Multichannel PCM 5.1 dropping out since 14.10 update

Userlevel 1
Badge

Anyone else experiencing the same issue? Multichannel PCM 5.1 blanks out for a second every 1-2 minutes. I don’t think it’s a bandwidth issue as it works flawlessly with Multichannel PCM 7.1 (thorough test) and Dolby TrueHD Atmos (quick test). And it may have been caused by the Sonos 14.10 update. Setup is PS5→ LG C1→ Beam 2 (via earc).

2 weeks ago before the 14.10 update, I watched a bluray film wherein I had my PS5 transcode the DTS-HD MA 5.1 audio to Multichannel PCM 5.1 (as the C1 does not support DTS) and had no issues. Earlier today, I played a bluray film for the first time in 2 weeks and I encountered consistent audio dropouts every 1-2 minutes. It had the same setup where DTS-HD MA 5.1 → Multichannel PCM 5.1. I tested other bluray discs including the one I watched 2 weeks ago and they all now have the same issue.

Curiously, I’ve been gaming heavily on my PS5 the past two 2 weeks and haven’t had any audio issues. Then I realized that I’ve been using Multichannel PCM 7.1 when gaming on my PS5. So I made some changes under the PS5 sound settings to make it output Multichannel PCM 5.1 instead. Lo and behold, I am now getting the same consistent dropouts in games and even on the PS5 main menu.

I think it’s due to the Sonos 14.10 update as that’s the only firmware update I’ve done in the last 2 weeks. No PS5 update, no LG C1 update. Well actually while I was composing this post, I received and applied the latest LG C1 firmware update and I still have the same issue.

Corry P 10 months ago

Hi @throwawaybeam2 et al

We now recommend you reach out to the TV manufacturer (LG) as this behaviour is also occurring with different soundbar manufacturers (so it’s not a Sonos-specific issue).

Alternatively, please utilize different audio formats from McLPCM 5.1 (e.g., McLPCM 7.1, DD+, etc).

I hope this helps.

View original

462 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge +1

From reviews/anecdotes, it seemed like optical cables are more prone to failure (and the longer, the more problematic) so I ended up not getting one. Maybe that’s why we’re only getting these reports months (year?) later.

Perhaps our only hope is if the rumored Arc successor has the same issue lol. But by then I would’ve replaced and demoted my Beam already so I wouldn’t care anymore.

Userlevel 3
Badge +1

It seemed to just happen once a week or so, usually when starting to play something (maybe the audio mode switching can cause it?). It doesn’t seem to be 5.1 related, it can happen on anything. Sometimes no sound, sometimes only some audio channels play. A quick restart fixes it. I never had any image issues though. 

I’m just checking in for the first time in a while. I’m the guy who came up with the optical cable solution, but as the above post states, it does seem to cause a new issue, thankfully it isn’t very often. 

I’ve gone back to a regular cable, put my Apple TV on HDMI 1, set top box set to stereo audio (2 channel) and my PS5 to Dolby Atmos. This works fine for me - but I am giving up 5.1 audio from the set top box. 

I’m still hoping for a fix though and will check back here periodically. 

I’ve had no issues so far with the optical cable (only a few days of use). Thanks for finding that solution! 

When have you noticed audio/visual drop outs? And do they only occur when using 5.1 PCM with the optical cable?   

Userlevel 3
Badge +1

I’m just checking in for the first time in a while. I’m the guy who came up with the optical cable solution, but as the above post states, it does seem to cause a new issue, thankfully it isn’t very often. 

I’ve gone back to a regular cable, put my Apple TV on HDMI 1, set top box set to stereo audio (2 channel) and my PS5 to Dolby Atmos. This works fine for me - but I am giving up 5.1 audio from the set top box. 

I’m still hoping for a fix though and will check back here periodically. 

Also having this issue. Setup is LG C3, with Apple TV 4K, Beam Gen2, PS5, and Nintendo Switch on inputs 1-4, respectively. TV settings: Audio input format: Bitstream; Digital Sound Output: Pass Through; eARC Support: On. 

Sound cuts out on Nintendo Switch with sound set to “Auto” or “Surround” and PS5 when set to Linear PCM 5.1. Mostly have PS5 set to 7.1 to avoid this issue. 

Just ordered the fiber optic hdmi cable linked in the previous post… hopefully it resolves the sound cuts. Very frustrating that this hasn’t been addressed officially yet. Thanks to those who did the hard work to find a stop-gap solution. 

You can also set it to Dolby Atmos on your PS5, that can help. Only devices that are connected to HDMI 3 and 4 are experiencing drop outs. Especially when using PCM 5.1

The fiber hdmi cable solution is not perfect. It will introduce a new issue that'll cause audio and video drop outs, not as frequently as before but still very annoying. 

If I were you, return the Beam Gen 2 and buy the Arc. All issues are gone with the Arc on my end.

Also having this issue. Setup is LG C3, with Apple TV 4K, Beam Gen2, PS5, and Nintendo Switch on inputs 1-4, respectively. TV settings: Audio input format: Bitstream; Digital Sound Output: Pass Through; eARC Support: On. 

Sound cuts out on Nintendo Switch with sound set to “Auto” or “Surround” and PS5 when set to Linear PCM 5.1. Mostly have PS5 set to 7.1 to avoid this issue. 

Just ordered the fiber optic hdmi cable linked in the previous post… hopefully it resolves the sound cuts. Very frustrating that this hasn’t been addressed officially yet. Thanks to those who did the hard work to find a stop-gap solution. 

Stopping by to say that this issue remains ongoing. I’ve got an LG C2, Beam (Gen 2), sub mini, Apple TV 4K (3rd Generation) on up-to-date system software and intermittent sound drops are still a nuisance. No sound drops on internal apps on the TV, just on the Apple TV. Changing the audio format on the Apple TV (thus turning off Atmos) stops it, but this is obviously not ideal.  Just ordered one of the cables mentioned throughout the thread and I’ll report back

Updated Amazon link: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B09YPRB8T8/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&th=1

Another weird thing and this may be nothing. The Audio output on the Apple TV repeatedly goes from being named “TV Speakers” to “Audio Receiver” and back again. This may just be a display name issue, but it also may be switching from the cable to airplay for some reason. There’s no change in what the Sonos app says is playing (in other words, not switching from 5.1 to stereo) so I think it’s just a display name issue. Still, it’s weird.

I am sorry to say the cable may not work if it is only Atmos that has the dropouts, I know as i bought one, sadly the only thing that will work is an earc audio extractor such as an HDFURY Arcana for info in this thread

So far I haven’t had the dropouts on the new cable.  I’ll update if the cutouts come back.

Stopping by to say that this issue remains ongoing. I’ve got an LG C2, Beam (Gen 2), sub mini, Apple TV 4K (3rd Generation) on up-to-date system software and intermittent sound drops are still a nuisance. No sound drops on internal apps on the TV, just on the Apple TV. Changing the audio format on the Apple TV (thus turning off Atmos) stops it, but this is obviously not ideal.  Just ordered one of the cables mentioned throughout the thread and I’ll report back

Updated Amazon link: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B09YPRB8T8/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&th=1

Another weird thing and this may be nothing. The Audio output on the Apple TV repeatedly goes from being named “TV Speakers” to “Audio Receiver” and back again. This may just be a display name issue, but it also may be switching from the cable to airplay for some reason. There’s no change in what the Sonos app says is playing (in other words, not switching from 5.1 to stereo) so I think it’s just a display name issue. Still, it’s weird.

Have you tried plugging your Apple TV into the HDMI 1 port of your TV? I only had issues when using HDMI 3 or 4. Also using a fiber HDMI cable didn't completely get rid of the issue. I had occasionally drop outs including a black screen for like 2 seconds when using a fiber hdmi cable. The screen black outs only occurred when using the fiber cable. 

Haven’t tried it but will if the problem repeats. So far no problems with the new cable on HDMI 3.

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

I am sorry to say the cable may not work if it is only Atmos that has the dropouts, I know as i bought one, sadly the only thing that will work is an earc audio extractor such as an HDFURY Arcana for info in this thread

Have you tried plugging your Apple TV into the HDMI 1 port of your TV? I only had issues when using HDMI 3 or 4. Also using a fiber HDMI cable didn't completely get rid of the issue. I had occasionally drop outs including a black screen for like 2 seconds when using a fiber hdmi cable. The screen black outs only occurred when using the fiber cable. 

I can confirm that the sound cut outs are not there with the Sonos Arc on my LG C1.

I’m sick of dealing with this, sending my Beam Gen 2 back, replacing it with the Arc that apparently doesn’t have this issue at all.

Sonos: Just as planned. 😆

Exactly, I wish I could laugh about it. I already have a sonos eco system, sub mini and surrounds as well. There's no going back. The Arc is the only choice at this point, fortunately it's on sale right now.

Userlevel 3
Badge +1

I’m sick of dealing with this, sending my Beam Gen 2 back, replacing it with the Arc that apparently doesn’t have this issue at all.

Sonos: Just as planned. 😆

Seeing as there are no new replies I think this still hasn’t been fixed?

we have bought a Samsung wh-q930c for the bedroom (also lg c1) and there’s no issue on that system at all. 

using the optical hdmi still fixes the problem luckily. But lately the screen has been flickering black for 4 seconds before coming back on, as if earc is reapplying.

Also have some audio delay issues on live TV lately; only on Dolby digital streams. Channels that use PCM work just fine, but I think thisnactually is an LG issue since the Samsung had the same thing. 

Unfortunately I have the black screen issue as well. I’m using a fiber 2.1 HDMI cable between the Beam Gen 2 and my LG C1. I was playing my Series X and all of a sudden after 10 minutes, I had a short black screen for like 5 seconds, after that the picture and sound came back. It wasnt a one time thing, the black screen issue is there and comes random while playing games, regardless the console I’m using.

Badge

Should have said I've never had this problem before, first time tonight since using the new cable 

Userlevel 3
Badge +1

Ok let's say mixed results.  Got the cable all hooked up and then popped a disk in that I knew I had the issue with.  Sonos app shows multi channel 5.1 pcm and seemed to play ok, no sound drops. Then we've watched netflix, 4k Atmos and that played fine which was expected.  Now we went back to watching the disk again and there was no sound at all from the main film.  The menu had background music but nothing when watching the film.  Did a full power off and back on and managed to get some sound but now Sonos is only saying stereo pcm.   Confused 

I believe this is a different issue. I get this too occasionally - always after switching HDMI input.

Anyone else get this?

Badge

Ok let's say mixed results.  Got the cable all hooked up and then popped a disk in that I knew I had the issue with.  Sonos app shows multi channel 5.1 pcm and seemed to play ok, no sound drops. Then we've watched netflix, 4k Atmos and that played fine which was expected.  Now we went back to watching the disk again and there was no sound at all from the main film.  The menu had background music but nothing when watching the film.  Did a full power off and back on and managed to get some sound but now Sonos is only saying stereo pcm.   Confused 

Userlevel 3
Badge +1

Just ordered the cable from Amazon Uk that the OP links too and it was 25% off so if a £13.50 spend fixes it that will make me happy. 

It was the OP that posted the fix. 😉

Make sure you have the TV at the source end and the Beam at the other end of the cable when you connect it up otherwise it won’t work. 
Fingers crossed a fix will come as I’m sure there are many Beam owners with this issue that haven’t seen this thread. 

Badge

so glad i found this thread as i was starting to lose the plot.  Same as everyone else, Gen2 <> LgC2 intermittent sounds drops when PCM 5.1  which is very annoying.  Just ordered the cable from Amazon Uk that the OP links too and it was 25% off so if a £13.50 spend fixes it that will make me happy.   Just annoying having to spend more to get things to work.   Will post back once cable has arrived and I have done some tests

Userlevel 3
Badge +1

Don’t know if it’s even an HDMI 1 workaround

If you backread, a couple of folks did some tests and found HDMI 1 alone to be somewhat resistant to this bug for some reason. My experience coincide with their findings but as I said it hasn’t been flawless.

Was looking into alternatives if I do choose to refund and the closest comparable device seems to be the Bose 600, but the more I look into that the more I see pages and pages of people complaining that it doesn’t work properly with LG TVs!

I looked into the Bose 600 awhile back and found that there was an issue upon launch where it didn’t work with LGs. But Bose acknowledged the issue and released a fix via software update. Not sure though if you’re referring to new issues that came up since then.

Yeah it’s pretty annoying. Sometimes the screen goes black for a bit and then comes back, it restarts the connection to the beam when this happens. This is on the optical cable. Normal cable doesn’t do that but I can’t live with the dropout every minute. 

Do you have a broken fiber optic cable or is the cable “fix” bugged as well? Was just considering to finally purchase one as I currently have a good offer from Amazon lol.

Userlevel 1
Badge

Yeah it’s pretty annoying. Sometimes the screen goes black for a bit and then comes back, it restarts the connection to the beam when this happens. This is on the optical cable. Normal cable doesn’t do that but I can’t live with the dropout every minute. 

lots of the gaming I do is in 5.1 LPCM. The switch doesn’t have any other surround mode and Xbox has a huge delay on Dolby related stuff, and 7.1 is nice and all for movies, but it messes up some positional stuff in games. 

the Apple TV is just fine, as long as inputting everything in Dolby digital instead of atmos with fallback to lpcm, but then I miss atmos AND I get the delay the lg c1 adds to Dolby. 

live TV same thing; Dolby sources are delayed. 100 percent the TV that does this sadly. Except when I plug in my PC; that just works fine on atmos and Dolby digital. Super weird, but at least a workaround for the lpcm issue (and being able to set atmos to 5.1 instead of 7.1 is a nice touch as well since windows messes up the rear tracks by not sending them at all)

The HDMI 1 workaround is not perfect as I’ve always gotten around one or two dropouts every hour with PCM 5.1. Perhaps you just haven’t noticed or you’re lucky that yours hasn’t bugged out yet.

Don’t know if it’s even an HDMI 1 workaround, tried the PS5 in HDMI 1 and it didn’t solve the issue. The Firestick just seems to deal with issues better than any other device. It’s by far what I’ve used most since I got the Beam so I think I would’ve noticed dropouts, but as you say it just might not have bugged out yet. I’ve also experienced some other weird quirks with it - If I have the Firestick set to “best audio possible” I get no sound when I set the Nintendo Switch to surround, full audio on stereo, but if I set the Firestick to PCM, I get surround on the Switch, but it regularly drops out. There was a brief moment where everything worked perfectly (Switch and PS5) if I disconnected the Firestick completely, but then that seemed to stop working too…

I also used a Sony earc soundbar with no issues before “upgrading” to the Beam. Since you have multiple devices that make use of PCM 5.1, I suggest that you either buy the fiber optic cable or simply return your Beam. Personally, I’d go with the latter as Sonos has already lost my trust. From what we’d seen from the Atmos pop (and this) issue , they’d just sweep things under the rug and deny any wrongdoing unless it has garnered widespread media attention.

I’m gonna try the cable as I get get one for £11 on Amazon in the UK, more out of curiosity than anything, but maintain that it’s unacceptable for a product to come with a cable and for me to still have to purchase one separately to get it to work properly. Was looking into alternatives if I do choose to refund and the closest comparable device seems to be the Bose 600, but the more I look into that the more I see pages and pages of people complaining that it doesn’t work properly with LG TVs! Starting to think my basic SONY soundbar worked so flawlessly because that’s all it was - just a decent soundbar, no bells or whistles. While I don’t think it is a TV issue, it seems that some of the blame has to lie with LG here - there are too many variables for this to simply be “the Beam can’t do 5.1”

Userlevel 3
Badge +1

Firestick works FLAWLESSLY. No drop outs, 5.1, 7.1, Atmos all work great.

The HDMI 1 workaround is not perfect as I’ve always gotten around one or two dropouts every hour with PCM 5.1. Perhaps you just haven’t noticed or you’re lucky that yours hasn’t bugged out yet.

With the Blu Ray issue being fixed by a TV hard reset I initially thought it might be a TV issue, but I used a SONY soundbar via e-Arc before with absolutely no issues. I thought the Sonos would be an upgrade but this issue is making me strongly consider returning it. This is not budget equipment, I shouldn’t have to lose my evenings trying to get it to work properly…

I also used a Sony earc soundbar with no issues before “upgrading” to the Beam. Since you have multiple devices that make use of PCM 5.1, I suggest that you either buy the fiber optic cable or simply return your Beam. Personally, I’d go with the latter as Sonos has already lost my trust. From what we’d seen from the Atmos pop (and this) issue , they’d just sweep things under the rug and deny any wrongdoing unless it has garnered widespread media attention.

Coming to this late but wanna add my experience here. LG G2, Beam Gen 2 via e-Arc, 4K Firestick in HDMI 1, PS5 in 3 and Nintendo Switch in 4.

Firestick works FLAWLESSLY. No drop outs, 5.1, 7.1, Atmos all work great. PS5 works perfectly when playing games, but trying to watch a Blu Ray is a lottery whether it will play (only after TV hardware reset) drop out intermittently (sometimes not coming back at all) or just no sound from the off. Nintendo Switch audio drops out for a second every couple of minutes.

With the Blu Ray issue being fixed by a TV hard reset I initially thought it might be a TV issue, but I used a SONY soundbar via e-Arc before with absolutely no issues. I thought the Sonos would be an upgrade but this issue is making me strongly consider returning it. This is not budget equipment, I shouldn’t have to lose my evenings trying to get it to work properly…