Answered

Beam IR sensor stopped recognizing remotes

Show first post

95 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi again @Nvc 

I’ve had a discussion with a colleague on this since my last post.

We recommend you connect your Beam to the TV with HDMI, if that’s an option, so that IR is no longer relevant (though I guess that would prevent volume control of music via the remote while the TV is off - it really depends on the TV).

Also, or alternatively, you could try programming the Beam to use a different remote - see if that works more reliably or differently. If you like the Shield remote as much as I do, this less than ideal, but it will at least let us narrow down the possibilities.

Note that if you do both of these - connect Beam to HDMI and program it to use another remote - you’d only need to use the alternate remote when the TV is off (probably).

Please keep me updated on how you get on. Thanks.

Userlevel 4
Badge +3

I too have had this maddening issue on and off for months.

Response of the Beam to the volume and mute buttons on my remote is highly erratic.  Sometimes I can press mute ten times in a short space of time and it recognises every press.  Sometimes it won’t recognise any of them.  More often than not it will recognise 2-4 of the ten presses.

I have eliminated all of the possible causes suggested here (https://support.sonos.com/s/article/3404?language=en_US) by using brand new batteries, while standing six inches from the Beam in a pitch black room.  The issue persists.

I have noticed that if I try to set up the same remote again, the Sonos app will often either:

(a) immediately go from “Point your TV remote at Beam and press Volume+” to “We didn’t detect a signal from the remote...” before I’ve even had a chance to press the volume button on the remote, or

(b) the white status light will flicker or flash sporadically while the app is telling me to “Point your TV remote at Beam and press Volume+”, when I’m not pressing any buttons

This suggests to me that the Beam sometimes thinks it is receiving an IR signal when it isn’t, and that this issue which many of us are seeing is caused by the Beam being confused between these “ghost” signals, and the signal it is actually receiving from the remote.

Long story short, I think there is a bug somewhere in the Beam firmware.

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @ScottyNic 

Thanks for sharing that, and I’m glad to hear it!

Good news! My Beam's remote volume controls now works again with latest firmware (v13.0 build 62186220). Will check it out for the next couple of days to confirm

I have noticed that if I try to set up the same remote again, the Sonos app will often either:

(a) immediately go from “Point your TV remote at Beam and press Volume+” to “We didn’t detect a signal from the remote...” before I’ve even had a chance to press the volume button on the remote, or

Yes, I have noticed that same thing too with the app when trying to set up the remote again.

My 2 year old Beam just started loosing control by IR remote (but come back after restart) - I have read the 65 different reply - what is status after two years discussion?
Is there a fix - are newer BEAM fixed - or should I look for 3rd Sound options?

The three more common reasons in the past for this have been either

1. weak IR signals, where the remote just needs fresh batteries
  2. a Plasma TV casting enough interfering light to block the IR signal getting to the sensor in the Sonos
  3.  physical blockage of the IR sensor on the Sonos that is keeping the signal from reaching its intended target.

However, ‘more common’ does not preclude the potential failure of the IR sensor, something which I wouldn’t expect to show up on a diagnostic. Your best bet would be to call Sonos Support directly to discuss it.

When you speak directly to the phone folks, there are more options available for them to assist you.

******** case

Can Sonos please acknowledge this problem. It is being totally ignored or fobbed off.

Mod Edit: Identifying information removed

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @Dchighpoint 

For your existing case, I can only recommend you get back in touch with our technical support team to complete troubleshooting.

I'm getting bored of switching the beam on and off off to restore the remote control. When are you going to sort this.?

I have two beams, both connected via optical but only one has the problem, replacement made no difference.

One thing I may do at some point is switch them over see if the problem follows the device

Please let us know. I am going to try to move mine to a different tv and see what happens.

When the beam loses infrared control from a TV remote it is being controlled by wi-fi. To restore infrared control one has to unplug or switch off the beam to restore normal control. Resetting the beam is not an option as one loses the true sound setup.  Would it be possible to have a control button which in effect recycles the beam so in  effect the power to it switched off then on without physically doing so.?

Userlevel 1

I'm not new to sonos, but am new to beam. Mine has failed to recognize my samsung IR remote since day 1. Like others I've tried about every remote in the house, it just wont recognize any ir signal. I'm ok with it but nobody else around my house is, especially my wife. Probably end up returning it to costco

Badge

Brief update. The same issue with the IR and inability of changing volume occurred again today. I noticed that when this happened, the status led on the Beam does not flash when pressing the volume up/down on the remote. I rebooted the Beam and it started working again: this time you can see the Led flashing on Beam when pressing the volume buttons on the remote. 

Hi @jamesandjaque ,

For testing purposes, can you try using another TV remote to your Beam temporarily? If the issue occurs using another TV remote, try factory resetting the Beam to default and set it up again as new product. Let me know if the issue still continues after trying these steps.

@Sebastien D. 

Sorry I didn’t respond sooner. We have done a factory reset and as per usual it works for a bit and then stops. 

Badge

Hi. I’ve recently purchased a Beam. Software 13.1.4. Same issue. IR sensor just stops responding. Tried all usual fixes. Only a power cycle works. Any update anyone? It’s really annoying 

My Sonos Beam has the same symptoms it works sometimes after a reset. After reading all post in this thread seems like calling support is a waste of time, has been more than a year and still not a firmware update that fixes the problem. Waste $400 on a “good” soundbar that can’t control with a remote, Sonos I thought you were a better brand, I guess I was wrong. We will have to continue with Bose or something else.

Yes. I even had mine replaced and the replacement has the same issue. It seems to have some link to asking Alexa to do something. If you don’y use Alexa it’s fine for week. @Sonos just ignored my support requests thereafter. Utter rubbish… Still!

My Sonos Beam has the same symptoms it works sometimes after a reset. After reading all post in this thread seems like calling support is a waste of time, has been more than a year and still not a firmware update that fixes the problem. Waste $400 on a “good” soundbar that can’t control with a remote, Sonos I thought you were a better brand, I guess I was wrong. We will have to continue with Bose or something else.

Yes. I even had mine replaced and the replacement has the same issue. It seems to have some link to asking Alexa to do something. If you don’y use Alexa it’s fine for week. @Sonos just ignored my support requests thereafter. Utter rubbish… Still!

In my case is even worse since I’m outside US I can’t return it, shipping it back will be super expensive. I guess it was my first and last Sonos product. At least they should acknowledge the issue or even compensate us with something. 

Customer reports the same problem with the beam. Appears to work for about 8 to 12 hours then is unresponsive to the comcast remote. No volume change and no lights. Otherwise the system works. IR receiver seems to be locked up and power cycling the beam resolves the issue for 8 to 12 hours before repeats. We replaced the Beam and the problem persists.