Answered

Where is the IR repeater on the Arc?

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

41 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +26

The IR repeater will broadcast any IR commend the receiver sees, it doesn’t apply just to volume commands. And yes, the IR lights will be on all the time, they flash when sending commands.

Userlevel 4
Badge +8

Using the suggestions and info in this thread I think I have located the repeaters.

As already stated they are not visible to the naked eye but can be seen by a smart phone camera.  

Surprisingly they stay illuminated all the time it appears.

I do not know if that's normal. You would think they would just send a burst of light like a typical remote control.

I also wonder with them being so recessed like that could that interfere with communication to the TV. 

Userlevel 6
Badge +11

Scratch that. IR repeaters don't  work. You can check by looking through your cell phone camera as you press buttons on the remote. 

Some smartphone cameras have IR filters, test the camera first with remote. eg my iPhone main (rear) camera doesn’t see IR but front face camera does see IR from remote.

Userlevel 4
Badge +8

Scratch that. IR repeaters don't  work. You can check by looking through your cell phone camera as you press buttons on the remote. Cameras pick up IR light and the Src is not transmitting anything through the repeaters on the back. Hopefully an issue that can be fixed by a software update

This is what I've been leaning to as well.  I will wait on @Ryan S first before I commit to that statement.

Userlevel 4
Badge +8

Hi everyone, there are IR repeaters on both sides of the area where the cables are plugged in on the middle (called the cable cove), designed to broadcast the signal out to both sides of the bar from the back. As long as the IR receiver of the TV isn’t hanging over the back of the bar, it should be able to see the signals.

If you’re having trouble, maybe you need to just pull the Arc forward a bit. But if that’s still not working, you may want to give our support team a call to investigate further.

@Ryan S  I contacted support via chat earlier today., Before I even get into that I have a question. What are the purpose of the IR Repeaters. I know it sounds like a ridiculously silly question but I promise I am asking for a reason.

Do they only repeat the IR commands for volume or pretty much all IR commands.  I figure they should just send what they receive.

Userlevel 1
Badge

Scratch that. IR repeaters don't  work. You can check by looking through your cell phone camera as you press buttons on the remote. Cameras pick up IR light and the Src is not transmitting anything through the repeaters on the back. Hopefully an issue that can be fixed by a software update

Userlevel 1
Badge

Okay, so I was able to get mine to work. The IR repeaters are on both sides like what Ryan S. said. I had to pull the sounbar forward another inch or so and it is working now. The IR repeaters fire upwards instead of backwards, so the light can't hit the TV if it is too close.

Userlevel 7
Badge +26

Hi everyone, there are IR repeaters on both sides of the area where the cables are plugged in on the middle (called the cable cove), designed to broadcast the signal out to both sides of the bar from the back. As long as the IR receiver of the TV isn’t hanging over the back of the bar, it should be able to see the signals.

If you’re having trouble, maybe you need to just pull the Arc forward a bit. But if that’s still not working, you may want to give our support team a call to investigate further.

Userlevel 1
Badge

Same issue with me. Love the ARC, but IR repeater doesn't work. Also wish they supported the sound setup the same way they do with IPhone. Will probably borrow someone's at some point to calibrate to my room. Was also hoping it could stream Atmos audio from Tidal without going through TV but no luck. Will be upgrading my tv, so no big deal, but something I didn't know about.

Userlevel 4
Badge +8

Looks like we're all having this issue. My IR repeater doesn't appear to be working and my Sony Bravia IR receiver is in the middle. 

The volume up and down works but that's passed through the ARC port.  (I really think they should have given this speaker a different name)

Userlevel 3
Badge

I’m also wondering where on the Arc the IR Repeater is actually located. I have 2 Arc’s - 1 connected to a GZ1000 and 1 connected to a LGC9 - and like you guys I have to aim up over the Arc for anything other than volume to work. And yes it’s toggled on in the app for both of them.

Userlevel 6
Badge +11

Does the Arc have an IR repeater?

I'm having the same issue. Had to boost up the TV to get the TV remote to work

I was hoping my input button on my Panasonic remote would pass through somehow. Is it supposed to go via ARC?

Userlevel 1

I’m having the exact same issue as OP. Arc is setup, IR repeater is enabled in the S2 app, but the only TV controls that process are volume up/down. The remainder are not passed through by the Arc to the IR input on the TV (which the Arc blocks). 

Same question here, I've a Harmony hub inside my TV stand, IR repeter on. I see the led on the ARC but commands are not received by the TV.

The IR sensor IS although on the left side of the TV (,Panasonic GZ1000)