Intermittent audio from Sonos Arc to Samsung QE65Q95T

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

91 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +16

Hello @Mikelev,

Enabling eARC should only be necessary to allow the TV to pass Dolby Atmos (Dolby True HD) but is not necessary for Dolby Atmos (Dolby Digital +).

The issue we are experiencing with Samsung is specifically regarding Dolby Digital + while eARC is enabled rather than issues with Dolby True HD.

In this instance, disabling the eARC will not effect the audio quality but if you change to a true Dolby Atmos source, you will need to re-enable it.

We are aware of and working on a fix for this issue but I do not have any specific information on the status and time-frame for a resolution.     

Userlevel 4
Badge +3

Hello @Talvish,

Thank you for your response and I apologize for shifting my focus, I didn’t forget about your situation. 

At this time I am uncertain if the “lost connection” error reflected in your diagnostics are an artifact of the software decoder, of the signal being passed from the TV or of a literal loss in signal contact. 

I do now know that we are consistently experiencing audio issues from Samsung TVs passing Dolby Digital+ with eARC enabled.

Certainly feel free to continue to test and submit data from different configurations if you would like but this is now an issue being looked at by our team.

I would invite anyone reading this thread with the same issue regarding Samsung, eARC and Dolby Digital + to disable eARC within your TV settings for now and see if this resolves this audio issue.

@rrgn, I believe you have something else happening with your set-up and will be with you in a moment.   

Hi Jean

I am among one of many users on this forum and the Samsung Forum that have trouble with the connection between the Sonos ARC and Samsung TV's around eARC. It appears to be prevelant on the Samsung tvs that have the one connect box - so Frame and Q95T etc. Yes the sound appears to be stable when eARC is disabled, occasionally there is an intermittent cut out though on sound via the TV though which is annoying as it means plugging HDMI out and back in to reset.

The big issue though is eARC. The whole point of Sonos ARC and eARC enabled TV's is to have uncompressed Dolby Atmos playback via the devices. Is this is not functional can you at the very least advise that Sonos is working on a fix with Samsung.

Simply being advised to disable eARC is not a great long term prognosis for this issue, and I know of a few users who have returned products from both suppliers due to this issue. I too an considering this before my return period expires.

Please can you obtain some comfort for users that this issue is identified and you are working on a fix.

Thanks

Mike

Userlevel 1
Badge

Samsung Q95T here with a Sonos Arc connected to the Samsung One Connect box. When eArc is on, there will be no audio. Turning eArc off allows audio to work again. 

So same issue here guys… sound cutting in and out Very frequently when using the TV, on Netflix, Amazon prime, PS4, everything that involves the television pretty much. I have just set up my brand new arc and brand new Samsung TV. I’ve tried to call the Sonos support number on their site and I’m just being told the number is not connected. Are they taking the piss? Has anyone managed to find a simple fix to this yet?

Badge

NOT just Samsung TV’s, same on my Sony.  There are several threads on this, so why are we having to keep sending diagnostics, resetting, etc. when they have SEVERAL people reporting the same issue and have sent diagnostics in already.  Fix it already, or recall the product.

Userlevel 5
Badge +16

...and @rrgn I see that you read my mind and found the troublemaker, as I suspected the Ziggo cable box is your offending device. 

If the switch you ordered doesn’t work out, simply using a non ARC HDMI cable should do it, if you can find one. 

Please keep us posted on your progress. 

Userlevel 5
Badge +16

Hello @Talvish,

Thank you for your response and I apologize for shifting my focus, I didn’t forget about your situation. 

At this time I am uncertain if the “lost connection” error reflected in your diagnostics are an artifact of the software decoder, of the signal being passed from the TV or of a literal loss in signal contact. 

I do now know that we are consistently experiencing audio issues from Samsung TVs passing Dolby Digital+ with eARC enabled.

Certainly feel free to continue to test and submit data from different configurations if you would like but this is now an issue being looked at by our team.

I would invite anyone reading this thread with the same issue regarding Samsung, eARC and Dolby Digital + to disable eARC within your TV settings for now and see if this resolves this audio issue.

@rrgn, I believe you have something else happening with your set-up and will be with you in a moment.   

My Sonos Arc is intermittently loosing sound when turned on with Samsung TV

Badge

Hi Jean,

another update & good news your remark that something was highjacking the connection was true, i disconnected my ziggo cable box (Next 4K model) since doing this & watching several shows via netflix onboard tv app no audio fails whatsoever. I also checked another forum site & numerous people have been complaining about the Next 4k cable box & it’s cec implementation not functioning properly. I naturally need the cable box to watch tv channels so have ordered a cec killer switch/dongle which fully disables any cec signals being sent & causing interference with other devices. I will test more during the upcoming week & post these results hopefully it can help others in the forum.

Thanks for helping out here much appreciated.

Userlevel 4
Badge +2

@Jean C. , quick update for you. I tried last night to replicate using the Netflix TV app and I didn’t experience an issue. My wife also reported not experiencing an issue while watching Hulu via the Xbox, but I did while Netflix (with a show that was definitely using Atmos, where the show my wife was watching wasn’t Atmos, but the Xbox would have been upmixing). I’m going to run some more experiments today (TV app and Xbox, including a different Xbox) and keep you posted.

I was hoping to get on one question answered from my previous diagnostics. You mentioned you could see audio bad audio connections happen, I was curious if it was just the single drop of audio each diagnostic, or was it more than that, but I didn’t notice (because I only heard the one per diagnostic)?

I want to say thank you for your constant communication and patience with all of us here.

Badge

Hi Jean,

powered off tv unplugged all hdmi connections only 2 exist hdmi-1 is my ziggo cablebox, hdmi-4 arc port is sonos arc i waited a couple of minutes then turned tv back on waited then plugged both hdmi connections back, now the tv didn’t see my sonos arc hdmi port but once i turned my cable box on it did & audio played through the sonos arc. Then i turned of the cable box & started netflix via onboard tv app audio was fine S2 app was DD5.1 audio in all good. However after 5 minutes i stopped the netflix app turned of the tv, started tv & netflix app again to replay what i was watching no audio through the sonos arc just through tv speakers.

i can reproduce this by repeating the above sequence of steps each time i stop & restart netflix via onboard tv app the audio via sonos arc is gone just tv speakers. I submitted 733250010 as diag report

Userlevel 5
Badge +16

Hello @rrgn,

Can you unplug all other HDMI connections from your TV temporarily and then reboot the TV again?

Once the TV is back on, connect other other HDMI connections one at a time. Something here is is hijacking the connection despite your best efforts.

Badge

Media source is my cablebox & this passes the audio signal through to tv & to arc untouched as it is tv channels it will mostly be stereo 2.0 or DD5.1 

Badge

Hi Jean,

When i sent the diag report i had audio paused &  the S2 app tells me audio in: pause-burst but after entering ppay format was DD5.1

just lost the connection again no audio through ARC just tv speakers the S2 app now says audio in: no signal

i will submit diag report confirmation number is: 839703709. & tv shows hdmi connecting like screenshot from yesterday

Userlevel 5
Badge +16

Hello @rrgn,

Thank you for your response and your diagnostic report.

I find that very interesting. I’’m now seeing that there is a CEC connection but the audio format we are reading is in error.

Are you able to determine which Audio format your TV is receiving from your media source and passing along to your Arc?

Badge

Jean,

just sent a diag report number is: 454566805

no issues at the moment but just wondering if the problem returns aka no audio & hdmi connection will any information be in the diag report i.e. how can the tech data be captured or is there an ongoing logfile for this?

Userlevel 5
Badge +16

@rrgn,

Thank you for your response.

After you restart everything, best to give the system at least 20 minutes of run-time and audio testing before submitting a diagnostic report. 

Badge

Hi Jean,

yes i have done all the above but alas no audio at all the tv displays connecting to hdmi as shown in my previous post, i can toggle between tv speakers hdmi arc port which ARC is connected to this should then be activating hdmi handshake but simply doesn’t work. Let me turn tv back on & see what happens & wonders will never cease audio is back this seems weird now playing netflix via tv app

when is the best time to send diag report?

Userlevel 5
Badge +16

Hello @rrgn,

Thank you for the additional information about your system. 

Have you tried rebooting your TV by unplugging it from power?

Have you disabled and then re-enabled Samsung’s CEC / Anynet + feature?

If you disable eARC, does this behavior change?  

If you could send along an updated diagnostic report as well, I can see if there is any change in the connection status and signal being received by your Arc.

@10CentVincent, welcome to the party and please let us know if anything here helps your situation any. 

Same issue here with brand new setup on Samsung Q90T and Sonos Arc.  Sound doesn’t work after turning on TV and must disable eArc and reEnable eArc to get sound back.  Following this thread and hoping for a solution!

Badge

If you go into Settings > System >  Family Room, do you see an option to complete home theater set-up? No i don’t

Badge

Hi Jean,

the Arc is connected via Ethernet port & is in the same home network as my wifi devices so i can already use airplay & if i add sub or rears i will enable wifi.

as stated the Arc just doesn’t sync with tv & therefore no audio i captured hdmi issue on tv screen & foto as it is the ARC port, screen shot shows Verbinden which is dutch but translates to connecting but it doesn’t

Userlevel 5
Badge +16

Hello @rrgn,

Thank you for the additional information and yes, more diagnostics would be helpful.

I wasn’t seeing that the HDMI/Arc or CEC feature were engaged with your Arc on the previous diagnostic.

Can you include a picture of the port that the Arc is plugged into and verify that it is definitely the ARC port?

If you go into Settings > System >  Family Room, do you see an option to complete home theater set-up?

You would also do well to enable the WiFi feature on your Arc if you plan to use Airplay or add any surround speakers or a Sub in the future. 

Badge

I also have the same as Tim mentioned

1) As noted during the issue, I have always lost the Sonos signal from the ARC source. I.e. I don't see the Sonos picture anymore, if I change to the Sonos source.
2) the S2 app shows no audio in even though TV audio ouput is via ARC & Sonos ARC is connected via hdmi

Badge

Hi Jean,

yes Anynet is enabled On TV & passes DD5.1 through to the ARC but as i mentioned in my first post the ARC is connected but no audio whatsoever i can toggle between tv speakers & Sonos ARC hdmi 4 but silence, my setup has been working this week with random audio drops now no audio. Would it help to submit another diag report with the current status?