Answered

Sonos Arc Muddy/Bottoming out Bass

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

1406 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge +3

I’m not returning it, because if it is the hardware, Sonos has to replace or fix the unit under waranty.

Userlevel 5
Badge +4

Received this email today… perhaps this could be some good news to those of us experiencing the issues or at least to those who are hearing the issue. 

I have been in touch with Sonos and they are sending me a new device to test to see if the same issue is happening with it.  I’m not holding my breath with the replacement device but they guaranteed that it would be a brand new device and I’ll need to just ship my old one back within 5-7 business days or risk being charged for the new device as well. 

I’m more hopeful to be selected for the new Arc beta testing this email indicates.  :fingers_crossed:

Userlevel 6
Badge +11

The rtings review should be interesting, I notice it has now been purchased:

https://www.rtings.com/soundbar/suggestions

Userlevel 3
Badge +2

I’m not returning it, because if it is the hardware, Sonos has to replace or fix the unit under waranty.

If it is hardware while warranty would surely apply it would take an extremely long time. They would have to change the drivers, test them to make sure they work across multiple volume levels and frequencies at which point your unit is no longer new but refurbished. It should not cost $799 but $599 at most. If you’re shelling out that type of money you’re expecting to get your moneys worth. You can get a bar and sub with atmos from say LG for this type of money. AND if they have to develop a new driver entirely then the product has to get pulled all together. I shouldn’t have to purchase a sub for a unit that costs $799 and supposed to work as advertised.

Userlevel 4
Badge +1

I 💯 % trust in the Sonos engineers that they will remedy the Sonos ARC problem. We don’t live in a perfect world, and these things do happen. Remember, trust and be patient! I love my ARC, and I know it’s going to sound better than ever.

I hope that you are correct but please stop making excuses for Sonos.  

Sonos deserves every return and bad review that is published for rushing an $800 product to market prematurely that sounds like a $200 soundbar.  They could have waited to release it until they worked out the kinks but they chose not to.  Maybe Sonos will fix/improve the Arc over time (and I hope they do), but there are no guarantees in life.  

Your “trust and be patient” advice is bad advice for people that can’t afford to blow $800 on the HOPE that Sonos improves the Arc.  Again, I hope that they do, but I sure as heck wouldn’t sit around “trusting” that they will while I watched my return window slip away.

Userlevel 5
Badge +2

This whole debacle is just exhausting. And now that Sonos fired the only person who was seemingly working to fix it and communicate status to those of us that purchased the Arc based on Sonos’ prior reputation, I don’t have much hope of it getting resolved. My arc is going back. 

Absolutely exhausting, certainly not worth the for an issue that has been mostly resolved. Still on the fence 

Userlevel 4
Badge +4

Will check the update in a bit, slightly confused as the app updated then checking for updates to Sonos said no update was required and ‘about my system’ also reports it’s on 12.0.1, so not sure what happened but it definitely didn’t update or run the process to the speakers.

I believe it relates more with the Arc hardware build, if you go into the System-->About My System, what does your Arc build report back with?

Mine is updated from the weekend and we had to make sure we were on build 58178180.  I believe 12.0.1 is the iOS or Android app update but the build/firmware update for the Arc is probably more critical to verify that you are indeed on the updated build/firmware.

Oh you are right. Yeah the build will relate to the firmware on the Arc. I checked and after the update I am on the same firmware as you. @mattadamsone , @pyro225 , @MerlinNL  confirm your Arc was updated to this new build . Look under the Arc in about my system there will be a build number. My build for the sonos one and a the top of the app is different (58178190) vs the 58178180 i see under Arc

Userlevel 5
Badge +2

Please have a look at this video:

Seems like the initial problem has been fixed BUT there are new issues with the bass at different frequencies.

@Ryan S please look at this. I confirmed the rattling sound at close to 100% on my arc. The previous issue was fixed but at 100% 40Hz still has this new rattling. Also, on my sonos one I definitely hear some wobbling (less bad than on Arc) at 40Hz at a range of volumes. So seems like there’s still work to be done. Definitely an improvement but bring this up with your team please

What concerns me the most now is bass behavior between 70 Hz and 90 Hz. Going back to 40 Hz after that was awful. DSP is definitely going crazy here LOL. I tested these tones on my HomePod and they are perfect as they should be. 

Yeah definitely they need to work on this. I now think this is a S2 issue because I noticed weirdness on my sonos one. 

Can confirm. It is prevalent on higher quality sources such as Dolby Atmos. 

Userlevel 5
Badge +4

My replacement arrives tomorrow.  I’m not banking on any difference but was also recommended after numerous support calls/emails that we swap it out.

Already made a test? 

Out for delivery.  Once it arrives I’ll plug it in and test it out right away and update here.

Userlevel 4
Badge +4

Could someone actually post a video of the issue? I got mine yesterday and doesn’t seem to be having this issue but I am not too sure. Also what is the hardware version for those with the issue, you can find that in the app under System/About My System? Thank you in advance.

Did you watch this? It sounds good 90% of the time, but when loud movie scenes or songs hit certain frequencies it sounds like garbage.

Yes I have watched it. I also did a 40hz test on Youtube and it didn’t seem to have the static/crackling sound that he has in the video. I am skeptical though, that’s why I wanted someone to post a video of their unit while having this issue and the hardware version.

Listen, this is a DSP bug it’s obvious by the fact that the software issue made it change and now show up at 50Hz and when switching tones it acts differently. However, this is not how you’re meant to use the product and I wouldn’t blare low freq tones at full volume for a long time on the soundbar.

@Sash A, there are still some issues but it is mostly at higher volumes (mine has the rattle at 40Hz only at close to 100% volume. I will never reach this volume during normal listening.

@cowmilkcandy , I won’t be returning mine. Here is my reasoning. If this is a DSP bug, can be fixed in more time and more bug fixes. Remember bug fixes tend to introduce other bugs especially in this high pressure environment (they released a patch in 1 week). If there is a bad batch, SONOS knows it. And once support gets back to normal (come on the pandemic clearly hit them, and all of us, hard) they will no doubt replace your speaker if that is the case. What I see as a remote almost impossible option, is SONOS keeping the arc with bugs, not fixing things and refusing to exchange the “bad batch” that would be asking for a class action lawsuit. So as of now my arc is 90% there. Sounds good at less than 60% volume and sounds excellent in movies and TV so I am a happy customer. However, i definitely want them to iron out all issues and bugs and if mine is defective ( I did get some rattling at hjigh volume test tones) I want it replaced. Does it have to be this week? or this month? I particularly can wait.

My return window is arriving soon. The added sub takes away some of the shortcomings. However if the issues are not getting fixed, should I keep it or return it? I don't want to be stuck with a flawed product for which I paid a good amount of money. Should I return it and get a beam? 

I’m in the same predicament, but already made up my mind: mine stays. I like the overall setup (arc, sub, play ones) too much to even think about waiting a few months to get a new one, and only if they fix it. 

I can create the conditions for highlighting the problem (turn off sub and surrounds and play songs with strong bass at high volume). But, if I’m honest, I only hear it if I go looking for it, it’s not something I experienced in my 3 weeks of normal usage (TV and music with sub and surrounds on).

So as much as it irks me to have paid a steep and full price for a potentially flawed product, I’m still happy I managed to grab one when I did (purchased the last in-store available one from Best Buy at the time, no stock anywhere since). At this point I really hope it's a software issue that will be fixed eventually, as I’ll keep it.

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

The above might be the case perhaps, but there are plenty of reviews out there suggesting that the Arc has such good bass that there’s no need for a Sub. All of the recent user reports make a mockery of this. I agree that a Play 5 might have slightly better bass but a £800 Soundbar should be better then this. One of the  most impressive things about even the smallest Sonos speakers is how much decent bass they put out for their size. 

Userlevel 4
Badge +4

Hopefully they wouldnt say something like shouldn’t expect our product to produce certain tones at 100% without the speaker making odd sounds.

Idk man I tested the test tone on my sonos one and it made weird sounds at certain volumes. I think people are nitpicking now. But even if it does make some weird sounds at 80 percent volume I will never reach that and can wait for a fix. If it is a hardware issue you bet I will ask for a replacement later down the road.

People in this forum are hilarious sometimes, yall think the playbar and other sonos products didnt get firmware updates that improved the sound signature significantly. Many were complaining about the Sonos AMP and they have been patching that changing the sound signature constantly to improve it (some even say its too many updates because they have to slightly retune it). Playbar also got a big firmware update months toa year after release in which they improved the sound quite a bit (Sonos said they weren’t 100% satisfied with the sound on launch and retuned things). I for one am invested on Sonos (own many products) and think on 99 percent of cases the Arc sounds great. Movies just blow me away. Go find another soundbar that sounds this good for the price and has Atmos etc…. Samsung soundbars are great but are very pricey as well, some even pricier than the Arc.

Userlevel 4
Badge +4

Hi all - since the last update seemed to have fixed nothing I thought I’d do a direct comparison of my Playbase and the arc … here is the video… and for those of you who think the Arc sounds greats can you not hear the difference?

Userlevel 2
Badge

I ordered directly from Sonos here in the Netherlands, and having 100 day return option enables me to wait and see for some time. For now, I do recognize many of the complaints mentioned here. In my Arc + 2x One 5.1 setup I have the feeling the surround One's are generating most of the bass in the setup. I already sold my Playbar unfortunately, so I can no longer compare, but in general I have the feeling it had a much bigger ‘oomph’ compared to the Arc, where reviews prior to the release or just after were all cheering about the better bass… The overall soundstage of the Arc is better though…

Userlevel 5
Badge +4

Thanks for all the great details everyone! We really appreciate what you’ve shared so far. The engineering team is looking into this right now and they’ve been able to reproduce it using your feedback. They’re working on a software fix for it now.

I’ll let you know when there’s more to share. I don’t have a timeline right now as they’re just getting started, but hopefully it won’t be long.

As of now, we don’t need more details on this one, but I’ll let you know if the team determines they need some more data.

Thanks again!

You guys rock!

Userlevel 3
Badge +4

I would image Sonos custom service is overloaded at the moment. Not that this is an excuse. At some point they need to release some sort of announcement, even to the forum and sonos community. Something. I believe this could be quite damaging to their reputation if they can not get ahead of it. 

Userlevel 3
Badge

if y'all are so upset and think this is unacceptable, then return it. period. mistakes happen, if you stretched your budget so thin buying a luxury item you probably didn't need to get it anyways. this thing has been out for 5 days. give them some time and they will fix it. check back in a month and buy it again, easy.

Do you really think a company as large as Sonos, selling an ultra-premium product, should be let off the hook with “mistakes happen”. This isn’t a lemonade stand...it’s not about the money, it’s about the blatant mismanagement of a company. The $800 soundbar is just a start for most of us who have thousands sunk into the ecosystem. 5 days for a fix isn’t the frustrating part, allowing what is arguably the most hyped product every released by the company out the door broken is.

Userlevel 3
Badge +2

THIS is what surprises me the most. Wouldn’t the standard test for a speaker involve going through a test program with all the possible frequencies, recording the response and checking if everything is alright?

This assumes that the firmware used on the production line is the same as used at home. Units always update at installation time. If the home firmware introduces the issue, the production line test will be fine.

I am not sure I follow. Why would there be a discrepancy between production line firmware and firmware approved by Sonos to go to production. There should be 0 discrepancies going into production. They don’t work on two separate fimwares. If Sonos approves software/firmware for production which means it was supposedly tested to work that build goes into the units. Nothing should be pushed to production without testing.

Userlevel 4
Badge +1

Everyone know that sonos will continue to improve Arc and tweak the sound for a long time. This is just the start I understand the frustration and that some people are not willing to risk it. But they just finished development on their new soundbar. Now it is all about improving and bringing new features to us. Thats what most of the team focuses on. This email makes sense to me. This is a weird time at sonos and in the whole world for sure

To be fair, we do NOT “know” that Sonos is going to tweak and/or improve the sound of the Arc for a long time.  At best, we can say “everyone HOPES” Sonos will continue to tweak and improve the Arc.  But there are no guarantees in life.  Laying off a large chunk of their support staff after prematurely releasing a half-baked “flagship” product is not a great way to inspire confidence in the consumer.

I mean they have an excellent track record with supporting their products. For years and years.

also laying off staff? Have you read the news? So many companies going through this.

yeah it’s clear they were pressured to release the arc before it was truly ready. But my comment is more about their track record and how they will continue to work on it. As I said there’s a risk this doesn’t happen and it won’t be enough for some. 

Yes, we are all hoping that’s the case.  But if I bought a new car, realized it was plagued with issues after I drove it home and then found out that the manufacturer closed most of their service centers, I wouldn’t exactly have a warm fuzzy feeling either.  That’s all I’m saying. Hopefully Sonos steps up and makes the Arc sound like a flagship product - and soon.  In the mean time, they deserve every return and bad review for rushing the product to market before it was ready.

I would image Sonos custom service is overloaded at the moment. Not that this is an excuse. At some point they need to release some sort of announcement, even to the forum and sonos community. Something. I believe this could be quite damaging to their reputation if they can not get ahead of it. 

They’ve seriously disappointed me as a customer. There’s other options out there for home/multi-room audio that won’t lock you into their ecosystem. I’ve been looking into alternatives the last few days. I realize that might sound crazy but I just don’t like how this has been handled. They’re supposed to be the premium solution and this doesn’t feel premium. 

Yea this doesn’t seem like they are able to support the hardware they are selling. I can’t believe they haven’t given any updates.

Userlevel 5
Badge +9

Hi folks, we greatly appreciate your patience. Upon checking the issue with the Arc Bass muddied without satellites or a Sub is no longer occurring. Thanks for understanding and let us know if there’s anything else we can help you with.

I'm assuming you are referring to post 12.0.4 app update results? 

Please clarify. 

I think it’s just an app update but not system update...

Userlevel 6
Badge +6

Exactly. And Sonos had 7 YEARS between Playbar and Arc. We were back in the days of iPhone 5S when Playbar was launched lol.

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

Yes, we are all hoping that’s the case.  But if I bought a new car, realized it was plagued with issues after I drove it home and then found out that the manufacturer closed most of their service centers, I wouldn’t exactly have a warm fuzzy feeling either.  That’s all I’m saying. Hopefully Sonos steps up and makes the Arc sound like a flagship product - and soon.  In the mean time, they deserve every return and bad review for rushing the product to market before it was ready.

+1 Sonos has a track record for adding features, new streaming services, tweaks to the app etc. But they are in uncharted territory with the ARC boondoggle. Don't accept a flawed, keeping it and hoping for the best seems like a terrible decision imo. 

Userlevel 3
Badge +4

Quick Update as I have not written in a while. After engaging support they finally agreed to replace my Arc. I got a discount so I don’t want to lose it.

They will be shipping me the new one before I return the old one, if the new one sounds better I will do a comparison and report back.