Answered

Sonos turning off Bravia TV

• 2 January 2020
  • 49 replies

Userlevel 1

Just got a Sonos Beam. Connected it to a Sony Bravia TV using HDMI ARC and set up Bravia Sync. Audio is playing great. The TV remote, Apple TV remote, etc can control the Beam volume just fine.

However, I’ve noticed that lately the TV is doing what I might call a “hard power down” after sleeping, but only after having slept for some time. By hard power down I mean that next time I try to turn the TV on by waking a Bravia Sync device (like the Apple TV), the TV won’t turn on like it did before the Beam was added. And when the TV does turn on (which requires using the TV remote), it shows the Sony logo, the Android logo, the four rotating color block animations, etc and takes a minute or so to load.

My hunch is that the Beam is somehow sending a CEC power down signal to the TV, and the TV is interpreting it as a hard power down. 

This only happens after the TV is off for an extended amount of time (an hour or two).

Any ideas?

icon

Best answer by loodaddy 5 January 2020, 18:18

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

49 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +2

This question isn’t resolved as far as I’m concerned. Using the optical method isn’t a solution - it’s a workaround.

Userlevel 1

@Thumbpicker, glad I’m not going crazy :) 

Posted a thread at Sony just now, but hopefully somebody from Sonos can comment here.

Following worked for me. No more boot up when I switch on TV in the morning.

• Turn on IP Simple Control 
    • Open Settings
    • Go to Network
    • Go to Home network
    • Go to IP control
    • Go to Simple IP control
    • Toggle On

Since optical is a one way transmission, I.e. the Sony doesn’t receive any data from the Sonos, it certainly seems like this is an issue with the Sony. Have you tried contacting them?

I did find this on another thread, I wonder if it might help you?

Courtesy of method_ben and Smilja in this thread, try this:

• Turn on IP Simple Control
    • Open Settings
    • Go to Network and Internet
    • Go to Home network
    • Go to IP control
    • Go to Simple IP control
    • Toggle On
  • Set RS232C Control to "Via Serial Port”
    • Open Settings
    • Go to Remotes and Accessories
    • Go to RS232C Control
    • Set it to "Via Serial Port”  

Yes there is no resolution here.  Do we have any word from Sonos?

I was just told by Sonos support that it’s Sony’s issue so deal with them or use optical..  sigh.

Userlevel 1

http://bit.ly/35ojSCu

I totally agree.  It seems like the issue started a couple of weeks ago.  I wonder if there was a beam update around that time.

Badge

I totally agree.  It seems like the issue started a couple of weeks ago.  I wonder if there was a beam update around that time.

How long you had the tv and beam set up? Was fine before a couple weeks ago? Could be either a Sony or Sonos update that changed something.

Badge

I have an XF9005 (with Sonos beam) that was doing this exact same thing. I was also experiencing some wifi stability issues. In the end, i disabled the TV wifi (now use apple TV 4K) and this actually resolved my rebooting issue. Just thought id put this out there in case it can help anyone else.

The one problem i still have is when turning on the TV using alexa, the TV will turn on but then instantly turn off (only a soft turn off). If i use alexa to turn it on again it will stay on. The problem ususally happens when the tv has been off for a few hours. 

Yes, they stated that the Sony TV is “forgetting” the Sonos and thus thinks it’s a new device- hence initiating the restart.  This explanation is problematic for a host of reasons.  I felt like they were trying to get rid of me tbh.

Actually I also turned off the « auto sleep mode with no incoming signal » and the TV didn t shut down during standy mode. Maybe a clue. 

Userlevel 1

I’m also having an issue with my Sony A9G and the Sonos Arc. It idles out to a Bravia logo minutes into watching an HDMI connected Fios set up box. I don’t think this is Sonos issue but a Sony issue. I’ve tried every setting, contacted Sony and they tell me it’s just me and not a known issue. They are calling me tomorrow because they need to address this. Call Sony and let them know what’s happening.

Have the same issue with the Arc and my Sony A8H. It would get to that black screen after maybe a minute or so. I’ll get the screen on again by hitting “back” or going into settings. But after about a minute it would go black again with the Bravia logo. Very frustrating. I would also lose sound sometimes with different apps. 

Userlevel 1

Ok so I switched to connecting the Beam to the TV with the optical adapter. The rebooting problem stopped (since Beam can’t access the TV using CEC). After playing with a few settings, it seems like this works just fine with only one major downside vs. using ARC/CEC.

For the settings changes:

• For each input and the built-in Apps, turn off Clear Audio, set output to Dolby Digital, and set Speakers to Audio System
  • Make sure “Use IR” in on in the Sonos app
  • For me, the TV remote and Apple TV remote could control Sonos volume using IR (not sure if this will take extra steps for you), and the DVR remote controls Sonos volume using IR when you press the TV button first (assuming it’s already set up with the TV remote code as a universal remote).
  • Set up Sony’s Android TV skill in Alexa since Sonos can’t control the TV directly over optical (but since Sonos acts as an Echo it works just fine indirectly)

EDIT: See below for fix on this. The only weirdness seams to be that the on-screen volume meter doesn’t stay synced with the actual Sonos volume. So while up and down always effectively work to increase/decrease Sonos volume, and anything that moves the TV volume meter up/down will increase/decrease volume Sonos volume, you could get into situations where the TV says “0” and you aren’t at minimum Sonos volume (but you can keep pressing down to decrease volume), the TV says “100” and you aren’t at maximum Sonos volume, (but you can keep pressing up to increase volume), and things in between won’t consistently match to an actual Sonos volume (so “25” on the TV may be really quiet, or really loud).

See grcrew post above yours. That fixed the problem. Sony Technical service were useless. They said that their new software was designed to shut down after being in standby for 2 hours. My experience since carrying out the setting ip Simple control that the TV remains in stand by mode as expected. 

cheers

I already tried it and it didn t work. 

I’ve had this issue for over a year now. It’s so annoying. I did the workaround to optical, but I bought this TV specifically to upgrade to HDMI ARC. The powering off is only half of the issue for me. Every time it reboots, it also resets all of my sound settings, so in addition to doing a hard reboot on the TV, I also have to go to the Sound settings on my TV and change output from “TV speakers” to “external audio” -- EVERY TIME. I can’t believe this has not be fixed in over a year.

I wouldn’t think the Beam knows a hard power down command, unless it is receiving it as the result of a voice command, going to the “cloud” and receiving the appropriate information to then send to the TV. It’s not a function that would make any sense for Sonos to build in to the device.

My guess is there is some sort of conflict/issue in the HDMI-CEC connection. I would first check for updates for the TV from Sony, and then contact Sony directly, since there are no reports of this behavior on other TV manufacturers. 

Userlevel 4
Badge +2

It’s not much good turning off the wifi when I use the Wifi for Netflix, Youtube, movies from my NAS etc.

Badge

What model Sony tv everyone have? I’m on x900e. I can’t believe there isn’t more complaints about this online, I could only imagine how many people have a song tv and a beam.

X850e

Userlevel 4
Badge +2

Thanks - my warranty on TV runs out in like 5 days - so I’d like to work it out as quickly as possible lol

Can you send me a link to your thread?

Badge

I was just told by Sonos support that it’s Sony’s issue so deal with them or use optical..  sigh.

The beam is the thing causing it though. Doesn’t happen when the beam is removed. Doesn’t happen with a different sound bar. Returning this weekend even though I really want to keep it.

Same here. I have a Beam connected to Sony Bravia KD-49X8000G via ARC. When the TV has been turned off and in stand by mode it will do a complete shut down after about 2 hours. The next time you restart the TV it will go into the full Android start up routine. If you disconnect ARC connection, TV stays in stand by mode. Also the TV mute button becomes unstable while the Beam is connected. Sony state that their TV software is not compatible with Sonos. Can you believe this?  If you own a Beam and considering to upgrade your TV, then don’t buy a Sony. 
sony would have to be the the most difficult company I have ever experienced. Sonos on the other hand have been excellent in their support. Hoping they can get Sony to update their crappy software. 

Just a few days- however I’ve noticed that this thread and the thread on the Sony website both started a couple of weeks ago

Userlevel 4
Badge +2

Did they say why it’s Sony’s issue? If I have to go back to Sony it’d be great to explain what the problem seems to be so they can address it.