ATMOS - Request! Would you buy new speaker if SONOS would release new playbar??

• 15 November 2017
  • 34 replies

Userlevel 1
  • Contributor I
  • 5 replies
Just trying to figure out how to engage Community to push sonos for atmos implementation.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

34 replies

Userlevel 2
I'm going to buy new 4K HDR TV in spring and if they won't release new Playbar with Atmos and DTS support, I am gonna buy other sound system and slowly phase out my Sonos sound system, and pass it to someone else.

It simply makes no sense - Netflix supports Atmos, Apple TV 4K will as well, why anybody with top quality TV would buy Sonos Playbar?

Would definitely buy new playbar if it had Atmos, DTS and would allow connected bluetooth headsets so I could listen through headphones late in night to not wake anybody.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
I'm sick and tired of not having a portable Sonos speaker. Whenever I take my cats for a walk I do like to have some really good music (My cats prefer Classical when walking and Jazz when hunting). I'm forced to carry a portable generator in my back-pack and because Sonos REFUSE to make a wireless pair of headphones I can only hear really loud music.

Also. Why is it that Sonos won't play my Mac computer sounds? My Play 3s are literally right behind the screen and now matter how much tinkering or setting changes I make they simply refuse to play my computer audio. When I watch one of my favourite Dr Sandra Lee zit popping videos do I want to hear the sounds on my crappy iMac speakers? Of course not! I want to be able to hear them all over my house.

And another thing. Why can't I index my 1 million songs? That's just dumb

I've spent nigh on £3,000 and if I don't see an improvement soon - No more updates, there's too many, the current app is rubbish. And why can't I control the system with hand gestures? It works with my wife? - I'm trashing the lot and I'm going to move to Antarctica AND I'm going to make myself sick.

So there!
I currently have 4xPLAY1. As soon as Sonos supports DTS and Atmos, I will buy a PLAYBAR, and another PLAY1 for 5.1 surround. I won't make this purchase until there is at least an announcement that it will work on today's hardware. I can't throw out my 5.1 setup unless I know the PLAYBAR will be able to play audio from Netflix without downconverting to stereo.

If there's not an announcement by CES this year, I'll likely stick with my current speaker and upgrade my big clunky receiver to get Atmos support.
I suspect that voice control of their range (starting with the Play One) is consuming most of their time at the moment, but Atmos support would definitely be on my wish list, with the idea being I could start with a basic configuration and add speakers. By basic, I'm talking about a couple of Play 5's in a stereo (music) / Atmos (theadtre) configuration. The specs for the Play 5 tell us that it uses 6 amplifiers for the 6 speakers. If that's true and all amps can be individually controlled, I'd imagine there would be all kinds of trickery possible to produce immersive sound. After all, there are already Atmos sound bars on the market so it would seem ceiling, rear, etc. speakers are not essential for Atmos.
Badge
I see a lot of people complaining about other people's preferences with respect to their deployment of Sonos systems.

YES, SONOS is supposed to be SIMPLE! We get it. But it is supposed to be more than that. It always has been.

Do most people care about supporting the latest and greatest features? NO.

But if Sonos is supposed to be the END ALL BE ALL SPEAKER or positioned anywhere near that, then it needs to cater also to those that have (even more) money to throw around (like "basic" Sonos customers) and that want "more advanced" features supported by a number of providers now.

That means ATMOS and/ or DTS.

I know many audio/ video hard core fans and they have all but convinced me that an Atmos experience is not only superior and fun, but something I should seriously consider buying into. I will never spend as much as they suggest on large numbers of speakers, because I don't need that kind of experience. But, as I understand it, even sound bars with Atmos are already a pretty great improvement when the Atmos experience is supported. If I have a Sonos household, why wouldn't I want Sonos to release something that fits into it?

I am fine going elsewhere, I don't live or die by attachments to brands, but that doesn't mean I wouldn't prefer one solution over another.

If Sonos were to release an Atmos/DTS compatible sound bar today, I would hands down buy it today. As it stands, I'm considering alternate brands. This means having to weigh smart speaker systems (now that Alexa enabled is a thing), form factor, performance, and price points ALONG WITH SUPPORT FOR "advanced features" such as Atmos and/or DTS.
Userlevel 2
I currently have 4xPLAY1. As soon as Sonos supports DTS and Atmos, I will buy a PLAYBAR, and another PLAY1 for 5.1 surround. I won't make this purchase until there is at least an announcement that it will work on today's hardware. I can't throw out my 5.1 setup unless I know the PLAYBAR will be able to play audio from Netflix without downconverting to stereo.

If there's not an announcement by CES this year, I'll likely stick with my current speaker and upgrade my big clunky receiver to get Atmos support.

I'm not aware of any video streaming service that supports anything higher that a Dolby Digital Plus at present. I have a substantial investment in an AV Receiver and Mordant Short speakers, in additional to my Sonos set-up, and love listening to good film sound tracks in DTS and Atmos but only from physical disks.
netflix has lots in Atmos
Userlevel 4
Badge +2
I won't purchase another Sonos product until they offer support for modern hd-audio formats. Calling this a "home theater" solution is laughable without the inclusion of Atmos, DTS, Master Audio.
DTS licenses Play-Fi, a direct competitor to SonosNet. For Sonos to license DTS would be supporting its competitor. Not something they are likely to do without compelling business reasons. Especially considering Sonos is focused on streaming, and DTS is primarily available on disks.

Personally, I find the sound effects on modern movies to be a huge distraction from the dialogue, and have little use for all these sound processing systems. Give me a movie with a great story, skip all the effects, please.
I have an LG 65E7P OLED as well as a Sonos Playbar, Sub and two Play 5s in my living room. Now that I have a TV which supports Dolby Atmos, and content is becoming available I really want a Playbar that supports Atmos (as well as the other formats currently missing). I've been considering the Yamaha YSP-5600, but love the quality of the sound I get through Sonos and the streaming. Sonos, please sort it out... you're seriously falling behind. I've heavily invested in your products, but people like me will start finding better options if you don't innovate.
^ but what about the very people that buy Sonos because ifs SIMPLE. Surely these outweigh you guys desiring ATMOS and the necessity to have 50 speakers situated around your room. To be honest, it’s ridiculous. It’s neved going to take off beyond 5.1 which is more than enough for people who want better sound sound than a TV. However many years in, I can’t think of that many friends who even having 5.1. Yet here you are talking as if ATMOS warning buyers are keeping Sonos afloat. No, simple design and good sound for better than your TV is. Sure, they can uodste if.. but let’s be reasonable about who it’s aimed at to begin with.
Why not have an advanced PlayBar for those of us, and there are many who want the advanced features and continue supporting the current one for those who like the simplicity. Sonos with its hefty price is a premium product.
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
Not sure if this would really bring any major benefit without new players as Atmos benefits primarily from driving a 7+1(or 2)+2 ceiling speaker configuration and at present Sonos supports a Playbar/Playbase + 2 surrounds + Sub at best.

With the current hardware available support for a DTS codec would be much more beneficial but as you'll see throughout the forum this doesn't look like it will happen soon. 😞
Userlevel 3
Badge +4
I agree with UKMedia, I'd rather have DTS support. I just got my 5.1 setup this year, so I think I can live without Atmos for a while! 🙂
I’m wondering when Sonos will figure out they need to offer in Wall/in ceiling speakers. I’m actually prototyping my own ceiling mount for such a thing now.
I really like Sonos and whenever I need a speaker then I always look to them first. This is why I was so disappointed when I was looking for in-wall speakers and they don't have something like that.

I definitely hope that they will release more products and if they were to release a new playbar, I would totally get it. Same goes for in-wall or in-ceiling speakers.

For interest sake, I decided to go with Bose Virtually Invisible speakers . I am still waiting for the delivery but hopefully, it won't disappoint.
Userlevel 7
Badge +21
I really like Sonos and whenever I need a speaker then I always look to them first. This is why I was so disappointed when I was looking for in-wall speakers and they don't have something like that.

I definitely hope that they will release more products and if they were to release a new playbar, I would totally get it. Same goes for in-wall or in-ceiling speakers.

For interest sake, I decided to go with **** ********

This is just a blatant advert. One post from a new account and you are promoting a poor competitor!
https://www.reddit.com/r/LinusTechTips/comments/7hkr0g/sonos_wireless_hifi_speaker_system_part_1_and On the verge of selling my playbar myself... Thanks!
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
I think a Connect like device that creates an Atmos Sonos network would be a big seller. They would probably need a Play:Atmos speaker though as well.
Userlevel 7
I’m wondering when Sonos will figure out they need to offer in Wall/in ceiling speakers. I’m actually prototyping my own ceiling mount for such a thing now.

As far as prototyping your own ceiling mounts you may want to visit Amazon.com :8 Unless you have a revolutionary design.
Userlevel 7
Just trying to figure out how to engage Community to push sonos for atmos implementation.

I've seen this same request/question elsewhere in the Sonos Community. Sonos aside I don't believe many actually understand what is required for a Atmos setup. Maybe everyone should read-up on it at the link below which may answer questions not only about Sonos integration but any speaker array:

https://www.dolby.com/us/en/technologies/dolby-atmos/dolby-atmos-home-theater-installation-guidelines.pdf
Userlevel 7
Badge +20

I'm not aware of any video streaming service that supports anything higher that a Dolby Digital Plus at present. I have a substantial investment in an AV Receiver and Mordant Short speakers, in additional to my Sonos set-up, and love listening to good film sound tracks in DTS and Atmos but only from physical disks.

I've seen this same request/question elsewhere in the Sonos Community. Sonos aside I don't believe many actually understand what is required for a Atmos setup. Maybe everyone should read-up on it at the link below which may answer questions not only about Sonos integration but any speaker array:

https://www.dolby.com/us/en/technologies/dolby-atmos/dolby-atmos-home-theater-installation-guidelines.pdf

Thanks RJ40, that Dolby guide says:

---
Integrated speakers
You can select integrated Dolby Atmos enabled
speakers that include both traditional front - firing speakers and
upward - firing speakers in a single speaker cabinet or in - wall
configuration .

---

Now, where have I seen an upward firing speaker? Oh yeah, the Play 5 here:

https://www.gizmodo.com.au/2015/10/sonos-makes-a-play-to-reconquer-your-living-rooms-music/

Seems they are so close...Does anyone know if Atmos requires additional silicon, or can it be done in the firmware?
Userlevel 7
Badge +20

netflix has lots in Atmos

Sorry wasn't aware as I don't have an Xbox One or One S.
push
Please