Beam Gen 2 - sudden full volume hammering sound

• 28 December 2021
  • 60 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge +1
  • Trending Lyricist I
  • 18 replies

Hi everyone,

Last week I got a Beam Gen 2 + Sub Gen 3 to replace my Beam Gen 1. So far everything's been running smoothly. Then today when I was listening to music with said setup while working a sudden hammering sound interrupted the music. The noise must have been at full volume despite the volume limit which I set to 40%. I jumped up from the couch and instantly pulled the plug. Music kept playing in the adjacent dining room on a pair of One/One SL for a bit before it stopped.

I tried to find the problem online and only found this video. This is exactly what I experienced with my Beam as well. However, this video does not give a good idea of how loud this really was.

Since I couldn't find a solution online, I called the support hotline. The lady on the phone told me, that such a problem has not come up yet. She asked me to replug the Beam and let some music play. After just a few minutes the noise interrupted the music again. So at least the support lady had some impression of it and I managed to send a diagnostic while the noise was on. After a few seconds the noise stopped. She then instructed me to reset the Beam/Sub setup and couldn't really help me otherwise.

Anyone here experienced this problem and possibly has a solution or knows what's the reason for this issue?

@Staff please help me out. This is really creeping me out as I feel this could come up again anytime... No fun watching movies or listening to music this way. My neighbours must hate me now.

Thank you.

60 replies

Just finally found this thread after having the exact same issue 4 times with my Beam. Twice today. Is there no fix?!

Doesn’t seem like it.  They just sent me a new one but have to wait till my kids aren’t home to test it.  For the price of the whole system I shouldn’t have to worry like this.  My fear is that the issue shows up a month from now and they tell me to reproduce it when it seems to happen at random.

Has anyone figured out how to replicate it? I tried leaving my TV/streaming app running for hours but couldn’t make it happen. 

Based on what I have read through the thread there’s no one app, service, device that reproduces the problem.  On the first beam 2 I got it happened when I was using the TV and from my phone using different apps.  Once it happened within 10 min of use, 5 min of use then 2 h of use.  Currently testing the new beam 2 they sent me.

I’ve had this issue (or something similar) as well -- and reported it with diagnostics but no resolution. For me it is:

1. Random, but overall infrequent (it can go weeks without it)
  2. Generally once it happens, it will happen a second (and possibly a 3rd time) within a very short period after (within 20 minutes).
  3. After about 30 seconds, the noise stops (and the Beam 2 disappears from the app - as it reboots).

The most recent occurrence (in the past week) changed though - it  was silent. So audio just dropped but like I noted above, the Beam 2 rebooted itself and then it did it again a few minutes later. So either:

1. I hit a variation of the issue or,
  2. They pushed out a “fix” to at least make the fail less panic inducing.

I saw a guy saying that this was fixed by a software update, but turns out it is still recurring. Really puts me off buying the Beam though I really like it in every other aspect. Can someone reassure me that what's happening here are mostly isolated cases? 

I spoke too soon. I had the noisy version of the issue today.

For those who’ve had this issue, did you replace all your cables? Was your tv setup properly for Atmos? The reason I ask is that I reused an HDMI 2.1. I did use the Sonos AC cord. 

I use the cord provided by Sonos when it happened 

I have had this issue pop up twice in the last 2 days.  Randomly.  One with the TV off.  How do we submit diagnostics for a replacement when its completely random and disturbing pets when its happening?

Corry, any ideas this is really upsetting the family and I have a lot of Sonos products lol

@Corry P

Here is how to submit a system diagnostic. You’d need to submit it within roughly 10 minutes of the event, as the space for the diagnostic information on your system is not infinite. And once you’ve submitted it, you need to inform Sonos folks which one they should be looking at, and why. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @SubmarinePilot 

I recommend you follow @Airgetlam’s advice above:

Here is how to submit a system diagnostic. You’d need to submit it within roughly 10 minutes of the event, as the space for the diagnostic information on your system is not infinite. And once you’ve submitted it, you need to inform Sonos folks which one they should be looking at, and why. 

You can get in touch with our technical support team via this link.