Sonos Beam low volume

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

58 replies

following, installing my beam tonight with optical to LG TV and hoping the volume issue doesn't come up for me. I read beam have IR so in using a Roku, I have a remote adapter for volume so hoping to program that to the Beam like I did with my old soundbar.
Userlevel 4
Badge +3
Similar issue here. For me it's just certian channels on the Sky HD box need to be turned up to 7 or 8. Others are fine. using a Beam on a Sony Bravia KDL50w829b via hdmi arc. There are no fixed/variable volumn options on any device as far as I can tell.

Skybox is set to output DD over hdmi
Following. Same issue. I have Sony Bravia as well.
Did you submit the diagnostic that was asked for in the post before yours? If so, perhaps posting the number here so that this "Ryan" person can look at it might be helpful.
Userlevel 4
Badge +3
Submitted. TV is a Bravia Kdl50w829b. Using a Beam via hdmi arc and a pair of Play 1s
Badge
I've got my Beam yesterday and been experiencing the same issue.

I got a new Sony android tv and set up the beam via arc HDMI as the Sonos app has shown.

My tv is on volume 10 and my Beam 54.
Is there a way I can fix tv on 30 and then use my Beam from that point?

I've sent a diagnostic through the Sonos app and now I'm waiting for some help! 😃
Same issue as original post. TV slider is all the way up to 80s to get same perceived volume as previously only needed 30s to get that level. (Even at 90% volume, the sound is loud, but not overwhelming, which I would have expected at that level).

I have turned the TV internal speakers off at this point, and the volume slider via the Sonos App and the TV display are in sync as they should connected via HDMI ARC, but the sound volume is a lot less than expected coming from the Beam with 2 Play1s as Surrounds.

Watching this thread as it develops.
I have the same issue using the HDMI-ARC connection to my Samsung TV. Interested to see how this one plays out. Also,how do I submit diagnostics?
Oh and it shows pcm in my settings
I am having the exact same problem and have spent the last 1+ hour troubleshooting over the phone with no solution. The conclusion was that there is a disparity with EQ levels in which my TV (Samsung UEH6400) delivers audio to the BEAM compared to what I play at source i.e. Spotify etc. I was also informed that there is a beta feature that alows for Advanced EQ settings that may resolve this in the future.

My concern is that I have a very expensive Music Streaming speaker (I already have a Play 5) that can't output sound near the levels of my internal TV speakers. This is extremely disappointing and it looks like my only option is to return the beam and get a refund.

Before I do this are there any estimates as to when this advanced EQ features will be delivered or are there other known fixes that will resolve this issue and a delivery date?
*Stupid question*

But how are you all getting numbers showing your volume? Before I got the beam, whenever I changed the TV volume, it showed it in numbers which I liked. As I normally aimed for 10 as the perfect volume.

But since adding the beam and two play 1’s when I change the volume on my TV I don’t get any numbers, just an up or down arrow flashing depending which direction I’m going so I have to guess/listen if it sounds about right.
Userlevel 5
Badge +12
*Stupid question*

But how are you all getting numbers showing your volume? Before I got the beam, whenever I changed the TV volume, it showed it in numbers which I liked. As I normally aimed for 10 as the perfect volume.

But since adding the beam and two play 1’s when I change the volume on my TV I don’t get any numbers, just an up or down arrow flashing depending which direction I’m going so I have to guess/listen if it sounds about right.

This is correct behavior for Samsung TVs and arc.
Maybe someone at Sonos missed to test the Beam with Samsung?
Dave.....I get numbers, mostly, but they jump in increments of 2? No idea!

Have tried playing with TV settings, no idea what I am doing, but it may have worked on my Sony Bravia????

Go to settings/ system settings/ sound/ advanced/ set Dolby Digital plus out to off.

Setup// AV setup/ Audio Out to fixed/ Digital Audio out to Auto1/ HDMI signal format to HDMI3 enhanced.

Absolutely clueless but it may have given me control of volume???
Suggy.. is your problem with low volume resolved? I had the issue when I setup the beam. I played around with the sound settings a bit. it seems setting the headphone/audio out in Sony android tv to Variable then increasing the volume to 30 and then reverting audio output to Fixed may have resolved my issue. I am seeing improvements now on the volume. I am getting desired volume at low setting in the remote now
Userlevel 1
Badge +1
I wonder if this issue is to do with dd5.1 sources? [...] At lower volumes parts of the mix such as quiet voices or music are just way too low. But using might mode or speech enhancement doesn’t entirely fix it as both introduce significant downsides. Tiny voices or in the case of night mode removal of all noticeable bass.

I find that with 5.1 sources the sound bar just isn’t balanced especially at low volumes. Anyone else experienced this?

Exactly this. Switching the output (from either Netflix or from the TV HDMI settings) to a stereo signal immediately delivers a more balanced mix with clear voices.

With 5.1 I get an overly dramatic mix with massive emphasis on special effects and music, but barely audible voices. To make out what people are saying the volume needs to be cranked up so high I'm afraid my neighbors will start complaining soon.

I'm thinking about getting a pair of Play 1's for surround but not before this 5.1 issue is fixed.

do you guys have the balance volume issue for every video?
i have the same behaviour since Version 9 but not for all Videos
seems to be ralated with
https://en.community.sonos.com/home-theater-228993/sonos-beam-dd5-1-problem-6810138
Userlevel 1
Badge +1
well, there a lot different issues with volume for the Beam, maybe related to Version 9 like in my case.
to watch movies is almost a nightmare with DD...
i did troubleshooting and everythings leads to Sonos and Version 9, i wish it would not the case but thats it.

my experince with the beam regarding HDMI ARC is not good, so i am using optical ,might be als an root cause in some cases.

but the TV just passes the audio signal to Sonos and they are processing it and if the sounds is good for tv speakers, something is wrong with the Sonos processing ot whatever.

maybe the support for some TVs has changed in Version 9 or whatever, but Sonos Support is not really able to get the issue and says, its normal for action movies....yes, but not this extreme and fact, before Version 9 i had no Volume issues.

i guess we have to live with it and hepfully with newer version solved.
Hi,
I also have some volume issues, but I'm almost sure the differences/problems are in my TV box (orange 4K box):

Before changing my setup with the beam I used a yamaha rxv3900 and already the volume needed to be quite UP using this tv box (between -35 and -30db), my previous (SFR) box with the same setup needed between -60db and -55db.

So I suppose it's the same the the beam.

The difference now is DD vs stero: some tv channels are in stereo and the Orange TV Box send a very low volume thru hdmi (and in this case the volume is controllable with my orange remote, and it's low event at 100%), and some other channel (or netflix app in the orange box) are in DD5.1, and DD5.1 is sent directly to the beam, in this case the volume is at lot more louder and is not changed by the orange tv remote.

So for me it's not a sonos/beam problem, but more a orange problem: they did not any uniformization in volume between channels and the stero volume is by default very low (and I did not found any option to change this setting).
[the orange tv box audio is set to HDMI/Home Theater 5.1 mode]
Userlevel 4
Badge +1
Same problem here. Ran my LG OLED B6V with playbar flawless but with the beam the volume at Netflix and Other streamingservices are way to high when switching sources from tv. So when the kids switch source, se all go nuts.

Not impressed with the playbar at all Sonos. Got my 100 days returnpolicy to lean at..thinking of using it.
Same issue. Just sent a diagnostic. Was the issue solved for anyone? Low, embarassing volume on TV while plays great on any streaming music service...
Userlevel 4
Badge +1
Check the volume on your satellitebox, mine was in the lower part, thats what caused the diffrence in volume here.. (shame on me)
Userlevel 4
Badge +1
That remote is never used, its in the closet. So i wonder what happend..
I am having the same issue with TV / Netflix / Plex being much lower than when playing music through streaming.

It's very annoying and scaring the sh## out of everyone when switching sources.

Can you please look more in to this Sonos?
If not, I might return this product..

I have a Philips TV.
Same issue here. I have a Samsung TV and using my Beam with HDMI ARC. Volume on Spotify and radio is great, but when I turn on my TV, the volume of the Beam is very low and I have to turn it up to like 80%. When I turn off my TV and turn the radio back on, I scares the sh*t out of me! Please fix this Sonos!
Are you sure it isn’t your TV that is doing this? I’m not having the same issue with my LG TV... surely the Beam can only output the signal that the TV sends to it. If it was the Beam at fault, then surely everyone, me included, would all have the same problem, my volumes are the same when using PCM stereo and the volume is just 'slightly' louder when using 5.1 DD surround sound, but that’s because my Surround Speakers LS & RS are added into the mix, but my Beam volume level is there or thereabouts the same, whether I’m watching TV or Netflix or playing Spotify/Amazon Music on the Beam.

In terms of Music, I can increase the volume of the surrounds by switching their settings from 'Ambient' to 'FULL', that obviously will increase the volume from those, but it only applies to a Sonos/Alexa music source.

Perhaps speak to Samsung Support about your issue and see what they say. There maybe some way to increase the TV audio output volume via your HDMI-ARC port, to bring it into line with the Spotify audio volume.

Thanks for the reply. I've checked my TV audio settings. The output is set out "External speakers", which makes all the other settings greyed out, except PCM / Dolby. When I switch from PCM to Dolby, the volume is higher, but still not in line. All other audio settings are greyed out.

I will contact Samsung support to see if they can help me.
Userlevel 5
Badge +12
Hi it seems I have the same volume problem between TV and music source with the Beam.
For TV I have to increase volume to 50%.
When I switch to music listening, 50% of full volume is crazy.
I have the same problem.

Sonos Beam
Sony Bravia KD43XE8005
Virgin Tivo V6
Apple TV

All have erratic and radically differing volume levels - even within one source. i.e. if I watch a channel on Tivo on volume level 10, then watch another channel or a recording on Tivo, it can be that I need to turn up to volume level to 70-80.

Surely this is wrong, and fundamental - why has Sonos not designed their premium product to just plug and play? Do I really have to trouble shoot and become an audio expert on behalf of Sonos?

I have managed to slightly balance the sound by setting the Sony TV digital audio out to PCM and also the Tivo V6 dolby digital to PCM, but there is still unacceptable volume variance between channels; and also the volume still needs to be set high.

What's the fix Sonos? and why should there even be a fix?

I've been on messenger with Sonos, but they just keep asking for diagnostics, which I'll continue with for a while.

I've contacted my supplier who has said they will accept a return and will refund. Just seems a shame this product does not work.