ATMOS - Request! Would you buy new speaker if SONOS would release new playbar??

• 15 November 2017
  • 34 replies

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

34 replies

I suspect that voice control of their range (starting with the Play One) is consuming most of their time at the moment, but Atmos support would definitely be on my wish list, with the idea being I could start with a basic configuration and add speakers. By basic, I'm talking about a couple of Play 5's in a stereo (music) / Atmos (theadtre) configuration. The specs for the Play 5 tell us that it uses 6 amplifiers for the 6 speakers. If that's true and all amps can be individually controlled, I'd imagine there would be all kinds of trickery possible to produce immersive sound. After all, there are already Atmos sound bars on the market so it would seem ceiling, rear, etc. speakers are not essential for Atmos.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
I'm sick and tired of not having a portable Sonos speaker. Whenever I take my cats for a walk I do like to have some really good music (My cats prefer Classical when walking and Jazz when hunting). I'm forced to carry a portable generator in my back-pack and because Sonos REFUSE to make a wireless pair of headphones I can only hear really loud music.

Also. Why is it that Sonos won't play my Mac computer sounds? My Play 3s are literally right behind the screen and now matter how much tinkering or setting changes I make they simply refuse to play my computer audio. When I watch one of my favourite Dr Sandra Lee zit popping videos do I want to hear the sounds on my crappy iMac speakers? Of course not! I want to be able to hear them all over my house.

And another thing. Why can't I index my 1 million songs? That's just dumb

I've spent nigh on £3,000 and if I don't see an improvement soon - No more updates, there's too many, the current app is rubbish. And why can't I control the system with hand gestures? It works with my wife? - I'm trashing the lot and I'm going to move to Antarctica AND I'm going to make myself sick.

So there!
Userlevel 7
Badge +21
I really like Sonos and whenever I need a speaker then I always look to them first. This is why I was so disappointed when I was looking for in-wall speakers and they don't have something like that.

I definitely hope that they will release more products and if they were to release a new playbar, I would totally get it. Same goes for in-wall or in-ceiling speakers.

For interest sake, I decided to go with **** ********

This is just a blatant advert. One post from a new account and you are promoting a poor competitor!
I really like Sonos and whenever I need a speaker then I always look to them first. This is why I was so disappointed when I was looking for in-wall speakers and they don't have something like that.

I definitely hope that they will release more products and if they were to release a new playbar, I would totally get it. Same goes for in-wall or in-ceiling speakers.

For interest sake, I decided to go with Bose Virtually Invisible speakers . I am still waiting for the delivery but hopefully, it won't disappoint.
I’m wondering when Sonos will figure out they need to offer in Wall/in ceiling speakers. I’m actually prototyping my own ceiling mount for such a thing now.
I currently have 4xPLAY1. As soon as Sonos supports DTS and Atmos, I will buy a PLAYBAR, and another PLAY1 for 5.1 surround. I won't make this purchase until there is at least an announcement that it will work on today's hardware. I can't throw out my 5.1 setup unless I know the PLAYBAR will be able to play audio from Netflix without downconverting to stereo.

If there's not an announcement by CES this year, I'll likely stick with my current speaker and upgrade my big clunky receiver to get Atmos support.
Userlevel 2
I'm going to buy new 4K HDR TV in spring and if they won't release new Playbar with Atmos and DTS support, I am gonna buy other sound system and slowly phase out my Sonos sound system, and pass it to someone else.

It simply makes no sense - Netflix supports Atmos, Apple TV 4K will as well, why anybody with top quality TV would buy Sonos Playbar?

Would definitely buy new playbar if it had Atmos, DTS and would allow connected bluetooth headsets so I could listen through headphones late in night to not wake anybody.
Userlevel 3
Badge +4
I agree with UKMedia, I'd rather have DTS support. I just got my 5.1 setup this year, so I think I can live without Atmos for a while! 🙂
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
Not sure if this would really bring any major benefit without new players as Atmos benefits primarily from driving a 7+1(or 2)+2 ceiling speaker configuration and at present Sonos supports a Playbar/Playbase + 2 surrounds + Sub at best.

With the current hardware available support for a DTS codec would be much more beneficial but as you'll see throughout the forum this doesn't look like it will happen soon. 😞