Beam Gen 2 - sudden full volume hammering sound

• 28 December 2021
  • 93 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge +1
  • Trending Lyricist I
  • 18 replies

Hi everyone,

Last week I got a Beam Gen 2 + Sub Gen 3 to replace my Beam Gen 1. So far everything's been running smoothly. Then today when I was listening to music with said setup while working a sudden hammering sound interrupted the music. The noise must have been at full volume despite the volume limit which I set to 40%. I jumped up from the couch and instantly pulled the plug. Music kept playing in the adjacent dining room on a pair of One/One SL for a bit before it stopped.

I tried to find the problem online and only found this video. This is exactly what I experienced with my Beam as well. However, this video does not give a good idea of how loud this really was.

Since I couldn't find a solution online, I called the support hotline. The lady on the phone told me, that such a problem has not come up yet. She asked me to replug the Beam and let some music play. After just a few minutes the noise interrupted the music again. So at least the support lady had some impression of it and I managed to send a diagnostic while the noise was on. After a few seconds the noise stopped. She then instructed me to reset the Beam/Sub setup and couldn't really help me otherwise.

Anyone here experienced this problem and possibly has a solution or knows what's the reason for this issue?

@Staff please help me out. This is really creeping me out as I feel this could come up again anytime... No fun watching movies or listening to music this way. My neighbours must hate me now.

Thank you.

Corry P 6 months ago

Hi @Luc45 et al

We now consider this issue of a hammering sound issuing from Beam (Gen 2) resolved with the latest update (v15.7).

If you still encounter this issue, please ensure your Sonos system is up to date, then contact our technical support team for assistance. Thank you.

View original

93 replies

Just finally found this thread after having the exact same issue 4 times with my Beam. Twice today. Is there no fix?!

Doesn’t seem like it.  They just sent me a new one but have to wait till my kids aren’t home to test it.  For the price of the whole system I shouldn’t have to worry like this.  My fear is that the issue shows up a month from now and they tell me to reproduce it when it seems to happen at random.

Has anyone figured out how to replicate it? I tried leaving my TV/streaming app running for hours but couldn’t make it happen. 

Based on what I have read through the thread there’s no one app, service, device that reproduces the problem.  On the first beam 2 I got it happened when I was using the TV and from my phone using different apps.  Once it happened within 10 min of use, 5 min of use then 2 h of use.  Currently testing the new beam 2 they sent me.

I’ve had this issue (or something similar) as well -- and reported it with diagnostics but no resolution. For me it is:

1. Random, but overall infrequent (it can go weeks without it)
  2. Generally once it happens, it will happen a second (and possibly a 3rd time) within a very short period after (within 20 minutes).
  3. After about 30 seconds, the noise stops (and the Beam 2 disappears from the app - as it reboots).

The most recent occurrence (in the past week) changed though - it  was silent. So audio just dropped but like I noted above, the Beam 2 rebooted itself and then it did it again a few minutes later. So either:

1. I hit a variation of the issue or,
  2. They pushed out a “fix” to at least make the fail less panic inducing.

I saw a guy saying that this was fixed by a software update, but turns out it is still recurring. Really puts me off buying the Beam though I really like it in every other aspect. Can someone reassure me that what's happening here are mostly isolated cases? 

I spoke too soon. I had the noisy version of the issue today.

For those who’ve had this issue, did you replace all your cables? Was your tv setup properly for Atmos? The reason I ask is that I reused an HDMI 2.1. I did use the Sonos AC cord. 

I use the cord provided by Sonos when it happened 

I have had this issue pop up twice in the last 2 days.  Randomly.  One with the TV off.  How do we submit diagnostics for a replacement when its completely random and disturbing pets when its happening?

Corry, any ideas this is really upsetting the family and I have a lot of Sonos products lol

@Corry P

Here is how to submit a system diagnostic. You’d need to submit it within roughly 10 minutes of the event, as the space for the diagnostic information on your system is not infinite. And once you’ve submitted it, you need to inform Sonos folks which one they should be looking at, and why. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @SubmarinePilot 

I recommend you follow @Airgetlam’s advice above:

Here is how to submit a system diagnostic. You’d need to submit it within roughly 10 minutes of the event, as the space for the diagnostic information on your system is not infinite. And once you’ve submitted it, you need to inform Sonos folks which one they should be looking at, and why. 

You can get in touch with our technical support team via this link.

I had the issue occur multiple times this weekend already. I’ve submitted diagnostics twice in the past 24 hours (although the issue occurred far more than just the twice) - but have not reached out to support yet as the timing was not great for sitting on the phone.

I have a “case #” that I was given the last time I actually reported it to support - It would be great if there was a mechanism so that I could attach the # that the app reports when I submit diagnostics to my case # so that support could look at the diagnostics without needing to be prompted by a call.

Adding a link to another thread (closed) in the forum on the same topic.

I had the issue occur again .. multiple times late last night and again this morning. I collected diags and called support .. they look at the diags, but then ask me to play TV audio with expectation that the issue will occur while they are on the phone. This is extremely unlikely, as I’ve told them repeatedly that the issue can occur several times in rapid succession, but then not occur for another few hours or days.

I captured a video of it happening this morning:

https://ufile.io/429v3h2a

You can see the show on the TV with the sound doing its messed up machine-gun/stuttering thing. Then I hit pause, but the messed up sound keeps going - until it stops as the Beam Gen 2 resets itself. I offered to send this video to technical support to help show what the issue is, but they did not seem all that interested.

Other observations (trying to capture any additional data):

• It may just be me, but it actually kind of seems that the pitch of the noise is related to whatever the actual sound was when the trigger happens.
    • For example, If you are watching an show where there is somebody singing in a higher pitch and the trigger happens, then the stutter seems to be a higher pitch.
    • On the other hand, if all that is happening is low dramatic music then the pitch seems to be lower. 

Tech support also keeps asking me if I encounter this when streaming Music (ie: not watching TV or movie). I don’t really listen to Music on my home theater setup, so I can’t comment on that. Not sure if anybody else out there who has seen this issue can comment?

I just experienced this on my Beam Gen 2 that I bought for Black Friday (3 weeks ago).  My wife was watching TV when the Sound bar malfunctioned and sounded like a Jack Hammer going off in our home.  We ran out of the house in our socks in the middle of a snowstorm because we thought something was going to explode.  This was a terrible experience!

The fact that this has been happening for 11 months and there is no fix is unacceptable. 

Does Sonos have plans to acknowledge and address this issue?

Sonos replaced my Beam2 now and the new one has not had the issue so far.

Hi! I replaced my Beam2 today, what about your Beam2? Still having the issue?

I just experienced this on my Beam Gen 2 that I bought for Black Friday (3 weeks ago).  My wife was watching TV when the Sound bar malfunctioned and sounded like a Jack Hammer going off in our home.  We ran out of the house in our socks in the middle of a snowstorm because we thought something was going to explode.  This was a terrible experience!

The fact that this has been happening for 11 months and there is no fix is unacceptable. 

Does Sonos have plans to acknowledge and address this issue?

TBH, I just got my SONS Beam Gen2 Delivery, after a rally with the carrier uh!, Anyway I’m starting to be worried about this issue, and thinking to return back everything to SONOS, before the returning policy ending. I prayer not happen to me.Lastly, any advice before this issue happen? Like be worry not to ...etc 

I’m following this board on all the reported issues with the Beam 2 unexpected LOUD HAMMERING noise. Purchased a Beam 2 from Costco and within a day the same booming explosive hammer/machine gun noise occurred. This happened randomly when watching TV or streaming music. Followed up with Sonos Support and after several calls they offered to send me a replacement. However the replacement is a refurb or open box unit.

The problem with this is I just purchased a new unit that is a week old and I am not swapping it for a refurb. Since Sonos is aware of this hardware issue for over a year and not addressing it I have absolutely no confidence in their product. I was so looking forward to the Beam as my soundbar. This is going back to Costco. (One less Sonos customer).

Can add to this. I got a Beam (Gen 2) from Costco for Black Friday. Setup went smooth and the first use was great. However, when I was watching Spirited in Dolby Atmos on the Apple TV app native to the Samsung TV, 7 minutes in, it made a loud, horrible machine gun sound. So, safe to say, I unplugged it and tried again next weekend by streaming National Lampoon’s Christmas Vacation on HBO Max (Dolby Multichannel 5.1), and that time, it happened 3 times, the first one being a whimper, and the next 2 were the same as the first instance. The following week, I finally called Sonos to see if I could get to the bottom of this. Nothing much happened on that call, except for me getting a case number and them suggesting to update it. That update made it go away for that session, but then I powered it down. That brings us to yesterday, when I used my Sonos Beam to watch the 4K Blu-ray of The Grinch (2018) on my Samsung 4K Blu-ray player. It only lasted 7 minutes before emitting that horrific sound. After that, I called Sonos to let them know it had occurred again. Not even 5 minutes after telling them my case number and running some diagnostics (didn’t have to give a number apparently), they went straight to replacement. And it was a really abrupt tone shift at that. Anyway, that brings me to today, where I went back to an another Costco to get a replacement Beam. I didn’t take up Sonos’s offer because I wanted to get a new one and use Costco’s generous return policy. So, I am hoping to god it doesn’t happen again on this one, because I really want to get the IKEA surrounds so I can have a good audio setup. 

Update from email I sent to Sonos CEO:

I received a reply from Jake (not the Jake from State Farm lol) but from Sonos Cusomer Experience. Here’s his response … 

Patrick forwarded your note along to me as I am a supervisor here at Sonos. Your case has been assigned to our team here at Sonos Customer Experience.

Thanks for bringing it up. We would like to apologize for the inconvenience. As of now, we are actively investigating this matter and working on a fix but we don't have a timeline yet. I will make sure to let the Engineering Team know about the feedback

And of course another case id.

If Engineering is only now investigating this what with all the complaints over a year ago they must have a low priority for this problem. I’m not taking a chance on another Beam 2 and will move on from Sonos. An interesting option is the Bose 600  introduced in October which has upward firing speakers. 

I had the issue occur multiple times this weekend already. I’ve submitted diagnostics twice in the past 24 hours (although the issue occurred far more than just the twice) - but have not reached out to support yet as the timing was not great for sitting on the phone.

I have a “case #” that I was given the last time I actually reported it to support - It would be great if there was a mechanism so that I could attach the # that the app reports when I submit diagnostics to my case # so that support could look at the diagnostics without needing to be prompted by a call.

yes, also pops up with streaming music with airplay or just using the Sonos app

Yes, also happens when playing music. With airplay and with the Sonos app.

I have two Sonos beams gen 2, one with 2 ikea sym as surround 

and one setup with the beam gen 2, sub mini and 2 one’s. Just occurred / experienced the hammering sound with this last set-up

Glad I found this thread. 

I’ve had the exact same experience with my Beam (gen 2). It has happened seven times in three months of usage.

Is the consensus that this is a hardware issue, only fixed with a replacement?

Glad I found this thread. 

I’ve had the exact same experience with my Beam (gen 2). It has happened seven times in three months of usage.

Is the consensus that this is a hardware issue, only fixed with a replacement?

The replacement Beam 2 Sonos sent me still has this problem, but it’s no longer happening at volumes that would give you a heart attack. 

In fact mine just did it again today after 3 months of not doing it, doing something entirely different than either of the previous situations. Sonos still hasn’t fixed this and it sucks. 

Isn't it time for a Twitter *** storm? They had over a year to fix this heart attack time bomb and the best they come up with is "working on a fix but we don't have a timeline yet”??

From a business perspective I totally understand them ignoring it, for a month or two but not a year. This is one of the best reviewed products in its class if not the best. But with an issue that bad it's really undeserved. 
A recall like this is scary expensive but the longer they wait, the more expensive it's gonna get.

*Moderator Note: Modified in accordance with the Community Code of Conduct.*

Wow I didn’t know a speaker would be capable of causing so much chaos. Mine just erupted with what can only be described as deafening machine gun firing sounds. Already boxed it up and sending it back. I can’t have a product in the house that has the capability of doing that. It terrified my dogs. My blind dog was so scared she ran into a wall. I damn near torn my ACL trying to get to the thing to unplug it. This thing is going to spark a class action lawsuit. A speaker that can actually cause physical harm to living things in your house! Quite the accomplishment.

Its just a real pity you couldn’t have remained calm and captured the issue on video and taken a system diagnostic report, as that may have helped everyone else to get to the root cause of the issue.

It’s certainly an issue I’ve seen reported online involving several other ‘brands’ of Soundbar/Speaker too, so it makes me wonder if it’s a codec, or a particular component issue.

Oh well let’s hope that if it ever happens to anyone else, that they are able to ’keep calm and carry on’ and gather the information that’s really needed to help resolve the issue

As someone that this just happened to I can tell you, you can't be calm about it, it just woke us up, we thought we were being attacked,y wife had a panic attack, it was the fist night we e were able to sleep since the baby, so no, being calm during this wouldn't be easy, I also see this being a lawsuit 

Userlevel 3
Badge +4

I had this happen multiple times. At first I couldn’t figure it out and since I bought a new TV at the same time wasn’t sure which product to blame. (It never happened to me at any time other than watching TV. Not during music or when quiet. Also, I did not find this thread until after the issue was resolved.) I finally called SONOS tech support. (FYI: I’ve called them several times over the years and have always been very happy with the service.)

After asking a few questions tech support told me they would replace the speaker and send me a pre-paid label to send back the old one in the box from the new one. I called on a Monday morning and the replacement speaker arrived Tuesday afternoon, e.g. the next day! The simple swap required me to go through the setup process again. It has been a few weeks and the replacement speaker is performing exactly as it should.

I currently own 15 SONOS speakers and have given about that many again as gifts. This is the first time one required replacement and the service was outstanding.

Sure, I would have preferred my speaker never exhibited that loud hammering noise. And I wish SONOS had sent out some sort of alert indicating it could happen and explaining they would fix it. But overall, the my experience with customer service/tech support is far ahead of the vast majority of companies producing tech products. End result: I still love my SONOS system.