Sonos Arc loud pop then audio loss

Show first post

1200 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge

updated my Apple TV 4K to tvOS 17… so far no popping… let us pray 🙏 

I would be happy for you, but I don't think tvOS17 will change anything. I think Sonos needs to do something here. It really just seems to be about Dolby Atmos MAT and they should find the bug. Because Dolby Atmos (DD+) works perfectly.

Userlevel 2
Badge
I give up. Sonos doesn't care and nothing happens. These are completely uncaptable. I will proceed in a different way.
Badge

Hello. I am experiencing this issue. I previously had the Beam (Gen2) which worked perfectly. Since upgrading to the Arc, when using the XBOX Series X there is a regular loud popping / cracking noise and the LED flashes Amber, followed by loss of sound. If I change the source back to Sky, then back to XBOX the sound returns for a short while then rinse and repeat. I thought it maybe heat related as the XBOX is directly underneath the Arc and emits quite a bit of heat. So moved it, and the problem still persists. Next step, is a new 4K HDMI cable… Just to add, no sound issues exist with Sky Q or any TV apps like Prime or Netflix. Just the XBOX connection. 

Also, previous setup with Beam was with a Samsung TV. I now have a Sony Bravia with the Arc Whether that makes any difference I don’t know 

Userlevel 3
Badge

Anyone know if Sonos S2 v. 14.0 fixes this popping issue? The update just dropped today and I know Sonos was developing a fix. 

Update: I just fired up my Xbox Series X and repeatedly jumped between 2 games that use Dolby Vision/Atmos and the Home Screen which usually triggers that loud pop. So far, no popping issue to report here. Did this for about 20 minutes and nothing. Seems like 14.0 might have fixed the issue but it would be great to hear others experience with the new update before coming to that conclusion.

Userlevel 1
Badge +2

I have owned my arc since release and never had an issue. I use my Apple TV every day with Dolby atmos. Never had a pop. Noticed the other day that Atmos was now available on ps5 so enabled it. 

played Jedi survivor for a whole week with no issues. 

soon as I started playing Spider-Man 2 tonight I get a huge pop and no audio. Have to change inputs to get audio back. Play for 45 seconds huge loud pop and no audio. 

tv is a Sony A80J. 

Spider-Man 2 is running at 120hz with HDR and VRR. 

Userlevel 1
Badge +2

Now ever since the pop has happened I have a massive audio delay on my Apple TV with atmos. 

this is awful all of a sudden my arc is stuffed

Userlevel 3
Badge

Now ever since the pop has happened I have a massive audio delay on my Apple TV with atmos. 

this is awful all of a sudden my arc is stuffed

Wish we had some good news for you chief. Sadly Sonos do not give a **** about fixing this. Now now, not for the past 3 years. 

Userlevel 6
Badge +5

Finally had time to test with the new Sonos software. No surprise, pop and sound cut out in less than 30 minutes. Diagnostic: 1131417922

Sonos, it’s been well over a year. What is happening?

Userlevel 2
Badge

This is the link where I saw the Sonos Staff comment about the issue too…

Reading that reply only solidifies my decision not to buy Sonos products going forward. Anyone remember Cambridge Soundworks? 

It’s entirely your prerogative not to buy, but to be honest that’s neither here, nor there, to me. I’m just another Sonos user. You might switch away to another brand, just to find you have a similar, or even a worse/different issue anyway with your chosen new product… c’est la vie.🤷‍♂️

I was merely trying to highlight that Sonos Staff had spoken about the matter, other brands seemed to be affected by the ‘popping’ sound too and I was trying to suggest a ‘potential’ solution to perhaps try - which is disabling MC LPCM (Atmos) until a fix is (perhaps) forthcoming …and to see if using the mentioned alternative codecs will work instead.

It’s a matter for you what you decide to do, going forward. I was just trying to help, nothing more than that, until the matter is reportedly resolved.

Although not affected by the ‘popping’ sound, I too hope it gets fixed for everyone concerned.🤞

2 years, 2 years give up. They dont care we have  to step up. 

Userlevel 6
Badge +5

I’ve submitted diagnostics multiple times immediately after the pop. Tech support took down the numbers but didn’t seem that interested.

They asked me to videotape it happening but I don’t know of a way to make it happen on command. 

If I were to hazard a guess, it isn’t a Sonos issue. Sonos is likely just playing what it is handed by the TV set, and in some cases, the CEC connection is breaking at that point. But Sonos doesn’t control the signal that it’s handed, and implementing a random solution might affect other programs that are playing sound, so Sonos hasn’t been able to do anything. If this is an issue upstream, as I am guessing, than Sonos has likely notified both the CEC alliance, as well as both Microsoft and Apple, which seem to be involved in many of these errant setups.

But my guesses are just that, guesses, but based on the fact that Sonos hasn’t admitted an issue in their software, something they’ve been willing to do in many other issues, when it was their own fault. 

Userlevel 6
Badge +5

Bummer. If it helps, having ”change format” set to “no” but Atmos off separately was my setup. 

Userlevel 3
Badge +2

Has anyone reported this loud popping issue when using a Sonos Beam Gen 2 which also supports Atmos? I can find any documented issue on here. Wouldn't that help show that it’s an Arc issue or is that a too simplistic look at things? 

Userlevel 1
Badge

@DC92 Hi, Be great to know any of the feedback you get via email in the end if that’s possible please, would certainly help with any next steps.👍

Hey, Not heard from Sonos just yet, saw my local currys had one in stock (where I bought it from) So I took it in for a replacement and the new one sounds miles better :) 

I’ll see what SONOS return with anyway and pop it in here when they eventually reply. I’ll ask them what they would’ve done had I not replaced it already too just so other people with this issue know how to proceed.

Cheers

That’s brilliant cheers mate. Good that currys swapped it usually they make things a bit hard sometimes and the fact you noticed a difference is really interesting! Thanks again for the update.

Hey, Sonos got back to me and asked me to do the following in order to test for damage to the speakers:

“As simple test to confirm, Trueplay. Please attempt to Trueplay the Arc in a 5.0 surround set up as well as while a stand along player. Please capture a diagnostic after each tune and let me know the outcome”

As I can’t do this now I’ve replaced the arc I’ve shifted the question to whether Sonos are looking into this issue we’ve all started experiencing recently. Whether it’s something they’re aware of and how we can avoid this pop sound. If it caused damage to my ARC then I’d imagine some other will follow. I’ll update again when they return with answer 

cheers

@Ken_Griffiths do you think Sonos should disclaim this issue before customers make a purchase?

Not specifically ‘no’ and my own reasons for saying that, is because generally speaking, manufactures normally only state what their products do support in their marketing literature and not what they don’t support, (otherwise that would be quite an exhaustive list in some cases). Sonos do not disclaim that they do not support DTS:X audio, or various other codecs, for example. It would seem odd to disclaim just this one specific issue and, of course, it appears the matter is still being investigated anyway at the moment.

Sonos Staff have advised users here in the community that they should use LPCM 5.1 surround audio from these 3rd-party devices instead, whilst the matter is being investigated.

It’s not an issue I’ve personally encountered with my Arc or Beam, but then again I don’t use MC LPCM as I don’t have an Xbox or Apple TV 4K etc. (however I do use Dolby Vision FWIW🤔?)

@Ken_Griffiths , I thought you didn’t have an Apple TV or Xbox and that you had never been affected by the pop. 
Has your situation changed? Are you now also affected?

I don’t have XBox, but I do have Apple TV (running tvOS 16.3 public beta), but I don’t have the ‘popping’ issue. I have however changed the ATV audio format to disable Mc LPCM and use Dolby 5.1 instead, as a precautionary measure… I do have Atmos compressed (DD+) audio options though, both on my TV (in-built Apps) and via a Nvidia Shield - I am just personally convinced that the popping issue spoken about here (albeit I’m not experiencing it personally) lies with the Mc LPCM codec - so it’s staying disabled here on my ATV. I hope that assists to clarify my earlier post.

Userlevel 4
Badge +3

Happened a few times over the weekend still random occurrence but at least all at the same place.  On the Series X, using Dolby Atmos when playing a game, when I exit out of that game and go back to the Home Screen….I get the pop

Earlier in this thread (or another one on Sonos) it was eluded that perhaps the problem occurs when one audio format ends and another one begins.  This is at least consistent to that theory

Anybody else get the same behaviour?

Userlevel 3
Badge +2

Has anyone reported this loud popping issue when using a Sonos Beam Gen 2 which also supports Atmos? I can find any documented issue on here. Wouldn't that help show that it’s an Arc issue or is that a too simplistic look at things? 

I see there is a comment earlier in the thread here from Sonos Staff re: the ‘popping’ issue. See this link:

https://en.community.sonos.com/troubleshooting-228999/sonos-arc-loud-pop-then-audio-loss-6852340/index12.html?postid=16610040#post16610040

Like many users, I’ve been experiencing this popping issue on my Sonos Arc for many months and have reported it through every Sonos support channel possible. It pops every 30-45 minutes in my case. I have disabled the Atmos on my ATV4K but still go back in after any update on my TV, Sonos Arc or ATV4K. That staff reply you mentioned was to me. He said nothing about similar issues with the Beam Gen 2 Atmos enabled units and I’m trying to understand why users of that product aren’t having the same popping issues. 

I do find it interesting that we are not seeing comments in the Sonos community about the same thing happening to Beam Gen 2 users. I mean if it was ATV4K and Xbox specific I’m sure there are many like set up scenario that are with the Beam Gen 2 instead of the Arc and they would be getting the pop also. 

Signed: Frustrated as all heck. 

Userlevel 4
Badge +3

We have been so far unable to reproduce it ourselves - thus the need for engineers to contact anyone who can reproduce it reliably.

I would get it occassionally with PC → LG CX → Sonos Arc

After I got rid of my LG CX and replaced with a monitor (PC → HDFury Arcana → Sonos Arc) I found that I can now reproduce the popping at will by running the Windows System Sound Test:

System → Sound → Arcana Properties → Select “Dobly Atmos for home theatre” and click TEST.

The pop happens consistently.  I’m glad to put in a case if the engineers want to get on a call and monitor in real-time.

Humour me on this one, just because I'm curious, if the Arc is muted during the test, does it still pop? Is it volume driven, i.e. is the pop louder if the volume is? And/or does the “Audio in” signal change on “About my System” only, when muted (not real-time, requires a page refresh).

I would try myself but as it's inconsistent, I'd rather not watch several movies in silence 😅 

I can confirm that I still get the pop if the Sonos itself is muted.  If the Xbox is muted, no pop

Userlevel 3
Badge +2

Honestly, I don’t think it’s a Sonos issue at all, i think it has to do with the device sending to the TV set, or the TV set sending to the Sonos, which just plays what it’s been told to play. Seems to be tied to MAT devices, such as Apple TVs and XBoxs more than anything else, but I’ve not been paying attention to TV sets in use, it could be there. CEC does make things much more complicated. 

Then why aren’t we hearing about the same popping issue from customers of the Sonos Beam Gen 2 which is also Atmos capable? I’m guessing the Beam Gen 2 is being used by many, many customers with Apple TV’s and/or XBoxe units. Just seems odd that it’s only folks with the Arc, Apple TV and/or XBoxes. 

Userlevel 6
Badge +5

Looking at the thread on the Sonos subreddit, I'm surprised to see so many users who had the bang once or twice and it went away; or who have configurations identical to ours but no problems.

Could this be just specific Arcs malfunctioning? Has anybody had their unit exchanged and the problem came back?

If this were as straightforward as "we need new units", that would blow my mind.

Userlevel 3
Badge +2

Just a thought, has anyone tried to get any of the tech sites to cover this?  I’m thinking like Ars Technica or the like.  Some additional pressure and eyes on the issue might help get the ball rolling on this.

Userlevel 6
Badge +5

@Cavecanem just to clarify for slower folks like myself: all you changed was Sonos Arc to Sennheiser Ambeo and the pop is gone?

Same issue, watching The last of us on Apple TV, then loud pop and nothing for a moment, then it will play fine for a bit then pop again, same situation, I shut off Dolby Atmos and still happening. Now watching Mandalorian on Disney + on Apple TV and same thing.

my diagnostic code is 1085889228

I’m also having this loud crackling sound and then audio loss until I reset the bar.

It began once like a month ago, but with time it’s becoming a more frequent issue. Last week and this week it happened several times.

That really loud popping sound can damage the speakers.

Diagnostic: 510072696

LG 55G16LA with and xbox series X. Every connection uses the official cables that come with the products. It used to work perfectly since a month ago, and nothing has changed in the configuration of my tv and Sonos arc.