Multichannel PCM 5.1 dropping out since 14.10 update

Show first post

476 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge +1

But what do I lose if I just move the Sonos Beam to HDMI 3 or 4 and lose the eArc. Does that just mean I can’t talk to my TV?! 

The audio return is on HDMI 2 only. You can’t connect it to any other port. The optical cable should fix the issues for you though. 

Badge

Thanks, I did think of this but I was hoping to use the ATV for everything rather than the WEB OS on the LG for anything. I do take your point though so thank you. 

If you were to download the apple tv app on the TV itself and watch dune that way, you wouldn’t have the audio dropouts. Or if you cast it from your phone. 

If you were to download the apple tv app on the TV itself and watch dune that way, you wouldn’t have the audio dropouts. Or if you cast it from your phone. 

Badge

Hi All, 

Don’t know if it’s helpful or not or just more of the same. I too am having this issue. I have an LG C2 48”, a Beam gen 2 and two ERA 100s as surrounds. 

The rest of my kit is an Apple TV 4k and a Nintendo Switch. All bought last week. All was good until I learned that the switch had 5.1 surround and started with the cutting out of sound every one or two minutes. 

My switch was plugged into HDMI 3 and the ATV was plugged into HDMI 1. When I switched them I had the opposite problem. Switch was fine in HDMI one, but ATV was cutting out when watching DUNE on Netflix. 

Sorry I don’t understand the difference between Atmos, DD, PCM, pass through etc., so I haven’t been able to properly troubleshoot. But seems like another data point to add to the list so I thought I’d post anyway. 

Incidentally, also embarrassing with my already skeptical spouse, when I can’t even easily set up a movie to watch on the new kit without having to muck around with settings and cables. 🤷‍♂️

Thanks all for working on it. I may try the cable fix posted earlier. But what do I lose if I just move the Sonos Beam to HDMI 3 or 4 and lose the eArc. Does that just mean I can’t talk to my TV?

Thnaks! 

Another small bit of information from testing with 4k blu rays being played on PS5. (LG C3 and Sonos Beam 2 w/ 2 era 100s
-Dunkirk 4k UHD had audio dropouts (5.1 soundtrack with ps5 set to 7.1 on HDMI port 3)
     -I had hoped that the 7.1 sound setting would have covered this since it works fine for video games.
     -After switching to HDMI slot 1, the issue resolved.
-Mission Impossible: Fallout (Dolby Atmos HDMI port 3) worked flawlessly without any tweaks necessary.

I haven’t had any issues with dropouts when it comes to streaming from the TV directly. That includes 5.1, and dolby atmos. Hopefully at some point, Sony will push out dolby atmos support natively to PS5, maybe with the rumored console revision.

Userlevel 3
Badge +1

Seems like someone from The Verge is covering the popping sound issue. Sent them a PM and tagging them in case they’re intested to look into this as well @tomwarren 

I’ll add my 2p worth into the mix. I’ve had the Beam 2 with 2 Era 300’s and a Sub 2 for a few weeks connected to an LG C2 onto HDMI 2 (eArc) with Passthrough and eARC enabled with my PC (Nvidia RTX 4090) connected to HDMI 1 on the TV (I also have a PS5 and Xbox Series X connected to HDMI 3 and 4). I have been getting sound cutting out on HDMI 1 every so often (the Beam 2 seems to ‘reset’). Sometimes the audio won’t come back at all and I have to pull the plug on both the LG and the Beam 2 to get the system working (this works consistently). I’m not sure what’s causing the audio to cut out but it seems to have something to do with switching audio sources, i.e. going from a Dolby Atmos container to 5.1. Anyway, I happen to have a spare Fibr (optical HDMI 2.1) cable which I’ve used for HDMI 2 to the Beams 2 (with the TV as the source, i.e. end 1) as suggested in this thread and this (so far) seems to have fixed the issue - note that I use one of these cables to the other way around from my PC to the TV to get 120 Hz with HDR etc. I’m glad it has worked because this whole setup would have been going back to the supplier at the weekend - so Sonos support, you owe MJW75 a pack of beers!

For those that aren’t aware, I posted a work around a few months back. Everyone who has reported trying it has confirmed it works. I’ve not had an issue since doing this. 

You need a one way optical HDMI 2.1 cable between the Beam and the TV with the TV at the source end of the cable. This will stop the drop outs. CEC will still work. The only missing feature are the images (screen saver?) sent from the Beam to the TV - which is a pointless feature anyway. These cables are not expensive. The one I bought from Amazon UK was £17 (about $20). If you want more info, read from my post on page 11 onwards. 

This did not solve the problem at all.

Have you put the cable between the TV and Beam with the TV at the source end? You are the first of many saying it didn’t work - so double check everything. 

Yes it's the right way around as 7.1 and stereo pcm is  working fine still.

Userlevel 3
Badge +1

For those that aren’t aware, I posted a work around a few months back. Everyone who has reported trying it has confirmed it works. I’ve not had an issue since doing this. 

You need a one way optical HDMI 2.1 cable between the Beam and the TV with the TV at the source end of the cable. This will stop the drop outs. CEC will still work. The only missing feature are the images (screen saver?) sent from the Beam to the TV - which is a pointless feature anyway. These cables are not expensive. The one I bought from Amazon UK was £17 (about $20). If you want more info, read from my post on page 11 onwards. 

Have you put the cable between the TV and Beam with the TV at the source end? You are the first of many saying it didn’t work - so double check everything. 

How’s the latest update in this regard? I haven’t changed the HDMI cable since it’s routed through the wall, but would be curious to knowing it’s fixed as there are no replies in this thread. 

Still not working with a fiber cable. Multichannel pcm 7.1 seems to work fine. As does stereo pcm. So annoying.

How’s the latest update in this regard? I haven’t changed the HDMI cable since it’s routed through the wall, but would be curious to knowing it’s fixed as there are no replies in this thread. 

No fixed. The buggy cut sound still there. Replies are dead because the “hdmi cable” make the job for now, but you know who is even more dead? Sonos support.

Userlevel 1
Badge

Hello,

I recently purchased the optical HDMI cable that @MJW75 suggested in a previous post. It works perfectly, I have had no dropouts in the last week so definitely recommend anyone with this issue to use this cable. 

Userlevel 3
Badge +1

So; any recommendations for another setup?

If it’s just the bar, the Bose Soundbar 600 outclasses the Beam Gen 2 (plus Bose acknowledges and fixes their bugs unlike Sonos). However, I am more attracted to Sonos’ complete surround setup vs Bose’s.

The bigger issue I think is longerm stability. Given the lack of accountability that Sonos has displayed, we’re just one bad firmware update away from the being completely screwed.

Edit: We should consider ourselves just lucky that the community found workarounds for this issue. But that won’t always be the case.

Userlevel 1
Badge

So my latest reply with a diagnostic number (that I can’t seem to get back) seems to be deleted. 

Anyway, I received the optical one way cable this evening and plugged the display side into the beam and the source side into the Tv. It’s fixed. No more dropouts. 

Userlevel 1
Badge

So I did buy the beam gen 2 with sub mini and one SLs and they’re great!

However; I’m also experiencing the issue described in this thread. Apple TV on 5.1 lpcm has dropouts every minute, Switch and Xbox as well. On HDMI 1 the dropouts happen as well but less frequently (experienced 1 in an hour). I already ordered an optical cable because of this thread and it can come tonight or tomorrow so I’ll be reporting back on the issue soon. 

Using WebOs Netflix and Prime solves the lpcm issue that plagues the HDMI ports for me as a workaround until then and I’ve put the Apple TV on Dolby digital (which sounds a bit less good than Atmos but at least I don’t have to switch when I accidentallly pick a 5.1 YouTube video). 

Im based in the Netherlands, own an LG C1 55”. I’ll be sending some diagnostics as well, but I think I would have to make a new thread for new diagnostic files?

sidenote; as I’ve written somewhere before. When I use my Apple TV 4K as an eARC device I do NOT get dropouts from 5.1 and the 1111111 menu of the LG C1 does report proper lpcm 5.1 as well. (Since the Sonos is somehow fixed by cutting out video?)

Userlevel 1
Badge

So I Almost bought the beam gen 2 with sub mini and surround speakers. Specifically for gaming on switch and watching media on Apple TV.  I have an LG C1. 

As long as this isn’t fixed I won’t be buying, it feels like being bullied into buying a more expensive arc and then having to buy the more expensive sub as well. 

I use my switch on hdmi 1, but the atv on 3. So I would always have to pick which device can have the dropouts? No way. 

I think the fault is 50/50 between Sonos and LG though. I know my series X reported 5.1 LPCM support last year, now the screen says unsupported in the TV info screen. However; that would still not explain why only the beam has this issue. 

So; any recommendations for another setup?

Hi 

So I have had a LG c1 for over a year no issues.

HDMI 1 has xboxs series x

HDMI  2 has the beam

HDMI 3 has the NSwitch

HDMI 4 has the PS5

Updated my beam gen 2 to latest and greatest software today and all of a sudden the audio on the switch is cutting out. Tried moving it to HDMI 1 and issue gone.

I don't see how this could be the TV as only thing that's changed is the Beams Software between yesterday and today.

Really weird 

Thank you, I have just purchased from your link. I will report back once I’ve tested it. It’s very frustrating that more money has to be spent on this issue.

Userlevel 3
Badge +1

@Manofgeek,
Maybe try using an audio extractor instead and bypass the LG TV altogether. Here are some ‘example’ extractors I’ve seen mentioned in the community here and elsewhere, but I do suggest you research them before any decision to purchase.

I can’t see any reason why such devices would not solve your issue. I actually use one myself on a TV that has no eARC port.

HDFury Arcana

https://www.hdfury.uk/product/hdfury-arcana/

Feintech VAX04101 (I have this device)

https://feintech.eu/en/collections/hdmi-topseller/products/feintech-vax04101-hdmi-earc-pass-switch-4x1-for-soundbar

OREI HDA-931 or OREI HDA-935

https://www.orei.com/products/dual-hdmi-earc-audio-extractor-converter-4k-60hz-18g-hdmi-2-0-arc-support-hda-931

https://www.orei.com/products/dual-hdmi-earc-audio-extractor-4k-60hz-with-optical-port-3-5mm-jack-18gbps-bandwidth-hda-935

Ezcoo

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Splitter-Soundbar-Bi-direction-Breakout-HDCP2-2/dp/B0BBZGPT6F

Thank you for the links I will do some reading on these products. Not sure if using one of these will affect the performance of my game consoles for example, HDMI 2.1 features.

@Manofgeek,
Maybe try using an audio extractor instead and bypass the LG TV altogether. Here are some ‘example’ extractors I’ve seen mentioned in the community here and elsewhere, but I do suggest you research them before any decision to purchase.

I can’t see any reason why such devices would not solve your issue. I actually use one myself on a TV that has no eARC port.

HDFury Arcana

https://www.hdfury.uk/product/hdfury-arcana/

Feintech VAX04101 (I have this device)

https://feintech.eu/en/collections/hdmi-topseller/products/feintech-vax04101-hdmi-earc-pass-switch-4x1-for-soundbar

OREI HDA-931 or OREI HDA-935

https://www.orei.com/products/dual-hdmi-earc-audio-extractor-converter-4k-60hz-18g-hdmi-2-0-arc-support-hda-931

https://www.orei.com/products/dual-hdmi-earc-audio-extractor-4k-60hz-with-optical-port-3-5mm-jack-18gbps-bandwidth-hda-935

Ezcoo

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Splitter-Soundbar-Bi-direction-Breakout-HDCP2-2/dp/B0BBZGPT6F

15.5 update hasn’t resolved the problem. I don’t know if this info is of any help to anyone, but I unplug the HDMI cable from the EARC port on my lg cx a couple of times and it seems to fix the issue. But only for a couple of days to a week, then the dropouts start again, this is the third time I have tried this in recent weeks.

Have you reached out to LG, as suggested in the earlier Staff answer to this thread?

Yes I have, they suggested getting in contact with a local repairman as my warranty is out of date and then offered a 10% discount code. They didn’t offer any information on this issue, just that they are aware of the problem. I also contacted Sonos support, they suggested using a cec-less hdmi cable/adapter which didn’t work. 

15.5 update hasn’t resolved the problem. I don’t know if this info is of any help to anyone, but I unplug the HDMI cable from the EARC port on my lg cx a couple of times and it seems to fix the issue. But only for a couple of days to a week, then the dropouts start again, this is the third time I have tried this in recent weeks.

Have you reached out to LG, as suggested in the earlier Staff answer to this thread?