Answered

Beam IR sensor stopped recognizing remotes

Show first post

95 replies

I’m having the same issue. Resetting the Beam fixes it. It’s not batteries, and it’s not about the sensor getting flooded. There are a few threads on the forums about the same issue. I hope Sonos takes note as I’m also thinking of sending this back, like many others.

Have you contacted a Sonos support directly?

I just bought a beam and installed it and the volume will no work with my remote at all.  When it was hooked up to the HDMI it would, but I had to change it to the optical because I was told that is the only way to play the other video and gaming components I have running through the TV.  Now the only way we can control the volume is through the ap on my phone. So my kids can’t change the volume unless my husband or I am around - which is frustrating. I also don’t like that I have to do that. I’ve created a case, but have been told it will take 7 days before I hear back from someone. After reading all these posts, it seems like this has been an issue for a while.  Has there been a resolution? 

Weak IR can’t be resolved by a restart….

Yes I have but no solution as yet.

Userlevel 4
Badge +11

No problem at all James. We are very aware of this issue and I will certainly take your feedback into consideration. 

I am having this same problem. Bought a Beam (my first Sonos product) just before Christmas - it’s been fine for the first three weeks with both my Sky Q remote and OneForAll remote controlling the volume on it without issue, but the other day suddenly stopped being responsive to either device. I can see that both remotes are working, but the Beam doesn’t pick them up (no flashing lights on the top). As with others a hard reset sorts it out temporarily. I’ve never paid so much for a sound bar so to say this is disappointing is an understatement. Clearly the issue has been know about for a long time and obviously nothing has been done to fix it. If there is no long term fix then I’m guessing the best option is to send it back and get a refund.

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @Mark Huddleston 

If the suggested steps above don’t help, I recommend you get in touch with our technical support team.

Not the most elegant solution, but I’ve sometimes recommended taping a 3x5 card on the Beam so it shades the sensor from the light emitted by the Plasma TV. There’s probably more attractive ways to shield it, but it’s an easy test. 

Userlevel 4
Badge +11

Hi,

I appreciate that you've gone through those steps previously, now what I need to establish is whether or not your remote is sending IR commands. 
1. Open the camera app on your phone
2. Point the IR sensor into the camera lens while pressing the volume up button.
3. If your remote is sending IR commands then you should see a purple flicker.

This step is important as it determines whether the issue is the remote not sending IR commands or the Sonos Beam not receiving/recognizing these commands.

Please also note that the IR sensor on your Beam is at the very bottom on the front of the Beam. Please make sure nothing is obscuring this sensor.

Same issue here - with latest firmware and Nvidia shield remote. It just stops working, the status light no longer blinks when pressing the volume buttons. A power cycle is the only thing that gets it working again (so it’s not related to light sources or low remote batteries)

Confirming the same issue as in this thread.

Beam all of a sudden lost IR response. Unable to do a remove control setup.

Need to hard reset the Beam but unplugging it, appears to work for a bit but then loses connection again.

This is not a remote battery or tv firmware issue. It’s the Beam that’s causing the problem.

Sorry, I meant it to be a Beam Firmware issue - not something els like the remote. 

Here’s an interesting update to something I noticed last night: 

1. Like others here, when I do a hard reboot (power out) i regain IR control, only to lose it again in a day or so
  2. Yesterday morning, i realized I had lost control, but didnt have the time to get behind the unit and pull the plug….
  3. Yesterday my wife started playing music from the Sonos app from our Kitchen Play5 and also to the Beam in the bedroom while she was doing house chores. (grouped)
  4. later that night, forgetting that I had lost IR control and failed to reboot (in 2 above) I was wacthing a show and went to control the volume - and it worked! I was suprised when it occued to me I hadnt rebooted it. 

So what does this tell me? This probably has something to do with bugs in the various modes of the Beam. What I do every day is: start a playlist from SXM as an Alarm,  talk to Alexa in the morning to hear weather, call out voice command for playing streams various source ( generally Amazon Music and SXM streams) while I’m getting ready for work, etc.. Then later that evening when watching a show is when I notice loss of IR control. 

So I’m going to try and recreate this flow:

1) doing what I normally do in the morning and see if I later have loss of IR control. 2) spawn music from another play to also play in the bedrom. 3) see if regain IR control. 

Wondering if somehow voice control with Alexa is getting into the mix here… 

Just received my replacement unit after having the same problem as all of you were describing.

And after a day, it does the same. Just sent a link of this thread to Sonos support.

I can’t believe they’re just ignoring this!

I tested it again as well today -- version 13.1.3. No luck here.

Set up everything using IR, watch TV, increase/decrease volume via IR remote worked, switched to playing something on Spotify using the Sonos app, and then turning on TV again (which outputted TV sound to the Beam) stops the Beam from receiving any IR commands from the remote. Very reproducible..

Userlevel 4
Badge +11

@Sub-Xel,

Thanks for the update. Yes, that might help for reducing IR interference due to (direct sunlight, Plasma TV’s, 

Fluorescent lights,  etc.)

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @Nvc 

Earlier, you mentioned using a nVidia Shield remote. Although the Shield itself has an IR detector (so it can be used with other remotes), the Shield remote doesn’t transmit IR. Therefore, the Beam cannot detect it. CEC will be needed for remote commands to function in this case, and CEC is only available via an HDMI connection, not the optical connection.

As CEC is being used, and it sounds like the remote functions until the TV goes off and on again, I first recommend you unplug the TV from power for at least 30 seconds. If that doesn’t help, then please repeat but while the TV is off, disconnect all HDMI devices apart from the Beam and Shield. Test and if all goes well, connect the other HDMI devices back to the TV one at a time and test each time until you’ve found the device causing the problem. Disable CEC on this device. If you are unable to disable, you will need to get a CEC-less adaptor to strip the CEC channel from the connection.

If, however, you’re not using the Shield remote but a IR remote instead, then the IR commands are being blocked by the active HDMI connection, by design. In other words, when the TV is on and the Beam is connected to it via HDMI, IR commands are ignored by the Beam. You could connect the Beam to the TV with the optical adaptor instead - this would result in the Beam never ignoring the IR commands, but you would lose voice control of the TV’s power in this case (unless the TV has it’s own voice control, of course). There would be no reduction in TV sound quality from the Beam while using the optical connection, but you may need to tell the TV not to use it’s own speakers.

I hope this helps

Badge

[..]

The Beam has been replaced and like others say the symptoms are the same. Its IR sensor goes ‘blind’ after a period of time. Resolved by unplugging and plugging back in again. This is ridiculous for a £400 speaker!

Product support are now outright refusing to do anything about it and still maintain that there is no product or firmware issue. Life is way too short for this!

Support reference 01979926

I do have the very same issue. Sonos connected to Sky Q black set top box via the optical to HDMI connector. I opted for this setup because unfortunately my TV does not support dolby pass through from HDMI to ARC nor optical. Thus, the only way to get Dolby 5.1 was to connect Sonos directly to the Sky Q set top box. After initial setup the volume via IR works fine with either the TV IR remote or the Sky Q remote (which is a combo Bluetooth/IR, but volumes gets controlled via IR). However after some days the IR on Beam just stops working without any environmental change (position of the Beam, light etc). In fact the issue is solved by power cycling the Beam. The problem is very much reproducible, and happens every few days. So it definitively seems like a SW / firmware issue that stuck the IR sensor.

Is Sonos listening to this and providing any fix? 

Thanks 

Hi @Nvc 

Earlier, you mentioned using a nVidia Shield remote. Although the Shield itself has an IR detector (so it can be used with other remotes), the Shield remote doesn’t transmit IR. Therefore, the Beam cannot detect it. CEC will be needed for remote commands to function in this case, and CEC is only available via an HDMI connection, not the optical connection.

As CEC is being used, and it sounds like the remote functions until the TV goes off and on again, I first recommend you unplug the TV from power for at least 30 seconds. If that doesn’t help, then please repeat but while the TV is off, disconnect all HDMI devices apart from the Beam and Shield. Test and if all goes well, connect the other HDMI devices back to the TV one at a time and test each time until you’ve found the device causing the problem. Disable CEC on this device. If you are unable to disable, you will need to get a CEC-less adaptor to strip the CEC channel from the connection.

If, however, you’re not using the Shield remote but a IR remote instead, then the IR commands are being blocked by the active HDMI connection, by design. In other words, when the TV is on and the Beam is connected to it via HDMI, IR commands are ignored by the Beam. You could connect the Beam to the TV with the optical adaptor instead - this would result in the Beam never ignoring the IR commands, but you would lose voice control of the TV’s power in this case (unless the TV has it’s own voice control, of course). There would be no reduction in TV sound quality from the Beam while using the optical connection, but you may need to tell the TV not to use it’s own speakers.

I hope this helps

Hi, thanks for the explanation! But I’m not sure you’re right -- I have the latest Nvidia Shield and the remote does indeed have an IR blaster:

SHIELD Remote
> Microphone for voice search and commands
> Motion-activated backlit buttons
> Bluetooth connectivity
> IR blaster for control of volume and power on TVs, soundbars, or receivers
> Remote locator for finding a lost remote 
> 2x AAA batteries included

It works initially, I see the light on top of the Beam blink when I press volume up or down. But when I play music through the Sonos app and then turn my tv back on, the Beam switches to TV audio (so it seems it detected the sound coming from the optical port) but the light on the Beam no longer blinks if I press volume up or down.

I’ll try with the TV remote, maybe it has a stronger signal.

I still believe the Beam is at fault -- when I do a power cycle, it received IR commands again...

Same issue. Happens almost like clock work every few months.

I found that toggling the “use IR” button in the app then running “remote control setup” worked. 

Userlevel 4
Badge +3

Has there been an official fix for this yet. 

No. And there never will be. As far as Sonos are concerned, this issue doesn't even exist. Or at least, if it exists then it's not their problem. I suppose we must all have completely separate, unrelated problems, and the fact that we're all using Sonos products is just a coincidence. 

No problem at all James. We are very aware of this issue and I will certainly take your feedback into consideration. 

Sonos are not taking this seriously. My previous post was ignored. I suspect this one will be too.

I have wasted hours of my time backwards and forwards, calls, emails, submitting diagnostics for this problem that everybody in Sonos pretends does not exist:

• Connect the cables and power on in xyzzy order
  • Is there IR interference
  • Swap the Beam for the one in another room
  • Connect it with optical rather than HDMI

The Beam has been replaced and like others say the symptoms are the same. Its IR sensor goes ‘blind’ after a period of time. Resolved by unplugging and plugging back in again. This is ridiculous for a £400 speaker!

Product support are now outright refusing to do anything about it and still maintain that there is no product or firmware issue. Life is way too short for this!

Support reference 01979926

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @Nvc 

Apologies -  as I had checked the Remote settings on my own Shield and didn’t find any IR reference, I presumed there wasn’t an IR function. It turns out it’s in the Display & Sound section, for some reason.

So your Beam is already connected via optical? That would negate the rest of what I said previously.

I can only recommend you get in touch with our technical support team and make all of this clear to them at the start. I wouldn’t expect an immediate fix, but as it’s an unknown situation it will at least get flagged for investigation. If the Beam IR function doesn’t work even at very short range, be sure to mention this early. I would test it myself, but I don’t have a Beam here at home.

I still believe the Beam is at fault -- when I do a power cycle, it received IR commands again...

Given that only the Beam and remote are involved, I’d be inclined to agree with you.

Is that what Support said to you? Most interesting.

Someone else posted this: 

“It sounds like the IR may be turning off and converting back to RF via commands from the TV. Could I get the make/model of the TV? If the remote has a model number, please include that as well.”

Is this something that’s possible? That the TV (Sony in my case) turns off the IR functionality through the optical connection when it turns on? :thinking: