Answered

Sonos Arc - Metallic Sound

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

1017 replies

Badge

I don’t know if I’d want to buy this much in hardware from a company that just axed a large number of people that might have been supporting said hardware.

Userlevel 1
Badge

I true played twice using an iPhone X, the first time I had some setup issues with the arc so decided to redo whilst ensuring to wave above the arc and this yielded a massively better result. Overall sound is more than satisfactory and miles ahead of the beam, though curiously deactivating the sub makes the arc sound pretty terrible, so not sure what this is about as its phenomenal with sub and surrounds

I commented about that on my dedicated thread about TruePlay, https://en.community.sonos.com/troubleshooting-228999/trueplay-tuning-a-variety-of-speakers-playbar-arc-beam-with-newer-iphones-results-in-tinny-sound-6843248

I agree that waving the affected iPhones directly over the Arc or esp. the side tweeters results in making the TruePlay tuning sound a bit better, but that’s just a workaround of forcing the iPhone to sample a bunch of treble from small tweeters. It compromises the overall fidelity of TruePlay tuning and still doesn’t sound as “correct” as TruePlay tuning with an unaffected device like a 2nd gen iPad Pro.

Maybe so, obviously I haven’t tried on an older device, but I can’t say I’m hearing an overly ‘bright’ midrange deficient presentation in any way, which perhaps is more worrying; as surely points to a hardware problem on certain batches?

No, I don’t think it indicates a batched problem. If one is correctly following the TruePlay tuning instructions, you aren’t supposed to wave the phone directly above the Arc. When you do so above or to the sides of the sound bar, you are basically aiming the microphone at treble-only tweeters that generate surround effects. That’s basically just counteracting and masking the newer iPhone microphones attempting to filter out treble.

I tried this process with an affected phone and can confirm, purposely bringing the mic closer to the tweeters during the TruePlay process does get rid of some of the bright tinny nature, but it’s still not the same as the TruePlay improvements you get with TruePlay tuning using one of the unaffected devices.

In your situation, I'd probably suggest turning off TruePlay and just using the "balance surrounds” feature to equalize, rather than the unscientific approach of forcing TruePlay to listen to some treble up close.

I have tried turning off trueplay and balancing as you suggest, but it always sounds massively better with it active. By saying waving above arc, I meant for a brief time during the process, perhaps 5 seconds or so

Yeah that’s unfortunate. I don’t think this has to do with hardware batches. I have also seen that waving the device above the Arc to capture the up-firing tweeters just for a few seconds does balance the soudn a bit with an affecting phone. But it still is nowhere near as proper sounding as tuning with an unaffected older device.

Could it be better than TruePlay Off? Very possible, but this adds such an unscientific factor in that I don't think we should consider this a solution. How much you bring the TruePlay tuning mic within close range of the soundbar has dramatic effects on the end result of the tuning, both for the better and for the worse.

Userlevel 5
Badge +13

Diagnostic 2126649200

Was watching Netflix via TV

Switched to SkyQ via HDMI and very harsh treble and  lots of ssssssss ssss

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

I asked Sonos support whether I should consider an exchange (thinking maybe I have a faulty unit), but they advised I just get a refund. Like people have said I think this is just how the arc was designed and intended to be. Not sure they can/will ‘fix’ it. Either way, it also gives me a headache so don't think I can put up with it for much longer. Bit gutted really. 

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

Just a follow-up to my last comment. I have noticed that the dialog sounds more metallic when playing a movie in Atmos. It's also more pronounced on certain apps. For instance. Disney + has a really big problem with low audio. It sounds like they are over compressing the audio. So I have to turn the volume up +10 more than on other apps. There is a big difference in the dialog with too much treble when playing a Disney + Marvel or Star Wars movie in Atmos. There is still a small treble problem when playing the same movie in Dolby Digital plus, without atmos. The metallic sound is reduced when not using Atmos. So far the majority of audio problems seem to be from certain apps, especially disney +.

I'm curious what streaming apps are people in this thread using to test the Arc? 

Are there more who had the courage to send back and dare to buy a new Arc?  is that the way to solve it maybe I should look into it.

I sent mine back with 5 days to go.  Sticking with my Playbar for now, but I just ordered a B&O Beosound Stage.   From reviews I've read everyone seems to really love it.  Quite pricey though.

Will be interesting to see how it fares to current top tier soundbars. My only concern is that it favors wall-mount vs TV stand.

Badge

I would have thought that there’s perhaps a legal/moral responsibility these days to not be too far over the 85dB limit, but I’m certainly no expert in this area, but would say if the audio-output is not being ‘limited’ much below that level then the speaker is probably working as expected.

I was going to say if the limiter ‘clearly’ kicked-in earlier and noticeably below that volume-level to perhaps go back to Support and see what they may think about it.

Another thought occurred to me aswell…

Is the Arc in your case wall-mounted by any chance? If so, see this YT video…

Below that level it is absolutely marvelous, i am just stumped by drastic change in sound signature at higher volumes.

No Arc for me, i am talking about a recently purchased single Five for the living room. I do, however, have a full HT setup with Beam in the other room and didn’t experience something like since for years of having it.

Thank you very much for the tips!

I'm so glad this thread exists. I thought I was going crazy. Just spent an hour with support, and they're going to send me a replacement. Has anyone actually had success with a replacement or is the product just bad?

Userlevel 2
Badge

This is my non audio-programmer brain speaking, but when I put my ear up against the Arc, the center channel alone is handling lead vocals in music. To get music mixed for true stereo to do that, there must be processing in place. I wonder if it’s this processing + an overall tuning for movie voices that has lead to such a emphasis on the upper range.  I’m so curious to hear what the Arc would sound like with a “Stereo Mode” feature like I’ve had with other soundbars.

Userlevel 3
Badge +1

After reading all the info in this topic I think we can come to this conclusion:

1. the high frequencies are indeed “boosted up” (we are not crazy)
  2. this can be corrected by updating the trueplay software

Two questions remain:

1. is this the way Sonos want's it te be?
  2. will there be a software fix (treuplay-fix)?

Again; @sonos please respond to this subject!!

If you don’t respond we have to assume there will never be a fix (and have to send our Arc's back) and possible never buy a Sonos product again or advise Sonos to others.

(I'm getting frustated; not because of the Arc’s problems, but of the lack of communication from Sonos)

Userlevel 6
Badge +11

‘Premium’ cables also tend to be fatter, less flexible and come with bigger HDMI connectors, and you may find they don’t physically fit, especially when space is tight behind a wall mounted TV/Soundbar.

I’ve played with my ARC+sub every way possible and the mids are still lousy with music. The Arc is tinny and hollow, sort of sounds like a 80-90’s portable stereo (not the boom box). It get’s worse the higher the volume, to get some sort of lower mids you have to turn it up, then the sound seems to get muddled like the ARC is overwhelmed. 
Source seems to play a part; Music off my phone via AirPlay isn’t not good, music (XM, Amazon) through the Sonos app is eh, same with music off YouTube off my TV’s app. It’s a sound bar, I’m not expecting rattle the house music, but this is really poor, my truck’s OEM stereo sounds better, not kidding.

The ARC (w/sub) is pretty good with movies and tv shows, unfortunately not $800+$700 good. I wanted the clean wireless look in my house and could live with this being tv/movie only, but not at the cost. I’m going to return them and maybe if Sonos corrects this I’ll repurchase. A broader EQ would have been a help, but maybe that would have just shown a design problem instead of leaving people to wonder. 

Sonos.

A lot of people have report this problem.  I have until 31 Jan to return my to Amazon.  I really do not want to do so.  TV is okay (sort of), but streamed music, sadly, is not.

Please respond so I know if this will be fixed.

Thank you,

Are you using Trueplay? If so Peter Pee has quantified the sound profile changes depending on which IOS device you use to perform the tuning on.  The results can vary massively & I have started a topic here with links to his video. Below is the link to the new thread, I hope this can help.

Trueplay with newer iPhones causing issues?

Userlevel 2
Badge

And just to add. I’m setting my Beam right next to the Arc for side by side testing and across the board, there is a BIG difference in sound on all sources when you compare the Beam and the Arc. In every case, the low end is deeper, smoother on the Beam. The midrange issues I hear are unique to the Arc

I’m going to join in on that party. I’m setting up my Beam now to test. 

Userlevel 3
Badge +2

I’m leaning towards sources causing this issue and how they were recorded.

Userlevel 2
Badge

For Arc + Sub gen 3 to isolate the issue being trueplay, I tried re-tuning using my iphone 5, honestly there were some improvements but overall I am still disappointed and it does not look like Sonos will be able to fix all these with software updates. I am considering returning this and infact waiting for vizio elevate and probably will give that a chance this time. Since Sonos has not replied to my emails through support and they seem to have buried themself and seem lost. 

Userlevel 3
Badge +2

@rick.f in case you were unaware Ryan S has 'retired' from here, along with others from Sonos support I believe.

Userlevel 1
Badge +1

I sold it, and bought a pair of B&W 702 S2 .. sounds a bit better. thanks Sonos for the support!

Userlevel 4
Badge +6

I asked Sonos support whether I should consider an exchange (thinking maybe I have a faulty unit), but they advised I just get a refund. Like people have said I think this is just how the arc was designed and intended to be. Not sure they can/will ‘fix’ it. Either way, it also gives me a headache so don't think I can put up with it for much longer. Bit gutted really. 

I am very hopeful you are wrong, and that the sound signature will be updated and fixed. To my ears, the Arc is just too harsh, with ‘S’ sounds too pronounced. Right now, I prefer to have faith. Let’s keep this thread active to make sure it gets the proper attention. Arc should have enough hardware to sound much better.

Userlevel 3
Badge +3

Hello all,

While we are aware that some are experiencing or have experienced audio issues with their Arc,we are working on it but I do not have an update for you at this time.

If you are experiencing a thin, tinny quality in your audio that I see that some are describing as “cheap radio” sound, I would encourage you to test playback through a streaming music service of your choice and then make an audio or recording on your mobile phone or camera. Then reach out to us directly so that we can log the issue and evaluate the units on an individual level.

For those that have already exchanged your units, did this resolve the audio quality issue? 

@Jean C. - I chatted with support this afternoon, submitted diagnostics, and was told there were no problems they could detect and I should contact Sales via phone. I mostly hear the tinny audio with dialogue. What should I do since chat support didn’t ask for any more information.

Mine is going back soon I’ve bought a full 7.2.4 system with proper speakers so this arc is going back 😁

All you needed was the Sonos Sub and surrounds, problem solved. 👍🏻

Userlevel 5
Badge +13

Hello all,

While we are aware that some are experiencing or have experienced audio issues with their Arc,we are working on it but I do not have an update for you at this time.

If you are experiencing a thin, tinny quality in your audio that I see that some are describing as “cheap radio” sound, I would encourage you to test playback through a streaming music service of your choice and then make an audio or recording on your mobile phone or camera. Then reach out to us directly so that we can log the issue and evaluate the units on an individual level.

For those that have already exchanged your units, did this resolve the audio quality issue? 

@Jean C. i have submitted the diagnostics as per @Scott - Sonos suggestion, I also have a video example recorded on my phone I could send that shows all the sibilance that is quite fatiguing on the ears.

happy to send any examples or info over.

I am lending my voice to this too. I have a return expiring January 16. I am lending my voice to this issue too. I am experiencing some Sibilance or harsh timbre is speech with “S”, “Sh”, “t” etc. This is further ear-piercing at loud volumes. I am hoping a software update will fix this otherwise I’d look elsewhere. My Sonos arc is a week old.

Userlevel 1
Badge

I’m in the same boat, my friend. For now, those without an army of iPhones lying around can try the technique of gently waving their phone around the tops and sides of the Arc which definitely can go a long way to helping. I tried using this technique and honestly it took me 30-40 minutes of retrying to get a tonal balance that I liked. It’s really frustratingly imprecise and unscientific, and the opposite of the selling point of TruePlay. 

But as you said, in the meantime, if investing this bit of effort gets you satisfactory sound, I think it’s better than sitting around with a soundbar that sounds like a pair of cheap beach speakers.

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

Thanks I hadn’t seen that. Hopefully they come up with something in the next couple of weeks.

I won’t wait much longer tho, I remembered they promised the google assistant would be launched when the sonos one came out and ended up taking months/years. For me, they shouldn’t be releasing and sending out products until they are ready.

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

While I’ve been waiting for something like the Arc for quite a while (product with earc, ability to use sonos sub and my existing ones as rears) the issues, lack of lpcm and non-communication regarding the issues is starting to push me in other directions.

Too bad the beam isn’t an option, but happily I’m not too deeply bought into the sonos ecosystem yet.

Userlevel 1
Badge

Just a follow-up to my last comment. I have noticed that the dialog sounds more metallic when playing a movie in Atmos. It's also more pronounced on certain apps. For instance. Disney + has a really big problem with low audio. It sounds like they are over compressing the audio. So I have to turn the volume up +10 more than on other apps. There is a big difference in the dialog with too much treble when playing a Disney + Marvel or Star Wars movie in Atmos. There is still a small treble problem when playing the same movie in Dolby Digital plus, without atmos. The metallic sound is reduced when not using Atmos. So far the majority of audio problems seem to be from certain apps, especially disney +.

I'm curious what streaming apps are people in this thread using to test the Arc? 

Are there more who had the courage to send back and dare to buy a new Arc?  is that the way to solve it maybe I should look into it.

I sent mine back with 5 days to go.  Sticking with my Playbar for now, but I just ordered a B&O Beosound Stage.   From reviews I've read everyone seems to really love it.  Quite pricey though.

Cool let me know how u like the B&O.  Almost purchased one but afraid no rear surround so movies might not be immersive enough for me.  

I see that the forum is very stopped, many have already returned everything and I think that others who have not yet done so and continue to have after seeing the technical support that is in this forum have realized that it is useless to write your problems here . There are people who have real problems ... it is not a matter of taste. Whoever believes it, go to the muddy bass forum and see the video they have uploaded, comparing a song with their playbar and with arc sonos ... it's not a matter of taste. It bothers me to hear the bright highs and the ssss so emphasized. But hey, when we return it to those who are missing, the problem ends for everyone. Sorry I thought I had an automatic corrector.

I agree, become very quiet.  Maybe some sent back and bought other brands or maybe bought Arc again and were satisfied then.  I'm waiting for my Arc after being sent back.

There’s a new batch coming into my local shop on the 14th.l am going to check it out in the shop.

Let us all know that goes?