Answered

Arc stops working with TV , was working fine

• 9 November 2020
  • 56 replies

Show first post

56 replies

In the past week I have an issue where the ARC on my LG TV suddenly is not receiving audio from my SONOS beam. It had been working for the past 18 months. Basically the LG TV will not allow me to select HDMI ARC and the output and will automatically default to the TV Internal Speaker. If I connect the TV’s optical output to the SONOS it works fine (But then I lose the ability to utilize Google Assistant to control the TV) 

I have tried the following steps:

• Powered everything down for 5 minutes - No Change
  • Tried resetting the TV to default settings and then reconfigured - No Change
  • All software is updated (TV, SONOS and SONOS app)
  • Tried swapping HDMI cables - No Change

Has there been updates to this? I have the same issue, ARC was working then it stop with Tv audio. I have tried multiple Tv’s/hdmi’s throughout the house and keeps saying CEC not connected. Yes the CEC is turned on for all Tv’s. This has to be a product malfunction. Called support, and they walk me through doing the same thing I already done multiple times. They told me to check with the Tv manufacturer. 1 Tv, I can see but 4 different Tv brands not working. 

@gpicard5,

Have you enabled ‘Simplink’ and ‘auto-power-sync’ on your LG TV?

@gpicard5,

Have you enabled ‘Simplink’ and ‘auto-power-sync’ on your LG TV?

I have. Just a reminder that this worked fine for 18 months and then suddenly stopped working without any config changes.

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

Can you try another TV, to determine if it is the TV or the Beam?

Can you tell if your TV took a firmware update? Also, what TV?

Badge

I came here because I just experienced this problem (Arc works fine for streaming music, but nothing from the tv even though it worked fine for months and nothing else has changed). 

For me, I fixed it by going to the Expert Settings in the TV’s Sound menu, disabled HDMI e-ARC mode, set Digital Output Audio Format to Auto, and disabled Dolby Atmos. The sound started working. I then changed the settings back to Auto, Pass-Through, and Enabled respectively. Everything is working normally again. So it did appear to be an issue with my TV.

Hope this helps someone. 
TV: Samsung QN90A

This happened to me a second time recently, and I decided to try each setting one by one to narrow it down to which one actually fixed it. 

This time I only changed the HDMI e-Arc mode from ‘Auto’ to ‘Off’, and the sound started working again. I then changed that setting back to ‘Auto’ and everything was back to normal.

Can you try another TV, to determine if it is the TV or the Beam?

Can you tell if your TV took a firmware update? Also, what TV?

It’s an LG 50” but I don’t have the model with me at the moment. I actually have 2 of the same TV and 2 SONOS Beams in my house. One set is fine and the other is experiencing this problem so I suspect that the TV software isn’t the issue but rather the BEAM or the ARC port on that particular TV. Really strange though. 

Badge +2

I came here because I just experienced this problem (Arc works fine for streaming music, but nothing from the tv even though it worked fine for months and nothing else has changed). 

For me, I fixed it by going to the Expert Settings in the TV’s Sound menu, disabled HDMI e-ARC mode, set Digital Output Audio Format to Auto, and disabled Dolby Atmos. The sound started working. I then changed the settings back to Auto, Pass-Through, and Enabled respectively. Everything is working normally again. So it did appear to be an issue with my TV.

Hope this helps someone. 
TV: Samsung QN90A

This happened to me a second time recently, and I decided to try each setting one by one to narrow it down to which one actually fixed it. 

This time I only changed the HDMI e-Arc mode from ‘Auto’ to ‘Off’, and the sound started working again. I then changed that setting back to ‘Auto’ and everything was back to normal.

I have a similar problem with a Samsung Q95T and to solve the problem what I usually do is reboot the TV with the remote control in order to have sound again. 

Can we assume that in between each TV you’re connecting to, you’re unplugging the Arc, so that it has the opportunity to reboot and reload the software?

Have you rebooted these TVs, as well? While it would be odd for the same issue to hit all 4 simultaneously, but I could see a situation with a power surge causing all 4 to “burp” in their software. A reboot by unplugging the TV from the wall for 5 minutes would force them, much like the Arc itself, to reload the operating software, which controls the CEC. And frankly, if all four TVs are the same manufacturer, it’s slightly possible there’s an issue with the latest software upgrade.

I’d start with the Arc, as I think you’re correct to place more significance on that aspect, but I wouldn’t ignore the TV as a potential issue, either. And, frankly, the HDMI cable you’re using could be suspect. Again, low chance, but we shouldn’t ignore any possibility. 

Can we assume that in between each TV you’re connecting to, you’re unplugging the Arc, so that it has the opportunity to reboot and reload the software?

Have you rebooted these TVs, as well? While it would be odd for the same issue to hit all 4 simultaneously, but I could see a situation with a power surge causing all 4 to “burp” in their software. A reboot by unplugging the TV from the wall for 5 minutes would force them, much like the Arc itself, to reload the operating software, which controls the CEC. And frankly, if all four TVs are the same manufacturer, it’s slightly possible there’s an issue with the latest software upgrade.

I’d start with the Arc, as I think you’re correct to place more significance on that aspect, but I wouldn’t ignore the TV as a potential issue, either. And, frankly, the HDMI cable you’re using could be suspect. Again, low chance, but we shouldn’t ignore any possibility. 

Yep Arc is being unplugged and being moved to each Tv. There are all different manufacturers, Sharp, Vizio, Insignia, Samsung. I will try to unplug all Tv’s for a while to see if that works, though that is doubtful. Hdmi’s work with other devices in the house. 

Yep Arc is being unplugged and being moved to each Tv. There are all different manufacturers, Sharp, Vizio, Insignia, Samsung. I will try to unplug all Tv’s for a while to see if that works, though that is doubtful. Hdmi’s work with other devices in the house.

It’s not clear if you tried a different HDMI cable, but if not, perhaps try that too. Note the cable has to have HEAC support (HDMI 1.4+) and it’s not unknown for such a cable to go faulty.

Man, you’re making it hard, having done all the things we’re suggesting :)

Honestly, I’d call back support and talk your way through to what I have to assume is level 2. I can’t think of any particular reason beyond those we’ve listed for this to be failing. 

I’m assuming that you can still stream music to the Arc? It still shows up in the controller?

Might be worth posting a diagnostic number here, the forum moderators are a separate group than the phone folks. 

Yeah, I can still stream music and what not but I bought it as movie surround sound system(arc, sub, 2 sr) not a glorified bluetooth speaker. I already talk to support they basically said it was Tv and call the manufacturer, even though I told them I tried this process on multiple Tv’s throughout my house. At this point I just want to send it in to get it checked. 

Yea, Sonos doesn’t, to my knowledge, offer that kind of service. It’s a full replacement device, or nothing. They don’t do any “repair/check” kind of thing. Once the CS folks on the phone authorize a replacement with varying charges due to length of ownership and type of failure, that’s pretty much it, from what I’ve seen over the years. 

And no, there’s also no “authorized repair centers” that could do that, either. There are non-licensed services, of which I’ve seen reference to in the UK specifically, but none that I’m particularly aware of here in the US. 

Thank you. I did not know that was available. you do this through the sonos app?

Thank you. I did not know that was available. you do this through the sonos app?

Yes, if you select the hyperlinks in my previous post you should see the detail of what you need to do. 
Hope that helps.👍

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

Try switching to an optical connection and see if that works.

What is the source device, has that changed recently (eg firmware update)?

I had the same problem last night. Spent hours trying to solve it.  Music streamed fine. 
Today I started on HDMI cables. Unplugged HDMI 1 by mistake instead of HDMI Arc. Thought I would see what happens before I went further. Like magic it just worked again.  HDMI 1 input was Apple TV.  I plugged it into HDMI 4 & it everything still works. Didn’t even take out HDMI Arc. 
I sometimes feel between Sonos, Apple & Sony TV things just conflict. 
Hope it keeps working 🙏

First I’ve heard of this with an Apple TV. I’d probably double check if the TV has any outstanding updates and apply them, then reboot the TV by unplugging it from the wall for tow or three minutes. 

I’ve had a sonos Arc and a LG GX 77 inch tv for about a year now. Everything was working great until suddenly I had the same issue as most people: TV audio just stopped working for some reason (although music playback worked just fine).

I went into my LG tv settings as follows: All settings —> Sound —> additional settings —> I then noticed “eARC” was turned off. I turned it back on and everything works perfectly again.

I’m not entirely sure if the eARC setting just turned off on its own or there was some automatic update on the TV that unchecked it.  Anyway maybe this will help someone out there.

Mine did the same thing. This worked for me!

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

On my Samsung I have to hold the stand by button a bit longer for that. You hear a faint click and see Samsung QLED on start up.

Badge +2

On my Samsung I have to hold the stand by button a bit longer for that. You hear a faint click and see Samsung QLED on start up.

Yes, that is what I usually do.

Having this same issue suddenly. Everything was working fine (LG OLED and Arc) but started to experience sound issues when changing input sources on the TV over the last week; and now no sound via Arc today.  Unplugging, turning off/on TV worked previously but no longer. Have tried all the troubleshooting - unplugging, resetting TV, resetting Arc, checked all settings on TV. I tried plugging the Arc into the optical port with adapter and still nothing.  I swapped the Arc out for my old Playbar connected to the TV via optical - it worked fine.  I tried changing HDMI cables to the Arc, no luck.  Seems like the Arc input is just not functioning?  It cannot detect a signal any longer in TV Setup in the app.  Has anyone come across another solution? Thanks!

Having the same issue here, and it seems like there is not really any good solution. My setup had been working fine for months, and I recently unplugged the sonos from the arc port to plug in another device.

When I tried plugging the sonos beam back into the arc port, the audio would no longer come from the beam/system. I tried running the setup on the app, and the app would tell me that there is no Arc cable connected.

I shut the whole thing off following the steps outlined here, unplugged every device. I did this multiple times until I gave up last night. I tried pretty much every combination of TV on first, Beam on first, which end to plug the hdmi cable into, each with at least a 5 minute period in between. I had every other device unplugged from the TV and powered down while doing this. I left everything unplugged and all hdmi cables unplugged until this morning where I tried again thinking maybe it takes longer than expected to do a full reset. Exact same issue.

HDMI cable works with other devices, and again, had been working fine until it was unplugged.

• Sonos is fully updated.
  • TV is fully updated.
  • It is not a cable issue, was working with same cable, and same cable works with other devices. Also tried 2 other hdmi cables that I use for my computer setup (both function in that capacity) and get the same issue.
  • Settings on the TV are to use the ARC for audio out, including the eARC checkbox another user was talking about.
  • Have done a factory reset on the TV, redownloaded/installed updates, hasn’t worked.

TV model: OLED55C1PUB (LG 55” OLED Class C1, 55”)
Sonos Details: Beam Gen 2, with 2 Sonos Play 1s

Sonos has always been super finicky when it comes to connecting to ARC properly. No idea why as its a hardwire connection. I didn’t realize that unplugging the hdmi for a few minutes would forever destroy my ability to use this system. When googling what could be the issue pretty much the only things I found were “did you try resetting it” and “but did you reallllly try resetting it??” and that is it. Super disappointing that there is such apparently such a pervasive issue with connecting and hdmi cable.

Getting ready for my hour long sonos help call where they will make sure I reallllllly reset it though.

Userlevel 6
Badge +15

Hi @kdto - if the Arc isn’t getting a signal from either the HDMI-ARC or Optical ports, then I’d recommend reaching out to our Support Team via live chat or phone call.

They’ll be able to take a closer look at what’s happening and go through some live troubleshooting with you :)

I have the same issue. Sonos arc connected to my Samsung Q80t suddenly stopped working. Tried all reasonable troubleshooting steps (switching on and off all devices, disconnecting and reconnecting etc.) but Sonos arc can't get any signal from the TV from eARC port. My Sonos arc is less than a year old and try to return it and never look towards sonos product..so frustating.