos Arc, but once it came from my right surround which is a Sonos One. Felt like someone fired a gun next to my head. :-(
  • When I do nothing it recovers after a few minutes but usually happens again shortly after.  

It happened twice on Monday, I took diagnostics 538921711 and 889378457 immediatly after that. Power cycled the Arc after the second time and it didn’t happen again after that.

I will also open a support case, just wanted to add this to the discussion.

Userlevel 6
Badge +16

Hi @Logan G, Thanks for reaching out, and welcome to the community. Sorry to know that you have the same issue with @Derry Brewer. So that we can check if we can see anything wrong with your Sonos system, please submit a diagnostic and respond with the confirmation number. This way we can identify the cause of this issue and provide feedback. If we can’t detect the issue, then we’ll take it further. 

Please, feel free to let me know if you require any further information. We’re always here to help

Badge +1

I’ve email the CEO Patrick Spence about this and one of the senior technicians is looking at it. I e sent them a video of the loud pop so hopefully will get somewhere with it. 

Way to go! Hopefully you’ll get a response and all of us suffering from this bug will get a fix. So incredibly annoying.

Just experienced two pops today for the first time, have had my Arc+One+OneSL for a few years. I thought it was a bird hitting the window until the second one.

The biggest change, recently moved to an LG C3 from a Samsung Q9FN. Since getting the C3 we used the webos apps, but I realized this week a bunch of the LG streaming apps don't offer Atmos but on Xbox they do. Started using Xbox Series X again, got two pops today, both while navigating around.

Definitely had Atmos working on the 2018 Samsung at times (not earc or full hdmi 2.1) so it seems to be some combo of the earc/LG, Xbox, and Sonos for me, and potentially while pressing universal remote buttons to navigate UI.

In my book, it still points to the issue as mainly involving the multi-channel LPCM (container) format where the Atmos metadata is sent alongside the lossless audio stream - so my money is still on the Atmos metadata falling out of sync with the stream and sometimes creating that noise, which you describe as ‘a bird hitting a window’. Maybe it’s devices en-route like the TV and/or cables causing this anomaly too, as clearly it doesn’t happen for everyone and it explains why some users may find solutions when changing a cable or introduce an audio extractor into the path and bypass their TV etc.

I don’t personally use LPCM for Atmos playback, as I don’t have the hardware that supports it and so far I’ve not heard the noise and that’s with an LG TV too, albeit the older C9 TV.

I also had the same issue occur just now. Upon starting the Xbox Series X, there was a very loud pop sound and then no audio would come from the Arc. I switched inputs to my cable box and the sound was now coming through the Arc. When I switched back to the Xbox, the sound worked again.

I submitted a diagnostics report to make sure there was no damage to the speakers: 43849977

For reference. I’m using the Arc via eARC output from my LG CX 55” TV with the Sonos supplied HDMI cable. Likewise my Xbox is connected via the Microsoft supplied HDMI cable.

Userlevel 4
Badge +3

Adding my identical experience to this thread. 

Sonos Arc. Xbox Series X with Dolby Atmos selected. CEC disabled. LGC1 utilizing eArc.

Loud pop (like a gunshot) whenever I leave a game running Dolby Atmos and return to the Xbox dashboard. Horrifying every time. 

Grateful for RC12’s advocacy on this thread.

C’mon Sonos.

Cleary, you have identical hardware and setup to me.  If you disable “Dolby Vision” and “Dolby Vision for gaming” on your Series X.  Do you get the pop? 

Update: turned off Dolby Vision on my Xbox Series X and played a couple hours with frequent jumps back to the dashboard. No gunshot pop sound as of yet!…

Xbox Series X in 4K/120fps mode with VRR. Both CEC and Dolby Vision are disabled. Dolby Atmos back on. Sonos Arc and Sonos Sub (Gen 3). LG C1 with Sonos Arc on eARC, Pass Through, Bitstream. SIMPLINK-CEC on LG C1 set to On,

Total conjecture: does some credence to the idea that the Xbox with 4K 120fps VRR Dolby vision is hitting the LGC1’s 40 gbps HDMI 2.1 with the Dolby MAT encoding on Dolby Atmos. Maybe?

Will keep testing (ie gaming for science)

Glad to hear, figured it was worth trying seeing that you have identical hardware to me and get the pop in the exact same scenario I do.  

Certainly leads to some interesting theories as to why the particular hardware configuration behaves once Dolby vision is removed.  Does anybody have the pop on a LG C2 or C3?  To expand clearys theroy, those TVs have 48 gbps ports while the C1 only has 40 gbps.  The configuration above 4K/120 10 bit colour literally consumes all 40 gbps (actually more seeing DV is 12 bit colour, tunneled back to 10 bit)

Ive also never tested with 4K/60hz and DV on.  But kinda scared to make changes now that it is behaving

I also had the same issue occur just now. Upon starting the Xbox Series X, there was a very loud pop sound and then no audio would come from the Arc. I switched inputs to my cable box and the sound was now coming through the Arc. When I switched back to the Xbox, the sound worked again.

I submitted a diagnostics report to make sure there was no damage to the speakers: 43849977

For reference. I’m using the Arc via eARC output from my LG CX 55” TV with the Sonos supplied HDMI cable. Likewise my Xbox is connected via the Microsoft supplied HDMI cable.

To get feedback on your diagnostic report submission you are perhaps best to contact/chat with Sonos Support Staff via this LINK

Userlevel 4
Badge +3

@ProfessorFrag i have no issue when my Xbox series X outputting 4k 60hz VRR with atmos sound . The only time happens is when outputting 4k120hz VRR with atmos sound . I have switched a couple HDMI cable but still the same . I also notice when playing in 4k120hz VRR Amy tv screen will occasionally has some white artifacts flashing on the screen but once I switched back to 4k60hz then everything is normal . My TV is Sony A90J Oled and yes it does support 4k120hz mode. PS5 runs absolutely fine tho in 120hz VRR

The first thing that immediately jumps out there is that the Xbox uses a completely different signaling technology for HDMI 2.1 bandwidth settings.  When you are using 4K/120 the Xbox signals using FRL (Fixed rate link).  When back on 4k60 VRR you are still within the HDMI 2.0 bandwidth standard so it uses the old technology of TMDS (I believe).  Could be something there about using hdmi 2.1 features 

Userlevel 2
Badge

I have the problem since March 2022. And I tried all the things called here. All without success.

Finally I read that you should turn off trueplay and then run Dolby Atmos MAT. I wanted to try that next.

I actually wonder if this is a thing. I hadn’t had a single issue until sometime after I tuned my system using TruePlay. Doubtful, but worth a try. 

I just tried it with Forza Horizon 5 and it popped within 5 seconds. 

Failed experiment. 

I don't know what else to try. Maybe it's just a hardware defect that Sonos doesn't want to admit…

Userlevel 3
Badge

Any luck with the new Sonos update today? 

I’m having exactly the same issue with my Arc+Sub(3)+2OneSLs, connected to a 2020 Samsung TV through 2.1HDMI with eARC. Will randomly produce a loud pop and then lose all audio from the Xbox Series X.

I have produced a diagnostics: 220748993.

Userlevel 6
Badge +5

Hi Everyone

If any of you are able to reproduce one of these “popping” events more or less at will, please help us by getting in touch with our technical support team, as we’re looking for more information on this matter. It does seem to occur most often - but is definitely not limited to - when an audio stream starts/stops or changes from one to another or , e.g. going from a playing movie to a menu, rather than when something is playing uninterrupted. We need some additional testers to assist us in getting a direct recording of the feed from an affected unit, as it happens.

This is somewhat outside of our normal case handling procedures, so if/when you have a support case, please reference this thread to the agent you speak to, and ask the agent to message me, Corry P, the case details so I can get you in touch with an engineer directly.

Thank you.

I have followed your instructions and reached out to support. At first support told me the problem was specific to my TV and to turn off eARC. After some talking, I managed to convince him that I am supposed to reach out. I’m posting here just to make sure it really gets to you.

I can get a high confidence pop within 30 minutes. If I could have an hour of devmode, I would be willing to sit there and see how many pops/timestamps I can generate for you without an engineer on the phone.

Userlevel 3
Badge

Adding my identical experience to this thread. 

Sonos Arc. Xbox Series X with Dolby Atmos selected. CEC disabled. LGC1 utilizing eArc.

Loud pop (like a gunshot) whenever I leave a game running Dolby Atmos and return to the Xbox dashboard. Horrifying every time. 

Grateful for RC12’s advocacy on this thread.

C’mon Sonos.

Cleary, you have identical hardware and setup to me.  If you disable “Dolby Vision” and “Dolby Vision for gaming” on your Series X.  Do you get the pop? 

Update: turned off Dolby Vision on my Xbox Series X and played a couple hours with frequent jumps back to the dashboard. No gunshot pop sound as of yet!…

Xbox Series X in 4K/120fps mode with VRR. Both CEC and Dolby Vision are disabled. Dolby Atmos back on. Sonos Arc and Sonos Sub (Gen 3). LG C1 with Sonos Arc on eARC, Pass Through, Bitstream. SIMPLINK-CEC on LG C1 set to On,

Total conjecture: does some credence to the idea that the Xbox with 4K 120fps VRR Dolby vision is hitting the LGC1’s 40 gbps HDMI 2.1 with the Dolby MAT encoding on Dolby Atmos. Maybe?

Will keep testing (ie gaming for science)

Glad to hear, figured it was worth trying seeing that you have identical hardware to me and get the pop in the exact same scenario I do.  

Certainly leads to some interesting theories as to why the particular hardware configuration behaves once Dolby vision is removed.  Does anybody have the pop on a LG C2 or C3?  To expand clearys theroy, those TVs have 48 gbps ports while the C1 only has 40 gbps.  The configuration above 4K/120 10 bit colour literally consumes all 40 gbps (actually more seeing DV is 12 bit colour, tunneled back to 10 bit)

Ive also never tested with 4K/60hz and DV on.  But kinda scared to make changes now that it is behaving

I was actually wondering the same thing. I would love to know if people with TV’s that have full bandwidth (48gbps) HDMI 2.1 are experiencing popping issues when using Atmos on XSX or ATV. 

Userlevel 3
Badge +2

Any luck with the new Sonos update today? 

If @Paul Tsang ‘s conversation with support is anything to go off of, it’s probably going to be a few more patch cycles before we can expect to really see anything at all.

For what it’s worth, current notes are just “bug fixes and enhancements”.

https://support.sonos.com/en-us/article/release-notes-for-sonos-s2

I’m having exactly the same issue with my Arc+Sub(3)+2OneSLs, connected to a 2020 Samsung TV through 2.1HDMI with eARC. Will randomly produce a loud pop and then lose all audio from the Xbox Series X.

I have produced a diagnostics: 220748993.

As stated above, to get any feedback on your diagnostic report submission you are perhaps best to contact/chat with Sonos Support Staff via this LINK

Userlevel 1
Badge

Following on from my last post- it just happened again playing Dolby Atmos from the Disney+ app on a 4K Apple TV.

Submitted a diagnostic - 1763217727

Haven’t spoken to anyone in support as it's out of hours but I’ll try to get hold of someone next week.

Userlevel 4
Badge +3

I have the problem since March 2022. And I tried all the things called here. All without success.

Finally I read that you should turn off trueplay and then run Dolby Atmos MAT. I wanted to try that next.

I actually wonder if this is a thing. I hadn’t had a single issue until sometime after I tuned my system using TruePlay. Doubtful, but worth a try. 

I just tried it with Forza Horizon 5 and it popped within 5 seconds. 

Failed experiment. 

I don't know what else to try. Maybe it's just a hardware defect that Sonos doesn't want to admit…

I’m not even sure. All I know is I need a fix that involves Sonos and no others because this is their issue. I don’t need to hear them blame others when the only common denominator is Atmos on Sonos. 

As above 

this just happened again  -

Loud bang - this time all audio was lost for 5 minutes after rebooting - 

LG tv 55 inch - 2019 

No response from Sonos yet

another diagnostic report submitted

Sonos please Advise

thanks

Userlevel 2

The update hasn’t fixed anything for me

my sound still drops for half a second every 20 seconds or so, sometimes it's better, sometimes it's worse, and same with the popping sound

I also factory reset the whole thing after the update to make sure it’s all fresh

this is my setup:

I'm using a Chromecast with Google TV 4K, and a BenQ TK700 projector

---------------------------------
Sonos Arc: Living Room
Sonos OS: S2
Version: 15.10 (build 76247142)
Hardware Version: 1.27.1.11-2.2
Series ID: A102
IP Address: 192.168.1.227
Audio In: Silence
WM: 1
Play:1: Living Room (LS)
Hardware Version: 1.8.3.7-2.0
Series ID: A101
IP Address: 192.168.1.225
WM: 2
OTP:
Play:1: Living Room (RS)
Hardware Version: 1.8.3.7-2.0
Series ID: A101
IP Address: 192.168.1.97
OTP:
Sub: Sub
Hardware Version: 1.32.1.7-2.1
Series ID: A202
IP Address: 192.168.1.226

Userlevel 1
Badge

I experienced this issue last Friday for the first time since owning the Arc watching Shang-Chi on Disney+ on an Apple TV 4K – Atmos enabled.

Attempted Snowpiercer on Netflix, same result after about 8 minutes.

After upgrading to 13.4 last night; let both run through as I worked downstairs and checked periodically to see if the audio had dropped. After a full viewing on both, no issue.

Not sure if 13.4 fixed the issue from Apple TV but it did get me digging further. Not sure if it’s been mentioned in this thread already but the common factor between Atmos on Apple TV and Xbox Series X is that they both use Dolby MAT.

(After that first failure, I tried my TV’s native Disney+ app and a Ultra HD Blu-Ray, both worked without failure, which are DD+ and Dolby TrueHD, respectively). 

That’s interesting about Dolby MAT, and whether 13.4 might have fixed it for Apple TV.

I’ve ruined any chance of being able to confirm that as last night I added a Dr HDMI 4K between the Apple TV and my Sony TV and updated both Sonos and the Apple TV. No chance of a baseline now!

Fingers crossed I’ve had the last “pop”.

Userlevel 1
Badge +3

The compressed audio option is for Sonos products that use line in, not HDMI like Beam and Arc. Don’t get me wrong, I’ll test it when I have time. But it shouldn’t do anything on Arc since Arc doesn’t have a line in. 

As for the Dolby Vision discussion, please keep in mind that pops happen on the Xbox even if DV is turned off. Turning off DV is not a solution for Xbox. 

Thanks for pointing out. However my results are:

I’ve been playing HALO INFINITE for an hour by now and no issue happened. I have DV and DA enabled so far good results.

DV doesn’t have any relation with audio. I played yesterday night with DV de activated and no issue as well

Note: issue happened around 5 or 10 min after initiate a Xbox game

I’ve been getting the loud pop daily for the last two weeks. All with the XBOX Series X. I want a new ARC this is BS

My ARC has exhibited the same problem for a few months now.   I think I am beginning to think it is an Dolby Atmos related issue.  It was just doing it when I tried to play an Dolby Atmos playlist from my Apple TV box.  Apple TV to LG TV to eARC HDMI out to ARC.  Simple setup.  The problem stopped when I switched back to TV sound which is outputing Dolby AC3.

SONOS Diag.  748691017.

check it out please.

‘Ed