Intermittent audio from Sonos Arc to Samsung QE65Q95T

Setup Sonos Arc with One SL and Sub Gen3 on my Samsung TV. Synced up perfectly with HDMI ARC connection and all working great. However for some reason occasionally after shutting down TV for the night, the next day the audio comes on and then stops for a second or so before starting again. This repeated continuously, unless I disconnect and reconnect the HDMI connection or reboot the Sonos ARC. rebooting the TV has no impact, so the problem looks like the ARC. Interestingly if I go to the Sonos Source I don't get any signal from the Sonos when the issue is present? However when it's all working properly, I get signal okay and see the Sonos curved lines screen. 

Diagnostics have been submitted on I'd 1258411113

Any help appreciated

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

91 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +2

Definitely issues with Samsung TVs and the Arc:

https://en.community.sonos.com/troubleshooting-228999/sonos-arc-samsung-q90t-sound-cutting-out-anyone-else-6843526

https://en.community.sonos.com/home-theater-228993/sonos-arc-samsung-frame-tv-earc-not-working-6842523

Thanks Talvish,

Seems to be the same issue.

I have noticed two things:-

1) As noted during the issue, I have always lost the Sonos signal from the EARC source. I.e. I don't see the Sonos picture anymore, if I change to the Sonos source.

2) a quick unplug and replug of the HDMI cable from the ARC fixes the issue.

Might be worth checking these two issues/fixes to confirm same issue?

Userlevel 5
Badge +16

Hello @TimCooper

Welcome to the Sonos community and thank you for reaching out with your issue.

Are you able to disable to the eArc setting on your Samsung TV and does this make any difference in the signal connection with your Arc?

You should be able to find this under the Advanced Audio Settings in your TV.

I am seeing that the Arc itself is losing the connection from the Samsung TV whether this is due to the way that eARC has been implemented on Samsung TVs or if its due to a physical connection issue, I’m not yet sure. We have had issues in the past even with the HDMI/ARC implementation on Samsung TVs. In the past have suggested testing Sonos HT devices with the included optical adapter to see if this provides more stable performance.

Please continue to keep us posted on your situation so that we can assist you further.      

Userlevel 4
Badge +2

Hello @TimCooper

Welcome to the Sonos community and thank you for reaching out with your issue.

Are you able to disable to the eArc setting on your Samsung TV and does this make any difference in the signal connection with your Arc?

You should be able to find this under the Advanced Audio Settings in your TV.

I am seeing that the Arc itself is losing the connection from the Samsung TV whether this is due to the way that eARC has been implemented on Samsung TVs or if its due to a physical connection issue, I’m not yet sure. We have had issues in the past even with the HDMI/ARC implementation on Samsung TVs. In the past have suggested testing Sonos HT devices with the included optical adapter to see if this provides more stable performance.

Please continue to keep us posted on your situation so that we can assist you further.      

Hi Jean,  People are reporting similar issues beyond the Samsung TVs (Sony and LG TVs are also mentioned, in addition to sourcing from TV and Apple apps). Seems unlikely a physical connection issue unless it is on the Sonos Arc itself. See here:

https://en.community.sonos.com/home-theater-228993/sonos-arc-samsung-q90t-sound-cutting-out-anyone-else-6843526

Things seem to be more stable for me at moment though not fully stable. When watching Dolby Atmos content (I have an Xbox One feeding to a QT90), I’m seeing a very brief audio cut-out about once every 20 to 30 minutes now (almost seems like clockwork). This has been regardless of the app being run (Netflix, Disney+, MS Movies & TV). I’ll see if the built-in apps exhibit the same problem (they did when the issue was happening once every minute or so). As a note, the Xbox is up-mixing everything as Dolby Atmos.

While moving to optical is technically an option BUT then there is no Dolby Atmos, which defeats the purpose of this set up.

Hi Jean,

EARC is disabled. If I turn it on, I get no audio at all to the Sonos ARC. Seems a lot more stable now, but will keep an eye on it and confirm.

Would be great to get EARC sorted though?

Userlevel 5
Badge +16

Hello @Talvish, thank you for the heads up and the additional information. 

It’s interesting that you are experiencing this audio disturbance on such a mechanical time frame, I’d be interested in seeing a diagnostic report from your system if you haven’t already submitted one.   

Userlevel 4
Badge +2

@Jean C. I’ll see if I can submit one when we watch something on that TV (never submitted one before but looks pretty straightforward). I thought it was odd too, but while watching Hamilton on Disney+ another movie on MS Movies & TV, it would happen in that range.

Userlevel 5
Badge +16

Thanks @Talvish, I’ll look forward to it.

Just be sure to post the number in this thread so that I can take a look. 

Userlevel 4
Badge +2

@Jean C. , here are the diagnostic numbers. These issues occurred about 28 minutes a part. I took the older diagnostic about 1 to 2 minutes after the cut-out (phone was in a different room). The newer diagnostic was probably within a minute.

Hope this helps.

Userlevel 5
Badge +16

Hi @Talvish,

Am I correct in understanding that this 20-30 minute drop seems to occur only when using your Xbox but when using smart app native to the TV, its far more frequent?

Have you tested audio with eARC switched off to verify that this is the source of the issue?

Can you also test audio on a smart TV app and include a diagnostic report captured within 5 minutes of any skipping or dropping?  

Userlevel 4
Badge +2

Hi @Jean C. , was there anything of note in the diagnostics I did send?

Regarding your questions:

I haven’t been able to test the TV apps for the 20 to 30 minute issue. When I tried on the weekend, I only had about 15 minutes and there were no audio drops.

I also haven’t tried the Xbox with eARC off recently.

I can try to do these later today.

I can say in the past (I believe prior to the last firmware updates and reboot/reconnect of the Arc), I was getting audio drops much more frequently from the both the Xbox and the native TV apps and it didn’t matter if eARC was on or off. Though I recall at least two cases that when eARC was on that I got audio drops and you could see the TV saying that it was switching from eARC to regular ARC, even though I didn’t do anything.

I also want to try a power boot of the Arc again to see how things change but I’ll wait until after doing the above items.

Userlevel 5
Badge +16

Hello @Talvish,

Basically I saw a whole lot of lost signal connection between the Arc and the av source so I’d like to get some additional diagnostics from other HT sources to see if this is consistent across your system.   

Userlevel 4
Badge +2

@Jean C. , interesting, are you saying you saw it more than just the two times I reported (so there are some ‘micro’ blips that aren’t noticeable)? 

Also, I’m assuming the AV Source is the TV, so the question is if the Xbox is loosing signal to the TV (and therefore to the Arc) or it is the TV to the Arc? I can say the Xbox hasn’t had audio issues before, though it has only done Atmos as part of this setup (and it is always Atmos given the way the Xbox works).

Userlevel 5
Badge +16

@Talvish 

That’s actually what I’m trying to determine. It’s more than likely an issue with the TV passing on the signal but I’d like to see if it happens on streaming apps in the TV itself along with other sources.

Badge

Hi Guys,

i am new to the forum & have the Sonos ARC also & i am also experiencing audio drops. My setup is Samsung TV UE55KS7000 model with connect box, hdmi 1 connected to Ziggo Next box for cable TV this hdmi cable is non-CEC enabled to ensure no interference with Sonos ARC, hdmi 4 ARC capable with premium high speed hdmi cable connected to the Sonos ARC. The audio drops either when watching cable tv or using native apps like netflix on tv randomly but today audio dropped & never returned for no apparent reason. I submitted a diagnostic report: Your confirmation number is: 1906937258 hopefully Sonos engineers can help out here.

Userlevel 5
Badge +16

Hello @rrgn,

Welcome to the Sonos Community and thank you for reaching out with your diagnostic report.

Are you able to verify that the CEC feature is set up on your Samsung TV? I believe that it is called Anynet + on Samsung.

Are you also able to verify which Audio Format your TV is passing to Sonos via HDMI/ARC?

Badge

Hi Jean,

yes Anynet is enabled On TV & passes DD5.1 through to the ARC but as i mentioned in my first post the ARC is connected but no audio whatsoever i can toggle between tv speakers & Sonos ARC hdmi 4 but silence, my setup has been working this week with random audio drops now no audio. Would it help to submit another diag report with the current status?

Badge

I also have the same as Tim mentioned

1) As noted during the issue, I have always lost the Sonos signal from the ARC source. I.e. I don't see the Sonos picture anymore, if I change to the Sonos source.
2) the S2 app shows no audio in even though TV audio ouput is via ARC & Sonos ARC is connected via hdmi

Userlevel 5
Badge +16

Hello @rrgn,

Thank you for the additional information and yes, more diagnostics would be helpful.

I wasn’t seeing that the HDMI/Arc or CEC feature were engaged with your Arc on the previous diagnostic.

Can you include a picture of the port that the Arc is plugged into and verify that it is definitely the ARC port?

If you go into Settings > System >  Family Room, do you see an option to complete home theater set-up?

You would also do well to enable the WiFi feature on your Arc if you plan to use Airplay or add any surround speakers or a Sub in the future. 

Badge

Hi Jean,

the Arc is connected via Ethernet port & is in the same home network as my wifi devices so i can already use airplay & if i add sub or rears i will enable wifi.

as stated the Arc just doesn’t sync with tv & therefore no audio i captured hdmi issue on tv screen & foto as it is the ARC port, screen shot shows Verbinden which is dutch but translates to connecting but it doesn’t

Badge

If you go into Settings > System >  Family Room, do you see an option to complete home theater set-up? No i don’t

Same issue here with brand new setup on Samsung Q90T and Sonos Arc.  Sound doesn’t work after turning on TV and must disable eArc and reEnable eArc to get sound back.  Following this thread and hoping for a solution!

Userlevel 5
Badge +16

Hello @rrgn,

Thank you for the additional information about your system. 

Have you tried rebooting your TV by unplugging it from power?

Have you disabled and then re-enabled Samsung’s CEC / Anynet + feature?

If you disable eARC, does this behavior change?  

If you could send along an updated diagnostic report as well, I can see if there is any change in the connection status and signal being received by your Arc.

@10CentVincent, welcome to the party and please let us know if anything here helps your situation any. 

Badge

Hi Jean,

yes i have done all the above but alas no audio at all the tv displays connecting to hdmi as shown in my previous post, i can toggle between tv speakers hdmi arc port which ARC is connected to this should then be activating hdmi handshake but simply doesn’t work. Let me turn tv back on & see what happens & wonders will never cease audio is back this seems weird now playing netflix via tv app

when is the best time to send diag report?

Userlevel 5
Badge +16

@rrgn,

Thank you for your response.

After you restart everything, best to give the system at least 20 minutes of run-time and audio testing before submitting a diagnostic report.