Sonos Arc loud pop then audio loss

Show first post

1200 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +5

@Ken_Griffiths for the record, I trust you. Thank you explaining that you have no conflict.

I had a growing impression. I felt it was time to clear the air. Both of you have done that. As much as I may disagree with your assessment of the Sonos Pop, you have been generous and are acting in good faith.

Userlevel 3
Badge

Upgraded from a playbar to Arc a couple of weeks back. LG C1 and an Xbox one X. Had popping a number of times now.

Previously zero issues before the Arc. This must be a sonos Atmos issue.

Have they even acknowledged this as a bug? Not really acceptable for any product, let alone one that costs this much.

Sonos? 

What is being done about this?

Be prepared for people on here to attack you claiming this isn’t Sonos’ fault and they have nothing to fix or even acknowledge 

Have the same issue with apple tv & Sony x91j, it’s insane that an atmos capable device is just another sound bar now. Not worth >$2k if this is the support customers get. 

I can confirm that I switched off Dolby vision 2 weeks ago. I haven't had a single issue since with Atmos. Just wanted everyone to know!

Userlevel 6
Badge +5

- so maybe that’s worth a try and set aside any Apple TV, or connected problem device and try a different device and just see if the popping stops.

And after all these years with no fix in sight, that’s all I’m expecting from Sonos at this point: put out a statement, an FAQ, a disclaimer, a warning, anything. Sonos Arc is not a good pairing with Apple TV or Xbox. I don’t even expect them to take responsibility anymore. 

Potential customers deserve to know before they buy or the string of frustrated users finding this thread will never end. It’s the only decent thing to do.

I turned Dolby Vision off on the Apple TV and left Atmos on, no issues so far. Any loss of Dolby Vision enhancements are not that apparent to me.

I appreciate Atmos and sacrificing Dolby Vision was not a big trade off for me. 

Userlevel 1

I can confirm that I switched off Dolby vision 2 weeks ago. I haven't had a single issue since with Atmos. Just wanted everyone to know!

Haven’t had time to test this myself, but it would explain why we’ve had no reports from people with Samsung TVs. Samsungs can’t do Dolby Vision! Newer Sonys and LGs can.

Sophie’s Choice: do you kill Dolby Vision or Dolby Atmos? Ouch. 

I have a 2022 Samsung S95B which like you mentioned does not support Dolby Vision but as I posted a couple pages back, had the issue occur with this setup on the first game I tried with it on the Series X after hooking up my Arc. 
I do have HDR10 enabled but even without Dolby Vision it still occurs on my Samsung so I don’t think it’s linked to that, at least not exclusively. 

Badge +17

OK, sorry a lot to unpack.  Same thing happened to me with Apple TV on a Vizio OLED 65 inch.  Who do I call or what do I do.  My diagnostic was sent my confirmation is 1189733447.  This is a fairly expensive item to have this happen,  I have noticed I am limited to how load I can set the arc now before it goes down in volume and a orange light appears.  Also sound quality has taken a dive for sure.  Didn’t know if that has also been happening.  

Hi @thefelonattorney,

I’ve taken a look at your diagnostic, and combining that with the information in your post, I suspect your Arc is suffering from a hardware failure.

Please get in touch with our customer care team to explore the options available to you.

Make sure you give them this diagnostic number, as it shows the issue more clearly on your system: 1296489069

Userlevel 6
Badge +16

Hi there @samro1094, Thanks for reaching out, and welcome to the community. Sorry about this issue on your Sonos system, So that we can check the status of your whole Sonos system, I’ll ask you to submit a diagnostic report for us to investigate further what could be causing this issue on the loud pop sound on your Sonos Arc. You may reply to the thread with the confirmation number to assist you with this issue. 

Let us know how it goes and we're here to answer any further questions you have.

Userlevel 1

I’ve email the CEO Patrick Spence about this and one of the senior technicians is looking at it. I e sent them a video of the loud pop so hopefully will get somewhere with it. 

Userlevel 1

Ran into the article talking about this. I thought I had some weird unique problem apparently not. Mine happens with a gaming pc w/3080 at atmos mode. 

Userlevel 4
Badge +2

Upgraded from a playbar to Arc a couple of weeks back. LG C1 and an Xbox one X. Had popping a number of times now.

Previously zero issues before the Arc. This must be a sonos Atmos issue.

Have they even acknowledged this as a bug? Not really acceptable for any product, let alone one that costs this much.

Sonos? 

What is being done about this?

Be prepared for people on here to attack you claiming this isn’t Sonos’ fault and they have nothing to fix or even acknowledge 

I’m not sure if you read what Rowley_1 said, “This must be a Sonos Atmos issue.” Denoting this IS a Sonos issue/ fault.

From what I’ve read on this topic in multiple posts, the only people being  “attacked” and criticized from others are people who claim that this IS a Sonos issue. And just as Rowley_1, (and the vast majority of everyone else who posted), said, “Not acceptable for any product, let alone one that costs this much.”

We are all awaiting solution/ update fix. What is the point of having a TV capable of Dolby Vision and HDMI 2.1 Dolby Atmos when the component that we all purchased is unable to process the signal that it’s advertised to process better than other 2.1 sound systems?

Userlevel 6
Badge +5

The compressed audio option is for Sonos products that use line in, not HDMI like Beam and Arc. Don’t get me wrong, I’ll test it when I have time. But it shouldn’t do anything on Arc since Arc doesn’t have a line in. 

As for the Dolby Vision discussion, please keep in mind that pops happen on the Xbox even if DV is turned off. Turning off DV is not a solution for Xbox. 

As above 

this just happened again  -

Loud bang - this time all audio was lost for 5 minutes after rebooting - 

LG tv 55 inch - 2019 

No response from Sonos yet

another diagnostic report submitted

Sonos please Advise

thanks

Hi @MartinStartin

You perhaps need to contact Sonos Support direct, as the Staff may not pick up everything here in the user community. Here is the LINK to contact/chat with them online. Hope you get the issue resolved soon.👍

Userlevel 3
Badge +2

The update hasn’t fixed anything for me

my sound still drops for half a second every 20 seconds or so, sometimes it's better, sometimes it's worse, and same with the popping sound

this is my setup:

I'm using a Chromecast with Google TV 4K, and a BenQ TK700 projector

---------------------------------
Sonos Arc: Living Room
Sonos OS: S2
Version: 15.10 (build 76247142)
Hardware Version: 1.27.1.11-2.2
Series ID: A102
IP Address: 192.168.1.227
Audio In: Silence
WM: 1
Play:1: Living Room (LS)
Hardware Version: 1.8.3.7-2.0
Series ID: A101
IP Address: 192.168.1.225
WM: 2
OTP:
Play:1: Living Room (RS)
Hardware Version: 1.8.3.7-2.0
Series ID: A101
IP Address: 192.168.1.97
OTP:
Sub: Sub
Hardware Version: 1.32.1.7-2.1
Series ID: A202
IP Address: 192.168.1.226

Does the Chromecast 4K support TrueHD?  Because if not, I don’t think this fix applies to the issue you’re describing.

Userlevel 4
Badge +1

I’m a PS5 beta tester , and I can confirm loud pop also exist on the ps5 atmos . I was playing god of war Ragnarok once it loaded to the main menu loud pop occurred . Same as Xbox series X . Now more users will notice this is the problem in the future hopefully this will get more people to voice up and complain. Push Sonos to make this an official problem and get their ass to fix this damn issue . It’s very very very  frustrating !!!

Userlevel 6
Badge +5

Yes, I’m affected by the Sonos Pop on 48Gbps (Sony 900H). We’ve had many reports of Samsung users too in this thread. 

Userlevel 1

For me it did not help, unfortunately. 10 Minutes in on Xbox got the pop in the menu.

Userlevel 4
Badge +3

He provided a couple of possible solutions.  The first was the disable CEC/power cycle idea.  

Hah that’s funny, I guess the devs do read these boards after all

Userlevel 4
Badge +2

I have a Sony 900H and replicated some of this testing today. For those unfamiliar with the TV, it has 4 possible settings for HDMI ports 3 and 4: Standard (HDMI 2.0), Enhanced (HDMI 2.1, No DV, No VRR), Enhanced (with DV, no VRR), Enhanced (with VRR, no DV). HDMI 3 is the eARC port, so where the Sonos Arc is plugged into.

I think this is partly where the confusion lays, and one of the issues with the language are on that screen. All ports support DV, but I don't get why 3 and 4 have a separate setting for it. My Apple TV is on HDMI 2, and between Dec 2020-Oct 2021, served both DV and DA without fail. There's been no hardware changes, either inclusions, removals, or reconfigures since Dec 2020. Only software changes. 

Just to confirm my own thoughts — this was the screenshot before the VRR update on the X900H around Oct 2021, and I think is why the language is used.  You have the option for either DV, or HDMI 2.1 features such as 120fps.

I guess the newer options on the 3 and 4 equate to being limited to the following feature sets depending on what you select.

• “Enhanced” i.e. high speed formats e.g 4K60 4:4:4/RGB or 120 4:2:2
  • Dolby Vision
  • VRR

Also worth noting that these seem to do little for Arc itself.  I believe mine is set to “Standard” as it outputs nothing more than 1080, but eARC works just fine (with it’s handshaking being controlled by the eARC option in Audio Output settings).

The reason why HDMI 3 and 4 have separate settings is because Only 3 and 4 support HDMI 2.1. 

The posts on here should be clear, detailed and simple to understand for Sonos Technicians only as they are the only ones that can address this issue. 

We are all customers waiting and waiting and waiting for a solution or some kind of acknowledgment, and update as to whether or not this issue is being addressed.

As I’ve said previously, none of my posts state how Xbox is the ONLY way to recreate the error. They state a proven method to recreate the error.

There should be no confusion in this. And I’m including all the “rebuttals” in this post to avoid compounding this thread with unnecessary posts that aren’t relevant to adding information required for Sonos to establish a solution. 

There are no moderators for this thread. Hence all these confused posts that would otherwise be omitted or culled.

We are all trying to understand and share our endeavours to help Sonos understand and recreate the error.

Thank you to everyone who has put all the effort to attempting to inform and support the Customers of Sonos. Something that it is becoming clear that Sonos does not have the staff or resources to address their customer base.

As I’ve said previously, considering this error is 2 years old. This must be a hardware design issue. Otherwise a software update would have been implemented. Once error occurs it is permanent. And replacing the unit does not solve the issue.

Once there is either a new unit or a Ver 2 which I highly doubt due to this issue. Can we, the customer spend another chunk of cash for something that may or may not function as advertised.

Suffice it to say this will be the last time I purchase Sonos. Switching systems is something all audiophiles do in time. It’s just a shame that in this day in age, you don’t get what you pay for.

Userlevel 1

Just Audio uncompressed. I don’t use Alexa.

I would certainly recommend that you use the link provided by Ken to contact Sonos directly.

Userlevel 1
Badge

Pop about three minutes into The Mandalorian tonight on Apple TV.

So disappointing, no issues at all on TV native app.

would be good to get any kind of formal update, especially as this problem now seems to be with all Sonos Atmos capable equipment….

Userlevel 6
Badge +5

Just chiming in that the issue still keeps happening for me too, regularly, on Xbox and Apple TV. Sony 900H TV. 

Nothing has helped. Sonos support is giving me the same run around as the rest of you so I’ve stopped calling. Mission accomplished for them I suppose.

Asking for a recording. Pretending they are not aware of it being a widespread problem. Wanting me to establish if it happens with the Sonos music app (who cares?). Etc. 

Userlevel 4
Badge +2

Does this damage the speaker at all? I believe the Sonos rep has said they haven’t seen any indications that it does, but Rios said that it does?

Clarification, Sonos reps are not technicians. Neither am I. My theory (which is all it is) is based off of my experience as a Quality Assurance Tester for a hardware and software company.

I am alluding to the fact that there has been zero update, fix, acknowledgment or announcement of this known issue that is 2 years old. And no software update to address this issue.

And when I’ve stated multiple times over how I and many others are able to play Dolby Atmos on the Sonos Arc as long as Dolby Vision is disabled from all sources. After the popping error has occurred. 

Meaning, there is nothing wrong with the actual speakers. I have previously stated that it MIGHT be a component that is “fried” and is no longer able to process the signal.

My posts are long to specify exactly what I mentioned to avoid confusion or misinterpretation. 

Anything we say as customers are speculation. The purpose of this thread is to help us the customer understand the issue and whether or not this issue has been or will be addressed by Sonos. 

We all know the answer to this.