Sonos Arc lip sync issues.

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

61 replies

Badge

I would like to confirm that thanks to this thread, I appear to have fixed my lip sync issues by selecting the Audio Pass Through on my Tv’s audio settings. My TV is a Hisense U7G.

I thought this was going to cause issues with receiving the correctly decoded sound, but I can confirm that when I check the app I am still receving Atmos or 5.1 where it is available. Although I would be interested to know if this option has an impact on the quality of the sound signal being processed…?

When I did have the issues, I found them to be more evident when using an external source e.g. chromecast, that provided the signal to the TV

I fear though that I am just one of the fortunate ones because my TV has this setting. It seems incredulous to me that so many people are have the same issue. It does make me wonder how much testing was done, and on how many different types of TVs…!

For anyone else who does not have the ‘pass through’ option, I have read and tried out the work around to switch on the motion-smoothing option your TV has. This apparently creates a slight video delay which may counter the delay you experience. I did find this worked for me to a degree.

Userlevel 6
Badge +17

Hi @richiemiami.

Welcome to the Sonos community and thanks for reaching out to us.

I would recommend the following steps so we can do a comparison of the data that will be received as well as we can check what is going on with the ARC.

Please take note of the confirmation number in each situation. this may give us a lot of information so we can check how the ARC behaves in each scenario.

Please let me know how it goes. We are always here to help.

Thanks,

Badge

Yep tried all of the correct procedures but no joy, contacted Samsung who’s reply was it’s a Sonos problem. If I can’t find a solution I will be returning the arc.

Badge

Can’t get on the link!

Userlevel 6
Badge +17

HI @kirasallypip,

Thanks for the immediate response and I would like to apologize for the inconvenience.

Please try the link one more time.

Please let me know how it goes.

Thanks,

Badge

I have had lip sync issues using skyQ with my Sonos Arc. Spent many hours trying different HDMI cables, different inputs on the tv as well as the many settings on the tv but to no avail. I have Philips OLED tv and no issues using tv apps like Netflix. (Funnily enough had no such issues with my 4 year old Samsung that was previously connected with the same set up.) I have found a workaround and it involves changing the skyQ sound output to “normal” rather than Dolby digital or Dolby digital plus. No sound delay at all but obviously losing sound quality as a result. It seems to me to be an issue with the tv processing the Dolby digital sound. Not sure if this is something that Sonos can get round with an update or Philips have to resolve but very frustrating.

Badge

Yep tried all of the correct procedures but no joy, contacted Samsung who’s reply was it’s a Sonos problem. If I can’t find a solution I will be returning the arc.

If you do not have eArc on your TV or have lip sync problems, here is the solution.  An adapter that sits between video source and Sonos arc!  it's time for Sonos to start promoting this product, for your own sake. https://www.hdfury.com/product/4k-arcana-18gbps/

I have the same issue with a Philips OLED TV. I complained to Sonos & Philips. Sonos said it was the TV. Philips sent me an upgraded TV but the issue remains. Sonos say it is the TV that is the causing the issue when trying to process the 5.1 signal. My workaround is an optical splitter which isn’t ideal. They say TV’s with eARC are preferable but I don’t know if that’s true. I have a Sonos Beam. Does the Playbar have the same issues?

Would the HDFury solve my issues?

I am contemplating asking Philips to take the TV back and I will get another TV (with eARC). But reading the forums I may get another make TV with the same issue. So frustrating.

Badge

Yes I’ve tried the tv sounds settings to zero but still the same

Badge

Yes very frustrating, in the end I weighed up was the cost and quality worth keeping the arc! No was the outcome so it’s gone back and I’ve gone back to my Sonos playbar with no problems. 

Badge

Hi just rebooted everything including sky box but no joy still the slight delay. I’ve also sent a diagnostic back

Badge

Hi yes tried that even replaced HDMI cable with no luck

Is there any Pro Person who can Give me the Ideas and Best Design for making a New mini Home Theater on my own house. I Will Be Very Grateful for your Opinion and Work.:relaxed:

Userlevel 6
Badge +17

HI @kirasallypip,

Please consider using the same HDMI cable that came with the Sonos Arc since it may be configured in a different manner than regular HDMI cable since the HDMI cable for our Sonos Home Theater Speakers are dedicated audio cable and not Audio Video HDMI cable.

Try to make sure we use the same HDMI cable from the Arc and make sure it is plugged in snug at the back of the TV and at the back of the Arc.

Thanks for your immediate response.I would love to know how it goes.

Thanks,

Depends on what the word ‘mini’ means in this case. You’ve essentially got two soundbars available, I recommend each mostly by the size of the TV set in use. If the TV is 50 inches or less, go with a Beam. If the TV is larger than 50 inches, go with the Arc. In either case, fill out the ‘room’ with a pair of One SL speakers to use as surrounds, and a subwoofer to support the movies/TV shows you watch. 

Badge

I have the original cable that came with the arc no joy! I’m thinking of going back to my playbar and returning the arc. I’ve seen lots of posts with the same problem.

Userlevel 1
Badge

I am with Ken on this. The issue for me happened before it even got the the Sonos Arc. I still think the ability to have a negative and positive sync adjustment is the simple way forward. 

this makes so much sense. My video is ahead of audio for some reason. I have Arcana and a projector. So annoying to not be able to get it in sync. 

@airbag41 . Do you mean video ahead of audio? That is surprising with the Arcana.

Userlevel 1
Badge

Yes video ahead of audio. I can’t figure it out. All was until about 3 or 4 months ago and then something happened. I suspect it is on the ATV side but even though I run the wireless sync option it doesn’t change anything, even if I run it in different frame rates. I’m going to test today with an old BR player and see if can isolate the issue but so far no luck.

Userlevel 1
Badge

Yes video ahead of audio. I can’t figure it out. All was until about 3 or 4 months ago and then something happened. I suspect it is on the ATV side but even though I run the wireless sync option it doesn’t change anything, even if I run it in different frame rates. I’m going to test today with an old BR player and see if can isolate the issue but so far no luck.

So just tested with BR file and the delay is the same. So now I know it is not ATV but somewhere in the Vertex 2 > Arcana > projector / Sonos side. 

Hi All,

I had massive issues with Lip sync and they now seem to be solved.

My Setup  is  a Sonos Arc plugged into the E-ARC HDMI port on a Samsung QE85Q70T. I also have a NVidia Shield Pro running Plex plugged into the TV via a HDMI port.

My Audio sync issues were much more prominent on the Netflix and Plex on the Nvidia shield.

My fix was as follows:

1. On the Samsung TV go to TV > Setting > Sound > Expert Settings
  2. Digital Output Audio for…. option was set to “Auto”. I changed it to “Pass-Through”
  3. Digiti Outut Audio Delay was set at 100. I changed it to 0

My issues now seems to be resolved including for True HD 7.1 Atmos Blueray rips on Plex.

Hope this helps someone.

Thank you! We switched our projector to a Samsung one and suddenly started getting lip sync issues with the Arc. Your Samsung TV settings worked perfectly for our projector too. Thank you!

Userlevel 6
Badge +17

Hi @kirasallypip.

I would suggest calling our customer support team, so we can be dig deeper on what's causing this problem and to further troubleshoot and understand what is going on with the lips sync on your Sonos Arc.

Thanks,

Badge

Have you tried connecting the TV to the Arc using an optical cable and the supplied adapter?

Userlevel 1
Badge

Could you confirm what all the connections are in your setup. What are the sources (clearly ATV is one)?

Sure, I have ATV and a BR which goes in to a Hd Fury Vertex 2, then that goes in to Hd Fury Arcana. The arcana splits and eArc goes to Sonos Arc and video goes to Epson. The lip sync issue seems to be that the video is ever so slightly ahead of the audio. Just enough to be annoying. I have tried resetting and unplugging anything but no luck. 

Since my last post on this i have carried out some testing on mine.

i have a Sky Q box, Sony XF90 and the Arc.

All my apps on the TV work fine without any sync issues, as does my Panasonic BD player.

I removed everything on the TV that looked like it was processing the Audio, I managed to get some gains.

BUT, one of the tests I did was play the Sky box into the TV and use the TV speakers. Guess what, the lip sync was there at that point. 

So, my problem is not the ARC per se, but, the issue has already started before the ARC. I cannot use the optical out on the Sky box as I have other inputs I use on the TV and I am not going to swap wires every time I want to watch something different.

The solution here in my mind was very simple. Why can't these devices (Sky, TV, ARC) have a +/- on their li sync setting. That was the users have the ultimate way of dialling out the issues on their systems. Also, get the ARC to have multiple inputs and use the ARC as a traditional “switching unit” like a true AV receiver. To me it all seems simple.

Since my last post on this i have carried out some testing on mine.

i have a Sky Q box, Sony XF90 and the Arc.

All my apps on the TV work fine without any sync issues, as does my Panasonic BD player.

I removed everything on the TV that looked like it was processing the Audio, I managed to get some gains.

BUT, one of the tests I did was play the Sky box into the TV and use the TV speakers. Guess what, the lip sync was there at that point. 

So, my problem is not the ARC per se, but, the issue has already started before the ARC. I cannot use the optical out on the Sky box as I have other inputs I use on the TV and I am not going to swap wires every time I want to watch something different.

The solution here in my mind was very simple. Why can't these devices (Sky, TV, ARC) have a +/- on their li sync setting. That was the users have the ultimate way of dialling out the issues on their systems. Also, get the ARC to have multiple inputs and use the ARC as a traditional “switching unit” like a true AV receiver. To me it all seems simple.

Some TV manufacturers have resolved these issues by allowing ‘pass-through’ on the HDMI/Optical ports and so the connection passes to the Receiver without any processing or interruption from the TV - a bit like bypassing the TV with an audio splitter.