Sonos Beam low volume

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

58 replies

First post here but I may have solved this issue, at least with my non android Sony Bravia TV. I have just got my beam and found that I could fill my room with sound at 50% volume when listening to music but had to have it set to 50% to just hear the TV. I have tried every setting in the sound menu and nothing made a difference. I then checked all the other settings and found my dynamic range under digital set up audio settings was set to compressed by the factory. I changed this to standard and a significant increase in volume was immediately apparent without me touching any volume controls.
TLDR try this: settings--> digital set up--> audio set up--> dynamic range--> make sure it is set to standard rather than compressed. Hope this helps someone with a non android Sony Bravia TV.
I was having a similar issue, seems obvious but have you checked if there’s a volume limit set for the room?

Settings > Room Settings > (name of room where the beam is) > volume limit.

Mine was at 70% and I had to have my Bravia at nearly full volume when using my Xbox. Now I’ve removed its fine at about half way.
My Samsung TV starts with the internal speakers, and after around 10 seconds it switches to the Beam. However, the Beam starts at 0 volume and I always have to turn it up manually. Is it possible to set a default start volume?
TV is a Samsung UE48H6715, from around 2015. Its connected with HDMI-ARC.
Badge
I have the same low volume issue with my Vizio TV and Beam. TV speakers alone at volume 20 souds as loud as Beam at volume 50. CEC is on. Dolby Digital is the TV sound output. Streaming music from Beam (Alexa) is about the same volume level as the TV, maybe a bit louder. However XBOX game sound connected to the TV, then to Beam, is really loud. Have to turn the volume down to less than 20 when playing XBOX, but around 50 or louder when watching TV. I'll fiddle with the TV and Sonos config some more, but if I can't fix this, I may have to return the Beam.
I wonder if this issue is to do with dd5.1 sources? I’m finding if I watch a movie on sky in 5.1 or via the blu day played on my Xbox that the volume needs to get to a certain point before all channels sound balanced. Once you get there it sounds great but is just too loud for the little one asleep upstairs.

At lower volumes parts of the mix such as quiet voices or music are just way too low. But using might mode or speech enhancement doesn’t entirely fix it as both introduce significant downsides. Tiny voices or in the case of night mode removal of all noticeable bass.

I find that with 5.1 sources the sound bar just isn’t balanced especially at low volumes. Anyone else experienced this?
I agree. DD 5.1 sounds fantastic at medium + sound setting. I have a 6 year old JVC TV using beam via optical (no ARC on TV). At lower settings doesn’t do Beam justice.
I wonder if this issue is to do with dd5.1 sources? I’m finding if I watch a movie on sky in 5.1 or via the blu day played on my Xbox that the volume needs to get to a certain point before all channels sound balanced. Once you get there it sounds great but is just too loud for the little one asleep upstairs.

At lower volumes parts of the mix such as quiet voices or music are just way too low. But using might mode or speech enhancement doesn’t entirely fix it as both introduce significant downsides. Tiny voices or in the case of night mode removal of all noticeable bass.

I find that with 5.1 sources the sound bar just isn’t balanced especially at low volumes. Anyone else experienced this?
I have same issue with LG TV. There is no way to adjust the centre channel or left and rights to balance them. This is an issue for 5.1 audio. Some TVs and sound bars have a dynamic sound setting which balances the the quiet and loud effects so there is not such a contrast. This should be in the App but is not I'm forever turning sound up and down while watching a action movie. ?